Home
I'd love to know the details of your builds or how you've customized a factory rifle to suit your needs.
Share a story of your favorite hunts with it wink

I'll start it off with one of mine, a 6.5mm Sherman.
It began life as a stainless Howa 1500, but received a Bartlein 3b barrel and B&C Medalist stock to dress it up. It shoots 1/4 MOA out to 600 yards with Matrix 150gr VLD at 3180'. Topped with Vortex HSLR 4-16x44 and Talley LW rings.

[img]https://scontent.fsjc1-3.fna.fbcdn....7408e9e26f4fbee292f1756b&oe=59AAA7D4[/img]
I've got a number, but I think this is my all-around best. It's a Kimber 84L 270 Win, with barrel cut to 22.5." Leupold 2.5-8x36 CDS on top in Low Talley's. With sling and rounds it weigh's 6lbs 11oz's. It puts three 150 Partitions consistently sub moa at 100 yards. Hard to beat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Little different setup but it's worked well so far. Stainless 700 7 Rem Mag bedded into a Gamescout Edge, SWFA 10x42 on top. I shoot mostly 168 VLDs. Not a super light rifle but light enough for me and settles down well over a pack.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
For some reason I can't get into my photobucket account, so I can't post any pics of rifles. But my two favorites are a Kimber Montana in .280 AI that's only been improved by bedding, and a NULA. The NULA's my favorite. It's chambered in .260 Remington, and very accurate. NULA model 20s have 3" magazines, so I can seat any bullet I want at the lands, and it's twisted fast. I spec'ed a 23" barrel with a #2 contour so it's a little heavier than lots of NULAs but it handles very well and I like it. Depending on the use, I put different scopes on it. Right now an S&B PM II fixed 10X. I've used that combo to kill pd's at over 600 yards.

Can't post pics but here's a story of a hunt (page 29) with a few pics.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/b...ital_edition_brought_to_you_by_weatherby

Don't have any pics, but a #2 contour Hart with a Rem 700 in a Mcmillan edge stock has worked fine. Not a 1/4 moa rifle but has numerous kills past 500 yards. 6.5-06 lobbing out exploding 140 berger vld bullets. Has a 3-9 swfa on it.

Don't really get hung up on weight anymore as I just hang em off my Kifaru gunbearer. This years backcountry hunts will be using a much heavier rifle as a result of that.
Originally Posted by 30338
Don't have any pics, but a #2 contour Hart with a Rem 700 in a Mcmillan edge stock has worked fine. Not a 1/4 moa rifle but has numerous kills past 500 yards. 6.5-06 lobbing out exploding 140 berger vld bullets. Has a 3-9 swfa on it.

Did you get the 147s to work in that rifle yet?
I'm not a backpack hunter but when I do cary a pack I do so with one of these Remington 700's

1st Gen Ti stocks
Steel trigger gaurds
VX3's in DD

One for 150 grn Accubonds
One for 180 grn Accubonds

Both chambered in 30-06

[Linked Image]

I have a 280AI in a Kimber Montana with a CDS V3 that can go too

[Linked Image]
kimber 260

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by smokepole

Did you get the 147s to work in that rifle yet?

They were shooting pretty good Phil, but the 140 vlds were as good and I have a pretty good inventory of them. I've had good luck with the bergers on game and kind of hate to switch.
For me its just a basic Kimber Montana in 308 with a vx3i 2.5-8.
Mine is a pre 64 M70 in an edge stock with a Jewell trigger and steel bottom metal. Currently wearing a # 2 Rock barrel in 6.5-06 and topped with a Mk4 10x, but I also use a 2.5x8 CDS. Had some memorable hunts with it in Arizona's back country.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wilkup:

My current "go to" backpacking rifle is a T/C Venture in 25-06. It wears a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 CDS scope and they are guaranteed by the Mfg to be MOA accurate right out of the box. Mine produces groups a little smaller. Rifle, Scope & sling, with an empty magazine, weigh 7.3#. I know that's not ultralight, but it's less than the T/C Icon Weathershield 30-06 that I use to carry. It weighs 9.1#. No pics but here's a link to the manufacturer's web page.

T/C Venture

KC

Sure are some nice rifles being posted.
The backpack rifle that has been taken is a Remington 700 TI by Rifles Inc in 280AI. It is both very accurate and very light. All up, including a Zeiss 3-9x42 w/elevation turret, it goes 6.16. The 24" barrel has a .610 OD and levels out for me while under the effects of being a sea-level dweller at high altitude getting a dose of adrenaline.

