Home
Posted By: JWP58 So what backpack? - 01/01/13
What pack do you guys use? I've looked at the Sitka models, Badlands, ect.

What kind of pack would you use on a 3 day elk hunt in the mountains?

Anyone use milsurp frame packs?
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
None of us can agree on what's best. Something from Kifaru or Mystery Ranch is hardly a bad choice and a good place to start. The no longer produced Dana Flatbed frame packs have a loyal following and the used prices are starting to reflect this. Hill People Gear is, hopefully, going to have something similar available before next year's hunting season.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
You have entered a more dangerous zone than Remington SUCKs vs. Kimber Roulette vs. carry a big pig Marlin 45-70 lever action.

Most of us have 5-20 backpacks.
From ones found in dumpsters/lost and found to custom bespoke McHale packs that cost 2000.00.

I will tell you some things.

Stay away from a pack made in a foreign country unless it has been on the market for more than 10 years.

Old School Rules. A K2 Longbed from Ebay is going to be better than a Badlands/Eberlestock from Cabelas.

The president of Sitka gear was not using a Sitka model backpack on his backpack sheep hunt.

Stone Glacier($600+) vs. Kifaru Bikini Duplex T1($700+) right now is the emerging tech domestically made packs of choice right now.

A lot of people will tell you that a Barney's Pinnacle Hunter for about ($700) will be the last pack you will buy.

I have many Dana Design K2 Longbeds. They work great and are durable. I also have many other systems but not Kifaru/Stone Glacier yet. They are pretty spendy.

Do not buy Tenzing they are still working out kinks. Designs are good but zippers are not up to snuff yet. I used a TZ6000 this last season and it was ok. And perhaps carried pretty well but two zippers went south on me on first trip. This is inexcusable.
I have heard zippers going south on enough of them that it wasn't just me.

I have several Gregory and Lowe Alpine backpacking packs and they don't cut it with weight. I have heard that the big Ospreys are better. However, the more I get into this stuff the more I would say.

Get a good Kelty Cache Hauler. Get two large Silnylon Drybags 50L. Get some small bungie type cords. Bungie the drybags on the cache hauler and get used to carrying lots of weight both up and done hills. When you are carrying 80-100 lbs for 1 hour workouts then understand that a big packout could be 20-30 miles with 120lbs. You won't have that with your elk hunt but you will be getting ready to get into big country and you can use a window mount tripod for your spotter. Just lash it onto your packframe.

Marines have a decent pack made by Arcteryx. It probably would work for you as would a Just One Pack by Eberlestock. I have seen far too many Eberlestocks give up the ghost to recommend them for deep country. I experimented with the Eberlestock rifle scabbard on my K2 Longbed and I found that it would not hold the rifle and the seam separated down at the bottom near the crown of the barrel. I wouldn't recommend it. It was nifty idea but in reality it just can't handle abuse.

The Badlands Ox is a decent concept but I just feel that it doesn't have the ventilation that the other solutions I have mentioned have. It might be that I haven't tried one in the mountains yet.

Bullpacks look good but they are heavy. You start going towards an 11lb pack and that defeats the whole purpose.

So in the end I would advise you to find either a good Camptrails Freight frame pack or a Kelty Cache hauler and start from there.

Good boots that fit your feet are more important than spending thousands on packs. The other thing I would advise is that you can find lightweight solutions that aren't fancy but good but you have to be willing to be a bit miserable. Don't worry. We have all been miserable one time or another on the mountain.

Don't let not having very expensive gear keep you from spending as much time as you can in the Mountains. Your energy will more than make up for expensive gear.

Sincerely,
Thomas
Posted By: docdb Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
I've hunted out of Mystery Ranch most, flip between that and a McHale, both are way more pack than I merit. I've torn up an Osprey in rhododendron thickets here in Georgia, and seen an Arcteryx Bora tear up under a load in e sheep mountains.. Never used an external. I'm gonna give the Kuiu a try, just because. I've had several Kifaru packs and they are in the top tier, just haven't found the right one for me yet, AND their wait time exceeds my attention span.
I don't even pretend to imagine how you guys get an elk off the mountain. Half (the lighter half) of a sheep is all I have ever managed.
10-4 on the boots being a primary concern!
Lastly, if the lack of a backpack is keeping you home, give me a call.
Don
Posted By: snubbie Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
Well there you go!
Posted By: JWP58 Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
I hear you on the boots. Right now Im using North Face Ballards (got a great deal on them) and really like them so far. Have a few miles in them chasing birds this season. They handle tough terrain, and are super comfy.

Looks like i'll just have to figure out what works for me. And honestly the cheaper the better...(i.e. used lol)
Posted By: elkhunter_241 Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
I have the Stone Glacier Solo.

I hunt elk in the river breaks of North Idaho.

Boots and traction devices should be your #1 concern. Not just getting from point A to point B without any blisters, twisted or broken ankles, but STAYING on your feet for the trip, because the risk of taking even one spill can ruin your whole hunting season.

Look at really good boots and traction aids, either slip on spikes or full on corks and trekking poles.

Yes a pack is important and comes second on the list.

This is my take on the current pack picks.

A. All out lightweight no frills and no BS - Stone Glacier

B. Full featured add on extras and willing to take on the extra weight to get them - Kifaru

C. Cheap light on the budget and no extra money, the Marine Corps ILBE pack from Ebay.

D. Money is no object I want the best I can get - McHale.

Yes I had Mystery Ranch packs, they need to ditch the NICE frame and catch up to the market.
Posted By: BCJR Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
For a 3 day trip you don't need to go too overboard. About any 4000ci internal will do , don't over complicate a bologna sandwich. All the kit in the world won't matter as much as your physical condition a good pair of boots and good glass. 20 years in north Idaho and here in Alaska that's all I have learned.
Posted By: kutenay Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
Many different opinions, as well as differing levels of field experience and areas/types of use. The comments by "Kabok68" are well worth serious consideration and he makes points that are "true".

I have carried a wide variety of packs for 56.5 years, all over British Columbia, a lot of Alberta and a bit elsewhere in northern and eastern Canada. Much of this was for employment purposes and involved very heavy loads and some was long, solo trips in the remote wilderness of nothern BC.

I also worked in the gear industry and have owned most of the "highend" packs available from Euro., Canadian and American makers since the early '60s. I have some fairly definite opinions on quality control, customer service and durability where the current crop of packs is concerned.

First, you do NOT "need" a costly "state of the art" super pack to enjoy and succeed at backpack hunting, a Kelty Cache Hauler, Camp Trails Freighter, K-2 Dana Designs Shortbed or similar and often USED pack can get you started and may well meet your needs in total for many years.

I have two K2-Dana frame packs, one a Shortbed and also a Longbed Loadmaster and another Shortbed on the way here from California, all in mint shape and I actually prefer these, for most hunting over any of the several other highend packs I now own.

MY choices are, based on the absolutely critical factor of:

Fit-this MUST be right and is the primary consideration, as with footwear.

Quality of build and customer service-NOBODY I have ever dealt with comes even close to Mystery Ranch in this crucial area. Their packs are "heavy", I have now owned about 15 of them and my oldest is from 1978, still rocksolid and built as well as ANY custom pack I have seen.

Of all the "big name" US packs, Dana Design-Bozeman and the EARLY K2 packs built under Dana's supervision, plus the Mystery Ranch models from Bozeman, are THE BEST I have ever seen/used. Their customer service is legendary and IF one of their models in the size range you want will fit you, this is THE pack to buy and it will last decades, as mine have.

BEST pack, IF, you want an internal, it will cost a bundle, but, Dan McHale makes packs that nobody else has ever equaled, IMHO and while my experience with them is a fraction of that with DD-MR packs, Dan is THE man, if you have to have the ultimate.

Take your time, try out as many packs as possible, loaded with weights, I use sandbags,old concrete blocks wrapped in old towels fastened with duct tape and I would definitely speak with Evan Hill about the new pack they are now developing....his products, manner and gear knowledge impress me and he may well end up offering the "best" pack for hunters that most can afford.

There are, btw, usually good deals on barely used packs on the backpacking forums, the information-rich Kifaru.net forum-and here I have to compliment owner Patrick Smith, one of the first "gurus"of hunting packs as he allows sale of competitor's packs on the site he pays for, which I find a pretty decent way for a business person to behave........

I have found fine deals on "as new" packs on some of the backpacking forums, on Kifaru of course and on Evan's forum site.so, you can set your budget and see what you can find, the search itself is part of the fun.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
To the OP... I am a relative newbie to the whole back pack hunting scene. I have no where near the experience that previous posters have. But, to reiterate a couple things from above that have helped my learning curve:

1) Trekking poles make a big difference. Both in load carrying ability (less fatigue) and in traction/stability. I am 55 y.o. I had much less issue with side hilling and creek crossings in Colorado this year while using trekking poles than my younger compatriots without.

2) Test out your boots, with a weighted pack (60lbs), going up hill and down hill. Especially steep downhill. Toe bump sucks. I had to go up a full size in boot length to ensure I did not have toe bump on steep down hill with a loaded pack. Without first hand experience, it would not seem that a 60lb pack would make a significant difference in boot fit for a 220lb man. But, it does. Much easier to sort out at home, than in the field.

Just my $0.02. I am still learning as well...
Posted By: JFKinYK Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
I keep drooling over the Kifarus, Stone Glaciers, etc online. My sheep hunt last year was with a Bora 95, mostly because I got it free from a friend who's backpacking days are over. I plan on using it again this year (I'm cheap!). It worked well with a side access zipper and long pockets on the back for scope/tripod. The empty weight isn't too bad either. I cut off lots of extra straps, zipper pulls, etc.

My boots did get upgraded and I figure a little misery with a pack is ok for awhile, as long as my feet are good. I'll also get more use out of the boots for multiple activities. A hunting pack sees uses limited to backpack hunting.

A good pack/rain cover is a must for me. Works as an emergency shelter to curl up in. Keeps gear dry (especially by covering your pack overnight), and if large enough, even goes over your entire gun to keep it dry on the pack. It is also a very easy way to change the color/camo of your pack since those camo packs seem to be way more expensive.
Posted By: Romo Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
Kifaru LH and Barney's Freighter Frame with Pinnacle pack. McHale's intrigue me
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
I have a Kifaru Longhunter and Eberlestock J34 and like them both but for different reasons. The Kifaru has a bulletproof suspension system and carries weight comfortably. The J34 is just plain flexible with the ability to expand as needed. Both will carry more weight than I'm capable of handling.
Posted By: Vek Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
Once upon a time I was slogging one way with a dana terraframe, and met Kaboku68 slogging the other way with a dana longbed. The meeting point was at the very least a LONG and hazardous day's slog from the extraction airstrip, if not carrying an animal. At the rate I was moving, more like a 2-day walk.

A "3-day elk hunt in the mountains" can't likely occur too far from anything, so gear failure ain't going to ruin the hunt. On one of the multiple trips to the truck, fix your broken gear. Not so for where I saw Thomas. I've done that hunt four times with older dana packs. No question they work. I carry an extra waistbelt buckle, figuring that it's the only thing that could hamper a packout if it went. It hasn't gone yet.

If you want to fiddle-fart around with every new lightweight foo-foo boutique camo pack on the market, feel free to hand over the big dough and have at it. If you want a pack that works, ebay an older dana terraplane or external frame, doll it up with appropriately colored krylon if needed, spend your big money on optics, and train like a world-class rugby player.

Well heres the deal. This coming season (2013) will be the first time I "backpack" hunt.

I plan on putting in for tags in wilderness areas (nat'l forest) in Wyoming (where i live). So honestly I can get as remote as I want to.

It will also be the first season I hunt with a Bow. So realistically I probably wont even be succesful (well until rifle season rolls around).

So right now, Im leaning towards a mil surplus pack (unless its ridiculously uncomfortable) because I dont want to throw down tons of cash on a boutique pack.

Thanks for all the advice. Im gonig to go the K.I.S.S. route.

P.S. Im young, in good shape already, but the cardio workouts have already begun. (plus it helps living at 6k ft year round)
Posted By: BCJR Re: So what backpack? - 01/01/13
"Thanks for all the advice. Im gonig to go the K.I.S.S. route."

SMART
After doing a little digging on ebay looks like I can pick up a USMC pack (designed by arcteryx i believe) for around $100 bucks.

Bam, theres my pack.
Posted By: sawtoothsteve Re: So what backpack? - 01/02/13
I see no comments for or against the 2012 kuiu packs. Have been hoping to hear some results from those users this season. Ordered one to get a look-see. Love the bag, want to be sure about the frame and suspension before deciding to keep or send back.

Any first hand user feedback to contribute to the discussion?
Posted By: JWP58 Re: So what backpack? - 01/02/13
Just bought a usmc ilbe internal frame pack.

Now I gotta buy a bow lol.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: So what backpack? - 01/02/13
YMMV- Kuiu came a very long way this last year and it looks much improved from the older one. Problem is that it is at the same price point as Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Barney's.

I will give you a test that I can tell you will show the difference between the old dinosaurs that many treasure(K2,Barneys,Some Keltys in there too.) Load up your Kuiu with 200lbs of 5-25lb plastic coated kmart weights. The type you can get for just gear testing. They are made of some type of cheap concrete. You can find a 200lb set at yard sales for free or some such. Load the pack and walk 2.5-3 miles on flat country and see if the pack will be able to take the abuse. This includes you taking many breaks after the first mile. It is just like packing a moose quarter-remember you can seriously hurt your knees so be careful. This isn't for testing your capabilities its just for testing the durability of the pack. Putting it on and taking it off. It will stress the seams the suspension and make everything creak. Aluminum cotter pins on the old packs can actually kind of explode and pop off like 22 shells.
Packs of the first stripe will take this abuse and smile back.
There is a reason that those Dana Design Terraplanes are still outthere. They are plain tough.

I watched the testing of the new improved Icon on Jason's forum but I noticed that the Kroneberger guides didn't have them instead they had barney's pinnacles.

Kifaru right now is leading the pack debates because of Aron and Rokslide. The picture of Aron and the Ku5200 with a goat in it sold a heck of a lot of packs. The Alaskans that have them seem to like them. They sell them in such a way that there are constant addons. Kind of like AR-15s with rails, lights, bells and whistles.

One thing that has happened is that many of the new pack producers put a lot of webbing on their packs. I notice that their users cut a bunch of them off.

Jerry-Vek- We both were hurting units on that glacier. My foot ended up having a broken 1st Metarsal and was completely smashed severe contusion that extended to my ankle. I limped around for more than a month after I got back. However, at the time I was optimistic and thought it was just a really bad rock bruise. I knew you guys had another two weeks and wasn't going to get in the way of that. I was really hoping that you guys would catch up with that big ram. I found out this fall that that valley is where Toney Oney shot his big sheep. He went up it a ways and caught them near the top-I guess that there is a little green bowl up there. I don't know how you could of got by the "guards" but I know that the old guy probably died. Nobody got anything in there this year-either Claus or three different parties that were dropped by Gary. He dropped off an extra because all three groups went 1-2 barbeque and headed for pickup.
My wife and I made a go for the Cathedrals and for the creeks behind the lower strip. There were goats there including 1 good billy and 2 adult mature billys that would have been freezer fare. However, the next day they(the goats) worked their way up into the back valley above a 80ft waterfall. We got up into there and my wife vetoed my climbing attempt by just telling me what the hell was she going to do if I climbed up there and fell and broke my azz.
We backed down and went up the next creek. This is the back door to the cathedrals and we got up there and couldn't find a full curl. Plenty of 3/4s(5yeos 1 was a pretty good looking guy) but now you got to shoot a full curl in that unit. We climbed back over the lateral morraine on the back of the airstrip and waited hoping the stupid goats would come back to where we could get them. They never did for three days. we weathered the great tropical blow and ended up bailing after 6 days. Gary is talking more and more about retirement. I think that I can convince my wife to go into the glacier this year. I bought her a custom 6.5X55 mexican mauser and will put Z3-3X-9 ultralight on it.

Book is still coming along.

I put in for some drawing tags but I probably will have Gary fly me in someplace.

Back to OP. I have watched one of the kids at school abuse the hell out of his Marine Pack. I have never been elk hunting so I don't know but it looks good.

I hope people who read this know one thing.
1) Boots come first(German, Norwegian or Italian) get the best most durable boot that fits your type of foot. Get it wet and walk in it until it is dry.

2) Get the best possible optics that you can afford. I read these magazine writers who say that all you need is a 10X30 bushnell or Nikon or something. Good for them. Outfitter probably scouted the living hell out of the whole area. Under those circumstances they probably are right but if you are going into country green without scouting get a very good pair of 10X40s minimum and sit and spot as much as you can. I have a pair of 8X43 HD Elite Bushnells that were probably the best binocular that Bushnell ever produced. I also have a pair of Zeiss Victory 10X42 T* that I bought on sale. You can find a heck of a lot more animals with the Zeiss than you can find with the Bushnells. Whenever you go and shop for optics do the dollar test. Take a 1$ bill and pin it 30 yards from optics counter. Which binoculars can you see the signature of the Secretary of the Treasury. Now which ones can you see the script for the secretary of the treasury. You will find the big name binos can do it. Now a lot of people are going to say that they don't have the cash to buy the top step Binos. But I can tell you that it will make a considerable difference in how many critters that you will see. They are worth it.

