Home
Just wanted to pass along a couple of good products for those who like to travel light when they're out and about in some rough country. I'm a minimalist. I don't take a whole lot with me when I'm out there.
First...my Pocket Rocket cook stove made by MSR. It weighs about 3 ounces and uses IsoButane Propane fuel cannisters. It'll boil a liter of water in 3 and 1/2 minutes. Stows away in a small hard plastic case.
Second...my Pinnacle Soloist cook set made by GSI. Everything I need to prepare and eat a meal when I'm out there. Stows away very compactly in its bag.
It's real nice to have a fresh cup of hot chocolate or a good hot meal out there sometimes. These items don't take up much room at all in my pack, and they don't weigh squat.
Two good products that have fit my needs very well.
For me it's a #1 Montbell titanium cooket I just picked up with a cat can stove andca few ounces of alcohol. More then just boiling water and the cat can is switched for triangia.
+1 on the pocket rocket. I use a snowpeak titanium pot and a 7oz MSR frypan, if I need a frypan.
Here's the latest in the race for the lightest canister stove. The Fire Maple FMS 300T at 41 grams. Not that the Pocket Rocket isn't allready pretty light, it weighs 85 grams. I'm not counting every gram and running out to buy the latest. Just an FYI for the super minimalist folks. I can't imagine trying to balance a pot on it.

I do have one of the Fire Maple 116T's,48 grams, looks like it's been rebranded from whatever is was last year. Sold off an old heavy Coleman after a four day trip. Looked over all my gear after that trip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Maple-..._0&hash=item2ec6f3188f#ht_1707wt_926

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Maple-...20W-FMS-116T-/190819863664#ht_5642wt_806

http://www.tenpoundbackpack.com/gear-lists/stoves
Now, I love my Pocket Rocket, but the Snow Peak Light Max is one awesome stove! It is wider then the Pocket Rocket so it is more stable in supporting pots. It does seem to burn Fuel quicker. I do like my Trangia but it is much slower.I find I use my 700 ML Ti pot the most.

I do want to check out a home made alcohol stove like a cat can stove as I really do just boil water lately for dinner and alcohol stoves do that just fine.
I've used a Pocket Rocket and an MSR Ti pot for a few years. Very light, work great.
I used a SP Giga and tiny Montbell Ti post on and off, but was never satisfied with it.

When Jetboil brought out its Sol Ti a few years back, I got one and haven't looked back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

'nuf said.

KC

Add my vote for the Jetboil Sol Ti.

Tom
I like my alcohol stove built by George Carr, it is well made and far better than what I would build - and inexpensive. Plus George is one of the good guys.

Check it out: Backpackinglight.com
I like the soto windmaster. Soto WindMaster
I love my basic Snow Peak stove (manual light) the Snow Peak Mini-Ti Solo set.
I used a pocket rocket for years, but came to realize (by watching my buddy boil water much faster, every single time) that the jetboil is just way more efficient, especially if there is any wind. I love my sol Ti now.
I never looked at a Jetboil and thought "minimalist." Until I used one.

Jetboil Ti for me.

Travis
Originally Posted by SpenceG
I used a pocket rocket for years, but came to realize (by watching my buddy boil water much faster, every single time) that the jetboil is just way more efficient, especially if there is any wind. I love my sol Ti now.

The MSR Windpro spanks both of them, especially in the wind, which might have something to do with the fact it is named the Windpro. Also, it'll work in MUCH colder weather (the new version with the inverted cannister).
Take a Knee, or Take a Schitt,

How come is it that no matter where I go to read the forum, with regards to just about anything discussed, that before to long you chirp in telling everyone they don't know crap and you are the authority on everything. You either own REI, or have owned everything made for the outdoors, or your just full of *#^+�t.

It takes a lot to get me riled up to post, instead of just enjoying the campfire, but you sir are an annoying know-it-all!
Originally Posted by DZG

How come is it that no matter where I go to read the forum, with regards to just about anything discussed, that before to long you chirp in telling everyone they don't know crap and you are the authority on everything. You either own REI, or have owned everything made for the outdoors, or your just full of *#^+�t.

