Home
Posted By: Biathlonman Tarptent Protrail - 01/10/16
Anyone tried one yet? I loved my contrail, looks like a better version. Would love to hear user thoughts.
Posted By: Brad Re: Tarptent Protrail - 01/10/16
backpackinglight.com has not been overly kind to the new design. Not great in wind from what I've read.

The new incarnation of the Big Agnes Fly Creek-1 HV (High Volume) would have me more interested than the Protrail. Steeper walls, vertical entry, double wall:

http://www.rei.com/product/895953/big-agnes-fly-creek-hv-1-tent

As to Tarptent, the Moment with solid interior is the only tent they have that has my interest.
Posted By: SLDMTN Re: Tarptent Protrail - 01/11/16
Mine on a pre season goat scout trip. One person plus is accurate for the size rating. Very roomy for me and some gear laying out. My only problem with it so far has been my own fault. I have kicked my trekking pole over during the night and the foot of my bag has gotten condensation on it. Size and weight are great IMO. I ordered the tent extremely last minute, my real estate in the Hilleberg was sold about four days prior to the trip. They shipped it out overnight to AK for a reasonable fee.

I had a BA Fly Creek and took it back after one trip. When you would open the door all the way, water immediately drips down from the rain fly right into the tent floor. Not a huge deal but I don't need any help getting wet. It got really annoying after a soggy trip.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brad Re: Tarptent Protrail - 01/11/16
The link is for the redesigned fly creek with vertical door and steeper interior walls... Personally I've done single wall tarp tents and I'm just not a fan (condensation).
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Tarptent Protrail - 01/11/16
I've thought about the new ProTrail.

I bought a Notch when they first came out .. first year. I thought it'd be perfect. I've come to dislike it considerably. As soon as I figure out what to replace it with, it's going on a hot fire.

Tom
Posted By: Brad Re: Tarptent Protrail - 01/11/16
Tom, tell me about your Notch... Would love to hear more specifics. Thanks
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Tarptent Protrail - 01/12/16
Hi Brad -

Several things.

I never could get the thing set up so that the tub would stay rectangular and flat. Best I could do was throw heavy things in the corners, I could not replicate the pretty pictures on the web site. frown

The high spot is centered, head to foot. This means that laying down, the ceiling is very close overhead and it feels confining. It also means that to sit up, you've got to scoot "south" to the middle of the tent first else you're likely to contact the inside of the tent soaking yourself with whatever condensation has gathered.

The last night I used it there was a pretty decent breeze, not storm winds, just a cold wind coming off the snow and over the little duck-pond sized lake. I pulled the stakes inward and lowered the sides essentially to ground level but there was still too much breeze coming through, got mighty chilly.

Tom
Posted By: Shag Re: Tarptent Protrail - 01/13/16
I've got a TT Moment and I'm prolly not going to sell it. It grew on me fast.
© 24hourcampfire