3) Packs are next.

4) Sleeping bags, tents and stoves- All creature comforts. You can get by with $100 Marmot Trestles, Eureka Grand Mesa 2(150) and cheap MSR pocket rocket and a empty beef stew can. Maybe some trash bags but the top three are more important.
Best luck in the new year.
Thomas

Posted By: blgoode Re: So what backpack? - 01/02/13
I use a Kifaru Tailgunner TG1 for deer and squirrel hunting, a Kifaru X-Ray for EDC, a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab for hauling deer out of woods. Can't go wrong with either of those 2 companies.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
Mystery Ranch 3600ci Metcalf bag with the NICE frame. Lightest bag for the NICE yet, certainly big enough for 3 days, and more elk meat than you can carry.
Posted By: Sancho_Maes Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
I have used 3 different Mystery Ranch packs, both of the first generation Kuiu packs, and 3 Kifaru packs/bags. It seems as though the Kifaru seem to carry the best for me. I used the standard timberline for about 6 months last summer and into hunting season. I was pleased with that bag. I decided to give the Duplex timberline a go and have been using that for a few months now. The thing is built rock solid and carrier well for me. I have found that the new Bikini Frame Kifaru pack frame and bag very intriguing and plan to try that one out more ASAP. It seems like a excellent cross between the standard suspension and the Duplex Frame.

Bottom Line is you will find different packs suit people needs differently and will carry differently according to your body's characteristics.

I would look into buying a used Kifaru pack or the new bikini frame. JMO.

-Dan
Posted By: Brad Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
The only pack currently made that I'd own is the Arcteryx Bora 80 or 95, and there's a lot I don't like about those.

My favorite packs are the older Osprey Vector line (from the 1990's) and Dana's from the same era. Their Loadmaster externals are as good as it gets for a hunting pack.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the pack market today, unlike all other things in the BP world, has gone backwards, not forwards.

Posted By: kutenay Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
I disagree, the boots we used to be able to buy, European-made were FAR superior to any I can find now. The best boots I can find will show leather fatigue and are "lasted" with these pathetic injection molds and are not even close to my old Galibiers, older Scarpa, Meindl or several other makes of the '60s and '70s.

Packs, we do agree here, the only improvement in the current MR "G" packs over the older Terraplanes and Astroplanes is in the tauter and firmer back panel. The older harness straps were FAR superior to those now made, but, the new ones still work.

I will soon have two Loadmaster frames and the Longbed Loadmaster, the total cost of all of these in new shape was about what I paid in Canuckbux, tax and shipping in, for my fully rigged MR NICE 6500.

This, is one reason why I try to advise beginners to buy used and try stuff out to find what works for you, not any other person.

That said, I am wearing as my everyday shoes, a pair of Norwegian-lasted Zamberlan "Nuvaluos" which are,so far, pretty impressive and may herald a return to REAL, LEATHER boots that last and give the support needed in steep country. Time will tell, but, after six months, one rugged trip in the Kootenays and lots of health hikes, I am quite happy with them.
Posted By: Brad Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
Kute, I wouldn't take an MR for free. I regret feeling that way, but I despise the suspension. It's a big compromise designed to get away from making more than one size. The NICE is another compromise, built around military contracts and ALICE dimensions.

Marketing...
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
A lot of divergent views here as everyone has a different body and its reaction to various packs. This is one of those scenarios that a better move would be to go to a well stocked store and try on different models. Even then a cursory "test" may not be the same when trekking around in the bush with weight in the back.

I would like to defend the Eberlestock previously mentioned by Kakobuka68. I have a ten year old Just One that has been all over the western US including 6 trips to Alaska. I must report zero failures in all aspects including the rifle scabbard which I think is a great idea! I loathe the Kifaru Gun Bearer so you can see this is a personal topic.

The Kuiu was pretty nice but I couldn't get used to the folding technique to close the large compartment. I wanted a high quality zipper.

I will be testing a new to me Eberlestock X1 in the next week on the upcoming elk hunt. This is a scaled down version of the Just One - more suitable for a daypack.

Anyway, in the backpacking/camping arena, if you find something you like that works well - GO BUY ANOTHER ONE.
Too many times the manufacturer discontinues the model, cheapens it or goes out of business.

Posted By: Kevin_T Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
The vector series ospreys are nice. Mine is long in the tooth but still gets used. My wife almost picked up another for $40 at a thrift store but wasn't sure if it would fit me. I run the silhouette with the vector compression but no lid. It's about 6lb in that config and around 6000 cubic if I recall.

You can do a lot worse than a Kelty cache hauler for heavy loads as well. The compression buckle broke on one load out but that's really my only complaint for what it is. For big loads it is what I would go to first.
Posted By: Shag Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
A lot of divergent views here as everyone has a different body and its reaction to various packs. This is one of those scenarios that a better move would be to go to a well stocked store and try on different models. Even then a cursory "test" may not be the same when trekking around in the bush with weight in the back.

I would like to defend the Eberlestock previously mentioned by Kakobuka68. I have a ten year old Just One that has been all over the western US including 6 trips to Alaska. I must report zero failures in all aspects including the rifle scabbard which I think is a great idea! I loathe the Kifaru Gun Bearer so you can see this is a personal topic.

The Kuiu was pretty nice but I couldn't get used to the folding technique to close the large compartment. I wanted a high quality zipper.

I will be testing a new to me Eberlestock X1 in the next week on the upcoming elk hunt. This is a scaled down version of the Just One - more suitable for a daypack.

Anyway, in the backpacking/camping arena, if you find something you like that works well - GO BUY ANOTHER ONE.
Too many times the manufacturer discontinues the model, cheapens it or goes out of business.

With all due respect BW I'm with Thomas on this one. A guy would be far better of and spend less on a Dana Design Longbed or an older used Dana Internal. You couldn't pay me to ever use an Eberle again. Glad it's worked out for you but they really aren't worth the money. Long story short I tried 3 different J105's all three had failures and as bad a heavy hauler the J104 was the J105 wasn't much better. JMO
Posted By: hunting1 Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
"I wouldn't take an MR for free. I regret feeling that way, but I despise the suspension. It's a big compromise designed to get away from making more than one size. The NICE is another compromise, built around military contracts and ALICE dimensions."

+100 but each person is different and pack fit is so personal. They are very well built though! My choice for heavy loads is the Full Curl and under 75-lbs my favorite is the Siwash by Kifaru. The Cache Hauler wasmy previous work horse.
Posted By: elkhunter_241 Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
You could give me an MR for free, but I would sell it and buy a Stone Glacier. smile
Posted By: JFKinYK Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
Is there any gathering, or outdoor expo, or store, or something, where all these packs are lined up - Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Dana, Osprey, Arcteryx, Kuiu, MR etc etc, with 100 lbs in them and at least a 1/2 mile loop trail set up over varying terrain, and people can walk up and try them out?

If not, why not!?!?
Posted By: NathanL Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
Originally Posted by JFKinYK
Is there any gathering, or outdoor expo, or store, or something, where all these packs are lined up - Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Dana, Osprey, Arcteryx, Kuiu, MR etc etc, with 100 lbs in them and at least a 1/2 mile loop trail set up over varying terrain, and people can walk up and try them out?

If not, why not!?!?

Becuase these packs make up a tiny fraction of the packs sold overall and even finding those in one place is difficult.

Backpackers might buy a new pack every couple of years, or every year for heavy backpackers. Hunters normally keep a pack for a long time. The market is small.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by JFKinYK

If not, why not!?!?

Becuase these packs make up a tiny fraction of the packs sold overall and even finding those in one place is difficult.

Backpackers might buy a new pack every couple of years, or every year for heavy backpackers. Hunters normally keep a pack for a long time. The market is small.

95% or more of the hunting population doesn't need a good backpack. They either load them whole, or are so close to the vehicle, a half mile hump isn't going to matter. It might look cool to have a nice backpack. I saw a thread on the bowsite of a guy with crampons walking through a slushy snowbank on an August coastal mountain goat hunt. Funny stuff, but at least he had some sweet gear.

I just used a calculator and found that I humped over 800 pounds of dead animals this year in a Mystery Ranch backpack, distances of 2 miles to 14 miles. I've been tired and beat, but never sore back or shoulders. If I thought something would work better for me, I'd probably use it. Brad, I want to borrow your bora to see if I like it.
There are a number of sound reasons why such an outlet does not and is not likely to exist. The first is that all of the "name" packs are made by highly individualistic people who are competing with each other and are not about to make it "easy" for anyone to try competitor's packs before buying theirs.

