Home
Posted By: Cntrmass Jetboil won't light HELP! - 11/02/11
my jetboil wont light using its igniter at all.
Any ideas?
TIA
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Jetboil won't light HELP! - 11/02/11
Does it spark? Are you using Jetboil Fuel?
Sounds like your ignitor might be touching the burner ring. My original Jetboil was doing that so I adjusted the ignitor so it was just barely off the burner ring and it worked great after that.
Posted By: add Re: Jetboil won't light HELP! - 11/03/11
Yep, adjust the ignitor distance and/or use a bit of sandpaper, emory cloth, or you wife's' nail file to clean up the surface...
couple of things.

I saw a jetboil igniter kit at REI the other day for about $5. You can replace the part.

I've also had the same problem. I heard that the newer jetboils aren't as bad in that regard. I took REI up on their 100% satisfaction warranty and swapped it out.

Regardless, it's a good idea to have your fire starting stuff handy so you can use your lighter if you have to.
Posted By: pointer Re: Jetboil won't light HELP! - 11/03/11
Mine did the same thing. I just keep a Bic in the cup with the stove part. IMO, works better and works for other things.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Jetboil won't light HELP! - 11/03/11

When I bought mine, I figured the igniter would stop working long before the rest of the stove was out of service.

When it goes, I'll just Bic it.
Posted By: CFVA Re: Jetboil won't light HELP! - 11/03/11
Very first time I used mine over 11k, had trouble lighting it and used a Bic. The next morning and every time since, it's lighted just fine. Only thing I touched was just tweaking the igniter gap.
Well, did you get it fixed?
Posted By: Cntrmass Re: Jetboil won't light HELP! - 11/03/11
How much igniter gap ? it makes spark.
If it makes spark then it should be good. Does it light using a ligter?
Posted By: Cntrmass Re: Jetboil won't light HELP! - 11/03/11
Cost was 9.95 here but I replaced the igniter works great.
If it sparks but doesn't light, and you can hear the fuel flowing, then check the igniter and make sure it is roughly 1/4" from the burner. If it is too close tot he burner, it will not light the fuel vapors. Just lift the igniter slightly and when you are about 1/4" gap, it should work.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Jetboil won't light HELP! - 05/17/17
Make sure that there are no cracks in the regulator. The regulator can fail if you take them down to far in temperature. You have to look closely. You will know if it has problems.
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
If it sparks but doesn't light, and you can hear the fuel flowing, then check the igniter and make sure it is roughly 1/4" from the burner. If it is too close tot he burner, it will not light the fuel vapors. Just lift the igniter slightly and when you are about 1/4" gap, it should work.

Looks like he got 'r fixed. Of course, that was six years ago so maybe it broke again?
Ours would not work at 10K either, but it was windy AF. We used a lighter. Bic, for the gear snobs.
Holy crap that's funny.
Ha! Stupid me, replying to a 6 year old thread. But hey, anybody else got a problem with their jet boil I can help with? I've fixed mine so many times I can take it apart and put it back together in the dark.
Posted By: Buck_ Re: Jetboil won't light HELP! - 05/30/17
Ha! Stupid me, replying to a 6 year old thread. But hey, anybody else got a problem with their jet boil I can help with? I've fixed mine so many times I can take it apart and put it back together in the dark.

I wouldn't have seen your good tip if you hadn't replied to the thread.
Posted By: MLF Re: Jetboil won't light HELP! - 05/30/17
Jetboil sells a new igniter kit.
Originally Posted by MLF
Jetboil sells a new igniter kit.

You are just one letter away from fun...

Hey, it just made me laugh. If one has helpful information I couldn't care less (could care less for the morons) how old a thread its. There's nothing wrong with it. There's also nothing wrong, contrary to what the internet bullies think, with asking a question that may have been asked before.
© 24hourcampfire