Have had it quite a while and being a cheap SOB, doubt that I would spring for it today at current prices. Too, am currently thinking the 280AI, for me, is a better choice as an elk round. It is more than enough for deer...but I didn't have dependable elevation turrets in my vocabulary when it was built, and wanted flat w/o getting the scope ocular shoved thru the back of my head...:)
[Linked Image]

My "go to".....GAP X Hunter.
Awesome photo!
Agreed--that is a beautiful pic as is Brad's...was that some of the goat hunt pics?

here is the RI getting some use with a Leup...

http://s124.photobucket.com/user/tomk-album/media/KS08-3.jpg.html

These are my two favourites for strapping to my pack. They both wear a SS 3-9x42 and Burris XTR Sig rings on Warne 2-pc steel bases now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
....... the 140 vlds were as good and I have a pretty good inventory of them. I've had good luck with the bergers on game and kind of hate to switch.

They shoot well in mine too but it was hard to resist trying the 147's. Just loaded some up with R-26 and H-1000, I'm thinking one of those two should work well, I'd like to get 2950 with those.

Both mine are based on pre 64 M70 actions, mcm stocks and swaro Z3 scopes and weigh just shy of 8 lbs. as shown..

280 AI
[Linked Image]

300 H&H
[Linked Image]
Sorry, no pics, for some reason, cannot download now, will do later. frown
Have a Remington 700 CDL SF, not the best for backpacking, but I like it a lot. But just wanted to comment on the backpack.
Is it another thread ? crazy
Had several, and the one I really like now is from Alps, the outdoorZ backpack After several hours of walking and in various weather (from nice to really ugly ) what you carry on your poor back is important. Plus if you cannot carry all the food/water you need and your back is aching, you're not going to hit the target shocked
Originally Posted by handwerk

Both mine are based on pre 64 M70 actions, mcm stocks and swaro Z3 scopes and weigh just shy of 8 lbs. as shown..

280 AI
[Linked Image]

300 H&H
[Linked Image]

Some nice rifles there Randy.

Tanner
If I'm hunting from a backpack, for me it's a "big" hunt. So, I generally take my most tried and true rifle, which was a college graduation gift from my deceased father. It's a Ruger MKII SS/lam in 338 Win Mag with a Leupold 3-9X40 VariX. Too heavy and not the most accurate, but I know what I can do with it. Someday I'd like something lighter in a smaller chambering and to upgrade a few features on this rifle. Until then, I'll just keep lugging this heavy rifle around.

[Linked Image]
Here are a couple of "action shots" of my NULA, it's laying at the base of the rock wall in the first shot:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Close-up, with a new DIY paint job:

[Linked Image]

My do it all hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Works in hills south of the equator too.

[Linked Image]
thanks Tanner.... I've got a couple others as well, feeling pretty rifle content now days.
prm - rifle/cartridge? It appears to be a Kimber. Looks like it works <G>
Originally Posted by bwinters
prm - rifle/cartridge? It appears to be a Kimber. Looks like it works <G>

You are correct. 84M in 338 Fed. Top and bottom pics were using a 160 TTSX, while bull in middle was a 180BT. I'm a big fan of that TTSX.
Thanks - nice critters.
Loving the pictures so far! They all look very nice =)
Mine looks just like this, an image I stole from Formidilosus, with different bases and rings, and the same 6X MQ Super Sniper, in 6.5 Creedmoor.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Mine looks just like this, an image I stole from Formidilosus, with different bases and rings, and the same 6X MQ Super Sniper, in 6.5 Creedmoor.

[Linked Image]

Is that a customized Howa or did it come looking like that? that's a good looking setup!
Howa Apline Rifle.

Semi-custom available from dealers.
Browning Hells canyon long range 6.5 creedmoor
[Linked Image]
Kimber 84 308 with Leupold VX-3.

Was G1 R.E.M. ti 30-06 but love the Kimbers more.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Howa Apline Rifle.

Semi-custom available from dealers.

David how do you like the alpine? I've been looking at one but I've yet to get a chance to hold one
I like it. It has all of the aftermarket stuff (nice stock, ceracoating) in a factory package that won't break the bank.

Shoots OK, not stellar, but certainly 1" - 1-1/2" with factory hunting loads, and that's what I bought it for.

Working on a 123 Secnar load right now.

It's a keeper, in my opinion.

Can't wait for them to come out in 6mm Creedmoor.
Some very nice modified rifles above! Another option is an out-of-the-box NULA--very light, accurate.
A very boring setup.