Next, contrary to what most seem to think and even with the high markups in the "softgoods", i.e., some "kewl" tourist coming to BC wearing a highend G/T or eVent shell that was built for Everest[and 99% of the dudes do exactly that, makes us howl with laughter,] there is not actually a lot of money in the gear industry. This, is particularly true of the highend gear usually discussed here, MR, Kifaru, Valandre and so on.

Greenhorn, has nailed another important aspect of this and I can say that here in BC, one of big game trophy collecting's real "meccas", relatively FEW hunters actually backpack hunt and "dude hunters" from the US, and other foreign nations almost never do.

There are good reasons for this involving the size of many of our game species, the still very remote and wild country that can be and often is dangerous for any but genuinely skilled persons and the huge number of ATVs, 4x4s, river jet boats and other technical devices that most can now avail themselves of to bring home the "bacon".

I would like to stress here, again, that you DO NOT need to have all of the fancy and costly gear that is discussed here to successfully backpack hunt. The whole "art" has become so commercialized that the original purpose (s) have been smothered in WHO HAS the BEST, blah, blah, blah and also WHO KILLS THE MOST, yada, yada,yada.

Among the most successful hunters I know is my 52 year old cousin in Nelson, BC, a former N.H.L. hockey player and owner of a large construction firm that he has built from the beginning over the past 30+ years. He is VERY fit, large, strong, tough and loves to be out in the bush, all over BC.

I visited him last October and he jokingly said, " you know, Dewey, I see all these guys with all the fancy gear, buying new [bleep] all the time and they never shoot any game"....... This, is a bit of an exaggeration, but, not too far from the truth here in BC, from my observations since I started backpack camping and hunting in 1964 and working in bush for the BCFS the next spring.

Much of my hunting clothing is 20+ years old, some mended, faded and almost ALL of it is Cabela's grade stuff, it has worked for me just fine and the latest COOHOO or whatever matched camo sets, new pack model every year and all sorts of gadgets to supposedly do what real bush skills should do are just a commercial marketing ploy to take your money.

Get a Kelty Cache Hauler, some good USED gear and get out there, you will make mistakes, will sometimes be tired, dirty, smell bad and if solo, you WILL get lonely, but, it will all progress for you until you are a competent and happy backpack hunter.

Then, you get old, like me, and as your abilities decline with age, you will have memories that make life so very much more enjoyable.
Posted By: JFKinYK Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
Wow, Kutenay. All I can really say after that is "Hell Yeah!"
Posted By: 22WRF Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
Great post Kute. And I certainly agree with you that when a guy gets old his abilities start to decline! I don't even know if I could carry anything in it if I were to have one of these fancy packs you guys are talking about here!
Posted By: Kach Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
Hi everyone! Long time lurker but this is my first post!

I'm on board with the minimalist way of thinking. I picked up a used Cabela's Alaskan pack on Craigslist and I'm using the hell out of it! The frame is really solid and it carries pretty comfortable in my opinion (probably my condition is the limiting factor, not the pack).

I removed the meat shelf and the top hoop to save some weight (not sure about the meat shelf long-term) and the frame and suspension weighs 3 lbs, 14 oz. I'm thinking about ditching the Cabela's bag and putting my gear in a dry bag lashed to the frame this season. I got an Alice pack liner and some others I'm playing around with. I'm thinking about making a compression panel or maybe looking at a Hill People Gear daypack that can double as compression panel.

The setup is dirt cheap and really versatile. The frame is a direct knock-off of an external Camp Trails frame so I imagine you could use one of those - I see them cheap on Craigslist all the time. Better to rig up what you can afford than stay home saving up for the big brands!
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: So what backpack? - 01/03/13
I use a NICE frame. If no one here told me it sucked, I wouldn't know. Carrys weight while I abuse it and has yet to stop. Bloody, dirty and all.
Yup, I have a Gen. 1 NICE that I have packed a weighed 90+ lbs. on and in comfort. I know that this is nothing for some mighty dudes, but, I am doing this in my 60s and this pack is among the most comfortable I have ever used.

I have a later NICE frame as well, the one with five belt segments and it does not feel quite as good as the above, but, compared to most other large packs I have toted, it is just fine.

Fit, fit, and fit and then, using an item of gear as it was intended by the designer. For example, I almost killed myself long ago, trying to climb very steep rock in "The Valhallas" of the West Kootenays, wearing a large frame pack....but, we used what we could get and were fit enough to make it work.
Posted By: snubbie Re: So what backpack? - 01/04/13
Originally Posted by kutenay
There are a number of sound reasons why such an outlet does not and is not likely to exist. The first is that all of the "name" packs are made by highly individualistic people who are competing with each other and are not about to make it "easy" for anyone to try competitor's packs before buying theirs.

Next, contrary to what most seem to think and even with the high markups in the "softgoods", i.e., some "kewl" tourist coming to BC wearing a highend G/T or eVent shell that was built for Everest[and 99% of the dudes do exactly that, makes us howl with laughter,] there is not actually a lot of money in the gear industry. This, is particularly true of the highend gear usually discussed here, MR, Kifaru, Valandre and so on.

Greenhorn, has nailed another important aspect of this and I can say that here in BC, one of big game trophy collecting's real "meccas", relatively FEW hunters actually backpack hunt and "dude hunters" from the US, and other foreign nations almost never do.

There are good reasons for this involving the size of many of our game species, the still very remote and wild country that can be and often is dangerous for any but genuinely skilled persons and the huge number of ATVs, 4x4s, river jet boats and other technical devices that most can now avail themselves of to bring home the "bacon".

I would like to stress here, again, that you DO NOT need to have all of the fancy and costly gear that is discussed here to successfully backpack hunt. The whole "art" has become so commercialized that the original purpose (s) have been smothered in WHO HAS the BEST, blah, blah, blah and also WHO KILLS THE MOST, yada, yada,yada.

Among the most successful hunters I know is my 52 year old cousin in Nelson, BC, a former N.H.L. hockey player and owner of a large construction firm that he has built from the beginning over the past 30+ years. He is VERY fit, large, strong, tough and loves to be out in the bush, all over BC.

I visited him last October and he jokingly said, " you know, Dewey, I see all these guys with all the fancy gear, buying new [bleep] all the time and they never shoot any game"....... This, is a bit of an exaggeration, but, not too far from the truth here in BC, from my observations since I started backpack camping and hunting in 1964 and working in bush for the BCFS the next spring.

Much of my hunting clothing is 20+ years old, some mended, faded and almost ALL of it is Cabela's grade stuff, it has worked for me just fine and the latest COOHOO or whatever matched camo sets, new pack model every year and all sorts of gadgets to supposedly do what real bush skills should do are just a commercial marketing ploy to take your money.

Get a Kelty Cache Hauler, some good USED gear and get out there, you will make mistakes, will sometimes be tired, dirty, smell bad and if solo, you WILL get lonely, but, it will all progress for you until you are a competent and happy backpack hunter.

Then, you get old, like me, and as your abilities decline with age, you will have memories that make life so very much more enjoyable.

^This^ is some of the most sound advice I have read on this forum. I believe it also reflects the voice of experience. Thanks Kute, your wisdom is always welcome by me.

As a relative newcomer to any "serious" backpack hunting, I have learned a couple of things I feel are important, at least to me.

#1. Indeed, not all of us NEED the "top of the line",(read that most expensive) latest, greatest, bestest most technologically advanced whiz-bang product out there. I suspect few truly NEED these, but concede some do. I believe the "best, most expensive" may not necessarily be the best for a particular person, and this has been affirmed by some posts above. However, this is just my opinion.

#2. Fit is everything!!! It is very important to find your correct fit, whether it be a low end or high end pack. If it doesn't fit you, it will be uncomfortable to carry no matter the cost/quality.

I found that I have a short torso length. I'm 6'2" & 215 lbs so I'm not a small guy. However, I tried several packs in what may be considered a medium - large size. I went through several packs before realizing that with a load over 40 lbs, a medium absolutely killed me. It was the size stupid! Long story short, a Dana Design Terraplane in size small is very comfortable and I have carried 60+ pounds in it for miles comfortably. This still isn't ideal as the strap padding is a hair too short but it works for me. I recently aquired an Eberlestock J-107 Dragonfly. It has adjustable suspension and to make it fit, I have to adjust it to it's smallest or shortest adjustment. It carries comfortably all day though I've yet to carry a heavy load in it.

Point is, just because you're a big guy doesn't necessarily mean you need a large size nor is the reverse true if you're of smaller stature. Get yourself measured and make sure your pack fits, regardless of the "quality" or cost of the pack.

