Home
I haven't been around much lately. frown I had a few financial reversals (lost a job I had held for 21 years). The only work I could find for a while was in the next county over, which was a bit of a drive and didn't leave much time for reviewing backpack type stoves.

I'm still doing a lot of commuting, but thankfully now working in the same county in which I live. I probably won't have the time I once did, but I thought I'd present a review that might be of interest here, a review of a remote canister stove that can handle running with the canister upside down.

Why might anyone care about which way the canister points? Well, running with the canister upside down gives one about a 20 degree cold weather advantage over conventional upright canister stoves (when using an isobutane/propane mix).

So, if you like canister gas stoves but want something that can handle a little bit colder weather, the Kovea Spider is worth checking out.

Inverted canister stoves are a lightweight alternative to liquid fueled (gasoline or kerosene) stoves in cold weather. Not only are they lighter, but they're more mechanically reliable. In my latest blog post, I review a good one, the Kovea Spider.

I've found it to be a really nice, compact stove.
[Linked Image]
The Monatauk Gnat (left) and the Kovea Spider (right)

For the future, I'd like to see Kovea do more to lighten the 5.9oz/168g Spider stove. I'd like to see a good remote canister stove down in the four ounce range, but this is such a nice little stove that it's hard to complain.
[Linked Image]
The diminutive Kovea Spider

There is a lighter, by about 3/4 ounce, stove on the market, the FMS-118 Volcano, but there have been some complaints about the Volcano when in inverted canister mode, and I don't think the Volcano packs down anywhere near as small. I can get the Kovea Spider and a 110g canister of gas into either my 780ml Snow Peak pot or my MSR Titan kettle.
[Linked Image]
A Kovea Spider inside an MSR Titan Kettle

If this sounds interesting, here's the full review: [u]The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove[/u]. Have a look if you like.

HJ
Jim,

Thanks for the info, nice review and good luck with the new job!

MtnHtr

Sorry about the job frown

That's a great stove! smile
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Jim,

Thanks for the info, nice review and good luck with the new job!

MtnHtr
You're welcome for the review, and thanks for the good wishes on the job.

Where was that photo taken? Looks like the Sierra Nevada of California, yes?

HJ
Originally Posted by alukban
That's a great stove! smile
Actually, I think that it is.
it can handle colder weather than a conventional upright gas stove.
You can use a windscreen without worrying about overheating the canister.
It's got a lower center of gravity which makes it more stable and gets it down out of the wind a bit.

And... you don't have to pay for it with a lot of bulk or weight.

When I go out with my family, I find myself grabbing this gas stove.

HJ
Great review..another toy for the gear list!
Who is the U.S. distributor for Kovea stoves?

Also, who retails them here in the U.S.?

I'd be interested in getting one.
Originally Posted by Vigilguy
Who is the U.S. distributor for Kovea stoves?

Also, who retails them here in the U.S.?

I'd be interested in getting one.
Kovea isn't currently selling stoves directly in the US, although if you've seen a PocketRocket or MicroRocket, you've seen a Kovea product.

The only place I know of that you can get the Kovea Spider in the US is on eBay.

HJ
Might be a good stove but if you buy it on ebay it ships from Korea with a 30-60 day delivery time with no insurance. Because of my previous experience with Korean merchents, I am going to wait until a US distributor has them in hand before ordering.
Good point, and no harm in being cautious. I myself have had good luck with seller "Chovin" for whatever that may be worth. I also see a seller based in Hong Kong on eBay. I can't say anything one way or the other regarding that seller.

Supposedly, Kovea is going to start selling their products in the US. I understand that Kovea had a delegation at the recent Outdoor Retailer trade show. When exactly that might occur is unknown.

In the mean time, if someone were looking for a good remote canister stove, the MSR Windpro II is widely available and is only 3/4oz heavier. It's not as packable, but it's definitely a good stove.

HJ
Don't overlook the Optimus Vega.
Awesome pics and great informative review.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
Don't overlook the Optimus Vega.
I haven't tried the Vega, but it looks like a decent stove.

Having said that, I like the Spider better than the Vega because it is so compact. I went to a sporting goods store last week and took a look at a Vega. It would fit into my MSR Titan kettle, which is good, but there was no way I could get a can of gas inside too. With the Spider, I can do both. Oh, and did I mention that the Spider is 1/2 the cost of the Vega? smile

Seriously though, I really like the Spider (in case it doesn't show). I just like the idea that I can have the full functionality of a remote canister stove (including using a full 360 degree windscreen) in what is basically an itty bitty little package. To me that's cool. Guess I don't like schleping around bulky stuff.

HJ
For what its worth, I just recently received a kovea flame tornado from eBay seller chovin. I am really happy with this little stove. I wouldn't hesitate to order a kovea spider from chovin.
As an adjunct to my earlier post, I just put up a blog post on [u]cooking with the new Kovea Spider[/u]. Have a look if you like.

[Linked Image]

HJ
Originally Posted by broberts
For what its worth, I just recently received a kovea flame tornado from eBay seller chovin. I am really happy with this little stove. I wouldn't hesitate to order a kovea spider from chovin.

