Home
Does not appear to be many Eberlestock fans on here. I have an Eberlestock X-1 daypack that I feel is well made, and I have been pretty satisfied with. I'd love to have a Kifaru but not sure I want to spend that much money. On the other hand, I don't want to spend $300 and be disatisfied either.

So why is it that Eberlestock has so few fans on here? And if not Eberlestock, is there another quality hunting pack that doesn't break the bank?

edit: It is not my intent nor desire to start a debate or an "us vs. them" type thread. I'm genuinely seeking input and thoughts.
I have two, J105 & X-2. Really like them!
Their rifle stocks are outstanding at least the old biathlon ones were. I think the bags are well made, they just don't utilize the best load bearing designs of the top designs.

Best bag that doesn't brake the bank is definitely the marine corp. ILBE.
They carry weight like a drunk whore on your back is my complaint! Well made and thought out just not comftorble with any weight. If you have a 18" or less torso they are great.
Mine feels pretty good with weight. I had the entire main compartment nearly filled with elk meat, REALLY HEAVY, and the pack (J105) felt great. I really like the way the pack can expand and include the spike camp duffel for the trek in. Then, for hunting, it closes down much smaller.
What's the definition of "REALLY HEAVY" ???
I had an early X1 that was good for 20-30lb or so then it got uncomfortable. Worked fine as a day pack but couldn't haul much. The new X1 looks better. Traded up to an X2 that feels realy good on my back. It has a stout frame and should have no problem packing a whole Blacktail. Hoping to do that this year. I have a 105 collecting dust waiting for me to do an alpine overnighter. That will have to wait till the boat is back together ie. next fall.
Originally Posted by Maverick940

It's relative.
Eberle and durable cannot be used in the same sentence. For starters..
Snubbie-
I used a j34 this season on my elk hunt, a six day backpacking trip into wilderness. My thoughts so far:
It's a pack that tries to cover both ends of the spectrum, (compress small for a daypack/expand big for a load hauler) and this approach always means some compromises. There are packs that are better for just a day hunt and there are packs that haul heavy loads better.

It was comfortable going in and out with 60lbs, and comfortable and quiet when compressed on day hunts out of camp. I liked the scabbard though my cds turret did not. The waterproof zippers kept the gear inside dry, but the exterior fabric and suspension held water and the pack gained a lot of weight. (It rained or snowed every day.)

I'd take it again knowing that the first trip from the kill sight with meat will be productive but less comfortable than subsequent trips done with my Dana Loadmaster. I don't like having to dead-head back to camp to get a pack before the meat recovery can begin.

Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by Maverick940

It's relative.

Yes, I imagine so. I've noticed that 80-100 pounds is a "REALLY HEAVY" load for some of my diminutive female clients and that 175-225 pounds is a "REALLY HEAVY" load for some of my "professional football player" size male clients. So, it's all relative, I guess.
I have a Dana Design Terraplane the carries a camp size load fairly comfortably 50-60 lbs. On my daily hunts from camp, I carried it, the thought being if I shot something I didn't want to hump back to camp to get a pack. However, the DD doesn't cinch down as tightly as I would have liked for a "day pack" mode, and it was noisy. I'm not sure once you get into the 5000ci range there exists a pack that will cinch down although Eberlestocks claim they do. I suppose the DD would comfortably carry more than I care to carry and hold up.

The Eberlestock packs are a good deal less cost than the Kifaru, and I'm curious as to the "desirable vs undesirable" features.

I've packed out a whitetail in my X-1 though it was not comfortable.

Maverick, I would define a heavy load as 70-80 lbs. Of course, terrain and distance comes into play.
Snub:

Yes, 70-80 pounds can be an awfully heavy load, considering the terrain. Eighty pounds of day-hunting gear and some mountain goat meat - carried down through a series of cliffs over the course of 2,000 feet in elevation descent - can be a tricky load, at best. By the same token, a mere twenty pounds upon someone's back can be life threatening when trying to negotiate a foaming glacial cataract while on a Dall sheep hunt. As PRM mentioned, it's all relative.

Maverick
I wouldn't carry 80 lbs of day hunting gear but was thinking more of packing meat. I suspect the meat from a mule deer, pack, basic gear and some water would be around that weight.
I don't even want to think about packing elk or moose!

What pack do you use?
Originally Posted by snubbie
I wouldn't carry 80 lbs of day hunting gear but was thinking more of packing meat. I suspect the meat from a mule deer, pack, basic gear and some water would be around that weight.
I don't even want to think about packing elk or moose!

What pack do you use?

Just to clarify; it was mentioned (hypothetically) as a combined eighty pounds (day-hunting gear plus some goat meat).

Depending on the type of hunt, the type of weapon, the region within North America and the specie, my day-hunting gear cab be anywhere between 30-55 pounds.

Again, depending on type of hunt, the type of weapon, the region within North America and the specie, I'll choose either a Alaska Frontier Gear packframe with bag or a basic packframe which I once purchased at Sportsmen's Warehouse, or a simple daypack which I happened to once purchase at Walmart and which is nothing more than your basic (though somewhat large) "school books" type pack.

For me, there's really no reason to expend exorbitant amounts of money, when simple and inexpensive devices work just as well. I'm an advocate and example of "the maximum amount of field experience is reflected in the minimum amount of gear required" theology.

I'm not big on gadgetry (of any kind) and find it very unnecessary, anyway.
I am 55 y.o. computer jock living at 800ft elevation. I am not an expert on back packs by any stretch. But, I own 2 Eberlestock packs, a J107 and an X1. Both have the XL padded hip belts to fit over my winter clothes. I put about 52 miles on the J107 in the past few months during practice hikes getting ready for Colorado 2nd Rifle. The pack was weighted to about 60-62 lbs. (9 lb pack, 11 lb rifle, 40 lbs weights and lead shot, accessory pouches, bladder, occasionally a side arm in holster). Practice hikes were typically 2.5 to 3.5 miles around the farm with 400 to 600 ft total elevation gain/loss.

At no point during my training hikes was the J107 pack ever uncomfortable. No blisters, no rubs, no sore shoulders, etc. Spent 7 or 8 days with the J107 pack in Colorado two weeks ago elk hunting. 3 to 5 miles per day, 500 to 1800 ft elevation. No scale, but estimating pack wt approx 30 lbs. Again, no "comfort" issues for me. I also used the X1 pack for a couple of the days above (with XL padded hip belt). No comfort issues with the X1 either.

My issue with the J107 is the 8.5 to 9.0 lb pack wt. It works well for me to haul a bunch of stuff. But the weight seems excessive for a day pack. That is why I bought the X1. However, what I struggled with this year was swapping gear between the two packs. Not having "two of everything", the couple days I swapped packs there was always the nagging question in the back of my head "Did I get everything I will need for today ?"

To the OP, after two trips to Colorado, hunting between 8,000 and 12,000 feet, I have not had any comfort issues with Eberlestock packs. Have not been "blessed" yet with the opportunity to pack out elk quarters on the J107. So can not speak to comfort with loads in excess of 60 lbs...

I really don't know what my pack weight was with the meat. I do know it was in the mid-60s when packing gear in, and that did not feel bad at in the slightest. The meat loads were dramatically heavier. To the point it was an effort to lift it up onto a deadfall where I could slide under it, get it on and stand up. The weight, while heavy, was well distributed and 'comfortable'. If I have a complaint with the J105 it's that the weight can be a bit far back due to the scabbard. Only an issue when zipping on the spike camp duffel. I believe the newer versions have revised the straps to help tighten then down. But, it handled as much weight as I ever intend to haul and did it well, while also being flexible in transitioning from large bulky loads to day-pack mode. After using it, I'm pleased and not in the market for another pack.
Thanks for the replies. It's nice to have those more experienced, including professionals to weigh in.
Thanks again.
With the belt off, if my Gunslinger (the original, not the current G2) is fully loaded, it can be uncomfortable. Simple solution--if it's going to be fully loaded, i use the damn belt.

that said, now that i have a MR Crew Cab and their 3-day assault pack, I really won't be using the gunslinger as much. of course, i say that after having used the G2 and my issued alice ruck in a convoy yesterday from LNK to another fob. (grin)
Bought an X2 before hunting season this year. Packed out my bull elk. 1st trip was rear quarter bone and hide cinched on the outside. Will not do that again! Would not support the weight. Once I boned out the rest of the loads, it worked great. Really like it alot!
Originally Posted by byron
Bought an X2 before hunting season this year. Packed out my bull elk. 1st trip was rear quarter bone and hide cinched on the outside. Will not do that again! Would not support the weight. Once I boned out the rest of the loads, it worked great. Really like it alot!

I am planning to use my X2 next year. I've lightened up my camp load to easily fit, and I think the X2 will haul enough meat to suit me. I still want to load the X2 to ~90-100#s and see how it feels just to be sure. Good to hear it worked well for you.
I'm liking the looks of the new V-90. The J107 with a spike camp is probably more versatile.
On the subject of the spike duffle, I bought the super version but I don't know if it will ever make the trip. It's too heavy. I use an OR sil dry sack or trash compactor bag as a pack liner and with three compression straps on the pack there is no need to zip it on if it's carried externally.

