Home
Posted By: Shag Lightweight hiking pants - 07/06/13
Been using ExOfficio. Also thinking about some Columbia sportwear. But seems like maybe I remember some here talking about the Royal Robins. Loose fit especially through crotch area a must.
I bought a pair a couple years ago though I'm not exactly sure the exact model. Were a light nylon with zip off legs to convert into shorts. I loved them except for the fact the sizing ran small. I mail ordeted and wished I had gone with a bigger size.
Posted By: setch Re: Royal Robbins hiking pants - 07/07/13
Check out the Kuhl pants....super tough and very roomy. REI has a great selection.
REI Saharas work for me.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/07/13
Golf pants from Target are pretty good for summer trail hikes. They're light, comfy and fairly inexpensive.
I use nylon fishing pants with zip off legs. They dry faster, fit loose, and are as cool as any. My favorites are Columbia Titaniums. I don't know if they use that name now but they have a lot of similar ones in the $45-50 range.
If you want some stretch the OR Ferrosi is hard to beat and pretty cheap. Like if Schoeller Dynamic was lighter weight.
Posted By: djb Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/08/13
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I use nylon fishing pants with zip off legs. They dry faster, fit loose, and are as cool as any. My favorites are Columbia Titaniums. I don't know if they use that name now but they have a lot of similar ones in the $45-50 range.

This. I wear them year round. When it gets colder, I just add another layer of merino underneath.
If you have an Academy nearby, their brand of zip-off pants are only about $20, and their under armour style boxer breifs are only about $10...I've had several pairs of the pants for about 3 years now with no problems and the boxers for over a year. It's a whole lot easier on the pocketbook and work just as good as the more expensive stuff.
I like Rail Riders. They are the toughest light pants I've ever seen.
Posted By: setch Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/09/13
Lots of choices Shag. Let us know what you end up with and how they work out.
Posted By: pointer Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/09/13
Originally Posted by RockChucker30
I like Rail Riders. They are the toughest light pants I've ever seen.
I've long thought those would be nice, just haven't sprung for any yet. Do you have the one's with the vents on the side?
Posted By: talentrec Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/09/13
For light weight, the original Railriders Weather Pants are really good. I also have a pair of their Versatac Mids, which are actually a little heavy.
Posted By: 4100fps Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/09/13
I thought 501's were the rage.
Posted By: COR Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/11/13
Marmot Scree pants for me
Posted By: UKdave Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/11/13

Dont laugh... but... the Bear Grylls pants are VERY good,Im not sure the model (I will look when Im home) but they have stretch knees and bum, they dry quick and are very tough, pretty light as wil
Patagonia Rock Craft Pants. Very light and athletic fit. No baggy stuff snagging during a bushwhack.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

same here
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/13/13
Originally Posted by COR
Marmot Scree pants for me

+1
Posted By: TB8 Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/13/13
KUIU Tiburon pants for me. I was using the Attacks before but the Tiburon's are much more breathable and cooler. Very fast drying and durable too.
Posted By: Kushtekaa Re: Lightweight hiking pants - 07/14/13
I've had several pair over the years, my favorite our Mountain Hardware. My wife also wears that same brand & likes hers very much. There was a man that walked across the Brooks Range in Alaska & he spoke highly of the Columbia Titaniums (?). If you google "walk across alaska", you'll get his home page & you can click to his gear review. It would have been easier to just give the link. Anyways here it is: http://bucktrack.com/Alaska_Backpacking_Gear_List_Review.html

If you like remote hiking in raw wilderness, I would highly suggest his DVD. He filmed & hiked this solo. We use to have it here at the house & I would watch it a few times a year. My wildlife biology professor talked me out of it, for teaching instructions. I was glad to share it with my co-students.
Pants Columbia Titanium Nylon Convertible 19 Another great article of clothing. Mosquito proof, fast drying, lightweight and comfortable. I only zipped off the legs and wore them as shorts once due to mosquitoes, rain, cold, or a combination of the three! Outstanding

Yup. Same pants I have. They're listed as fishing pants so they might not show up under searches for hiking.

Im pretty sure theyve dropped the Titanium name but these look very much like them NYLON PANTS
© 24hourcampfire