It takes a lot to get me riled up to post, instead of just enjoying the campfire, but you sir are an annoying know-it-all!

He's mastered everything.

Except Photobucket and the digital camera.

Travis
Hey, what happened to Wally?
I've been really happy with the SOTO OD-R1 and MSR Ti Kettle combo the last couple of years. Light and simple.

I've really wanted to try the Jetboil Ti out, but just to many stories of the pot's 'flux ring thingy' coming undone.
Originally Posted by DZG

I've owned a LOT of hiking kit, and I was always good at figuring out when/how stuff/people etc was/were [bleep] up, which is one reason I'm still alive. Annoying? Probably. Know-it-all? I've consistently scored 2+ standard deviations above normal on damn near every sort of psychometric evaluation I've ever sat for.

BTW, anything I've written about stoves would take about 20min of google-fu on Backpacking Light to confirm. I've read a lot and hiked the AT in the Southeast and talked to numerous hikers at shelters about their stoves. Current Jetboils are a vast improvement over the originals, they fell out of favor PDQ on the AT until they got the bugs worked out. They still suffer from not being able to use a windscreen, just like any other vertical butane stove. The JB Helios I've never used and don't know anyone who has, the people I know look at weights before they buy stuff.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I've owned a LOT of hiking kit, and I was always good at figuring out when/how stuff/people etc was/were [bleep] up, which is one reason I'm still alive. Annoying? Probably. Know-it-all? I've consistently scored 2+ standard deviations above normal on damn near every sort of psychometric evaluation I've ever sat for.

BTW, anything I've written about stoves would take about 20min of google-fu on Backpacking Light to confirm. I've read a lot and hiked the AT in the Southeast and talked to numerous hikers at shelters about their stoves. Current Jetboils are a vast improvement over the originals, they fell out of favor PDQ on the AT until they got the bugs worked out. They still suffer from not being able to use a windscreen, just like any other vertical butane stove. The JB Helios I've never used and don't know anyone who has, the people I know look at weights before they buy stuff.

Man, asking questions in the southeast and reading online.

It's no wonder you never have pics. Just do us all a favor and STFU. It's obvious you don't do schit.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

It's no wonder you never have pics. Just do us all a favor and STFU.

I'm stayin' JUST FOR YOU ICE! GFY.
Travis lives in Montana, a notoriously windy state with some high elevations. I'd trust, and like to hear his review of the jetboil sol ti. My interest is peaked.
Originally Posted by Brad
I used a SP Giga and tiny Montbell Ti post on and off, but was never satisfied with it.

When Jetboil brought out its Sol Ti a few years back, I got one and haven't looked back.

How does it work for you in wind and at elevation?

I've been eyeing these for a bit
I ended up with the SUMO Ti due to my son going with me a lot now.

I've used the Gigas and the alcohol stoves and the wood stoves and Pocket Rocket and the Whisperlite and probably some more and they all had something in common. They were either something I didn't want to [bleep] with because it was cold, wet and I was tired, or they were a bit more unstable than I care for. Also, grabbing the pots required a towel, rag, or pliers.

With the Jetboil you simply boil the water, and grab the pot. I don't know how it boils water as fast as it does, nor do I care. It makes a hot meal muy pronto and it is not heavy.

I have also used it in floored tents with next to zero concern and that is something I can't say for some of the other stoves I've used.

The need for a windscreen appears to be nonexistent at this point and I can tell you if you're using a Windpro style stove you'll find using a windscreen is about as much fun as sticking a fork in your eye when the wind is approaching 30mph.

While I would not consider myself an uber-experienced backpacker I would say that anybody making claims the Windpro "will spank" a Jetboil, obviously has likely never used a Jetboil and certainly has not owned one.

I've used mine at 10,000ish and had zero problems.

Travis

I'm stayin' JUST FOR YOU ICE! GFY.

Sure thing, chubs.

Travis
My kid has been joining me as well. Stability is an important thing to me so the part about using it in the tent without worry is a major selling point for me.

