Home
Posted By: scouter Kryptek - 10/23/12
I have now had a chance to use the Kryptek aegis coat and pants. They took the place of well worn Sitka gear. The Kryptek gear is amazing in my opinion at least the equal of Sitka. What is your opinion of Kryptek gear.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Kryptek - 10/23/12
Did you get the new camo pattern or the Mountain Mimcry camo? Been contemplating this stuff for quite some time and i'm extremely interested in their rain gear.
Posted By: scouter Re: Kryptek - 10/23/12
I got the new camo pattern. The quality of the gear is what impressed me. The aegis coat is the best hunting jacket I have ever had and the pants are outstanding. I will now use Kryptek exclusively. The price/quality ratio is outstanding.
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Kryptek - 10/23/12
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Did you get the new camo pattern or the Mountain Mimcry camo? Been contemplating this stuff for quite some time and i'm extremely interested in their rain gear.

I picked up the mountain mimicry kryptek blockade rain gear, and found it quieter than the Sitka stormfront lite jacket. I look forward to field testing it this fall, but it passed the shower test for keeping the moisture out.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Kryptek - 10/23/12
I'll be interested in reading your review, not that I want it to rain on any of your hunts but a good weather test would be good.
Posted By: Monashee Re: Kryptek - 10/23/12
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the Cadog coat and pants but it still like to hear some more Campfire reviews before I do. Monashee
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Kryptek - 10/24/12
I picked up a pair of Kryptek Valhalla Minimalist pants for my Colorado archery elk hunt this year. Have worn them around home hunting as well. Like the pants a lot, lots of stretch, and comfortable. Not overly impressed with the stitching thus far, however. I've got lots of pulled threads around the knee/thigh seams. May send them back to Kryptek to see what they can do about it.

Otherwise, great pants and will probably try out a few more of their offerings.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: Kryptek - 10/24/12
I have some Kryptek gear coming on order. Looking forward to seeing how it works on rainy Prince of Wales next month for a week.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kryptek - 10/24/12
FWIW and FYI;

Kryptek Cerdic Hoodie

Regular Price:
$119.99

Sale Price:
$49.99

Cabelas
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Kryptek - 10/24/12
Just ordered a hoodie, thanks Mike!!
Posted By: jaime7818 Re: Kryptek - 10/24/12
I have the old scout vest from cabelas. For the price on sale, the quality of the production, warmth/comfort to weight ratio, I thought it was worth the money. Packs decently to. It fits my athletic build comfortably.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kryptek - 10/24/12
I enjoy spending other's money for them!
Posted By: TheHawk Re: Kryptek - 10/24/12
I bought one of the Cerdic Hoodies last year. I think it was a specially licensed "Black Friday" promotional piece done by Cabelas as opposed to something designed by Kryptek. It is nice, although more for wearing around camp than a serious piece of hunting gear. The other stuff by Kryptek is legit.

Highlander or Mountain Mimicry both look sweet to me. I guess it would depend on your typical hunting conditions on which you should pick.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Kryptek - 10/24/12
I needed something that I could wear a bit more causually around camp and the house. Looks like it might be ok to wear on those August days sheep hunting too. We'll see.
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Kryptek - 10/26/12
Anybody used the wool baselayers? Seems cheap at $60.
Posted By: TheHawk Re: Kryptek - 10/26/12
I also bought a set of the merinos for me and my wife. They are very soft and seem to have a good thread count. They have held up very well for me over one full season of use. The merinos may be the biggest bargain of all of the Kryptek line, at the same quality as Sitka, but half the price.
Posted By: Brother_Bill Re: Kryptek - 10/26/12
Under what conditions have you used them so far?
Posted By: scouter Re: Kryptek - 10/26/12
Mostly deer hunting a couple of bird hunts and an elk hunt. So far it has held up perfectly, but time will tell. In my opinion it has been Sitka quality and a significantly less cost.
Posted By: Brother_Bill Re: Kryptek - 10/27/12
Not exactly what I was hoping for....but thanks.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kryptek - 10/27/12
I'm afraid Kryptek will be more of the same, which as kept me from getting any. So much cheap chink chit floating around. On a positive note, I destroyed a new pair of cheap chink chit Merino wool First Lite pants today. 7 miles on Fernando apparently was too much for them to not get a giant hole ripped in them. Did manage to spill a little blood, which makes it all better.

