Home
Posted By: Biathlonman 2 man tent recommendation? - 10/27/13
I just sold a tarptent contrail and rainshadow and now regret it. Leaning toward tarptent as I've loved everything that I have had from them. Was thinking a tent with room for one and gear or two folks and no gear. I still have a Kifaru sawtooth and a Hennessy hammock. Just looking for suggestions so I don't miss anything. Would like a floor in this one.
I've always been fond of VE-25's. They've never failed in the absolute worst of conditions you could imagine. I've never had one blow apart in storm-force (70+ MPH) winds or collapse under unprecedented snow loads (12+ inches).
Sorry, should have mentioned nothing over 3 lbs. Please.
Since you had a tarp tent before; take a look at Six Moons Design Lunar Duo. 54" x 90" and 42 ounces in silnylon. A heavier polyster version is now available. This tent can use trekking poles (or you can purchase the optional poles from SMD). I've had mine for 3 years now and still love it. I use mine solo and have plenty of room for my Kelty Super Tioga.
Posted By: prm Re: 2 man tent recommendation? - 10/27/13
Seek Outside BCS. Great tent.
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Sorry, should have mentioned nothing over 3 lbs. Please.

3# or less, with floor, two men? COWalt's SMD reccomendation or the Tarp/net tent version is about the sum total out there. I wouldn't want to be above timberline in shoulder season with either.
Posted By: Boise Re: 2 man tent recommendation? - 10/27/13
Had my Tarptent at tree line during a heck of a good hail storm. Couldn't have asked for better performance. I wouldn't use my model in the snow because I fear it would reach the mesh at the top of my tub floor. Also, it has next to nothing for a vestibule.

I'm going to use it here in Kentucky 90% of the time. Not sure I've ever seen tree line so no worries there.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: 2 man tent recommendation? - 10/28/13
You will probably end up with 3-4 Contrails like I did. just the BCS for me now though.
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I'm going to use it here in Kentucky 90% of the time. Not sure I've ever seen tree line so no worries there.

I'd go Lunar Solo then, and pick something else for two people.
Posted By: docdb Re: 2 man tent recommendation? - 10/28/13
Saggy moist silnylon (tarptent, had three and sold 'em)ain't my thing. With your parameters (floor, two guys, 3lbs), I'd go Big Agnes Copper Spur uL-3 (had one three years now). If bad weather or exposed conditions were expected, I'd give the Hilleberg Allak (spent several nights in mine) the nod (but it's twice your weight). With that said, I'd much prefer to have individual shelters and a community tarp...current favorite is a Warbonnett Blackbird.
Don
Posted By: kutenay Re: 2 man tent recommendation? - 10/28/13
Yup, severe weather = Hilleberg tents before ANY others I have used and that includes quite a number since my first actual overnight backpack camping in spring, 1964.

Hey, Don, where ya been, good fella, thot you may have "gone native" on us and disappeared into the NWT's remote backcountry, living on "Bou, Dall's Sheep and "Inconnu"! wink
If you like Tarp Tents it really is hard to beat the Double Rainbow for a 2 man. Sets up easy, can be free standing and can handle 4 season weather here in the East with the clip in liner.
I use mine into November here in New York And Pennsylvania. I really don't find condensation to be much of an issue.
Originally Posted by docdb
Saggy moist silnylon (tarptent, had three and sold 'em)ain't my thing. ........current favorite is a Warbonnett Blackbird.
Don

You finally caught on smile Can't beat a hammock above 20F if there are trees nearby. Only tried one tarptent and I agree, most of his designs have areas with not enought slope, IMO. My next solo shelter will be a SMD Lunar Solo for that reason as it is basically a tipi of sorts. No winter shelter for sure but would deal with a bit of snow better than most of Shire's designs, except maybe the Moment.
Not sure if you have tried the SL-5 or not. I had a BCS for the fall of 2012 & it just didn't work for me. Picked up a SL-5 & it may be the ticket. To make your weight you will need to get a 1/2 size floor & sell the one that comes with the it. I am thinking about having sod skirt sewn on it as well to help negate the need for the 1/2 nest.
The SL-5 is a lot of tent for the money and weight. I'd say it's a two man with gear tent though, which doesn't really fit the OP's parameters.
Bugs seem to be more annoying here then weather. Flies were horrible on my elk hunt last week. Gonna have to look over SMD tents then make a decision, thanks guys!
Posted By: 338WIN Re: 2 man tent recommendation? - 10/28/13
Have not used it in the field yet, but I picked up the Six Moon Design Lunar Duo. I like having the nest basically built in. I'm using is as mostly a one man unit because I am a big guy. I'll be wringing it out this summer and will give a report then. Washington doesn't really have much in the way of deadly inscts, but lots of annoying insects and crawly critters.
After reading so much good written about them, I picked up a BA Seedhouse 2 tent and it was great until I experienced a serious thunderstorm - even tho seam sealed and staked out tight, in sideways wind, heavy rain, had water coming in from all directions - I spent 4 hours in the storm soaking up rainwater from the inside to prevent my down bag from becoming soaked.I have gone back to a REI half-dome - heavier, but the vestibule goes low to the ground, has ample space on both sides of the tent and rides out storm better, in my experience - it's a great tent, but not ultralightweight.
I've also had good experience with a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight in bad weather (alho not as bad as the night from hell in the SL-2). It's under 3 lbs I believe. It's not free-standing tho, if that matter to you...I feel more comfortable going with more tent weight and better protection in very bad weather.
I know I'm a little old school but I think it should be a 1 man 1 woman tent.
But another vote for the tarp tent stuff, I don't backpack much anymore but I always figured a little heaver tent is worth it in the long run
Posted By: 222Rem Re: 2 man tent recommendation? - 11/04/13
Originally Posted by Maverick940
I've always been fond of VE-25's. They've never failed in the absolute worst of conditions you could imagine. I've never had one blow apart in storm-force (70+ MPH) winds or collapse under unprecedented snow loads (12+ inches).