Thanks for the review and GFY
If stability and children are involved, avoid alcohol stoves. Cause when you play kick the can with one of those [bleep] it gets pretty exciting.

Happy New Year and GFY.

Travis

My pocket rocket hasn't let me down yet, and I still think it's cooler than [bleep] that I can cook a can of chunky soup whilst tucked in glassing alpine. I'm sure somebody has made a better version of it, but until mine fails, I'll probably keep rolling with what I have.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
My kid has been joining me as well. Stability is an important thing to me so the part about using it in the tent without worry is a major selling point for me.

Using any stove in a floored nylon tent ain't overly bright. That is what they make vestibules for, and also a stove with a lower profile is advantageous in a vestibule to keep the burner away from the sidewall. I would light it outside, in the rain if necessary and bring inside anyway. I use a hammock with a tarp so I just sit my fat azz on my hammock and place my stove on the ground with no worries.

As for alcohol stoves, the Caldera Cone is quite stable, but in 30 mph winds the whole thing could blow over in the wind as it weighs just about nothing. I have yet to see a "kick-proof" stove, alcohol or otherwise. Alcohol stoves work great for shorter trips if you don't actually cook, IE freezer-bag/water boiling is all you do. Two folks need two alcohol stoves. A father-son is better off with a cannister setup.
Whatchew talkin' bout, Willis?

I scored 3 standard deviations above the norm, but I never sat for a test. Didn't take me long enough to sit down.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Using any stove in a floored nylon tent ain't overly bright. That is what they make vestibules for, and also a stove with a lower profile is advantageous in a vestibule to keep the burner away from the sidewall. I would light it outside, in the rain if necessary and bring inside anyway. I use a hammock with a tarp so I just sit my fat azz on my hammock and place my stove on the ground with no worries.

As for alcohol stoves, the Caldera Cone is quite stable, but in 30 mph winds the whole thing could blow over in the wind as it weighs just about nothing. I have yet to see a "kick-proof" stove, alcohol or otherwise. Alcohol stoves work great for shorter trips if you don't actually cook, IE freezer-bag/water boiling is all you do. Two folks need two alcohol stoves. A father-son is better off with a cannister setup.

Sometimes one doesn't have a choice but to boil in the tent TAK. And when you find yourself in those situations, the JetBoil can really shine. But of course when you're in weather that calls for a hammock, you know you're really in some rough country.

And you are correct TAK, there are no kick-proof stoves. However an alcohol stove turns into a ball of flame, where as a Jetboil turns into a can of spilled water.

Hope this helps.

Travis
Don't they use hammocks on Everest?
Originally Posted by smokepole

They work best at or above tree line.

Travis

No, but they do in Surinam. You ever been there Willis?
I'm confused, amazed and thankful .........
How it is that someone who has continually interjected into a lot of threads his proclamation of well above the norm psychometric test results ad nauseam could have spent so much money on so so much gear only to come here of all places and regale me of this extraordinarily vast first hand expertise. What are the freaking odds? I have to be the luckiest dumb schit neophyte there is. Not to be a contrarian and though it may seem counter intuitive, I would also have also thought his initial gear shopping prowess would have also been above the norm as well. I'm only left with 2 conclusions, he's either a Good Samaritan, or full of it.

On an aside, Travis turned me on to the Jetboil awhile back and it's a rocking little bastid for a self contained kit to boil water in. I'm also sporting a titanium 5.4 oz. Emberlit now that goes as a companion stove in my pack on long trips when I want/need to cook or use something different.

Originally Posted by BlackDog1

On an aside, Travis turned me on to the Jetboil awhile back and it's a rocking little bastid for a self contained kit to boil water in. I'm also sporting a titanium 5.4 oz. Emberlit now that goes as a companion stove in my pack on long trips when I want/need to cook or use something different.

