Home
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/16/13
Anyone have any time on the Mt. with this pack?
Posted By: snubbie Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/16/13
Put "Kelty Cashe Hauler" into the search function. It has been discussed multiple times. You'll find plenty of information.

Yeah, I know, it's easier and more fun to just ask.
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/16/13
I've tried that, it doesn't work.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/16/13
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1318518/1
Thanks, just what I needed.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/16/13
I hauled a 126 lbs in the cache hauler yesterday doing some pack comparisons. I've also used it on the mountain for a rear and front elk quarter bone in off trail in the dark and it was fine. It's lacking is feeling comfy at lower loads
Posted By: arffdog875 Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/16/13
I hauled my elk with one last fall, it was ok...need to figure out how to keep elk quarters from shifting back and forth, other than that it did it's job!
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/16/13
Fundamentally, the Cache Hauler has a stiff frame, and a reasonably comfortable belt the pulls tight using a mechanical advantage (patented sherer cinch). Therefore, it handles big loads well. It is mass produced, inexpensive, and pretty basic. However, it is effective at what it does even though it lacks the purpose built attention to detail. It is what it is. During my limited pack comparison testing, I did notice that while it does what it does well (which is carrying a heavy load), there are subtle differences in how different pack designs load your body. It does load heavy into certain areas. These differences are more noticeable at really heavy weights. For lesser loads, it would not not be my number one choice, although I would not be opposed to it at all. Its just for moderate loads only , there are better choices. It just lacks the features and movement at lesser weights. For heavy weights though, it is fundamentally sound, although basic.
Posted By: RockChucker30 Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/16/13
The cache hauler is very good at what it is designed to do, which is hauling heavy, large, or awkward loads. It does have some limitations. As arffdog alluded, it's stock compression isn't very robust or good at securing a big load. It's simply two small compression straps coming off the wings.

The solution is to use paracord or some other cordage to secure the load really well. A ratchet strap actually works really well, but it is heavier than other options.

I did five miles with 85 lbs in mine yesterday on a training hike and it did fine. In fact, it is one of the top two packs that I've ever tested, and I've owned 23 or 24 high end backpacking packs over the years.
Posted By: timat46 Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/16/13
what is the deal with Paradox Packs?when I click on that link I can't find a pack just some vague descriptions
Posted By: RockChucker30 Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/16/13
Timat, we're nearing the end of the proto and testing stage. More info will be released in the next few weeks.
Thanks guys! Good reviews with actual in field use.
Posted By: okhill Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/17/13
Adk, I told you could find your info here as opposed from adkforum. - Chaser
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/18/13
Thanks! That was you on Adk Forum?
Posted By: okhill Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/18/13
yes sir
Posted By: Adkstalker Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/19/13
What's the web address to the ADK forum?
Posted By: Adkstalker Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/19/13
Forget it.....who would of thought it could br adkforum
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: Kelty Cache Hauler - 05/20/13
I sleep with my guns.
© 24hourcampfire