Home
Just like the title states. Is there anything out there? I know there would be a weight penalty but I do beleive that would be a very versatile shelter. What are your guys thoughts on the matter?

Warren
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "freestanding stove?"

Do you mean a packable wood stove, with stovepipe?
I think he means a freestanding tent the can handle a stove.
Please pardon my grammar.. Dave S you hit the nail on the head.

Warren
Not exactly freestanding but that B A Scout would be nice configuration with a stove....downside, its made by BA
So Warren, you don't consider a tent with a center pole and stakes to be freestanding?

The only "freestanding" tents I'm familiar with have built-in floors, and that's an obvious problem for woodstoves.
You will be able to use the new BT2 without a pole in the center as an option. It isn't free standing, but it removes the pole from the center. Wit ha stove, you will loose some of the flexible pitching capabilities, and it will be officially a one person

Seek Outside Beyond TImberline 2 Person Tent
Also try Kifaru.net
If your'e talking tipi-style tents with center poles and stakes, there are any number of options. Kifaru, Seek Outside, Ti Goat, and even retro-fitted GoLite SL tents.
I am thinking more along the lines of a dome tent or even something like the BA Wyoming Trail but with only a fly and poles with some type of webbing or cord linking the pole points at ground level which would eliminate the need for the bathtub floor. Living in the Pacific Northwest has always made me a little bit worried about heavy snow load and tipi style tents.

Just a thought.......

Warren
Arctic Oven, but a little heavy to pack!
I have an SL5 and it sags a bit in the rain.

There are several free-standing tents that can be pitched with just the fly and no body.

Or, how about a free-standing tent with a big vestibule and just put the stove in the vestibule? You'd only need one stove-jack in the fly and the body wouldn't need to be modded. The body/bath-tub should be a little warmer than just a thin fly when the stove goes out. Plus bug protection and waterproof floor.

I'd want a another door to exit in case there was a problem with the stove, or a knife handy crazy
I've often wondered if a Hilleberg GT vestibule could handle a stove jack?
Don
Other than maybe ease of setup and maybe a slightly lighter tent, why is a free-standing tent important; especially if you will be using a stove? Once you add a stove jack the weight increases and personally, I want my tent well staked out if I'm using a stove.
I've got a pic of my old SL5 after almost a foot of snow during the early archery season in U76 in Colo at 10,730'

The footprint creeps in on you a little but it seems to me those tipis take snow pretty good. Now the condensation inside with all of that snow- even with the stove- was a nightmare....
I know some folks that modified Golite Utopias to take stoves. Pretty slick solo heated shelters that give you all of the floor space to work with. Sadly, those are long discontinued.
Some of the big agnes tents will pitch the frame into groundsheet with just the fly.....would have to cut the groundsheet, but this could be an option.....Never had a snow load problem with any of my tipis though....just gotta clean around the perimeter every 6" or so of snow.
MSR Backcountry Barn has a removable floor and would take a woodstove, but its 14 lbs. I have the previous version, MSR Boardroom, I've seriously considered adding a stove jack, I own too many other tipis though. The boardroom is a stout tent. Not sure about this recent incarnation.

[Linked Image]
I wonder what that would weigh if made of silnylon.
© 24hourcampfire