It does make a nice duffle for non-backpacking trips though.
I've got a bad pack fetish! grin

I've owned 3 E Stocks and think they are well thought out packs. Now, I'll say I've never hunted out of one. I bought mine for the possible future hunt and mostly hiking/backpacking and emergency zombie kit.

Couple of things -
Resale- figure out what you want. Resale is around 50% of what you pay new. MR/Kifaru you can look at 60 to 80% depending on condition, particular model.

Hydration - horrible design on E Stock packs. Why Glen can't just design a sleeve on the pack and call it done is beyond me. A 3l bladder you can almost forget it. My half track and the X2 a 3l could fit in the outboard pockets. The GS2 no way.

Weight - heavy bags empty. No a big deal to me or most meat eaters, just something to consider if you want to save weight for a long distance hunt.

Maybe the biggest issue most have - made in Vietnam.

That said, I have owned the GS2, X2, and now a half track (hunting model)

I'd like to look at a Destroyer the new Jack Hammer and the Terminator some day.
I have the J34 also, this will be my first season hunting with it, so far in several hikes, 5-7 miles each seemed to do well. After the first hike with approx. 45 lbs of gear, I had to adjust and tweek the shoulder straps, but other than that, it was very comfortable. I am hunting 3rd and 4th seasons I will report back!
This is a great assessment of the E bags ppfd...thanks for breaking it down to a basic noschitt level
I used my J34 on a CO elk hunt last month. It carried 60 lbs. in and out fairly comfortably. Although the pack could have carried more, I could not especially at 10,000+ feet in altitude. If I had been in better shape, it would have been an even better experience. Great pack and I really like the scabbard.
I have a Tailhook, one of the Gunrunners, and the Warhammer. I have couple of the accesssory zip in bags, the duffles and a Mini-me.

The Tailhook has been used the hardest, and I will probably go back to it next year, used a Badlands Monster Fanny pack this year, but not happy with the design of it. You'll see it in the Classified soon.

My only serious complaint: Pack weight empty - the big packs all weigh several pounds above what I would consider needed. The padding is over-enginnered and is where most of the excess weight resides. The Tailhook had about 30 pounds in it, I wore it nine days and really thought it was a comfortable carry, but I didn't think it carried as much "stuff" as it should have for the weight loaded. For a big fanny pack, it doesn't carry that much "stuff". It doesn't have a space on the waist belt for a small holster, if you want to carry a small side arm, you have to use the molle straps on the outside of the waist pockets, they don't hold the holster vertical, unless the pocket is stuffed tight.

I'll be playing with the Warhammer this winter with about 50 pounds of sand weight in it to see what the carry issues are, if any. I haven't had a E-stock break yet, but have had the Badlands series tear straps out. FWIW, the Badlands crew were great and timely in repairing the issue, so can recommend their support of their products. Hope this helps.
I have a couple of J105s, that have had the chest buckle strap come unsewn after a few years of elk and a few years of moose hunting.

Then everyone kept saying they are junk and that the Longhunter of Patrick SMith was teh bomb. So I bought one. I have had it on one elk and one moose trip and I"ll grab the J105 every last time.

I can't bring myself to sell the longhunter, as its supposed to be so good... but it just doesn't do it any better than the 105 and is heavier/bulkier to me.

I am 5/10 and about 180-190 depending... I don't carry more than about 80 -100 pounds in the 105 so that may make a difference. But I have trained with 120 in it. Its not fun at 120 to me, but then I didn't think the Longhunter was fun at 120 for me either....
I don't have vast pack experience, but I like my blue widow pack. It seems very comfortable on my back. It will carry more than I can. It's empty weight is maybe a bit heavier than some, so those complaints are valid I suppose. I have desires to replace some equipment for next year, but the pack is not on that list.
Originally Posted by snubbie
The J107 with a spike camp is probably more versatile.

I did a 15-day sheep hunt with a Just-One 5-years ago. The spike camp turtleshells to the pack which results in a pack that pulls backwards. It doesn't carry weight well. My pack was uncomfortable at loads weights above day hunting weights.

I just finished a 16-day sheep hunt with a MR 6500. What a great pack. I killed a mule deer near the end of the hunt and carried a 90+ pound pack back to my spike camp. The weight sucked but the pack was comfortable. I've tried the same with other mule deer with the Just-one but ending up doing two loads as the pack was too uncomfortable with the heavy load.

Personally, I'd spend the money upfront and get a great pack (MR or Kifaru) versus trying to justify a lesser pack.
© 24hourcampfire