I just bought a Mountain 25 which is even lower profile than the VE, so in theory, even more wind resistant. Hopefully I get some really rotten weather to ride out with it. smile
If you are looking for light weight 3 season my favorite is Hyperlite Mountain Gear Echo II
Not sure if this would work for you, but I have started using the Hilleberg Rajd. It is 2lb 7 oz and has plenty of room for two 6 ft people. I would not recommend it, but there are a few really experienced guys that have been using it on Mt. Rainier. I only mention that because, if pitched correctly, the shelter itself can withstand some pretty harsh weather.
I live in Utah and camp here, as well as Wyoming, so our humidity is drastically different than KY. But you say you elk hunt, so you must be camping in the Rockies somewhere.
I am biased towards Hilleberg, as I retail them and have used most all of them for over 12 years. Incredibly strong and lightweight fabric. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.
I would consider the go-lite sl-3...palatial for one man with gear...still have room for 2 with some gear, and great bug nest.
It's light, has multiple pitch options, and I've always been bone dry in mine.
The only drawback is it has no vestibule, so your gear is in the tent, but it has plenty of room, so its almost a moot point, just remember to bring a trash bag for muddy clothes or boots.
Posted By: Calvin Re: 2 man tent recommendation? - 11/29/13
I use the MSR Hubba Hubba (I think that's what it's called). It's light. Not sure how light. It doesn't break the bank either.
I'm digging my Big Agnes Seedhouse 3.
No complaints with my REI Quarter Dome T3 plus. But if I was going solo, I'd like a hammock.
At barely a pound over the OP's weight restriction, I recently chose the Hilleberg Unna as my solo+ dog+ gear tent. The Unna is bombproof, simple to set-up with no fuss, and can easily stand the rough ground or dog claws on the floor. It has no vestibule, but I've found that even on my larger tents, I rarely use them. The Unna is listed as a solo tent, but it really is huge for a single person. My 60lb dog, backpack and gear, and me have plenty room not to get claustrophobic.

I could certainly shave a pound or two off with another shelter system, but if one or two pounds gives me increased peace of mind, increased longevity, and increased ease of use and safety, it is one area I am OK spending it. I tried the whole ultralight thing, and in some ways shaving ounces really will help. But there are certain areas in which I've decided not to go the ounce=counter method. A backpack, shelter, and sleep system (in other words the "big 3", I am OK with strength and durability over extreme weight savings. For instance I don't care how much weight I would save, I would never carry a down quilt or bag instead of a synthetic one.

I'm sorely tempted to try a hammock, but I always backpack with my dog, so that's not really a possibility.
Posted By: KC Re: 2 man tent recommendation? - 12/01/13
If you have $$$ then go with Hilleberg.

If you're on a budget, then check out the Mountain HardWear SuperMega-2.
[Linked Image]
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28619
At 2.5#, 3.5 seasons, 2 persons, double-wall, free standing, for $370, it's hard to beat the value. It's a good size for me and my grand-son or dog and some of my gear, or me and all of my gear.

For several years, I used an REI Quarter Dome T-2. I liked it because it has two doors and two vestibules. So It's better for two people and some of their gear. It weighs 4# and costs $240.
[Linked Image]
http://www.rei.com/product/827787/rei-quarter-dome-t2-plus-tent

KC

Originally Posted by Jedi5150
A My 60lb dog, backpack and gear, and me have plenty room not to get claustrophobic.

I'd make Fido pack at least 10 Lbs of that gear, or he doesn't get to sleep in a tent.
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by Jedi5150
A My 60lb dog, backpack and gear, and me have plenty room not to get claustrophobic.

I'd make Fido pack at least 10 Lbs of that gear, or he doesn't get to sleep in a tent.

Haha laugh

A year or two ago and I would have at least made her carry her own kibble. But she's getting a little older now, and I want the trip to be as enjoyable for her as possible. I know, I'm a softy.
Posted By: JRaw Re: 2 man tent recommendation? - 12/02/13
OP: I really like my Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 3, which has room for two and a vestibule on each side, for each occupant. For what you describe the Skyledge 2 would have enough room, and be lighter. I really like having a vestibule and door for each person, but since you will mostly use it solo, you could could with and end-entry design and save even more weight. However, I'm not convinced that the end-entry designs like the BA Seedhouse are as bomber as a two-poles-crossed-in-the-middle design. Just my two cents.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire