Home
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Eno Hammock - 06/05/16
I recently purchased an Eno hammock and Kelty Tarp to eliminate my 5lb tent from Sierra Designs which is well-worn through for backpacking. Has anyone had any experiences with hammock camping?
I have found a hammock to be much lighter and definitely more comfortable to sleep in then the ground.
Posted By: flattop_johnny Re: Eno Hammock - 06/05/16
I've been hammock camping for about 10 years now... It's not always lighter, but is most certainly always more comfortable.
While I have an array of hammocks to choose from,(homemade- up to top of the line cottage industry) I tend to always use my Warbonnet Ridgerunner these days.
Hammock camping is my preferred way to camp down to about 30 degrees; below that, I go back to the ground with my Hilleberg Soulo. ( I feel more secure about possible snow loads this way)
I could camp below 30 in the hammock, if I were so inclined to invest in a hammock sock, and a heavier under quilt, but then the weight would really go up in the pack.
Hammocks are also great for "us" below the treeline, and on uneven terrain.
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: Eno Hammock - 06/05/16
One pro is the uneven ground. I have searched the internet on under quilts for below zero and have found that the extra 2 lb some weigh is still lighter than a sub-zero bag with a top quilt. I would still be under the 5 lbs that a typical 3 season tent weighs.

Snow loads are a different story, I think a tent is a better choice and the 10 lbs my 4 season tent weighs would be okay.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Eno Hammock - 06/05/16
One mod for Eno's to save a bit of weight is to remove the ropes and caribiner in the ends and replace with a whoopie sling.
Some useful info:

http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Eno Hammock - 06/05/16
I'd like to try a hammock but I think it would be impossible for me. I think have a touch of sleep apnea. I can sleep all night just fine on my side or belly but I have breathing problems on my back.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Eno Hammock - 06/05/16
I have an ENO double, as well as a Snugpack Jungle Hammock (bugscreen built in). By the time you add insulation underneath you, there really is not much, if any weight savings. That said, it is substantially more comfortable, and I personally get much better sleep.

This weekend I spent in the mountains of central Idaho, and took my 1 man tent along. I was regretting it in about the first 5 minutes of trying to sleep. My ground pad was just not cutting it like a hammock, comfort wise.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Eno Hammock - 06/06/16
I bought the wife an Eno and have spent a couple PM's napping in it. I didn't find it all that comfortable. When I looked into insulation, I came away with sticking with my 2P tent. Likely the main difference is that I use a Big Agnes self inflating pad. Its 2.5" thick and can be a bit warm but I find the accordion closed cell pads more than uncomfortable.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Eno Hammock - 06/06/16
I gave a Hennesey UL a go one summer. a few of my thoughts.

They are probably great for a back sleeper and Ok for a side sleeper but don't really make the grade for a belly sleeper.

I tried with both a pad in the hammock (One of those 1/4" extra wide models)and JRB under quilt. In anything but hot summer conditions you will need under insulation. My feeling was that the under quilt worked much better than the pad, but as I do longer distance hiking, not having a pad sucks when you want to stay in a leanto/shelter or are above tree line and have to go to the ground. The tarp with the Hennesey wasn't really big/cut right to make a good ground shelter with trekking poles.

Once you add in a under quilt, the whole combo weighs as much or more than a light tent (ie a TT contrail).

On the other hand if you can deal with the other stuff, it was a bug proof shelter you could set up anywhere, great for eastern hiking where the woods are thick and you might want to do some stealth camping in an area without a clearing to set up a tent.

Posted By: George_Carr Re: Eno Hammock - 06/06/16
I have been sleeping in hammocks for a little over 4 years now and find that my sleep system is comparable,and at times lighter than most ground setups. I love the idea of not dealing with rocks, roots, and uneven ground.

I will agree that some of the cheaper options take the wind out of the sails of some new hangers.Sleeping in a hammock with a pad or air mattress sucks, as it doesn't allow you to get the comfort of the hammock conforming to you. And a lot of the cheaper options like the snugpak, while effective, are heavy. That doesn't mean that lighter has to be more expensive, but it helps to have some guidance from experienced hangers.
Posted By: djb Re: Eno Hammock - 06/06/16
Like others have said they have advantages and disadvantages. I have bad shoulders and the ‘taco effect’ can place a lot of pressure on the shoulders. I was at a summer music festival and was happy I could quickly go from tent camping to a hammock when the ‘campground’ was on a ski slope….and upon questioning the atv drivers with special boxes it was learned they were driving around gathering rattlesnakes! eek

Basically, they are nice in uneven terrain during warmer temps. Once it gets cold or you have good tent spot then they lose their appeal for me. Not sure if it was mentioned before, but if you have a lot of gear to stow, you have to make other provisions with a hammock.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Eno Hammock - 06/06/16
I get in and out of my hammock at night depending on comfort. I am a restless sleeper and often need to sleep on my side. I just plop down on the ground and sleep for an hour or so on my sides, then back in the hammock.
Posted By: prm Re: Eno Hammock - 06/07/16
I was just looking at these today. Does the ENO Double Nest sleep two? I assume so, but how comfy is that? Is it one larger hammock, or does it have two halves, one for each person?

For colder conditions, what else is required? Just a quilt underneath, or do you use a sleeping bag pad too?

I don't think I can beat the weight of my tipi, but for eastern camping I'd like to get off the ground.
Posted By: pal Re: Eno Hammock - 06/07/16
Camping off the back of the Harley, I have become used to a bivy sack (Big Agnes 3-wire) with sleeping bag and orally-inflated mattress inside. It's fairly light and sets up quickly. But a hammock is very interesting.

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Eno Hammock - 06/07/16
Originally Posted by pal
Camping off the back of the Harley, I have become used to a bivy sack (Big Agnes 3-wire) with sleeping bag and orally-inflated mattress inside. It's fairly light and sets up quickly. But a hammock is very interesting.

In this country, relying on a hammock can leave you lying on some hard ground.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: Eno Hammock - 06/07/16
It is stated that it sleeps two but I didn't buy it for that reason. I figured the bigger the better and I think I was right. There is a lot of room in the double nest, I can lay in this baby any which way and it is still comfortable. It is a bigger hammock then the singles. Yes, one hammock not two. For colder conditions I can't answer being it is summer here in NY. But under quilts are available in various degrees with the optional top quilt. I think for fall I will pick up a quilt and use my bag for the inside with the rainfly and bivy sack. Haven't used a quilt yet, but a purchase is in the forecast. As for a sleeping pad, I will just let my body conform to the hammock and see what happens. Being off the ground has so many more advantages than being on the ground, not just comfort.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Eno Hammock - 06/07/16
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by pal

In this country, relying on a hammock can leave you lying on some hard ground.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you lack the mental capacity to figure out that you probably should not use a hammock in a treeless desert, or other barren environments, then you probably should stick to safer hobbies normally reserved for the developmentally delayed. crazy

Posted By: alukban Re: Eno Hammock - 06/08/16
I hammock camp most of the time. The ENO hammocks are all you really need and are very good hammocks. Heck, DIY hammocks are all you really need, imho.

It's the other stuff that you should spend money on: windsocks, UQ's, easier suspensions, etc.

The lightest way to go to me is still a bivy bag + sleep gear and small tarp though.

The lowest temp I've done isn't that low - maybe only 13°F.

The "coldest" night I have done was not the lowest temp night but the wind was swirling and it was only maybe 11 mph. I had 0°F full-length UQ and sleep gear that "failed".

Two of THE most important things I have learned with hammock camping and staying warm are:
  • reduce GAPS (keep your UQ tighter than you think you need and use other clothing to stuff into cavities/crannies)
  • don't forget to CUT THE WIND with a windsock or a tarp that is set up to go all way to the ground - all around or in the direction of prevailing wind.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Eno Hammock - 06/08/16
Nice pic Alukban,

What do you consider the ideal under quilt in terms of price versus performance?

BTW, Bob sent me a link to one the Wiggys just recently put out, and it was pretty interesting.

Posted By: alukban Re: Eno Hammock - 06/08/16
I saw that Wiggys hammock bag too! Some guy named "Shug" who is a considered an internet expert by all the hammock folks is pretty much using and praising his own DIY version of the Wiggys hammock bag so it isn't that ludicrous or new and idea. I dunno how that thing keeps the bottom tight to your underside though.

If I were to do the UQ thing again, I'd go with 3/4 length for everything regardless of temp and subtract at least 15°F of temp rating from anything that is advertised. I would get Climashield Apex for eveyrthing. That is a personal thing but this is what I have found to be true for me. The full length UQ need bungees closer to the center also to keep the area under your butt from drooping.

I had once been hanging by a creek at near freezing, 100% humidity and EVERYTHING got wet and coated with ice though no rain ever touched anything. I don't want to rely on iced up goose feathers.

Specifically, I would get one these at the "corrected temp rating" of your choice: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p312/Jarbidge_River_UnderQuilt.html

No matter what, the lower the temp rating of the full-length UQ, the heavier it will be and the more likely it will dr0op near the middle unless it has extra bungees. Full-length UQ also suffer droop around the bend behind your legs and create an open cavity for cold air to intrude. This has been addressed by modifications called the "stretch mod" or "knotty mod". These are not problems with 3/4 length UQ's.

For my feet, I use a Kifaru Doobie Express as an elephant foot and wear mil-surp polarfleece booties. My feet are never cold smile

Good luck!
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: Eno Hammock - 06/08/16
I like the points on the sag issue. Couldn't you devise a system with a bungee cord or shock cord half way on a full-size quilt? I've seen Shug's videos too. He is the Guru of hammock camping.

http://www.hammockgear.com/
Posted By: George_Carr Re: Eno Hammock - 06/08/16
Originally Posted by alukban
I saw that Wiggys hammock bag too! Some guy named "Shug" who is a considered an internet expert by all the hammock folks is pretty much using and praising his own DIY version of the Wiggys hammock bag so it isn't that ludicrous or new and idea. I dunno how that thing keeps the bottom tight to your underside though.

If I were to do the UQ thing again, I'd go with 3/4 length for everything regardless of temp and subtract at least 15°F of temp rating from anything that is advertised. I would get Climashield Apex for eveyrthing. That is a personal thing but this is what I have found to be true for me. The full length UQ need bungees closer to the center also to keep the area under your butt from drooping.

I had once been hanging by a creek at near freezing, 100% humidity and EVERYTHING got wet and coated with ice though no rain ever touched anything. I don't want to rely on iced up goose feathers.

Specifically, I would get one these at the "corrected temp rating" of your choice: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p312/Jarbidge_River_UnderQuilt.html

No matter what, the lower the temp rating of the full-length UQ, the heavier it will be and the more likely it will dr0op near the middle unless it has extra bungees. Full-length UQ also suffer droop around the bend behind your legs and create an open cavity for cold air to intrude. This has been addressed by modifications called the "stretch mod" or "knotty mod". These are not problems with 3/4 length UQ's.

For my feet, I use a Kifaru Doobie Express as an elephant foot and wear mil-surp polarfleece booties. My feet are never cold smile

Good luck!

A correctly made uq doesn't need a bungee in the middle. A full length uq needs a secondary suspension to keep it from sagging. Here's a link to a good video on suspension setup. The quilt is one I made and is rated to -10F.

Shug Suspension Video
Posted By: alukban Re: Eno Hammock - 06/09/16
Whoaa... you're "that George" smile

Your stuff from locolibregear.com looks awesome AND extremely well priced. I will definitely be buying gear from you in the near future George.

Posted By: George_Carr Re: Eno Hammock - 06/09/16
Hahaha, yeah that George. I've been away for a while, but hope to contribute here more going forward. Tons of forums out there to keep a fella waaay too busy.

I appreciate the kind words alukban. One of my goals was/is to be affordable.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Eno Hammock - 06/12/16
I liked the idea of a quilt, but finally gave up on it due to bulk. Carrying an over and under quilts was like carrying two sleeping bags, plus the bulk of the hammock and the tent fly.
Posted By: flattop_johnny Re: Eno Hammock - 06/15/16
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'd like to try a hammock but I think it would be impossible for me. I think have a touch of sleep apnea. I can sleep all night just fine on my side or belly but I have breathing problems on my back.

That's where a bridge hammock comes in....You can side sleep fine in them, but belly sleeping is better than gathered end style, but still a little tough for long periods.
I've had a few back surgeries, and find my Ridgerunner gives me a better nights sleep than my own bed!
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: Eno Hammock - 06/19/16
Originally Posted by George_Carr
Hahaha, yeah that George. I've been away for a while, but hope to contribute here more going forward. Tons of forums out there to keep a fella waaay too busy.

I appreciate the kind words alukban. One of my goals was/is to be affordable.
Nice photos of the 5 Ponds wilderness George!
© 24hourcampfire