Home
Ok after posting a question on Elk Hunting form asking what folks use to haul meat out. Seems like a couple guys are using the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, but some use military surplus stuff. Which seems to be a little more reasonable in pricing ebay seems to have so real good deals on used ILBE Marine Packs.

Here's the deal: My Hunting Partner is my Wife. So I need to pack things for her to be comfortable and enjoy the hunt. But I need some thing that I can pack meat out with instead of going back to the truck to get a pack frame and head back out to the kill site to retrieve meat. Which is what I do now and it $ucks. So I need to find something that I can use as a pack for all day hunts plus be used as a meat hauler "if" we are successful.

I thought the Eberlestock Blue Widow would be a good all around pack. But the Crew Cab might be a better solution? Then like I said early they are both spendy where the ILBE surplus stuff is real reasonable. But of course it's not priced right if it's gonna hurt me!

So whom has experience with both systems that can give me a little guidance? Thanks!
I like my ILBE. I have no complaints. It fits well and can carry more than I can.
I like the LL bean hunters carry all pack. I put my camp in sylnylon bag and pack it to my site, dump it off and have a nice pack frame to hunt with. I took an old day pack and sewed loops on it and lash it to the pack for hunting. Nice combo pack for the price. It is about 4 lbs empty which is a little heavy.
Kifaru Bikini frame and bag. Might look on Rokslide.com for some info and reviews.
Might check out the new mystery ranch metcalf
Dawg,

How do you have your ILBE set up? Could you post a pic or two? Thanks!

Wild Bill
I sent you a pm.
Thanks Dave! I went to Rockslide and kicked around over there a little. The Bikini frame is cool but $376 for just a frame, WOW! That's one reason I'm looking at Military Surplus stuff.
Nothing at all wrong with the ILBE. It's a little heavy as a day pack, but not to bad. If I were in your shoes I'd buy the cheapest ILBE I could find and run it for a year. If you don't like it you could then upgrade down the line.
Do you have one? How do they do the sizing? & do they have load lifters?

Thanks!
There is a guy here in Helena selling ILBE packs with the 3 day assault packs for only 125 bucks. Wish I had gotten mine for that price a few years ago. He is selling them on craigslist. I use my ILBE main and assault packs all the time and I love them. They are a bit heavier than the new lightweight options but they are bombproof.
Nothing wrong with the ILBE packs, especially for the price RatFink mentioned. They are an Arcteryx design, based heavily on the well respected BORA series.

I've used the BORAs for years and never been disappointed. Last year I bought a ILBE and used it while sheep and elk hunting. It is a good pack for the money. Heavier than some, but can be lightened with careful use of a razor blade... smile

Personally, if spending the money for a MR pack, I wouldn't pick the NICE framed packs. They just seem to be a love them or hate them type of pack, especially as far as fit goes. Fit trumps all, IMO. I own a couple of MRs now, and really like the Grizzly. It fits me very well, feels a lot like a BORA, just a bit more comfortable and well built. Mystery Ranch makes awesome quality packs! As long as you can get proper fit with one, you'd never regret spending the money. Perhaps a NICE would fit you just fine...
Wrongside can you help me with the issue of fit? confused Everybody says fit is the most important. How do I determine what would fit me. I read the article @ rokslide Backpacks A-Z. And he mentioned how to measure you back from the 7th vert down to the top of the hip bone but then didn't give any suggestions for fit???

Thanks!
I've got one and bought 2 others for my brother. They are pretty generic in sizing, meant to fit the majority of marines. Between 30-probably 40 on belt and relatively normal size height you should be good. It does have load lifters.

I paid $35 for my first. Has no lid and looks like hell, but still completely functional. So much so I carried 2 deer out last season in quarters. Pack lives in the back of my truck. It doesn't carry quite as well as my Kifaru but it's real close and I'm not afraid to leave it in the truck!

I would get a Crew Cab.

It will carry anything you put in it and will last forever.

You can get one here on the classifieds for significantly less than a new one if you're patient.

MR sizing info will get your fit right.

[Linked Image]

There's a whole mule deer plus gear in this one....

SlowDog: Now that's what I'm talken about! Go in light come out heavy!