Next...
[Linked Image]

Posted By: LeftHunter Re: Kryptek - 10/28/12
I have used some of the Kryptik stuff off and on over the last year and have been very happy with it. In September my brother and I backpacked into one of the Montana Unlimited bighorn sheep units and were there for a 6 days. We used a pair of their pants and shirts the whole time (i don't remember off hand exactly which ones). I would imagine between the hike in and out pus walking and looking for sheep we covered at least 40 miles. The only thing I can tell is that the pants are starting to wear a little at the very bottom of the pant leg where my boots probably touch together as I am walking and climbing.
Posted By: Whisky Re: Kryptek - 10/28/12
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm afraid Kryptek will be more of the same, which as kept me from getting any. So much cheap chink chit floating around. On a positive note, I destroyed a new pair of cheap chink chit Merino wool First Lite pants today. 7 miles on Fernando apparently was too much for them to not get a giant hole ripped in them. Did manage to spill a little blood, which makes it all better.

Next...
[Linked Image]

My First Lite pants are currently with First Lite either getting sewn back up or replaced. They didn't last 1 weekend in the backcountry. I love merino wool as base layers, but outerwear, not so much.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kryptek - 10/28/12
I'll have to wash mine up, and send it back. It just isn't made to last.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Kryptek - 10/29/12
Is merino wool really tough enough to use as outer wear? I just can't see it lasting, especially when busting through bush, crawling across scree or hiking steep rocky mountain trails.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kryptek - 10/29/12
It's supposed to have that rip stop stitching in it.. I had hopes, as I wanted something quiet for slipping through the brush on the rare dry day. I've got 2 more pairs of those pants, so I'll at least get 2 more hunts..(grin)

I think I'll have momma patch them up and see what happens.
Posted By: Whisky Re: Kryptek - 10/29/12
Is merino wool really tough enough to use as outer wear? I just can't see it lasting, especially when busting through bush, crawling across scree or hiking steep rocky mountain trails.

No, at least not in a pant. I also had high hopes, as they re designed the pant last year to supposedly make them more durable. It's been a while and I haven't heard back from First Lite. But if they send me a new pair I'll be selling them.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Kryptek - 10/29/12
Gimme some details on that Kryptek Hoodie please,

How thick is the material? somewhat thin, or a little thicker like a traditional hoodie? Or compared to other Sitka Gear clothing such as Mountain pants, shirts, base layers?

How is the sizing running, order your normal size or +1 size?

Hand pockets? I'm thinking no.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Kryptek - 10/29/12
Kenneth, mine should be getting here soon, i'll pass on a report once I get them.
Posted By: AJG1 Re: Kryptek - 10/29/12
Does Kryptek's rain gear breath well? I have had plenty of problems with other jackets that keep water out but they don't do anything with the heat and moisture coming from my body. Thats what I love about Sitka and the fact that they use gore-tex because it is breathable rain gear. I also haven't had any issues with stitching.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Kryptek - 10/30/12
Kenneth, mine should be getting here soon, i'll pass on a report once I get them.

I was kinda hoping for some info before my size ran out, smile
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Kryptek - 11/01/12
Kenneth, I recieved my Kryptek hoodie yesterday and gave it a good once over, though I obviously haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

The first thing that struck me was how similar it was to my Sitka Mtn shirt, about the same weight (material wise) except with the hood. I also like how the collar goes inside the hood and the single chest pocket is perfect for holding your hunting license/tags. One thing I was a bit surprised at was the sizing, with all the other camo clothing I have bought I always had to go a size bigger but this hoodie is actually a little big on me.

I love my mtn shirt and wear it every hunting season so I can see this getting some use. I'm helping a friend this weekend to try and fill his moose tag and will probably wear it as a layering piece. Also, Cabelas raised the price to $69 too. Hope this helps.
© 24hourcampfire