And if you pay attention, the voices of experience say this over and over on this forum.
Posted By: NYStillHunter Re: So what backpack? - 01/05/13
There really is nothing today like the Osprey "Vector" line it is0sad to say.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: So what backpack? - 01/05/13
Yes , as I've said before if osprey still made the vector series, i bet it would be very popular with the BP hunting crowd.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: So what backpack? - 01/08/13
Got my USMC ILBE in today. For 80 bucks shipped, i think its great.

First thing that i noticed is that its HUGE. Molle attachments give me options to add on to it.

I think it will serve me well for the coming season.

Im glad I didnt blow 400 bucks on a trendy pack. Now I can put that cash towards a bow.
Posted By: BATTLEBORN Re: So what backpack? - 01/08/13
^^^^ how big is the ILBE? For $80 I cant afford not to try one.
Posted By: remington79 Re: So what backpack? - 01/08/13
Every where I have seen them listed it says they are 4,000 cubic inches.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: So what backpack? - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by JWP58

What does "a 3 day elk hunt in the mountains" mean to you? Are you camping by the rig/road and day-hiking in? If you are backpacking in to a camp, how far? And how far beyond camp are you going to hunt? How many people do you have available to help pack if you get an elk? How much experience do you have hauling elk quarters?

There's a lot of strategy to settle on before picking a specific pack IMHO. Once you figure out how to handle the specific challenges, then think about what equipment works best.

Personally, unless I had enough people in the group that each person could grab a quarter plus their percentage of camp and pack out in a single trip, I'd have 2 packs. First would be a backpacking pack with enough extra capacity that on the first load out, I could carry my camp plus some meat, then go back with a dedicate load hauler, something comfortable for packing elk quarters.

For day hikes from the rig, and ability to haul a quarter out, I like the Badlands 2200. I haven't used it for an elk quarter but I lugged a buck out in one load .. it'll work. My heavy hauler is a Cabela's alaska guide "freighter" frame. It's squeaky but I don't care, I only carry it after I'm tagged out. If I were backpacking in, I'd look at the Badlands 4500. I have a Sacrifice which I use for summer backpacking but it really doesn't haul enough crap for a comfortable cold weather camp, never mind hauling out camp plus meat.

Your question is a good one .. lot of little sub-questions hidden in it you can't really ignore.

Tom
Posted By: Wrongside Re: So what backpack? - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by Brad
Kute, I wouldn't take an MR for free. I regret feeling that way, but I despise the suspension. It's a big compromise designed to get away from making more than one size. The NICE is another compromise, built around military contracts and ALICE dimensions.

Marketing...

I'm a little surprised you don't like MR packs, Brad. Having used and liked the Bora packs for a LONG time, I recently got a good deal on a next to new MR Grizzly and have to say that I'm impressed so far. No super heavy, sustained loads thus far, but in the testing and fitting I've found it to be very comfortable. Possibly quite a bit more than the Boras with a equal load. Time will tell of course. I will train with it and some heavy loads over the winter months before making my final decision...
Posted By: JWP58 Re: So what backpack? - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by T_O_M

What does "a 3 day elk hunt in the mountains" mean to you? Are you camping by the rig/road and day-hiking in? If you are backpacking in to a camp, how far? And how far beyond camp are you going to hunt? How many people do you have available to help pack if you get an elk? How much experience do you have hauling elk quarters?

Tom

Well looks like its going to be two people. I havent had the chance to scout the unit im going to put in for, but I will get out there around May. So I cant really comment on the "how far from the truck, how far from camp" questions.

Those will have to wait til' I scout the area and decide where to hike in from and to camp.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: So what backpack? - 01/08/13
Got my USMC ILBE in today. For 80 bucks shipped, i think its great.

First thing that i noticed is that its HUGE. Molle attachments give me options to add on to it.

I think it will serve me well for the coming season.

Im glad I didnt blow 400 bucks on a trendy pack. Now I can put that cash towards a bow.

You did well. Way better than any Badlands or Sitka, for way less cash.

The ILBE is basically a beefed up Bora and the Boras are great packs. The ILBEs are a little heavy, but huge. Way more than 4000ci. I used one a bunch last year and wouldn't be sad to hunt the rest of my life using one of them.
Posted By: Kach Re: So what backpack? - 01/09/13
I just picked up an ILBE - I paid $90 shipped in supposed good condition with the assault pack included as well. I'm hoping it works out for me. I think it will be pretty cool for the money. At that price, I won't worry about it too much even if it only becomes a backup/lend-out bag.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: So what backpack? - 01/09/13
Ya i think im going to add the assault pack as well. For a day pack and attach it to the back of the ILBE.

With the molle attachments the possibilies are endless.

I know its not kuiu/sitka cool, but if it works....thats way cooler.

Plus i got an inside line on discounted First Lite merino wool gear, so that will add to the cool factor lol
Posted By: Kach Re: So what backpack? - 01/09/13
Pretty cool ideas if you check out all of the youtube videos. I'm probably going to pick up a sustainment pouch and try to mod it with some padding for a spotting scope. I'm also thinking I'll use the assault pack as a daypack if I like it. You really can get attachments for just about anything!
Posted By: evanhill Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13
I'm loving the "get er done" drift of this thread. High end gear is a luxury, not a necessity. Plenty of durable stuff out there for less. I saw a group of high school kids several miles in up near timberline in the Olympics one time outfitted with mostly mil surplus. They were in misery with their ALICE frames, but having the time of their lives. There's a lesson in that. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.
Posted By: JFKinYK Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13
Evan - what is the latest on the new HPG pack? Last I heard was release backed up to January, but I haven't dug through your forum in awhile.
Posted By: Big_W Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13
I have been looking for an excuse to post this:

Posted By: Kevin_T Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13
I will say I watched the video yesterday and the pack looks very well done. I'm curious about a few things that probably require looking at it. Perhaps I can see one at the HPG world headquarters someday smile
Posted By: Big_W Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13
Originally Posted by evanhill
I'm loving the "get er done" drift of this thread. High end gear is a luxury, not a necessity. Plenty of durable stuff out there for less. I saw a group of high school kids several miles in up near timberline in the Olympics one time outfitted with mostly mil surplus. They were in misery with their ALICE frames, but having the time of their lives. There's a lesson in that. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

I have been guilty of that and probably still am. You can say that lightweight gear that costs more money does make you more efficient though. I like this line too from Calvin: "As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be."

I bought an old McHale pack for $20 a couple months ago. This pack is so bombproof and comfortable. The stays in it are worth 20 bucks. It is purple though so its getting some spray paint. Dan McHale advises people not to even bother buying his old "2 bolt" style exp. packs. I would not hesitate to pick one up and try it out if the price is right. See, I am not so elitist grin .
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13
. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

Even us HPG fans?
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

Even us HPG fans?

Bless the folks paying my bills, but yes I'm sure some of our customers fall in that camp. Hopefully not too many of them though.
Posted By: snubbie Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13
Great video. Thanks for posting Big W.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13

I agree to an extent, but in many cases, buying the best you can afford is the cheapest way to go. Outdoor gear frequently falls into that category. As an example, there was no way I was going to pay the $300 price tag for snowmachine bibs. I probably paid close to $500 going through several sets of bibs from $50-100 each. They always failed, some spectacularly. Eventually I found the bibs I wanted on sale for $250ish, and convinced myself that I had done well. Talk about false economy...$750+ to get a pair of $300 bibs.

I have done that so many times, being the cheap bastard that I am, that my new simplified plan is: Figure out what is best (or what you want), and figure out a way to get it. Buying substitutes only makes it more expensive.

In many cases, being a gear snob is the result of suffering with poorly made gear in the past. Poorly made doesn't always mean cheap either.

All that being said, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it, and you have to find another way. As someone once said: Choices are always easiest when there is no choice.
That's good wisdom CWH. I did say "durable", but the thing about spending more $$$ to buy three of what you don't want than one of what you do is very true.
Posted By: kutenay Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13
What I got from Evan's post is that it is often the case that a certain "brand name" is THE ONLY way to fly for some often quite inexperienced folks, who are trying to BE what they really are not and probably will never become.

The "groupie" aspect of gear discussions can be a royal PITA and, especially, when some young novice decides to tell everyone what they MUST own and use. It amuses me, but, it can be annoying, as well.

The other point is, as he stated, people can have a terrific time in the outdoors with pretty crappy gear, this is MUCH easier when you are 15-25 than when you are 60+.....BUT, GEAR is NOT the major issue, getting out and enjoying it is.

It is a relief,to me,to read a gear maker actually post in this manner as all too many of them continually make excessive claims for their products and refuse to acknowledge that others may also create fine gear....and, individual needs and uses are very different, given the size and other factors of just North America.

