Home
Was wondering what most of you did with your big packs when getting on an airplane, +6k ci pack in a large duffel and check, just check or carry on and gate check? Thanks
Its too big for cary on so this leaves 2 options

ship it ahead or check it
Pack inside large duffel and check. I have a few large, simple (therefore light) duffles that I use for this purpose.
Originally Posted by JRaw
Pack inside large duffel and check. I have a few large, simple (therefore light) duffles that I use for this purpose.

This
I ship what HAS to be there for me,
For my pack, I wrap it in duct tape (straps and a good wrap) and check it, You'll pay extra with the rifle case too.
Cordura over bag for packs run $25, worth the wear and tear.
I've packed mine in a duffel and also in a large cooler. That way, you can use the cooler for frozen meat on the return trip.
I carry mine on, but it may not be quite as large as yours. I have some important items like binos, rangefinder and boots inside the pack.
I flew from Mexico City to LA in 1972 with my only luggage was my frame back pack.
In customs the officer put his hand on my pack and asked if I had in Marijuana in there.
I laughed and said no. He instantly waved me through.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by JRaw

This

+3
I agree with packing inside a duffel. Depending on how full the pack is military surplus duffels/rucksacks are perfect for this. No frills, light and durable. I like to carry the pack on my back until checking it and then just slip it in the bag and when you pick it up in baggage claim take it out of the pack and you are off.
© 24hourcampfire