Home
Posted By: bwinters Mid-late October backpack bag - 05/22/16
I'm headed on a back-back elk hunt this fall. WY in the second week October (10/15 to 10/21) followed by second season in CO (10/22 to 10/28). Looks like I'm setting a base camp and dayhunting in WY but we will be packing in 3-4 miles in CO.

I've used a North Face Snow Shoe 0 degree bag for the past 10 years or so. It has lost some of its warmth or I'm getting older and sleep 'colder'. It has been a great bag. I’ll use it in WY. My issue with it pertains to packing it in my backpack - it compresses but still takes up quite a bit of space in the pack. I’ve thought about not using the compression sack on my bag and simply stuffing it in the pack to let it fill nooks and crannies it normally wouldn’t fill.

I've been leery of down after spending a night in a wet down bag ~ 10-12 years ago in early fall. Temps weren't all that cold (~ 40) but I was not warm. I'm cautious about the new treated down that gives it some degree of water resistance.

I've hunted in below zero temps in second season CO several times in the past 10 years so always lean toward a zero degree bag. I have a 35 degree bag that compresses nicely but am leery about taking it simply because it fits in my pack nice.

What are you guys using for mid-late October elk backpack hunting?
Posted By: Brad Re: Mid-late October backpack bag - 05/22/16
BW, I use a WM Versalite. Love that bag for fall elk hunting. Light, packable, and warm for Oct/Nov hunting.

If you're not interested in dropping that kind of coin, right now a lot of the very good Marmot bags are on sale. I'd look at the Marmot Helium. Many places right now are giving 20% coupons for labor day. You should be able to pick up a Helium for around $320.

No experience with the new treated downs, but I've never needed it either.

Posted By: SNAP Re: Mid-late October backpack bag - 05/22/16
Elk season for us ends in Oct. and Whitetail goes to Nov. 30th. in some areas. This, in BC, where the ambient temps. will go down to 10*F usually at night and sometimes colder.

Depending on YOUR size/build, I would buy a suitable WM bag rated to 0*F, or, a Valandre Shocking Blue, as your main BPing bag.

I usually carry an original Integral Designs North Twin bag for this, it is WET here and I have used for weeklong stints below freezing in remote wilderness horsepacks and 2-3 night backpacks with complete satisfaction.

It is Primaloft, it has been wet, but, I was warm and dry in a tarp shelter.

Don't know about the new down, if I buy another down bag, it will be a WM Badger or Terralite as I have superb custom ID winter down bag.

HTH-if it will fit, Brad's suggestion is spot on.
Originally Posted by bwinters
What are you guys using for mid-late October elk backpack hunting?

I use the Helium Brad mentioned or their zero degree bag, the Couloir if it's colder. I don't think they make that one any more.
Looking at the Helium right now. Sierra TP has the exact back called a Krypton built for them by Marmot. Also found an REI bag in same caliber marked down from $400. The REI has 700 fill treated down, the Helium/Krypton has 800. The REI bag has more fill and a slightly better EN rating but adds 6-8 oz.

Some smoking deals right now.............

Thanks for all the advice.
I've used a Big Agnes Lost Ranger and been well served. Couple times I had to supplement with coats, etc to stay warm enough, but I bet that was due to me not using an insulated pad...
I've got about 5 years on my bag, and I'm starting to wonder if its starting to lose some its UHppph. So I recently picked up a thermolite liner that will add some thermo to my sleep and about 8oz to my load.

I'm going to be trying out an EE Revelation 10deg this year, which I'm thinking will be the cat's meow. Light weight, 800 fill power, long/wide to eliminate drafts, and a 10deg rating should be about perfect for the use you're thinking.
Posted By: djb Re: Mid-late October backpack bag - 05/23/16
MontBell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger, #0.

I love Montbell bags as they are the only mummy bags I can sleep in w/o waking up with that "straight jacket" feeling in the middle of the night. The nicest bag in the world does you know good if you rip it to shreds in a panicked escape attempt. blush
10 degree Enlightened equipment enigma here too. Regular/wide for me.
FF Flicker 20 / Helium 15 or a 5 Degree Bag. It depends .. ,
No fair Smokepole you sleep in a camper which has to be warmer than a tent! smile
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
No fair Smokepole you sleep in a camper which has to be warmer than a tent! smile

???? I have slept in a camper, but I don't believe I've ever slept in one while elk hunting.

That would be......uncouth.
And here I thought you lived in the lap of luxury and commuted to the elk via horseback, my bad!
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
...my bad!

I'll say. This is serious stuff!!

Maybe you're thinking of saddlesore.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Mid-late October backpack bag - 05/26/16
And I thought Smoke stayed at the Hilton and road hunted from his BMW SUV. smile
Posted By: Owl Re: Mid-late October backpack bag - 05/26/16
I'm thinking 2 horse's, 3 mule's and a camp chef to cook and clean all your meals. grin

Good luck in your choice of a pack. I'm sure that you'll make the best one for your needs.
Originally Posted by Ed_T
And I thought Smoke stayed at the Hilton and road hunted from his BMW SUV. smile

No, I park that at the Orvis Lodge and have my valet drive me in my 4-wheeler. It's heated, with a full bar.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Mid-late October backpack bag - 05/27/16
Now that's style. Do you wear a camo neck tie?
Ass-cot and smoking jacket for him as hunting is a leisure pursuit.
Originally Posted by pointer
Ass-cot and smoking jacket for him as hunting is a leisure pursuit.

That's right. No camo for me, I let my beaters wear that.

And the only one wearing a neck tie is the bartender on my four-wheeler.
Posted By: KC Re: Mid-late October backpack bag - 05/31/16

Bill:

I'll be using a Western Mountaineering Antelope; rated at 5 degrees, weighs 2.5 pounds. It has down insulation, but I've only once been worried that it was wet and on that occasion I was able to dry it out before bedtime.

KC

© 24hourcampfire