OK chovin.
Jim glad to see you again! I have asked about what happened to ya a time or 2. Good luck with it all!
Jim about that windscreen you use, did you make that? What is it made of and how is the best way to pack it without damaging it?
That is truly some loverly grub laugh
Thanks for the review Jim. I think I'd still go with the new MSR Windpro though. The bulk issue isn't a problem for me. If I'm carrying an MSR Titan Kettle then I'll be running a Caldera Cone anyway.
It's good to be back -- as much as I can be. It'll be a little busy until at least the end of April.

Originally Posted by lawnman
Jim about that windscreen you use, did you make that? What is it made of and how is the best way to pack it without damaging it?
That windscreen that you saw in the photos is a standard MSR windscreen. A primus or Optimus windscreen would be fine too I'm sure. If you want to make one yourself, you can buy #36 aluminum tooling foil on eBay. It's pretty easy to use. You can also use roof flashing, but that's a little heavier.

The best way to store a windscreen by far is to roll it around your fuel bottle if you're using a 24oz or larger bottle. I then put the whole ensemble inside a bread bag or other similar long plastic bag to protect my pack's contents from snagging on the windscreen. Obviously wrapping around the fuel bottle is not helpful if you're using canister gas, but you may have a water bottle, fly rod case, etc. that you could wrap it around. Absent somethign to roll it around, I just fold it up and put it into a big ziploc bag which then goes in an outside or top pocket of my pack. Not ideal, but not bad either.

HJ
Hikin Jim, do you know of any lightweight 2 burner liquid fed stoves? My friend has a Coleman Xpedition that works really well but they don't make it anymore(and the quality isn't all that great).

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DP4
Hikin Jim, do you know of any lightweight 2 burner liquid fed stoves? My friend has a Coleman Xpedition that works really well but they don't make it anymore(and the quality isn't all that great).

[Linked Image]
Ah, yes, the Xpedition. I've got one of those strange beasts around somewhere. Don't throw yours away! I'll buy it for parts if you're just going to pitch it. I have plenty of fuel for it, purchased when they were phasing it out.

But a replacement? Hmm. Coleman made another stove (the Gemini?), but that's discontinued too. Coleman has largely gotten out of the "backpack" type stove business. Their stoves are all mostly for family camping now.

Obviously you can get a Coleman "suitcase" type two burner, but I think you're looking for something a lot lighter and more compact. You've got me curious. I'll bet someone makes one (Primus?), but I'll have to look into it.

HJ
Hey, well what do you know? My memory isn't so bad. Primus does make a two burner: The Njord.
[Linked Image]

I see the Njord is listed on Primus' US website:
http://store.primuscamping.com/family-stoves/butane/njord-2-burner-stove/
Retail is $67 which isn't bad. Weighs 4 lbs though (without the fuel I'm sure). Ouch.

Might be lighter to just bring two stoves. I also wonder how you'd protect it from wind.

HJ

Thanks for checking! Yes, two stoves seems like the only decent solution.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Thanks for the review Jim. I think I'd still go with the new MSR Windpro though. The bulk issue isn't a problem for me. If I'm carrying an MSR Titan Kettle then I'll be running a Caldera Cone anyway.
The WindPro is a very nice stove, particlarly if you're wanting to support a bit larger pot.

HJ
Thanks for your efforts Jim.
I had to order one after seeing your 5 egg omelet..
Originally Posted by budman5
Thanks for your efforts Jim.
I had to order one after seeing your 5 egg omelet..
Uh, oh. I don't think it comes with an omelette. wink

HJ
Originally Posted by lawnman
Here's what I mean about rolling the windscreen around the fuel bottle (in case I wasn't clear in my written description).
[Linked Image]

HJ
Originally Posted by DP4

Thanks for checking! Yes, two stoves seems like the only decent solution.
Two Windpros, for example, would weigh about 14oz (not counting fuel and a windscreen). The Njord is 4 pounds.

The Njord looks nice maybe if you were horse packing in. It looks like it would be a pretty stable platform, and if it were in a sheltered spot, it would work well.

If it's on my back, I'll take two stoves. With a group, you can distribute the load easily since the burners are already separate.

I kind of liked the Xpedition. Too bad they discontinued it. Like I say, don't pitch it in the trash.

HJ
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by broberts

OK chovin.

One and done... laugh
You guys are funny. I live in Gig Harbor, WA. I visit this site nearly every day. Backpack hunting is a relatively new passion of mine. I check threads to see if there is anything I can learn from others experience. For the first time, I felt I had something to offer. I ordered the kovea stove from an eBay seller named chovin. I also received a nice little thank you note with the order. I was pleased with the service I received. Thought I would share since one of the posters had a bad experience with Korean eBay sellers.
I know of one rep group that is trying to bring their stuff over here. They make a lot of stuff from stoves, sleeping bags and flashlights. From what I hear they make some stuff for MSR of which that is not made in the USA.
Originally Posted by BlackWidowTackle
I know of one rep group that is trying to bring their stuff over here. They make a lot of stuff from stoves, sleeping bags and flashlights. From what I hear they make some stuff for MSR of which that is not made in the USA.

I just saw a notice online, that Kovea has their first agreement with an American retailer, The Gear House of Virginia. Note: I've never dealt with them; I just saw an announcement on the internet.

I notice that they have the Kovea Spider. They also have the "Alpine Pot" which appears to be Kovea's version of the Jetboil.

HJ
© 24hourcampfire