Home
Looking to purchase a quality bag, but not willing to spend $500. I'm a big guy, 6'3" 260 pounds. Will be a backpacking bag so looking to keep weight down a bit/ looking at down material. What are some options out there? Thanks in advance!
Posted By: KC Re: Sleeping Bag for Big Guys! - 04/02/15

ddgoose:

Take a look at Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. I own the Aplinlite rated at 20° and I also own the Antelope rated at 5°. Both are real good bags and roomy enough for big guys, very lightweight.

KC

Take a look at a Big Agnes Summit Park 15 Degree bag. Washable Down.
3 lbs 10 oz. Takes a 24-5" by 78" pad. Mine has a Q-Core.

http://www.universalcycles.com has the Right Hand zip on closeout for $257.00

REI wants $349.95 and there's are all Left zip.

Gary

Posted By: pointer Re: Sleeping Bag for Big Guys! - 04/02/15
Big Agnes Classic series in Long would probably work. Just pick your temp rating and fill. I've used a Lost Ranger for a bit over a decade and have been quite happy with it.
Posted By: budman5 Re: Sleeping Bag for Big Guys! - 04/02/15
One other western mountaineering bag you should look at is the terralite.
It's my favorite bag to freezing temp.
Wiggy Glacier Hunter, good down to 15 degrees.
Posted By: ejo Re: Sleeping Bag for Big Guys! - 04/02/15
Big Agnes works well for bigger guys. I'm 6'6" and have no issues fitting into their offerings.
Posted By: 338WIN Re: Sleeping Bag for Big Guys! - 04/03/15
Big Agnes for me, too. 6'7" 250. I found I needed one temp rating colder than normal to be comfortable. Love side sleeping and not ever rolling off the pad. I have the Farwell in long.
Thanks for the help guys.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Sleeping Bag for Big Guys! - 04/06/15
www.Kifaru.net . I am 6'7" and 230. The long wide 20 degree bag is a great choice for under $400. My Big Agnes is nice for truck camping, but saved enough weight on the Kifaru to make it a better hiking bag.
Any reviews/thoughts on Thermarest Antares 20 degree bag? They have one on steepandcheap right now for $200 regular price $350. Not sure what I think about the mummy bag tho.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Sleeping Bag for Big Guys! - 07/24/15
Feathered Friends Penguin is a good comfy bag or big person bag , however it is not sub 200 (more in the 450 - 500 range)
Not sure about the sizing on the Antares. It's hard to go wrong with a down bag from a good brand though if it fits. Check the return policy. If it's good, then try the bag for size.
If you are having trouble with the big bags being big enough, then you might look at a down quilt like Jacks R Better. Depending on fill and quilt size, you should be in the two to three hundred dollar range.
I finally made my choice and ordered the Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 degree. I paired it with the BA Q-Core Pad. Thanks for the input guys. Now for some nights under the stars!
Posted By: pointer Re: Sleeping Bag for Big Guys! - 07/27/15
That's what I've used for the last decade. Good bag!
© 24hourcampfire