Lemme see if I have this one right. I'm a dumbschidt who buys all manner of hiking kit I don't need, but you've just bought a jetboil, on the advice of a novice hiker, and also another spendy Ti stove, "just in case", and you're a smart mofo? Right? Got it.
Never said I was a smart mofo or that you are a dumb schit though you are doing a sporting job of proving the later. I also didn't say that the Emberlit was a "just in case" stove either. Reading comprehension apparently isn't your strong suit is it ?
Like a number of others I'm just getting tired of you telling other people their gear is crap and you have all the answers whilst shining your azz in a hammock and spending most of your days here typing about all your exploits sans the pics.
I wonder how you have managed to find the time to extensively field test such a broad expanse of kit all the while hourly regaling everyone of your vast experience.
You'd best stay in your warm winter clime next to your computer, you wouldn't last long here
TAK,

It is very obvious you do nothing outdoors.

Travis

Nope, but I didn't see any in Iraq. You ever been there, Carlton?

Nope, but I didn't see any in Iraq. You ever been there, Carlton?

Don't know Carlton, or if'n he's ever been to I-raq, but I sure as hell have.
See any hammocks?

You'd best stay in your warm winter clime next to your computer, you wouldn't last long here

Minus 54F azzwipe, on snowshoes, all night long on a patrol, walking up the Pipeline, in Korean-era cold weather gear. BTDT, You?

Minus 54F azzwipe, on snowshoes, all night long on a patrol, walking up the Pipeline, in Korean-era cold weather gear. BTDT, You?

How did the Windpro hold up?

Travis

How did the Windpro hold up?

Travis

Damn you're dumb. The SVEA 123 did just great actually, still have that one.
See any hammocks?

As a matter of fact, yes.
Which Jetboil do I want if I'm cooking Mountain Houses for me, and me only? My friends have to tend to themselves. The Flash looks pretty sweet.

Tanner
The SOL.

The SOL Ti will save you 2oz's and cost you $30.00 more.

Travis

Damn you're dumb. The SVEA 123 did just great actually, still have that one.

That's a neat pretend story TAK. Thanks for sharing.

You can go finish your donut now.

Travis
Originally Posted by Tanner
Which Jetboil do I want if I'm cooking Mountain Houses for me, and me only? My friends have to tend to themselves. The Flash looks pretty sweet.

Tanner
Though I hear the new ones are better, throw a bic lighter in the cup in case the ignitor craps out. Easy, cheap, light insurance. Plus, being in college you should be carrying one anyway. Chicks that smoke will put most anything in their pieholes...
I told you before you need to bend the thingy to get the proper arc.

The Midwest is making you dumb.

Travis
Pointer, that is some of the most useful advice in this thread.

Travis

What thingy are you referring to that needs bent? I got a Jetboil Sol for Xmas.

The wire part of the igniter can be "tuned" for optimum sparkage.

The original jetboil igniter was huge and could get bent/bumped, requiring adjustment. Have had no issues with my flash.

Travis
I haven't had to use it since you told me. I leave the gear fondling to TAK. But, I'll get it out tomorrow to prove you right! That said, I'd still carry a bic. It's kinda like double wrapping my junk...

Yes, the Midwest is making me dumb...and fatter and lazier.
light done light....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by cwh2
The wire part of the igniter can be "tuned" for optimum sparkage.

The original jetboil igniter was huge and could get bent/bumped, requiring adjustment. Have had no issues with my flash.

Yesh.

Travis
Originally Posted by pointer
I haven't had to use it since you told me. I leave the gear fondling to TAK. But, I'll get it out tomorrow to prove you right! That said, I'd still carry a bic. It's kinda like double wrapping my junk...

Yes, the Midwest is making me dumb...and fatter and lazier.

Well next time your dumb midwestern ass breaks out your gear, bend the thingy so the arc goes directly to the hole (haha! hole...) the gas comes out of.

It will light up like TAK's eyes after a fella buys him a drink.

Travis
Easy on the Midwest/Southeast bashing! Some of us use our kit!

It will light up like TAK's eyes after a fella buys him a drink.

Travis

Schit Travis, I don't know if I can handle another harrowing episode of Sgt. Preston's daring do today..............

Originally Posted by Biathlonman

pointer (mistakenly) moved to the midwest but he does use his kit.