I am also eager to see the up-coming HPG pack,I am inclined to expect one fine pack and one that many can use longterm with total satisfaction.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13
Originally Posted by kutenay
What I got from Evan's post is that it is often the case that a certain "brand name" is THE ONLY way to fly for some often quite inexperienced folks, who are trying to BE what they really are not and probably will never become.

The "groupie" aspect of gear discussions can be a royal PITA and, especially, when some young novice decides to tell everyone what they MUST own and use. It amuses me, but, it can be annoying, as well.

The other point is, as he stated, people can have a terrific time in the outdoors with pretty crappy gear, this is MUCH easier when you are 15-25 than when you are 60+.....BUT, GEAR is NOT the major issue, getting out and enjoying it is.

It is a relief,to me,to read a gear maker actually post in this manner as all too many of them continually make excessive claims for their products and refuse to acknowledge that others may also create fine gear....and, individual needs and uses are very different, given the size and other factors of just North America.

I am also eager to see the up-coming HPG pack,I am inclined to expect one fine pack and one that many can use longterm with total satisfaction.

+1

Getting out is the most important part. I have some nice gear, but I also frequently use a long in tooth Osprey Vestor, or Kelty Cachehauler. I also regularly use thrift store finds as well.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: So what backpack? - 01/10/13

All very true. The last thing I'd recommend is to stay home because your gear isn't as good/trendy/high-speed as you wish it was. There are a few exceptions to that for safety, but safety is generally more about the person than the gear.

Outdoor gear is increasingly specialized and what works for me where I hunt will likely be a poor choice, or simply unnecessary for others. People are built differently too, and I have a hard time taking sweeping statements about pack and boot fit seriously.

There is certainly a vetting process that has to happen, and that process gets expensive, especially when you can't learn from other people's experience. That is where forums like this are extremely helpful.

I hate the "new best thing" syndrome, but at the same time we are lucky to have access to tons of new (and old) great gear. I'm as guilty of being a gear junkie as anyone, and it is fun to try out new stuff. It is when it becomes all about the gear instead of about the hunt that it becomes....well, funny.
Posted By: Shag Re: So what backpack? - 01/11/13
I think I like that Ute Pack.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: So what backpack? - 01/11/13
Originally Posted by cwh2

I hate the "new best thing" syndrome, but at the same time we are lucky to have access to tons of new (and old) great gear. I'm as guilty of being a gear junkie as anyone, and it is fun to try out new stuff. It is when it becomes all about the gear instead of about the hunt that it becomes....well, funny.

I'm as guilty as the next guy. If it came down to saving up money and working extra to buy better pack/optics/rifle or whatever or making due with what ya go and go hunting, I'd pick the latter every time.

We all have different needs and preferences. Finding what you prefer is the main thing regardless of what works for others. Time afield is the #1 reason for success, not any piece of gear can trump that. Can't kill em' from the couch or office...well usually.

That said I really like the stuff Evan is putting out from HPG...got some great concept designs for fit on a variety of packs...looking forward to seeing what else he's got in the works.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: So what backpack? - 01/12/13

Me too!

Many of us, myself included, reached the point of diminishing returns long ago. I like good gear and guns as much or more than most, but in the end, it's about time in the hills. Growing up, we had lots of great times and made memories with old surplus gear and wool handmedowns.
Posted By: 16bore Re: So what backpack? - 01/12/13
Like my Dana Alpine, not shabby for $125 either....

[Linked Image]

I was able to finagle the beavertail to hold my rifle as well. Around 4800CI and weighs 6.5lbs. Tough as nails. I will say this, buy as much used gear as you can. Most of the time if you decide to dump it, you'll break even. I will admit I'm completely sucked in to the ultra light stuff.
Posted By: castandblast Re: So what backpack? - 01/12/13
Great idea on the beavertail. I'm wondering now if I can do that on my Glacier with the added beavertail.
Posted By: JFKinYK Re: So what backpack? - 01/12/13
Here is what the little lady whipped up on the sewing machine so I can carry my gun on about any pack. It was basically free after scrounging an old ratchet strap and some clips.

[Linked Image]
My original thought was to add a pouch to the ice ax loops, then I messed around with the tail. Didn't have to add any extra straps or swap around any buckles either.
I'm off to the man cave to dink with my beavertail....
Dang, someone might get lucky....
Dana Alpine on Ebay...

Looks like it will work on my Glacier as well as on my Shortbed external.

Should also make for a nice way to carry a bone-in quarter by tucking the bone in the beavertail.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: So what backpack? - 01/12/13
I like Kifaru suspension, like what I have on my UL5200. BUT, I like my MR 6500 bag the best.

If I could get the two to hump in the gear closet, and produce something red-headed and bastardly, I'd be happy as a cheap hooker at the democrat national convention.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: So what backpack? - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I like Kifaru suspension, like what I have on my UL5200. BUT, I like my MR 6500 bag the best.

If I could get the two to hump in the gear closet, and produce something red-headed and bastardly, I'd be happy as a cheap hooker at the democrat national convention.

Dan, you are the master of memorable quotes..should just update my sig line to one of your weekly quotes such as above. laugh
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: So what backpack? - 01/12/13
Nice lookin' loading bench 16.
Posted By: llama2 Re: So what backpack? - 01/12/13

Yup- that is a classic!

Dan, maybe if you leave them alone in there for a while, maybe they will produce that dream offspring for you. grin
Posted By: fuzzyone Re: So what backpack? - 01/13/13
I recently read on a local forum that MR is going to be coming out with a larger crewcab style pack. For me and my uses this would be fantastic but only if it came with functional load lifters. I like my current crew cab with just my gear in it and for normal backpacking but as soon as i start going north of 70lbs i start gettting squirmy and wanting to look for something else.

fuzzyone
Posted By: 16bore Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
Nice lookin' loading bench 16.

Coulda/shoulda/woulda done some things different, but I like it. Buried T-bolts in the top to mount the thrower, trimmer, bench primer, and shotgun press on. Does pretty good...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by llama2

Yup- that is a classic!

Dan, maybe if you leave them alone in there for a while, maybe they will produce that dream offspring for you. grin

Sweet God, God Bless Dan.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
I blame EdT for teaching me the difference. MR is just another backpack company that makes a great product until you put more than 60 Lbs in it. Hey, it's the 80%er business model that America seems to embody frown

Kifaru makes a much better pack, but the accesory masturbation is endless and expensive, and truthfully you're a few hundred bucks away from a McHale.

McHale makes a great pack, but Dan is a typical hippy, and turnaround time is PAINFULLY slow.

Did I miss anything???

Oh wait... Yeah, there's a red-head of my recent acquaintence who has taught me to "love" things bastardly laugh
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
MR is just another backpack company that makes a great product until you put more than 60 Lbs in it.

As funny as reading about bullet failures.
Posted By: kutenay Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
There are LOTS of pack companies and many famed designers, then there are Dana Gleason and Dan McHale, the pinnacle of pack makers.

Kifaru makes a much better pack? Well, I did not find that in the two I bought and I just got another Dana Shortbed yesterday, used, fine shape and have owned/used about 15 Dana packs....one is now 35 years old, former "haul up" pack on 100+ ft. steel fire towers, packed deer, elk, trout, bush work gear and is STILL rock solid. Better? Nobody!
Posted By: DanAdair Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
MR is just another backpack company that makes a great product until you put more than 60 Lbs in it.

As funny as reading about bullet failures.

Oh, I didn't say that a MR pack COULDN'T do it... But if you put 100 pounds in a NICE frame AND a Kifaru UL5200, or Timberline, it sucks a WHOLE LOT LESS.

Seriously... I'll let you borrow it sometime. I'll be shocked if you don't agree.
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
I've had 100+ in all three. I'd say 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
I've had 100 + in the Crew cab. It was OK at best. I prefer having 100 lbs + in a true external. There is not much of a comparison to me. IMO for big loads, an external that functions like an external is as good as it gets.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
I've never used a Mystery Ranch pack. Isn't the NICE frame a replacement for, and the same length as (TOO effin' short!)
, an ALICE frame? Comparing that to a Kifaru with 24 or 26 stays isn't a fair comparison.

I will say that I've used quite a few different commercial packs and none carry for me like a Kifaru.
Posted By: Big_W Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
Here we go again...

I love pack debates now. I just sit back and watch with a smile on my face. Now that I have a McHale I just feel theres nothing left for me to debate. I know that sounds snobby but I do not feel the need to convince anyone about anything anymore.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: So what backpack? - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
I've had 100 + in the Crew cab. It was OK at best. I prefer having 100 lbs + in a true external. There is not much of a comparison to me. IMO for big loads, an external that functions like an external is as good as it gets.

