Home
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Best Mountain House meal? - 08/21/15
Going backpacking for 4 days with my boys (who hate veggies, including onions). What are the best Mountain House meals, in your opinion?

TIA
Spaghetti with meat sauce, and beef Stroganoff IMO. Not a lot of calories in there so if you can supplement with a little nalgene bottle of olive oil, that's the way to go.
chicken teriyaki.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/21/15
Beef stroganoff and chili (depending on your definition of veggies).
Posted By: TXRam Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/21/15
I like the chili mac - can always take a block or two of cheese to cut up in it too!
Lasagna, chicken breast and mashed potatoes, and chicken a la king. Best breakfast is their granola with blueberries and milk.
Yep, if you eat the chili mac you'll be cuttin the cheese all right...
Posted By: Mtngroan Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/21/15
Beef stew, spaghetti, chili mac, chicken teriyaki.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/21/15
Best and Mountain House, isn't that an oxymoron?:)
Lasagne, or sweet & sour pork
Posted By: rost495 Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/21/15
totally a personal thing as to bests... like any food.

Wife goes for chicken and rice. None of them bother me. But then again most MREs don't bother me either.
Posted By: alukban Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/21/15
sweet and sour chicken and the scrambled eggs with bacon! smile
Posted By: Glynn Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/21/15
They simply get the job done so this year I went by most calories. Mac and cheese at the top with 960, taking some chicken in foil to go with those.

Next is Chicken ala King at 840, boosted by a side of Idahoan instant potatoes (400).

Sweet and sour pork is 725. Taters also.

After that chicken fried rice and beef strogonof at 650 and the others at 575. Beef stew is only 475, no wonder I lost so much weight those trips.

I take olive oil for calories and southwest spice for zest too. That meal before getting in the sack is important after chasing around the hills all day.
Chili Mac. I've crumbled saltines on top of some of the mountain house meals to add some calories.
Beef Stroganoff, Lasagna, Spaghetti in Meat Sauce, Chili Mac.
Chili Mac, Spaghetti in Meat Sauce, Lasagna...

Posted By: Circles Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/23/15
There are other brands out there. Are you deliberately limiting it to Mountain House?

If so, Beef Stroganoff and Lasagna are the two I tolerate the best.
Originally Posted by Circles
There are other brands out there. Are you deliberately limiting it to Mountain House?

If so, Beef Stroganoff and Lasagna are the two I tolerate the best.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Mountain House is the only brand I see in the stores here, which is why I asked about that brand.

I'm taking some fishing gear, so I hope to supplement with some fresh Brook Trout.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/23/15
I would be interested in suggestions for brands that are better than Mountain House.... I order most stuff online anyway.
Posted By: pointer Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/24/15
I've had good luck with Alpine Aire and Backpacker's Pantry. IMO/E no one brand is better than the other. I've had good luck just getting what sounds good and going with it. I do make sure to look at the prep instructions. I don't like the ones where you have to hydrate this, pull it out, then do this one, and mix them together.
Posted By: NTG Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/24/15
Just got back from a trip to the White Clouds. Beef stroganoff is good. The chili mac is good, but you'll have a looong reminder of it. The breakfast skillet is pretty good too. The chicken and rice is better than expected. I took a couple of red pepper packets left over from Dominoes and that helped it out nicely.
Posted By: deflave Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/24/15
That Airelane Aire or WTF it's called has some good stuff. Pepper Steak. Chicken Burrito Bowl. Beef Burrito Bowl.

Travis
Posted By: pointer Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/24/15
Originally Posted by NTG
I took a couple of red pepper packets left over from Dominoes and that helped it out nicely.
Yep! Eat the pizza on the drive there and toss the pepper packets in the food bag.
Posted By: efw Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/24/15
My sons and I love the blueberries & granola as well as eggs & bacon for breakfasts.

The beef stroganoff and teriyaki chicken & rice are great for lunch.

Backpackers pantry has great Thai stuff.
Posted By: lochsa Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/24/15
MH Pasta Primivera. Just don't tell the kids about the veggies in it. Raspberry crumble for dessert.
Can't say what is 'best', but the 2 best are beef strokemeoff and turkey tittierzini.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/24/15
Lasagna is good and as a bonus you get free glue to repair your tent, waders, raft, boots, etc...

Word on the street is that it is good for Supercub fabric, but not yet STC'd for landing gear.
That's no joke on the lasagne. Got to clean that spoon immediately unless you want orange cement on it. :-)

But it sure does taste good.
Posted By: Circles Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/25/15
Backpacker's Pantry is pretty good stuff.

I liked the salmon pesto pasta, supplemented with some olive oil and an extra foil pack of salmon.

The Katmandu curry was also good. My buddy jazzed it up with extra spices. I think it would be a little bland without the help.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/25/15
I like most of the MH options. Not real fond of the "ice cream". The scrambled eggs are surprisingly good.

Most of the Italian-esque options with pasta and tomato sauce are pretty decent. Chili-mac is good. I really hate to say beef strokin'-off is edible. smile Stew is good. The chicken stuff is mostly good.

It's mostly pretty bland. The Italian-esque stuff gets better with a shot of grated parmesan. It's all better with a good dose of pepper and garlic salt, only for some reason, with MH, garlic salt gives me AWFUL acid reflux .. not much else does. Needs to be eaten about 3:30 in the afternoon, then another 2 miles o' hiking done to stomp it into submission.

If Backpackers Pantry is the other brand Sportsman's Warehouse carries, I don't like it. Someone else, Coleman maybe, makes some vegetarian freeze dried stuff. It's pretty nasty. Beans and rice, if the beans don't soak up and soften, means fart-powered buckshot a while later. Not good.
Posted By: Shag Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/25/15
Beef Stogahoff
Posted By: Custom57 Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/25/15
I imported a heap of MH from Campsaver in the US to Australia, for my Sambar hunting expeditions. I haven't had a bad one but really like lasagne and beef stew. Granola and blueberries was good too.

Cheers
Posted By: MarkG Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 08/27/15
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Beef Stroganoff, Lasagna, Spaghetti in Meat Sauce, Chili Mac.

I agree.. in that order as well.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 09/01/15
Beef Stew, Beef Stroganoff, and the eggs and bacon were a surprise. Backpackers Pantry Thai stuff is decent.

Hard to beat old school ramen, unless you don't like to swell up like a tick.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Best Mountain House meal? - 09/02/15
Scrambled eggs served as sort of a soup smile

Personally, there are several meals I find much less expensive (like $1) , that are almost as easy and just as good
© 24hourcampfire