TAK is a moron.

I like the SE.

Travis

Schit Travis, I don't know if I can handle another harrowing episode of Sgt. Preston's daring do today..............

Yeah? Well go march the pipeline in South Korea with a bag full of nails and no shoes except snowshoes after you killed everyone in Iraq with nothing but an MSR Windpro and get back to me.

Travis

PS- I'm sleeping in a hammock during this hailstorm posting off from my phone that is being run by a 1000WT Honda Inverter that I packed in a backpack that isn't your backpack because your backpack sucks.

PSS- I don't own a camera.
Crap,.......I just blew coffee all over myself. I know its risky taking advice from a "Novice" but do you think the wind pro will dry my shirt out before hypothermia sets in or am I screwed ???????
Thanks in advance........
Crap,.......I just blew coffee all over myself. I know its risky taking advice from a "Novice" but do you think the wind pro will dry my shirt out before hypothermia sets in or am I screwed ???????
Thanks in advance........

I only know that you and I will have a Happy New Year.

Merry Christmas and GFY.

Travis
Bashing aside on TAK, the WindPro is a performer. Of course I am a big fan of the micro rocket as well. Carry on.
Happy New Year Miller.

Travis
Another +1 for the Jetboil Sol.

Awesome kit.

Note: Not recommended for use in a hammock...
Originally Posted by Biathlonman

pointer (mistakenly) moved to the midwest but he does use his kit.

TAK is a moron.

I like the SE.

Travis
The fact that both of you are using the term "kit" to describe the stoves is grounds for bashing! Now I kinda dug this Kit!
[Linked Image] I played HS and Am Legion ball at two of the fields in that movie.

"Your Head. It's that lump 3ft above your ass!"
How does the Jet Boil do in cold weather? Like 20 degrees or lower?
Below 20F, you'd be pushing the limit of the Jetboil. Warming the canisters does help though.
I suppose I've had 20 or so stoves since I got my first Hank Roberts in 1974. There were surprisingly decent stoves available back then.

More recently, having done the Ti-Pot/Giga/Pocket Rocket thing (neither of which impressed me much), I settled on a Jetboil Ti 2.5 years ago. Uses about half the fuel of the Giga, while being essentially as light (and lighter on longer trips because of its fuel-miserlyness).

The Jetboil Ti is one of the most impressive pieces of gear (or "kit" if you're from British Empire, which I ain't) I've seen in years. Truly revolutionary.

The older Jetboil (got my first of those in 2006) worked "ok" down to 15-20F and the newer jetboil works better down to around 5-10F.

Below that a good White Gas stove makes the most sense. Hard to beat an MSR International or old Svea 123 there...

Fun thread.

My backpack is a Dodge Durango. My hikes are only long enough that the Durango is still in sight. Nobody has shot at me in 40 years. The only times I leave the US I'm on a cruise ship. And my tent is a La Quinta.

But when I go fishing, I take along my Swedish military cook kit with its Trangia/SVEA stove, an MRE or two, and a nice big stainless steel cup for hot drinks.

I ain't givin' any advice.
I've consistently scored 2+ standard deviations above normal on damn near every sort of psychometric evaluation I've ever sat for.

If it wasn't for your low scores in modesty, you might have reached 3+ on your aggregate.

Question about the Jetboil.

Does it JUST boil water? 90% of what I do is boil water but sometimes I actually simmer something in a pot of water and even use an MSR fry pan to make pancakes, etc.

I'm thinking the Jetboil would not work for that, and will only boil water albeit very efficiently, correct?

I'm mostly content with my PocketRocket and in fact, selling my Whisperlite as I never use it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...417725/MSR_Whisperlite_stove#Post8417725
I have 2 Svea stoves that I used for many years. However, since I got llamas I've switched to these single burner Coleman stoves. No, they're not for the minimalist to say the least. However, the propane works at any temp and any elevation. They're MUCH easier to light than a Svea and they really crank out the heat, enough that they make a pretty good tent heater, too. The only drawback is that they're too top heavy. I should have got one that sits flat with the bottle next to it.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by snubbie

Does it JUST boil water? 90% of what I do is boil water but sometimes I actually simmer something in a pot of water and even use an MSR fry pan to make pancakes, etc.