[Linked Image]

T3 .308

Edge stock
Talleys
NF 2.5-10x24

Pretty much exclusively shoots Scenars and Varget.
Sagebrush, what brake are you running on the T3?
hunting1 - nice bear. My Kimber 308 is set up exactly like yours. What is bruin ruin load in the bear photo?
[Linked Image]

Mines a P64 actioned 7mm Mashburn Super. Echols Legend EDGE, Bartlein barrel, TPS Alloys and a 3x9 SS. Weighs just a few ounces over 8lbs.
Another favorite... 308 Win MT:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by KU_Geo
Sagebrush, what brake are you running on the T3?

It is a Harrells Precision.

I have them on a few guns. They are effective and rather inexpensive.
Kimber 338-06 with 21" barrel.

210 Sciroccos at 2835 fps have proved to be deadly to moose, caribou, and grizzly bears.

6.2 pounds with a VX-6 2-12X42 on it:
[Linked Image]
I'm gonna get me a .338-06 one of these days, seems like a great chambering.

A kimber would be schweet.
[Linked Image]

.325 WSM
Originally Posted by bwinters
hunting1 - nice bear. My Kimber 308 is set up exactly like yours. What is bruin ruin load in the bear photo?

My everything load is 45-grs of Varget, F210, and 168gr NBT. Haven't caught one yet but anchors it's target.
My everything load is 45-grs of Varget, F210, and 168gr NBT. Haven't caught one yet but anchors it's target.

What's your speed with that load?
Originally Posted by beretzs
[Linked Image]

Mines a P64 actioned 7mm Mashburn Super. Echols Legend EDGE, Bartlein barrel, TPS Alloys and a 3x9 SS. Weighs just a few ounces over 8lbs.

Beretzs,

What scope bases are those?
Originally Posted by lostleader
Originally Posted by beretzs

Beretzs,

What scope bases are those?

I think they are Warnes.
not really a dedicated Backpack gun, but I hunt 5-8000' mountains in Idaho's Salmon River Breaks country and its all I ever take with me. For the longest time it wore a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, just recently that was replaced with a VX6 2-12X42. As shown weighs 8.6 pounds.

270 Winchester
Winchester 70 Action - South Carolina (circa 06/07)
Shilen #3 - been recontoured to roughly a 2.5 finished at 24.75"
Timney at 2.5 pounds
McMillan Edge Stock
Williams Bottom Metal
Talleys

Shoots 129grain Barnes LRX bullets at 3150 FPS into little tiny holes. More importantly - feeds everytime, works everytime, and I have 100% confidence in it.

I will try to post a pic tonight when I get home. Photo bucket is acting up here at work for some reason.
Originally Posted by Brad

What's your speed with that load?

Hey Brad, my average is right around 2825fps. Only beats my 30-06 load with 165 NP's by 50fps. (49grs-Varget)
Holy cow, that's scooting right along! I get around 2,680 with that load and bullet.
Holy cow, that's scooting right along! I get around 2,680 with that load and bullet.

I thought maybe I was getting bad reading so bough another Chrono and results were the same. I myself was surprised and even went and verified the dope which lined up. Manual says I should be around 2750 or so...I think my actual average is around 2810 after looking at my notes.
Originally Posted by pointer
......... but I know what I can do with it.

One of the main requirements for any shooter-rifle combination.
I'm going with this one this year. It's a Howa Alpine Mountain rifle in 7-08. with a Leopold VX-3 2.5-8X36 in a set of Talley lightweights. The trigger is set at 2.5#

[Linked Image]
It's crazy how barrels/chambers can vary one to the next.
It's crazy how barrels/chambers can vary one to the next.

Yes it is! 2-rifles of the same caliber and barrel length with a 100fps variance. I have a herd of 308's and the speed is all over the place!
Not much of a backpack hunter any more, but these fit the bill.. A custom barreled 700 .300 Savage & a custom 7mm08...

[Linked Image]
Will probably use the one on the right. Just a plain jane 06 bdl 700 in a bansner (I think) off of ebay. SWFA SS 6x and bolt fluting by twisted barrel.
[Linked Image]
I'm putting together a little 44 Magnum Marlin 1894 that I've done some work to for my backpacking rifle (~5.5lbs loaded) I plan to hunt bear with this August. Once it's all finished up, I'll post some pics of it on here.
Mods include:
Rear Peep
Front Fiber Optic
Chopped Barrel/Mag Tube - 16.5''
Metal is receiving Tungston Cerakote Treatment
Internals will be getting Microslick Treatment
Boyds Pepper Laminate Pistol Grip Stock and Forend with Decelerator Recoil Pad
Loop Lever
Pistol Grip Conversion

I've got a great load running Cast Performance 260gr in front of H110 at just under 1700fps and can get all 8 rounds onto a paper plate out to 150 yards.
Normally I only backpack for mule deer, generally in Washington's Cascade Mountains. Normally I'll grab my favorite mule deer rifle for that, a .25-06 Rem 700 CDL with a 6x Leupold.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guy
Started life as a Model 70 classic stainless in 270. Now a 280 AI . 8.5# with five rounds and sling.
As I age, I am starting to appreciate horses, light rifles and good optics.