But there does seem to be a love hate thing going on with the crew cab???
Wild Bill,
I am no expert on fit. I think there are different sized belts and I have a medium, I think. I did have a Marine friend help me with set up but there are instructions on the net. I try to get the pack snugged up to me and to the point where I feel the weight on the small off my back and not my shoulders. I am posting a few pics of the pack in use from a couple of hunts and training trips.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As I said, I can't give expert advice, just relate my experience. I have not tried the more expensive dedicated hunting packs and I am sure they are great, but I have no complaints with the ILBE. It'll get the job done and then some.

HD
'Dawg thanks for throwing up the pics. After looking around seems like I can buy a complete NIB ILBE Gen 2 for a about half the money of a new MR Nice Crew Cab w/lid. And after reading over at rokslide where most say if you are taller, than 5' 9" guy, the load lifters won't work for ya. I'm 6' tall plus an old former Marine, when we used the Alice Packs, like I said old! LOL The attraction of the MR stuff was because I'm not a camo guy but I am pretty sure I can talk my wife into sewing up a light weight pack cover for it.

Cheers!
WB
There are two ILBE packs in my house. One for my son and a loner pack. I have a Kifaru ZXR and love it. Having said that I'm not sure if I would have got it if the ILBE's came first. The ILBE's are very well constructed, but a little heavy. Having looked at 30+ ILBE packs the only sizing I have seen is in the belt size, S,M,L and the same sizing for women. Be careful if you are not able to get the lid with the pack as the Gen1 and Gen2 do not interchange, black buckles to black buckles, an to tan.

For the money I don't think you will find a better deal than the ILBE, at this time. As for packing game we used an ILBE, my ZXR and a Kelty Super Tioga to pack out an Elk back in 2012. Each pack ran 80lbs+. I think it was a toss up between the ILBE and ZXR for stability and comfort.

Parko
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Go in medium weight come out super heavy!

I'd be mean and rotten to tell a guy he's goin' in light with a NICE frame. Bombproof, yeah. Light, no.
Not a crewcab fan having tried that route. Zero load lifter help and it rides like a sack of bricks on your shoulders when its loaded down. I now use a 7500 pack on the NICE frame - much better. Light - hell no. But it carries good and I have all my crap organized & ready to roll with plenty of space left over to hump out meat.

Personally, I would either get the ILBE or a full size MR (6500 or 7500), Kifaru, or other. I have never seen a Blue Widow, but people seem to like them.
Had a crewcab, sold it. carried the ILBE over 6,500 elevation change with 65 lbs in the cascades over rock and snow. amazing pack, IMHO.
ILBE is essentially an Arcteryx Bora on a smallish frame... for a better fit for many (most?) users, the Bora 80 and 95 are going to work better and be more comfortable.

The photos above pretty well illustrate the point... that pack is too small for HatchieDog... a taller frame would give the load-lifters the ability to work and add a LOT more comfort.

Just a head's up...
Brad,

I understand that. Since I'm only 6' and built as standard as standard gets. Do you think it will fit me properly?

Thanks,!
Wild Bill
Brad,

I understand that. Since I'm only 6' and built as standard as standard gets. Do you think it will fit me properly?

Thanks,!
Wild Bill

Your height is only a minor consideration, your torso length is what matters. Here is how to measure it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4VqSX3NpQ
Yep, it's all about your torso measurement... depending who measures me I'm 21.5-22"... but I'm only 5'10"... I take a Tall/Large/Xtra-Large in most packs, whereas I've seen guys that are over 6' that are a medium frame.

Yeah, I'm a 20 incher! So what would that be a Medium?
Bill that would be right I believe, but only in a Bora 80 or 95.

Not all are the same... I tired a Bora 65 in "Tall" and it was too short for me... IMO, if an ILBE is available in tall that's what I'd get in your position. The ILBE's don't fit me however... they're similar in frame-size to the Bora 65 (and smaller).

You want the stays bent to your back, weight in the pack and the load lifters ABOVE your shoulders @ 30-45*.
I guess ignorance really is bliss.

The pack felt good to me, again with the weight on the small of my back and the remainder tight to my torso. Seven days in a row is the most I have used the pack at one time and I have had no more than about 75lbs in it and that was mostly down hill that day, but my experience has been nothing but positive. The ILBE has been one of my best purchases and one of the things I left alone when I upgraded equipment this past season.

With that said, I am a neophyte when it comes to backpack hunting and backpacking in general. I am sure there is better out there but the ILBE has served me well.

I am 6'3" and slightly built for information's sake.
Originally Posted by HatchieDawg

No, ignorance is just ignorance.

Wrongside can you help me with the issue of fit? confused Everybody says fit is the most important. How do I determine what would fit me. I read the article @ rokslide Backpacks A-Z. And he mentioned how to measure you back from the 7th vert down to the top of the hip bone but then didn't give any suggestions for fit???

Thanks!

Sorry for missing this, Wild_Bill.

Brad got ya looked after pretty well anyways... smile Some of the other fellas have posted good photos with poorly fit packs, IE; non functioning load lifters. Load lifters are very important and become critical as the weight nears 100 pounds.

Originally Posted by Brad

You want the stays bent to your back, weight in the pack and the load lifters ABOVE your shoulders @ 30-45*.
Thanks for covering my back grin

Load lifters are, of course, critical and are there for a reason... removing that function due to poor fit eliminates an unquantifiable but important aspect of an internal's function and comfort, even at weights under 30 lbs.

Originally Posted by HatchieDawg

No, ignorance is just ignorance.

There you go, and I thought I had something perfectly serviceable and comfortable. Now in my enlightened state I know I don't.
I expected you not to like having a faulty fit pointed out, and did my best to not offend you. Obviously to no avail.

The intention was to help others who are new to this gear by using the photos on the thread, pointing out an all too common mistakes in carrying/fitting an internal. It's seen routinely on this forum (in photos) and in the backcountry. It's painful to look at.

Sometimes knowing what ISN'T right is as important or helpful as knowing what is, and pictures usually help make the point best.

By your own admission you're a neophyte. Just a thought.

It's become increasingly pointless to want to be of any help and it's threads like this that really make me want to sit on my own hard-won experience.

I can be a bit blunt at times, no doubt, but my intention is to be a help. Some are just too thin-skinned to be any help to.
In all seriousness, how about a photo spread with your Bora 80 showing fit Brad.
Originally Posted by bloodworks
In all seriousness, how about a photo spread with your Bora 80 showing fit Brad.

Great idea. The setup instructions that came with my Mystery Ranch crew can sucked.
Originally Posted by BWalker

Great idea. The setup instructions that came with my Mystery Ranch crew can sucked.

Gents, when I get some time I'll do a pack fit seminar on-line... right now I'm building my own house (solo) and have limited time... should be moving-in mid May.

Thanks for covering my back grin

Load lifters are, of course, critical and are there for a reason... removing that function due to poor fit eliminates an unquantifiable but important aspect of an internal's function and comfort, even at weights under 30 lbs.

Well, you were right and picking up my slack. smile

Honestly, I'd been backpacking for years before adding backcountry hunting into the mix. I knew what and how load lifters work, but never REALLY appreciated them until packing full meat loads over distance. I think lots of guys speak from that 'before' perspective, and don't mean any harm, but are simply... well, inexperienced or wrong. To this day, not that I intentionally go there often, I'm fine with sub 50ish pound loads and less than ideal pack fit/design. ( Perhaps it's that strong shoulders, weak mind thing. I am a pretty popular pack 'mule' around these parts... laugh ) Heavier loads require better fitment and pack or I quickly become cranky.

One of the problems with this thing we call the 'Innanet', is that everyone can give advice or opinion. All opinions are not created equal...

Gents... right now I'm building my own house (solo) and have limited time... should be moving-in mid May.

Good luck with that! I build for a living and that's no small task...
Yeah, I build for a living as well and it is no small task. Decided to take a year to myself and do it the way I want it.

Our last house... kids are both in College. From here on out building only for others or rental's for myself.
Here ya go! Pictures of a crewcab and thread on topic. Never again.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2491943/1
Yeah, I build for a living as well and it is no small task. Decided to take a year to myself and do it the way I want it.

Our last house... kids are both in College. From here on out building only for others or rental's for myself.

Nice! I like to do that someday also. Just have too find the right place to build that 'last' house and get the boys sent off to college. 9 more years... smile

conrad101st,

That looked painful.

I have hunting pards who did the MR NICE thing, whether CC or 6500s, all have moved on to other packs. A mixture of MR internals, Arcteryx BORAs and Kifaru now.
I have a fully rigged NICE OK frame with a 6500 bag and DP Lid, Long Pockets, etc, etc. It is a heavy pack, but, VERY comfortable under heavy loads.

I also have one of if not the first original Gen. 1 NICE frames sold into Canada, rigged with a Wolf bag and all the above. I have now had this since 2006 and often pack a total of 80+ lbs. in it during training hikes.

I am 66+ years old and carried my first pack at age 10, here in BC, started actual backpack camping in June, 1964 and have owned many packs, including two Kifarus.

I find my MR packs, the two NICE units, the BDSB I waited about nine months to receive in 2006 and my Deluxe from that time to be outstanding, as my several Dana Design packs have also been.

I also find that MR's QC and materials are superior to any other commercial maker I have seen, but, that comes at the cost of weight, you can't have it both ways.

I might well buy a full-on "Dyneema" McHale this year and that is IT, but, if you can get the fit dialed, the MR packs WILL do the job and last like no others I have seen. My oldest one is an original DD Bomb Pack, bought in 1978, used as a work pack in some of my years working in the BC and Alberta wilderness and it is STILL rocksolid....wish to hell I was! smile

All that said, I have scored three of the Dana Terraframes, got some good advice from "Vek" here some years ago and I now have two "Shortbeds", which convert to bare frames and one "longbed Loadmaster" which is a neat green colour and is going to be my mountain lake fishing pack for the next several years.

You pretty much have to try packs out to find what works best for you, but, there are lots of "used" items out there to experiment with until you know what works for you under major loads.

If, I were young, again, I would just buy a used older, solid Kelty or CampTrails frame pack, put my basic gear in stuff sacks lashed to this and get out and hike, hunt, fish and learn by doing, which is more fun and a better "school" than the internet....blisters, bugs, spinters and all!
Well here's the question then?? How is the best way to figure out fit of a heavy load hauler w/ day pack, other than years of painful experimentation? Already done the pain thing and I'm not interested in doing it again or any more. My torso measurement is 20". The ILBE has no reference to torso sizing that I can find? I am having a very hard time thinking about paying $400-$600 for a pack!!!

Cheers,
Wild Bill

Someone with 20k posts doesnt have time to take pictures or put on a pack, just ridicule others....duh.
Originally Posted by JWP58

Someone with 20k posts doesnt have time to take pictures or put on a pack, just ridicule others....duh.

There was no ridicule, and I'm too busy building a house... your reading comprehension is in the gutter along with what's left of your brain.

Now that's ridicule...
Originally Posted by JWP58

There was no ridicule, and I'm too busy building a house... your reading comprehension is in the gutter along with what's left of your brain.

Now that's ridicule...

Well you better get to building or are you going for 40k?
20K in 13 years ain't that much... been far busier than your meager mind can comprehend.
Well here's the question then?? How is the best way to figure out fit of a heavy load hauler w/ day pack, other than years of painful experimentation? Already done the pain thing and I'm not interested in doing it again or any more. My torso measurement is 20". The ILBE has no reference to torso sizing that I can find? I am having a very hard time thinking about paying $400-$600 for a pack!!!

Cheers,
Wild Bill

What specific pack(s) are you interested in fitting to yourself?

I "might" be able to assist, but, would need more detailed info. as above, to offer any suggestions that I would consider more than just some of the same BS that has plagued this thread, so far.

Fitting packs, boots, whatever, is NOT "rocket science", but, it does make a major difference in comfort and getting a given pack "dialed" CAN take some time and effort.

I tend to allow for a "break-in time" on my internal frame packs and accept that most externals do not have quite the same degree of fit by "fine-tuning" as a top end internal design will have. One does not use an external in quite the same way as an internal, so, some compromise may be acceptable.

If, your physical conditioning is "off", ANY pack will NOT work as designed and a big gut tends to offset a good pack fit. so, as I know the "hardway" at my age, this issue also requires attention...and SWEAT! Groan, too many miles on the track earlier today! smile
I hate getting in a pissing match on the web but it is easy to do it seems. From the start, I said I was just relating my experience with my pack which has been perfectly acceptable. I have never felt ill-fitted or uncomfortable under load with the ILBE. As I have described a couple of times I can get the pack close to my torso and the weight on the small of my back or at least into the lordotic curve of the lumbar spine. I've carried a lot of meat that way but not a lot of meat a lot of times, neophyte as I said. Nothing has changed my experience with the pack, It has been good.

With that said, Brad is spot on with his fit advice as far as I can tell. Below is a link from REI on how to fit a pack and the proper use of load lifters. I think I have been getting by so to speak by tightening down the shoulder straps and the load lifters I guess. I am going by the video here. From what I can tell the pack is short for me. I have not measured C7 to the transect of the iliac crests and still don't really know how to use that measurement but agree the pack is probably short.

Despite Brad's quick dismissal of my ignorance is bliss argument, there is a lot of truth there. I have been perfectly happy and comfortable with the ILBE. Now I wonder.... I may be damn near bullet proof if I get the perfect pack.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-adjusting-fit.html
I would like to see an end to the bickering, longdicking and chestbeating as well as personal slagging that oftimes really impairs this section of "24Hr". This, is THE BEST site I have ever seen and worth spending time on, so, maybe we all could let the temper tantrums take place on other sites and treat each other as "friends" here?
Still looking at packs here. Was horned up to get an MR Nice last year but after trying one I realized that thing was unusable for my 6'3" frame and carried weight far worse than my Badlands 2200 does. Still slumming my 15 year old Rei Great star for most multi day jaunts with success though it's getting long in the tooth and it shows. Hopefully I'll figure something out before sept or it'll be a long season.
Was this JUST the NICE Frame,as I have used/owned some Badlands packs, actual original US-made and offshore models, have one now and none of them came close to my MR packs, NICE included.

With a bag that has the lifter attachments I have not seen any of the many people I have turned onto MR NICE rigs suffer at all. but, every body is different.

That said, I would go for a MR internal or maybe a Stone Glacier, a very nice looking simple pack, LONG before I would hump a heavy load in one of Badland's current or offshore offerings.

What, exactly, are you hunting and where as this can make some difference in your requirements?
kutenay,

My primary interest is the USMC ILBE Gen II pack because of cost and some say it is like the Arc'teryx Bora? which should be a good product. I'm 6', weigh 192, waist is 34" and my torso measurement is 20". I'm looking for a pack that is capable of hauling meat after the kill but I need to have some sort of a bag on it to carry the things to make an enjoyable hunt for my hunting partner..My Wife. So I'll be carrying items like, First Aid Kit, Survival Kit, Lunch, Game Bags, Shooting stick, extra clothing some times, etc.

I currently have a Coleman Peak 1, which is horrible. And a metal pack frame with a fold down shelf that kicks my butt hauling meat. Plus I have to go back to the truck to get that. I also have and used a dual pouch fanny pack which wears me out on long hikes.

As you can see I know NOTHING! About back packs, fitting, and use!! So any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Wild Bill
I found this today after looking all over the place.

"The pack system is a modified commercial Arc'teryx Bora 95 pack."
[Linked Image]

So based on this info I'd say the marine standard issue ILBE Gen II will fit me just fine.
Cheers,
Wild Bill
Besides my MR 7500, I have the Arc'teryx Bora 70 (I think that's the size) and its a good all around pack. For the money, I suspect the ILBE will be a good ruck for your needs.
I havent used mine, but i picked it up for 65 bucks on ebay. It should work well for me this summer and hopefully help pack out an elk this archery season.
I am with you Wild Bill I am personally looking at the same thing you are. And if people think that the ILBE is just as good as the Crew Cab then it sounds like a better deal.
Originally Posted by kutenay
I would like to see an end to the bickering, longdicking and chestbeating as well as personal slagging that oftimes really impairs this section of "24Hr". This, is THE BEST site I have ever seen and worth spending time on, so, maybe we all could let the temper tantrums take place on other sites and treat each other as "friends" here?

I agree. Seems the problems oftentimes originate from those who indeed do have lots of experience and knowledge but unfortunately, also have a grossly over inflated opinion of themselves. People innocently seek council from those more knowledgeable and if someone dare question, disagree or fail to kiss their perceived royal butt, they are treated with contempt, scorn and ridicule. I suppose this helps to further inflate the already massive ego...dunno. I truly wonder how some on here even get by in life the way they treat people. I can scarcely imagine their level of social retardation and can only assume they don't have the cajones to treat people face to face they way they do here lest someone gouge their eyeballs out.

And BTW, I'm not referring to you Kute. You've always patiently offered help to anyone who asked. I respect that.
Shrek, Looks like to me the ILBE or the FILBE would be a pretty decent pack for what I am wanting to do.

I'm really Leaning towards the FILBE or what ever the Marine Corps wants to call it. It's not in Camo plus it is adjustable from standard torso length to a long torso length.

It's also made here in the USA!!!

Cheers,
Wild Bill
When, all of the various options, opinions, comments and requirements of choosing this or any item of gear are carefully considered,the most important one is still obvious. That is, DO YOU feel good and like a given pack when wearing it under the average load YOU will pack with it?

One of the most apparent problems with discussions of this nature, is that everyone is physically, emotionally and financially different AND uses the gear they buy in different environments. This, often seems to lead to attitude held by some that THEIR opinions/suggestions are THE ANSWER and NO other options can possibly be valid.....fortunately, there actually is less of this here than on some sites I have participated in and withdrawn from as such bullsh*t bores me.

So, given the cost of these Arcteryx military packs, as I understand it, US military surplus, this seems a damned good pack for you to obtain, test and work the hell out of....then, IF, you are not satisfied, go from there.

I will say, again, what I have posted here several times; you DO NOT NEED to buy thousands of $$$$$ worth of very costly, specialized gear to backpack hunt safely, enjoyably and successfully. I have done this for almost a half century, used a LOT of gear, but, quite a lot of it is older, worn but still functional stuff I bought from 1964-1978 and I have NO intention of buying more stuff unless I honestly NEED it.....which, when it comes to the latest, "in" camo. stretchy, waterproof "Kewl" clothing, for example, I bloody well DO NOT!

Let us know if this pack works for you and, btw, EdT, among the very few actual "experts" here, IMHO, told me of a Grantite Gear pack that looks very useful to me and he might post on it, as another alternative at a price most can live with.
Thanks for saying about the FILBE pack didn't know anything about them till Wild Bill said that is what he is possibly looking at it. I like that Mystery Ranch helped design it and that the NICE frame can be used. After seeing that it if I can find one for a decent price I may get that instead of the Crew Cab.
Yeah and the important thing for me it is adjustable for torso length. Plus it does seem a little shorter than the ILBE and they say it will carry more weight!
Originally Posted by kutenay
I have NO intention of buying more stuff unless I honestly NEED it

Sell that to someone that actually believes it laugh
Back to packs... some things are subjective based on a person's torso and hips, some things are non-negotiable/non-subjective. Load lifters that work are a non-negotiable with anything over a daypack type weight. Stays that can be bent to the wearer's back are non-negotiable, unless you're one of the 40-or-so-% that fall in line with the manufacturers pre-bent, non-removeable stays.

Kifaru is doing it mostly right. McHale is too. Arcteryx is barely holding on. Deuter isn't too bad if a one-size pack works for you. Ditto Lowe. Apart from those (and likely a couple others) the pack market is dismal.

For what its worth I've been looking at a lot of packs through the net the past few days and playing with mine. I understand the load lifter concept better now if not completely. With my ILBE I can get the lifters to neutral or just barely beyond, but that's it. I certainly can't get them to 45 degrees which is what REI and Bacpacker recommend. I can get the weight on the small of my back though but really tighten the belt, for reference again I am 6'3".

My wife is a broad shouldered German and stands at 5'9". I put the pack on her, followed the fitting instructions from REI and the damn thing looks perfect. The load lifters are at a 45 deg angle or so and she stated the pack felt like it was part of her.

Now, in looking at several websites of the latest and greatest packs I noticed in the studio photos the load lifters are usually well deployed so to speak at a fairly sharp upward angle. From what I saw and understood of the field photos there are a lot of guys using these packs with the load lifters looking little different from the ones on my ILBE, way below 45 deg.

So...are they that much better?

Just my thoughts and observations since this thread got me thinking.

HD

Load lifters really don't need to be at a 45* angle... in fact, though 30* is often cited as the shallowest angle that is ideal, I've found that even 20* works and is certainly better than nothing.

Load Lifters are designed for just that... pulling the load toward your center of gravity (where it carries most comfortably) while at the same time "lifting-up" the shoulder straps from the top of your shoulders so that your back and shoulders are not doing the work, but your hips and legs are...

My wife is a Nazi about load lifters and yanks them as tight as anyone I've ever seen... far more than me. This picture should give an idea. And BTW, she's 52 years old and can hike!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Brad,

Seriously, your wife is 52?

Single sisters? I think you owe me for letting you have the 308 back....
I used my $35 ILBE again this week to haul 6-8 lots of firewood out of the neighbors woods. Impressed more with it every time I use it. Again, not as nice as the Kifaru, but I abuse the heck out of it and it comes back asking for more.
Load lifters really don't need to be at a 45* angle... in fact, though 30* is often cited as the shallowest angle that is ideal, I've found that even 20* works and is certainly better than nothing.

Load Lifters are designed for just that... pulling the load toward your center of gravity (where it carries most comfortably) while at the same time "lifting-up" the shoulder straps from the top of your shoulders so that your back and shoulders are not doing the work, but your hips and legs are...

My wife is a Nazi about load lifters and yanks them as tight as anyone I've ever seen... far more than me. This picture should give an idea. And BTW, she's 52 years old and can hike!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now I'm confused. I thought this was incorrect. In fact, I've given up a couple of packs thinking they were too large for my torso length because the straps elevated off my shoulders when the lifters were cinched down. And I've shortened an Eberlestock so the straps gently rested across my shoulders rather than being lifted off. I realize proper adjustment should take the pressure off the shoulders but the straps should actually be OFF the shoulders? Newbie question here, maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Snubbie, my wife takes it to an extreme, but YES, load lifters should lift the shoulder straps up and off the top of your shoulders (that's why the angle is important... below 30* the lifters aren't lifting the shoulder straps UP, but rather backwards, or in some cases downwards, like the pack in the pictures I pointed out).

When load lifters are being used correctly, essentially what the shoulder straps are doing is keeping the pack against your back and at your center of gravity, NOT carrying any weight.

That's why they're called load LIFTERS, and again, that's why the "angle of attack" is important.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Brad,

Seriously, your wife is 52?

Single sisters? I think you owe me for letting you have the 308 back....

Ha... yes, she's 52. Complete gym rat. More importantly a delightful person. Our 28th anniversary is this August... I can honestly say she's the kindest person I've ever known.
I'm totally impressed with a man who, after 28 years, refers to his wife as a "delightful person."

That's pretty cool to me.

DW
Snubbie, my wife takes it to an extreme, but YES, load lifters should lift the shoulder straps up and off the top of your shoulders (that's why the angle is important... below 30* the lifters aren't lifting the shoulder straps UP, but rather backwards, or in some cases downwards, like the pack in the pictures I pointed out).

When load lifters are being used correctly, essentially what the shoulder straps are doing is keeping the pack against your back and at your center of gravity, NOT carrying any weight.

That's why they're called load LIFTERS, and again, that's why the "angle of attack" is important.

Thanks, I need to load my packs and stand in front of a mirror.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I'm totally impressed with a man who, after 28 years, refers to his wife as a "delightful person."

That's pretty cool to me.

DW

David, you're very kind to say so... and the best part is it's true. I truly lover her more now than when we first married... not the norm I know, and I don't take that for granted.
Originally Posted by snubbie

Thanks, I need to load my packs and stand in front of a mirror.

Snubbie, you're welcome.

My goal has always been to be a help here. I quit carrying external frames in 1978 when I got my first internal and have used literally multiple dozens since then over 1000's of miles.

So if I seem a bit opinionated, those opinions weren't just formed in a year or two, or even a decade or two.

I understand not all bodies are the same, but there are basics that don't change, body to body.
some things are subjective based on a person's torso and hips, some things are non-negotiable/non-subjective. Load lifters that work are a non-negotiable with anything over a daypack type weight. Stays that can be bent to the wearer's back are non-negotiable, unless you're one of the 40-or-so-% that fall in line with the manufacturers pre-bent, non-removeable stays.

Got it! That takes the FILBE out now I can focus on the ILBE! Thanks Brad! That's the kind of info I was looking for!!!

Cheers,
Wild Bill
Here's a video I put together on stay bending, pack fitting, and lifter use. Yes, it is specific to one of our packs, but I had it in mind that it might help folks with other packs as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93IDVv1NI_k
Thanks, Evan! That helps me with the fit!

Cheers,
Wild Bill
© 24hourcampfire