I'm thinking the Jetboil would not work for that, and will only boil water albeit very efficiently, correct?

I'm mostly content with my PocketRocket and in fact, selling my Whisperlite as I never use it.

There is a fry pan and larger sauce type pan you can get. Can't say I wanna schelp it on a back pack trip though. I've cooked rice, eggs, bacon in the larger pan. You have to tend to the heat and it does OK. If you really want to be able to simmer, the gig is a SnoPeak 1400 with Dragonfly stove. If you monkey with the stove just right, it will fit fine in the 1400 set.

You can make a venison stew or boil up some oatmeal in a Jetboil. But then you'd have to clean it.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

You can make a venison stew or boil up some oatmeal in a Jetboil. But then you'd have to clean it.
Yep! If using the regular Jetboil pot, you have to constantly stir it or it will burn in a hurry! Mine still carries the results of trying to cook some Dinty Moore in mine on it's maiden voyage... Since then I just relegate mine to boiling water. I'd like to get/try one of the larger pans sometime though.
I've consistently scored 2+ standard deviations above normal on damn near every sort of psychometric evaluation I've ever sat for.

And why did you have psychometric evaluation in the first place ? That might answer a lot of questions on what you post.

You can remove the Jetboil pot and use it like a regular burner/stove. It works well in that configuration too.

Travis

You can remove the Jetboil pot and use it like a regular burner/stove. It works well in that configuration too.

Travis

Ah, I did not know this.
I know you got yours a while back and are totally sold on it. But I didn't know the pot could be removed so it could be used like a conventional stove.
There may be a need to check out the local outdoor store or REI this weekend!

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, when I got it I had to stare at that extra piece and scratch my balls for awhile. Then the light went on...

What we're all used to seeing:
[Linked Image]

Without pot:
[Linked Image]

With the stove adapter (it was included with mine, not sure about other models)
[Linked Image]

I can use it with my regular titanium mugs with the adapter.

Travis
Nice.

Who has the cheapest Jetboil fuel canisters? Preferably somewhere online.
No idea. I just buy them from Big R or Wal-Mart.

Scheels always has a pile of them as well.

Travis
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Nice.

"Jetboil Fuel" is just an isobutane/propane mix (80-20)... I use Snowpeak brand because it's a bit cheaper than the Jetboil branded stuff.

Deflave has an even better idea going to Walmart, but I'll pay $0.50 more at REI to avoid Walmart. laugh
Schit, if we had an REI I would too.

Travis
I hear you...
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Nice.

"Jetboil Fuel" is just an isobutane/propane mix (80-20)... I use Snowpeak brand because it's a bit cheaper than the Jetboil branded stuff.

Deflave has an even better idea going to Walmart, but I'll pay $0.50 more at REI to avoid Walmart. laugh
I'll take the $1 savings and bank on the entertainment factor!

Especially along the Mason Dixon Line!
And right around the 1st of the month when everybody "done got paid again."

People watching at its finest. Or lowest, depending how you view it.

Travis
Do most of you prefer propane canister over the liquid fuel?
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter

The isobutene/propane is the way to go IMO.

I do have an MSR Whisperlite that is a bad ass stove. But quite frankly, if it's so cold out that I need a white gas stove, I'm probably not backpacking.

Travis
the isobutane canisters are not created equal. wally world sells Coleman canisters here and the Coleman may let you down in cold weather.

as far as propane over liquid goes, there is a time and place for each.

i have 1 gallon [4 lb] and 2 gallon [10 lb] refillable propane cylinders but they dont get used often.
And right around the 1st of the month when everybody "done got paid again."

People watching at its finest. Or lowest, depending how you view it.

Travis
Remember where I live. As ingwe so accurately put it, we have to make up things to do for 'fun'. Therefore my vote is for finest, unless it's fair season! Carnies + Wal-Marties = a big bump in my self image!
If I could only have one stove, it would be liquid. For most uses, or at least three season stuff, the IsoPro are much nicer to use. IMO.
I used a multi-fuel Coleman stove for quite some time.

