Home
Posted By: whambasted Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/03/15
flat 8 sided with stove jack and door and it turns into a six sided tipi with vestibule or regular tipi without vestibule.

concept date of Oct. 2014

[Linked Image]
Can we see it set up? Hard to determine much in a ball!
Posted By: CLB Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/03/15
Details might be interesting...
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/03/15
so this thing is a multy purpose tarp that can be set up numerous ways. it is like 20 below out right now and i am waiting for it to warm up a little to set it up. it will be worth the wait or your money back
[Linked Image]

i will explain better when i get it standing in the six panel tipi and vestibule tipi pitches.

2 can be linked together through the vestibules also. like a double igloo.
second one will be red and white alternating... the crusader tarp
that should piss the muzzy's off
Posted By: Shag Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/04/15
Weight?
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/04/15
weight depends on the fabric you choose. this one weighs a little over a pound and a half. i will have to get it on a gram/ounce scale and report. it is not very heavy
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/04/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/05/15
first time set up. it was -10 out and i was freezing and it took me roughly 10 minutes but it was a fumble fest and the pitch is not ideal but you will get the jist.
when i have the second one done, i will take more time and hopefully it won't be so fracking cold.

[Linked Image]
nothing to be critical about??
i need a good argument this morning to get me going for the week. wait till you see my 3 other protos....
completely functional as a 3 dimensional shelter but with the advantage of it also being a flat tarp for less aggressive weather. the stove jack allows for the use of one of our small woodstoves inside the tipi.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/05/15
whambasted, you are a gifted inventor who needs a marketer. wink grin

re marketing: the video pics don't show enough about the vestibule for me understand how it works or how much space it adds, if any. (I ran it with the sound off.) Give us a still pic or two taken from the vestibule side, maybe one from inside showing the vestibule.

The mini tipi has appealing weight but appears to have minimal useable floor space, especially for those of us in wet country where it is an axiom not to ever let sleeping bag etc. touch a side wall or ceiling.

I LIKE the flat tarp option. There are times when there is NO spot that fits any pre-determined tent footprint. I have designed (though not built) a flat tarp that converts into a partly or fully enclosed floorless shelter.

once i get the red and white one done, i will make a better vid.
it was very cold
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/16/15
2 new camo patterns for the crusader tarp...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/18/15
Would like to see one of your 6 man tents in camo if you have any pics.
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/18/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
i have been asked about snow loads a lot recently.
i have the solution for tents that will not support a snow load. much testing is still required but by running paracord in the seam (i now do this on all of my lightweight ripstop and silnylon tents) i can increase snow load strength and support by a huge amount. testing is still underway but the seams i offer can now be tensioned so tight, that sagging is basically a non issue. photos and videos to follow shortly.

i did this mod because it seemed like the thing to do. it will increase the weight of the tent but by only a pound or so.

and as always, my zipper install on the doors is with the teeth to the inside of the tent to prevent ice and snow jamming.
and to all of you that have been so supportive and caring (Kevin included... thanks brother)

much obliged and Gods Mercy, Love and Blessings to you..

to all of you who crap rosepetals and do no wrong, well.......
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/18/15
You are welcome wham. Not to step on your thread, but I have done a ton of work on snow loads. FWIW steeper angles / strong poles / slick fabric and a place for snow to accumulate go a long ways, but it sounds like you have your own ways. Lots of ways to accomplish things
i just really like the way a tent looks when it is covered in snow... and when it can support a ton of snow then you know that you have a tent that is worth it's salt. my center poles will support a lot of weight and i have literally been under enough snow that the pole was deflected more than 8 inches from center.

if the pole fails, it is easy to fix but none of my high end canopies have ever come apart under snow.
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 01/19/15
the crusader tarp is going onto retail shelves hopefully by hunting season and i will offer it in 2 camo patterns and 2 solid colors. there will be a full demo vid at the display and i will see you guys at the shows this year or early next
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 02/10/15
the crusader tarp in proper colors

[Linked Image]
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 02/11/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pointer Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 02/12/15
Almost hate to say it, but I dig the colors!
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 02/12/15
It looks a lot like an old Mountain Smith tipi I had, color wise. Pretty sharp actually.
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 02/12/15
i can build it any color or camo... the design itself is pure. geometry in motion and sets up in ways i haven't even tried to figure out yet.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 02/12/15
That's a really nice design. Well done!
Originally Posted by 4ager
That's a really nice design. Well done!

Thanks 4ager smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UKdave Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 02/13/15
Originally Posted by whambasted
the crusader tarp in proper colors

[Linked Image]

As an Englishman, thats the best Ive seen so far!! Well done
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 02/13/15
Thanks.... hard to go wrong with the cross
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 02/17/15
if you are in cody, wyo. on the 1st and 2nd of May, i will be at the cody outdoors show....it coincides with the park opening....FYI and you can see the crap i'm turning out....
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 03/12/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 03/23/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tanner Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by whambasted
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What's this shelter weigh, and how would 2 dudes with gear fit in it? I really like the look of that.

Tanner
Posted By: whambasted Re: Crusader tarp / tipi - 03/23/15
i can build them out of 30 d. silnylon at 1.5 lbs.... all the way up to 500 d. cordura at 4.5 lbs....
it is a very good 2 man shelter with a stove even.

cuben would come in at less than a lb.

weights are for the canopy only in a bag.
© 24hourcampfire