Home
Posted By: NDHuntr WM Antelope question - 08/12/17
Just wondering about fit with the Antelope. I'm 5'8'' and vary between 170-175lbs and wondering about how constricting this bag might be for me. Was also looking at the Kodiak, but think that may be a little too much room. Advise appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted By: KC Re: WM Antelope question - 08/12/17
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Just wondering about fit with the Antelope. I'm 5'8'' and vary between 170-175lbs and wondering about how constricting this bag might be for me. Was also looking at the Kodiak, but think that may be a little too much room. Advise appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm 5'-11", 210# and I've used a Western Mountaineering Antelope for summer backpacking trips for ten years. I just got back from a 3 day, 2 night backpack trip into the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. I used that bag and had all the room that I need.

KC
Posted By: NDHuntr Re: WM Antelope question - 08/12/17
Thanks KC. Would you say the Antelope would be good to go for full 3 season use? Thinking into November for Montana.
Posted By: KC Re: WM Antelope question - 08/12/17

NDHunter:

A lot of that depends on your personal internal furnace. It was a little too warm for me on this most recent trip and I was wishing that I had taken my WM Alpinlite, which is rated at 20°F. I spent most of the time with it unzipped and laying on top of me like a quilt.

The WM Antelope is rated at 5°F and WM ratings are more accurate than some manufacturers. I use my WM Antelope on backpack elk hunts, in the Colorado Mountains, during the 3rd rifle season, first week of November.

I use a warmer bag December thru February.

KC
Thank you! Exactly what I needed.
Posted By: Brad Re: WM Antelope question - 08/12/17
I had an Antelope, now use a Versalite. Same size and same basic temp rating, just a lighter bag. I certainly use mine here in Montana into November, as long as we don't have an early winter with sub zero temps, in which case either the Antelope or Versalite will need an overbag and perhaps a VBL.

I buy all my WM bags from Hermit's Hut because they offer free overfill (which I've had on all 8 WM we've had at our house).

https://www.hermitshut.com/product/western-mountaineering-antelope-micro-fiber-sleeping-bag/
Thanks for the link Brad! Hadn't considered the overfill. Good deal.
© 24hourcampfire