Worked well for traveling, as I used av-gas a time or two. It took a lot of maintenance, though.

I use an Iso/propane stove for 90% of what I do (Jetboil).

For cold weather I go with White Gas (Coleman Fuel) in either my old Svea 123 or MSR Whisperlite International.
I have 2 Svea stoves that use liquid. They really crank out the heat in any conditions but they're a nuisance to light. I found that carrying a bottle of lighter fluid for priming helps a lot for getting them going. The newer ones have pumps to get the priming fuel out.
I've never found the Svea a nuisance to light... I carry an eyedropper with the stove, suck out a bit of fuel from the tank, douse the "spirit cup" and light it up... it will roar to life in any condition.

I got mine in 1975 and it's still going strong.
I've yet to hear a horse complain about the weight of a Coleman 2-burner.
Originally Posted by ironbender
I've yet to hear a horse complain about the weight of a Coleman 2-burner.

Yeah, I've got one of those too... mine is circa 1964. Works great. I don't have a horse to carry it, so don't use it.
Love a Coleman 2 burner. Hate horses.

Travis
Got to have enough horses too. One trip my son and I did we had to go pocket rocket and 2-man tent!
I've never found the Svea a nuisance to light... I carry an eyedropper with the stove, suck out a bit of fuel from the tank, douse the "spirit cup" and light it up... it will roar to life in any condition.

I got mine in 1975 and it's still going strong.

IIRC, I bought my SVEA in 76. I light mine as you describe. I found a plastic eyedropper made by Nalgene to fill the cup with. Filling the fuel tank was problematic until I found a little device the fits under the cap on a Sigg bottle that has a finger hole to allow you to control the pour of fuel from the bottle. I used mine all over Denali park, summer and winter (skiing up the park road) and parachuted with it into Bavaria. It never let me down.
I was just contemplating a HALO drop to my next trailhead.

Thanks TAK.

Travis
I was just contemplating a HALO drop to my next trailhead.

You should give that a whirl. Make sure to do it at night.
Of course. Everybody starts their hikes at night time. It's just common sense.

Travis
Personally, I prefer river landings for my night drops, but you've gotta have the right pack for that.

On another note, I did break down and order a jetboil yesterday.
Personally, I prefer river landings for my night drops, but you've gotta have the right pack for that.

Be sure to include scaling a cliff or two as well, and ford a big river while you're at it.
Of course I will, what would you expect? And right after that, I'll kill and skin a griz (pilgrim), and then break out my jetboil and have breakfast.
If you are hungry after skinning a griz, you are a better man than I. Let us know how the jetboil fares after giving it the TAK test!
Let us know how the jetboil fares after giving it the TAK test!

That would be to set that stove up in front of a big-ass fan and see how it performs.
...After jumping out of a plane, swimming a river, sharpening a knife with a rock, and snowshoeing at -54.... all before breakfast.
...After jumping out of a plane, swimming a river, sharpening a knife with a rock, and snowshoeing at -54.... all before breakfast.

No one is that good. All that would surely take until 9AM
[quote=cwh2]

That would be to set that stove up in front of a big-ass fan and see how it performs.

I'd like to test my new Jetboil when it gets here. Can I borrow your big ass-fan for that?

I don't have a big ass, so I never got one of the fans.

I don't have a big ass, so I never got one of the fans.

That means you ain't squatting enough.
Those girls have some impressive biceps.
TAK,

The only thing gayer than a bunch of transvestites measuring their ass size, is you.

Squat that.

Laughin'...

Travis
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I didn't know they were girls.

Travis

Travis
I guess they're guys with funny looking pecs. grin

Travis

That figures. Real women really do scare a lot of "men".
Been turned down by a lot of fellas have ya'?

Travis
Take_a_knee's #1 tip for dating men:

The bigger and blacker, the better.

Travis
Ha! I bet his opening line is similar to the scene in Boogie Nights when Dirk asks the other actor, "How much do you bench?"!

Travis
Ha! I bet his opening line is similar to the scene in Boogie Nights when Dirk asks the other actor, "How much do you bench?"!

Just goes to show you ain't got a clue 'cause bench pressing is what silly boys do when they think they are working out.

Just goes to show you ain't got a clue 'cause bench pressing is what silly boys do when they think they are working out.

What do you and the other girls do?

Travis

Travis

Vagenius, I never said I bench much, I was quoting a phoucing movie! It's also called for at times from Mr. Glassman! Figured you'd appreciate my attempt at your type of name dropping...

Travis

Vagenius, I never said I bench much, I was quoting a phoucing movie! It's also called for at times from Mr. Glassman! Figured you'd appreciate my attempt at your type of name dropping...

I don't see many movies. I have seen Mary Poppins about fifty times though, unfortunately.

Travis
Which one do you think he is?
[Linked Image]
Laughin' my ass off...

Travis

Travis
[Linked Image]

Damn you're dumb. Crossfitters don't do curls....ever.

Travis
[Linked Image]

Damn you're dumb. Crossfitters don't do curls....ever.
Since you claim to be a Crossfitter and therefore don't do curls, I take that as an admission you're the rear spotter? Thanks for confirming that for me.

PS- Good avoidance of admitting that Mr. Glassman has folks bench press from time to time.

PS- Good avoidance of admitting that Mr. Glassman has folks bench press from time to time.

Avoid it? You stated the truth. Yes, that workout comes around every few months, with pullups, no curls....ever.

Travis

You must be kidding. Bench, squat, dead lift, pull-ups, shoulder press are the five best bang for your buck exercises for strength and mass.

Cardio is another matter obviously. I think though that for humping a ruck, I would rather focus on leg strength rather than running mileage.
Originally Posted by conrad101st

Travis

You must be kidding. Bench, squat, dead lift, pull-ups, shoulder press are the five best bang for your buck exercises for strength and mass.

No, I'm not kidding, and neither is Mark Rippetoe, who probably knows more about the training of, and the anatomy involved, of the major lifts than anyone alive. He states that a general athlete should do at least three sets of strict shoulder presses for every set of bench presses. Obviously, if you intend to compete as a powerlifter, you have to bench.

The bench press gets emphasized because of football, as a lineman can actually apply the strength gains from it, few other athletes can. The "posterior chain" is what matters most, and the other lifts you mentioned work that, but not the bench.

I've lost count of the ODA "farm animals" who've come to me complaining of shoulder pain. Guys in their thirties who've already got a "gorilla hunch" posture, with the attending thoracic kyphosis (and back pain) and of course, shoulder pain, as their posterior pecs are so tight (they insert on the coracoid process of the scapula) pulling the scapula forward/anteriorly. Also the anterior pecs are typically so short this pulls on the humerus and shifts the humeral head anteriorly. This can result in rotator cuff issues and labral tears.

You do all the major lifts, in the proper amounts, like Rippetoe advises, and most of this is quite unlikely. Problem is, few do, 'cause the bench is "easy".
Wow use of big, clinical words. And another name drop. Someone will think you're smart.

PS- Not all bench work outs from Mr. Glassman involve pullups.

PPS- Never mentioned curls. Just wanted to show your dedication as a "spotter".
Wow use of big, clinical words. And another name drop. Someone will think you're smart.

PS- Not all bench work outs from Mr. Glassman involve pullups.

PPS- Never mentioned curls. Just wanted to show your dedication as a "spotter".

You are right, there are TWO of them. One comes up every 6 or 8 weeks. So, now I'm an asswipe for bothering to actually learn anatomy? GFY.
No your just an asswipe, regardless of any learning. Please use a big word in your response to show me how smart you are? Pretty please?

No one is that good. All that would surely take until 9AM

I think that commercial is responsible for the Army's current recruiting troubles.

Have a great 2014 TAK.

The rest of you, just try to keep up. smile
I certainly plan to have a good year CW, and to you as well.
© 24hourcampfire