[Linked Image]
Pointer,
There's nothing wrong with that Ruger rifle of yours that a Timney trigger won't fix. You'll be surprised at how your groups shrink.
Originally Posted by Doc_Paul
Pointer,
There's nothing wrong with that Ruger rifle of yours that a Timney trigger won't fix. You'll be surprised at how your groups shrink.
I have had the trigger stoned and it's smooth and crisp enough. I'd be shocked if a new trigger would help all that much, but thanks for the idea. I can get 1-1.5" 3 shot groups at 100yds out of it. It's worked for the game/shots I take. But, it's a far cry from the accuracy many tout "on the line". laugh
Nothing fancy about mine. I have a Ruger American in 30-06 with a VX1 scope. It's lightweight and very accurate. I'm not into pretty on guns so the black plastic stock is fine with me.
My 7 WSM Montana has crazy capability/weight ratio characteristics. Very accurate and just a great rifle. With that being said the rifle I've "efforted" towards lightening as much as possible is my 7-08 Mountain Rifle. B&C Superlight stock (meh) reinforced with a carbon arrow shaft epoxied into the barrel channel, set up blind-mag with a PTG aluminum triggerguard, PTG bolt shroud/ pin assembly, and a Leup 2.5-8 in Talleys. It was an accurate rifle from Day 1 from the factory. She's light. The shortcomings of the Leupold bug me so it's been a safe queen the last couple seasons. As I can, I intend to put a NF SHV 3-10 on it; that'll add a half-pound but for a good cause. I also intend to mill the action for a Wyatt's extended box so I can feed 162's from the magazine.
The 7-08 MR

[Linked Image]
The Kimber 7 WSM w/ NF SHV

[Linked Image]
Forbes 24B in .270 with a Leupold 2.5 - 8 in Talley low rings is my favorite. About three years back it replaced a Montana in 7-08 but both are fine rifles and I could live happily with either. Montana was a bit slicker action and I like the feel of the Kimber stock better than the Forbes but I do prefer the slightly heavier barrel of the Forbes and while like the design and feel of the Kimber stock better, I believe the Forbes has a higher quality stock - it's stiffer and lighter than the Montana stock. The Forbes is hands-down more accurate than the Montana and I shoot it better - probably due to the heavier barrel.

Too bad Forbes did not make it but there is always NULA.
I have several but, my favorite is my Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 358 Win topped with a 2-7x33 Leupold. The rifle is accurate and It makes me a better hunter because I have to get closer to game. Using 225 grain NP's with a stout load of TAC, I'm comfortable shooting out to 250 yards but, probably wouldn't hesitate going out to 300, at least on deer.
That's a fun one! Love me some .358. TAC was a godsend for the cartridge. RL7 is similarly awesome with 200's on down to light pistol bullets. It'll give a safe & sane 2650 fps with 200's in my 20" barrel! Anyway---- bravo! smile
My favorite Backpacker...foul weather...abuse rifle:

Remington M7 AWR in 7mm SAUM. Topped with a VX3 3.5-10x40, it's 7# 3 oz. 140 grains of Accubond at 3,000 fps is plenty medicine for most critters. My other rifle is a Merkel K1 in 7mm RM topped with a VX3 2.5-8. That rifle is 6#, 6.5 oz and drives a 150 E-Tip at 3,000 fps. Both are amazingly accurate and fully capable of 1/2" groups (*I've shot plenty of them). What I will say is that I shoot the SAUM more consistently but the Merkel is an incredible dream to carry, no sling necessary!

[Linked Image]

(*In this pic it wears a Leica 2.5-10 for the nit-pickers.)

Yeah, it was a hunt. smile

[Linked Image]

How do you like those gloves? Waterproof?
nope, not waterproof at all. but they worked great: wool for warmth, rubber palms for sticky. I've come to the conclusion that good old ragwool fingerless mittens are my absolute favorite for almost all hunting conditions.
Fierce Edge in 28 Nosler with Z5 Swaro Sheephunter. Flavor of the month.

Attached picture Fierce.jpg
© 24hourcampfire