The CrewCab isn't representative of all the NICE bags. Try the 6500 or the 3600 Metcalf (new). Based on the requirements the guy gave I'd pick the Metcalf.
Posted By: kutenay Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13
I was just carrying my NICE Gen.I, purchased in 2005 or 2006, can't recall, probably the latter as I got my BCSB and Deluxe MRs in 2005 and my two Kifarus the same year and I had 75 lbs, in it in perfect comfort. I have packed 90-100 lbs, in it, with the 6500 bag, this was with my Wolf Alpha, as I also have the NICE OK with my 6500 on it.

Now, these are not huge weights, but, I am 66+ years old and I can push the NICE to 100+, but, my orthopaedic guy goes freakin' zoned as my right leg is close to done. So, that, to me, says a LOT about these packs and I have an actual reverence for Dana's packs and the simply superb customer service his folks provide.

I may get a full-on McHale as I have some treks in mind now that my lady is mobile again and I can leave home without worrying that she will be immobile. To me, McHale is THE "sine qua non"of packs, but, many cannot afford the cost and there are LOTS of workable alternatives for far less $$$$$.

I would, again, stress the availability of the Dana externals and now Hill People is making some goodies to spruce these up. I would have KILLED for one of these in my younger days, for packing huge loads to my isolated BCFS Lookouts.

For a beginner, it can really pay off in advancing your learning curve to buy some used packs, try them and see what works best for YOU, as we are all different in our fitting and also our actual uses. JMHO.
Originally Posted by Big_W
Here we go again...

I love pack debates now. I just sit back and watch with a smile on my face. Now that I have a McHale I just feel theres nothing left for me to debate. I know that sounds snobby but I do not feel the need to convince anyone about anything anymore.

Well, SOME people!!!! wink smile smile
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13

The CrewCab isn't representative of all the NICE bags. Try the 6500 or the 3600 Metcalf (new). Based on the requirements the guy gave I'd pick the Metcalf.

I agree , a different bag with some lift may give different results, but the CC is what I had.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13

I agree , a different bag with some lift may give different results, but the CC is what I had.

I wasn't going to go there... But since you did first laugh

I never got MR's logic on the 6500 (and yes I have one) lets make the stays longer... Great idea... But lets make them as flexible as a hookers morality???

Oh, and compounded with the takeoff points on the NICE frame for the load lifters being too far back on the shoulder, it still wouldn't matter.

Seriously... If MR used a more rigid stay (like what's in the KU5200) and moved the takeoff point on the lift straps. It's be hands DOWN my favorite backpack. I still use it, but not as much as my Kifaru.

McHale is out of t he question until after I get my next recurve paid off (Dave doesn't give away those exotic Silvertips)

Speaking of which... That's why I'll always have a CrewCab. It's the best backpack ever for hanging treestands.
Posted By: RockChucker30 Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13
I've had 9 kifaru packs over the years as well as Eberlestock, Badlands, Canadian made ArcTeryx Bora, a MR longbow and now a dragon slayer, and two Dana Externals plus a Dana arcflex Stillwater.

Having said that, if I were going on a backpack elk hunt tomorrow I would take the Kelty Cache Hauler I just got for $95 shipped.

This is based on actual testing with 100 lb loads. I got a lot of belt deformation and slip with kifaru packs with more than 70 lbs, and the same with the three piece Dana belts. The Kelty belt stays where I put it and is much more comfortable with big loads.

My next step with it is to cut off everything unnecessary and see how much lighter and more nimble I can make it. I bet I can get it in the 4-5 lb range with a dry bag hauling type setup.

Maybe I'm moving forward by moving backward? Trading $600 packs for a $100 pack that works better? Some lessons are more expensive than others I guess.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13
You are not moving backwards if it works for you and there are no flies on Cache Hauler. My favorite pack is the Horn Hunter Full Curl and like you (I bought your G2 LH) I spent alot of money and too many sore shoulders.

It is funny how defensive both MR and Kifaru users get when you don't like either. Packs are like shoes, hard to recomend to someone what will work best for them, so I try to only speak to quality and design.
Posted By: sreekers Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13
It's easy to get defensive when you spend a lot of money on what you consider to be a quality piece of equipment. Most of us have been guilty of being fans, and we show off what we consider our best equipment.

Posted By: DanAdair Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by hunting1

It is funny how defensive both MR and Kifaru users get when you don't like either. Packs are like shoes, hard to recomend to someone what will work best for them, so I try to only speak to quality and design.

There's a lot of truth in that...

Kifaru and MR packs for me were light years better for me (and the game we play) than anything Eberlestock, Badlands, Osprey, or Arctryx that I'd used before. But yeah... In the end, it's what works for you, and brand loyalties get you nowhere.
Posted By: Yakataga Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by RockChucker30
if I were going on a backpack elk hunt tomorrow I would take the Kelty Cache Hauler I just got for $95 shipped.

This is based on actual testing with 100 lb loads. I got a lot of belt deformation and slip with kifaru packs with more than 70 lbs, and the same with the three piece Dana belts. The Kelty belt stays where I put it and is much more comfortable with big loads.

Maybe I'm moving forward by moving backward? Trading $600 packs for a $100 pack that works better? Some lessons are more expensive than others I guess.

I just bought a Cache Hauler shoulder strap and belt system from Kelty to upgrade a 30 year old Camptrails frame. This old Camptrails frame is the same (or nearly the same) as the original Barney's frames. The Cache Hauler system "bolts" right to the old CT frame. Very light and very comfortable. The old CT bag was horrible and was discarded years ago, so its just a pack frame that I use cinch straps to hold down quarters and what not. I will be making a compression system to hold off-the-bone bagged meat better. Its going to be a nice rig next fall.

I still don't know what to do for a real backpack for sheep. My old internals are OK, but I have never really loaded them with more than 50 pounds before.
Posted By: sreekers Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13
What? You don't get a sticker if you aren't the most ardent fan of your preferred pack maker?
Posted By: EricM Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13
Is the Cache Hauler really 9 lbs 2 oz..?!

http://www.kelty.com/p-56-cache-hauler-3400.aspx
Originally Posted by sreekers
What? You don't get a sticker if you aren't the most ardent fan of your preferred pack maker?

Note that a lot of the older more experienced guys here have been saying to buy good cheap stuff that works rather than the expensive fancy stuff, and then get out in the woods and use it.

I have been a sticker carrying fanboy in the past, but I'm moving toward the wisdom the elders here are preaching. Maybe in another 30 years I'll have it figured out.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: So what backpack? - 01/17/13
Prediction; The next big thing for backpack hunters will be the Hill People Gear frame pack.
Originally Posted by EricM
Is the Cache Hauler really 9 lbs 2 oz..?!

http://www.kelty.com/p-56-cache-hauler-3400.aspx

That link is to the model with a packbag. The Cache Hauler link is here:

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmai...uct=Kelty+Cache+Hauler+Pack+-+Frame+only

Weight is listed at 6 lbs 1 oz, but that's with the heavy load shelf. I think I can remove the load shelf and the top bar and put on a dry bag hauling setup and have a 4-5 lb pack that flat works for $200.

I may even cut some off the top and re-install the topbar and then move the load lifters. Lots of modding can be done, and at $95 I don't have to worry about ruining resale value.
Originally Posted by sreekers

Note that a lot of the older more experienced guys here have been saying to buy good cheap stuff that works rather than the expensive fancy stuff, and then get out in the woods and use it.

I have been a sticker carrying fanboy in the past, but I'm moving toward the wisdom the elders here are preaching. Maybe in another 30 years I'll have it figured out.

Gear now changes so rapidly that it is pretty much impossible to keep totally current on every item that one might want to buy/use. The benefits accrued from buying used "name" gear are very substantial and not only save $$$$, but, give you an opportunity to try stuff and thus find what YOU feel works best for YOU.

I know from long experience what works for ME and, also, I am now at the time of life where all backpacking is strenuous and not always "fun", as busting my azz against the BC mountains USED to be. So, I buy the "best" as I can afford it and know what that is, in my terms.

No offence intended to ANYONE here, but, I think that buying new gear if a beginner is borderline foolish and "patrolling" the various backpacker forums, e-bay and the hunting forums "For Sale" sections will bring you all the good gear you need...for many years to come.

I bought my most recent DD Shortbed off of Evan Hill's fine forum, another a couple of years ago, off of Patrick Smith's often informative forum, the first off of, IIRC, "Trailspace" and so on. I am always willing to pay top $$$ for minty examples and, honestly, those three packs, which will do ALL the backpacking I really will do in coming years, cost in total, about what my NICE OK 6500 fully rigged did......."a word to the wise"...... smile
Posted By: EricM Re: So what backpack? - 01/18/13
RockChucker, thanks for the link. I like your plan to reduce weight. What would you replace the load shelf with?

Eric
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: So what backpack? - 01/18/13
My take as a young back pack hunter: read all you can, buy what you can and make it work for you. I don't have time to try 3 or 4 pack makers to find the right combo. Give a good pack that will haul my stuff, my meat if I'm successful and won't break.

I don't have to try 4 or 5 different calibers. They all 'work'. Pick one and own it. Make it yours.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: So what backpack? - 01/18/13
I think it's reasonable with a little work to get the Kelty in the 4 to 5 pound range. I think when I removed the bottom shelf, top bracket and the wings, it was in the 3 plus range. Yes you need to work out a load shelf replacement, but that's doable.

I have never had luck with 3 piece belts and large loads. The crew cab was ok but the foam was harder than my hips liked, I did like the layout of the CC though.

Posted By: RockChucker30 Re: So what backpack? - 01/18/13
Eric M,

I'll probably get some 1 inch webbing from DIY Gear Supply along with some fastex/ITW type side release buckles.

I'll probably go with 3 horizontal compression straps, two over the top, and a cordura or possibly webbing load shelf.

I have a HPG Tarahumara and compression kit, but I think with a little bit of bartack sewing I can come up with something lighter and easier to use.

My thought is to get a cuben fiber rolltop dry bag made for my gear and then use either the Tara or a small ULA pack as a daypack.

I think Kevin is close on the weights. I hope to be under 5 lbs with enough space for a 7-10 day hunt.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: So what backpack? - 01/18/13
Eric M,

I'll probably get some 1 inch webbing from DIY Gear Supply along with some fastex/ITW type side release buckles.

I'll probably go with 3 horizontal compression straps, two over the top, and a cordura or possibly webbing load shelf.

I have a HPG Tarahumara and compression kit, but I think with a little bit of bartack sewing I can come up with something lighter and easier to use.

My thought is to get a cuben fiber rolltop dry bag made for my gear and then use either the Tara or a small ULA pack as a daypack.

I think Kevin is close on the weights. I hope to be under 5 lbs with enough space for a 7-10 day hunt.

Just buy the Hill People Gear compression kit. By the time you order from multiple places and pay shipping you'll be out more money plus you'll have to sew your own panel.
Posted By: EricM Re: So what backpack? - 01/18/13
Good ideas here..! I'll have to check out the HPG site.

Eric
Posted By: 6.5-06 Re: So what backpack? - 01/19/13
What is the difference between the DD Shortbed, Longbed, and Terraframe?

A lot of good info here... Thanks
Posted By: DanAdair Re: So what backpack? - 01/20/13
Prediction; The next big thing for backpack hunters will be the Hill People Gear frame pack.

I'll bitch-slap a prototype, totally free of charge.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: So what backpack? - 01/20/13

I'll bitch-slap a prototype, totally free of charge.

I'll bet you would smile
Posted By: tkinak Re: So what backpack? - 01/21/13
http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ComingSoon/UtePack/tabid/926/Default.aspx

HPG forum says 5 lbs and 3500 ci. I would think it would be on the high side of 5lb looking at the construction.

Eberlestock Team Elk pack looks like a larger X2.

http://www.eberlestock.com/M5%20Team%20Elk%20Pack.html
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: So what backpack? - 01/21/13
The Ute is probably not what I'd buy for meat hauling. Something with a drybag is what I'd prefer.
Posted By: evanhill Re: So what backpack? - 01/21/13
HPG forum says 5 lbs and 3500 ci. I would think it would be on the high side of 5lb looking at the construction.

that was balanced atop a postal scale. got the same result 5 times in a row.

ETA: Hands down, my best heavy load carrier right now is a Dana external with an HPG Prairie Belt and a little bit of magic performed in the lumbar area. You've got to get above at least 50 pounds to start observing how good it is in comparison to other options, and it doesn't really pull ahead of a properly set up internal until you top 70 or so pounds. If I can match the load carrying capacity of the Dana external with my design, I'll be satisfied. If I can exceed it, I'll be very happy. Either way, my design is more versatile and readily configurable than the Dana offering.

Posted By: Big_W Re: So what backpack? - 01/21/13
The Ute is probably not what I'd buy for meat hauling. Something with a drybag is what I'd prefer.

I think it is and it will work out great. A good comparison for the UTE would be the MR Big Horn. Many on here have hauled out whole deer and heavy loads in a MR Big Horn. The UTE is 3500 ci and 5 pounds, the MR is 3000 ci and almost 6 pounds. Both cost about the same and are made in the USA. The UTE has a stiffer frame, should have a much better waist belt and more comfortable shoulder harness(last two are opinions).

I also question Evan's load rating of 60 pounds or is that just a comfort recommendation? From what I have seen as far as materials and design it should be good for much more than that. I will be using it from day hunts up to 3 days hunts or more, I will let everyone know how it works out. A Highlander full of your gear, plus a stuff sack and other gear on the outside as the main compartment should handle a full boned out deer.
Posted By: kutenay Re: So what backpack? - 01/21/13
Sounds great to me, as I often post, I love DD and MR packs and have many of them as well as having had others. Now, that there are SO many really well-made and designed packs for hunters on the market, it would be a bit "over the top" to state that MR or any other is " ta ra, THE BEST", but, for me, these work better than an old geezer like me can.

So, Evan, I will very likely be in the market, later this year, for your belt(s) for my three DD externals and I am curious as to just what the ...little bit of magic... to the lumbar area of the packs retro-fitted with your belt actually is? Can this be performed at home by the person purchasing said belt(s)?

What, about replacement/retro-fitted shoulder straps/harnesses?
Posted By: 16bore Re: So what backpack? - 01/31/13
Here's a link to what seems to be a hell of a price on a Dana external framed pack for $130. I may have just screwed myself out of a deal..... Dana Pack

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: krummarine Re: So what backpack? - 02/07/13
tag
Posted By: romaknows Re: So what backpack? - 02/09/13
Originally Posted by 16bore
Here's a link to what seems to be a hell of a price on a Dana external framed pack for $130. I may have just screwed myself out of a deal..... Dana Pack

[Linked Image]
Just bought this pack with the intention of taking the bag off and using it as a hauler only, but the bottom of the pack is part of the frame, is ther a way to turn this into a frame only and not cut up the pack?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ken999 Re: So what backpack? - 02/10/13
I got to paw over the new Kifaru Bikini/Highlander combo this past weekend and there was ALOT to like.
Posted By: frogmanjim67 Re: So what backpack? - 02/12/13
A good mountain horse to ride, and a super good packhorse (Shire) that won't kill you when you toss a dead bull on his back. Be sure to include some oats, etc for the horses.! Kinda like giving "tips" to the doorman. Apples really work good to chum the horse into doing what he won't..!
Posted By: Snipershirt Re: So what backpack? - 02/17/13

Marketing...

At least ignorance is apparant here. MR, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, and a few others I'm failing to remember here are all great packs, dependant on your style, useage, etc. I've used all the ones named above and they're all top of the line, grade A packs. If they weren't, they wouldn't be around and they wouldn't be offered in the price range they are. I wish it was as easy as picking the right one the first time and saving you tons of miles, money and time but its not. For me, the MR fit me the best. I'm a military sniper so maybe I'm somewhat biased having used their stuff operationally, but what better opportunity to fail-safe gear. Anyhow, I now reside in Alaska and still use the MR stuff religiously from the Islands, to the Brooks Range. You have any issues, they'll fix it, that simple. Good luck!
Posted By: Snipershirt Re: So what backpack? - 02/17/13
Originally Posted by Snipershirt

Marketing...

At least ignorance is apparant here. MR, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, and a few others I'm failing to remember here are all great packs, dependant on your style, useage, etc. I've used all the ones named above and they're all top of the line, grade A packs. If they weren't, they wouldn't be around and they wouldn't be offered in the price range they are. I wish it was as easy as picking the right one the first time and saving you tons of miles, money and time but its not. For me, the MR fit me the best. I'm a military sniper so maybe I'm somewhat biased having used their stuff operationally, but what better opportunity to fail-safe gear. Anyhow, I now reside in Alaska and still use the MR stuff religiously from the Islands, to the Brooks Range. You have any issues, they'll fix it, that simple. Good luck!

Meant to include my choice, MR crew cab or metcalf.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: So what backpack? - 02/20/13
I've been pack poor at times, but have thinned the herd, and will likely thin a lot more after ordering a HPG Ute pack. I have no doubts that the Ute will fit/ride like a great pack should, and have the capacity and load-hauling for 90% of what I need.
© 24hourcampfire