Home
Posted By: elkslayer53 Best Boot for $250 - 11/02/17
Can't afford the $400 + boots and $250 is a stretch, but thought if somebody had a good boot bargain recommendation they could pass it on. Used for easy terrain whitetail hunts, spring turkey, walking the hills coyote hunting, and an occasional elk hunt. Bought some of the Vietnam "Meindl" ultralights from Cabelas a year ago and they are already leaking. Didn't realize they were made in Vietnam when I bought them UGGG. Looked at the Danner 452/453 and they are made in CHINA. Realize I won't get an American made boot in my budget but thought I would see what some of you guys thought. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: RockChucker30 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/02/17
I've got some LaSportiva Core Highs that I like well for that sort of usage. Check out some of the Asolo's, especially from Sierra Trading Post. They have some killer deals now and again.
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/02/17
I've been wearing wolverine durashocks fro the last few years. Those boots fixed my plantar fasciitis problem that I had for years. 10 minutes ago I ordered a pair of durashock hunters. I'll let you know how they work out in the next few weeks. On sale right now for $130. Made in the USA
Posted By: Jedi_Swagger Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/03/17
I've been using Salomon Quest "Forces", for about a year now and have been happy with them so far. They run a couple hundred bucks.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/pro...een=0C9BFC79-C497-592A-BA68-59E04027BE13
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/03/17
My Danner Pronghorns from Cabelas still don't leak. Bought them 6 years ago for a Colorado hunt. Most comfortable hunting boots I own.
Posted By: Vek Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/03/17
Alico Summit boots with superfeet green insoles. Kind of a high-volume fit, but a very well made boot. Get a good pair of gaiters if you're having wet foot problems. They're good for more than just snow.
Posted By: riverdog Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/03/17
Yep, Alico Summit. You might not even need the insoles. Try Sierra Trading Post.
Posted By: 35 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/03/17
I `ve worn Wolverine Durashocks for work for better than 25 years.
They`re a very comfortable boot.
I just had the sole come off of my Wolverine (non Durashock) boots.
They were 10 years old, so no great loss.
I picked up a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers with 1000 gr of thinsulate.
They`re very comfortable.
$220.00 at my local Sporting goods store.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/03/17
Sierra Tradibg Post
Posted By: 300stw Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/03/17
ive had really good time with the solomon 4d gtx, fit great wear really good, never a blister or hotspot, lots of miles on 2 different pairs, even with gaiters the goretex they use is not even close to waterproof in either pair,,,,,
Posted By: elkslayer53 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/03/17
Thanks for the replies. I'm headed to Cabelas tonight to try and return my leakers and check out what they have. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Posted By: elkslayer53 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/04/17
Well I have to give Cabela's credit. They returned the full purchase price of my leakers so I tried several pairs of boots on today and I have to admit the Danner Pronghorns felt the best to me so that's what I'm going to try for now. Thanks to all of you for your responses .
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/05/17
Danner Pronghorns are the Chevy 350 of boots... my wife and kids wear them. They’re probably the best “cheap” boot out there.

Personally.... I will skimp on a rifle, a scope, Binocular, pack, etc.... before I skimp on boots. As far as I’m concerned, my boots are my single most important piece of “hunting equipment”. I have a pair of Lowa SheepHunters that I paid $400 for, they’re on their 10th Season. I’d guess they have several hundre hard miles on them. They’ve never leaked, and I’ve never had a single blister... they are so worth the verbal accosting from my wife at the time of purchase. $40/year is pretty inexpensive for quality boots.

PS.... I still wear those boots 30-50 Days a year..... that wife is loooong gone.... them’s good boots.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/05/17
If you have time , keep an eye on Amazon, I bought my Kenetrek Hard Scrabbles on there for $265.00 with free shipping....

Sierra trading Post is a good recommendation also. Good deals at times. Just be sure to give them a bogus or not used email to get additional savings as they clog an email with junk......
Originally Posted by elkslayer53
Can't afford the $400 + boots and $250 is a stretch, but thought if somebody had a good boot bargain recommendation they could pass it on. Used for easy terrain whitetail hunts, spring turkey, walking the hills coyote hunting, and an occasional elk hunt. Bought some of the Vietnam "Meindl" ultralights from Cabelas a year ago and they are already leaking. Didn't realize they were made in Vietnam when I bought them UGGG. Looked at the Danner 452/453 and they are made in CHINA. Realize I won't get an American made boot in my budget but thought I would see what some of you guys thought. Thanks in advance.

1) Got 3 pair of Cabela's Meindles, and they all sucked.
2) You didn't mention how high you require your boots to be.
Posted By: kingston Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/06/17
I've bought more boots from Sierra Trading Posts than anywhere else. At any given time, I've always had at least one pair of Alico Boots in service for the last 25 years. I currently wear their Mountain Hunter, which is insulated. I have a pair of their Guide boots, that's a bit too big, and I've worn out multiple pairs of Summit and Tahoe. I also have a pair of Gronell Burmas w/ Outdry. I don't know if you can get them in the US anymore, but they are excellent boots.

Alico Mountain Hunter
[Linked Image]

Alico Guide
[Linked Image]

Gronell Burma MSR
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Shag Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/11/17
Anytime anyone mentions gators you know that boots sucks come moisture. Asolo?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/12/17
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Danner Pronghorns are the Chevy 350 of boots... my wife and kids wear them. They’re probably the best “cheap” boot out there.

Personally.... I will skimp on a rifle, a scope, Binocular, pack, etc.... before I skimp on boots. As far as I’m concerned, my boots are my single most important piece of “hunting equipment”. I have a pair of Lowa SheepHunters that I paid $400 for, they’re on their 10th Season. I’d guess they have several hundre hard miles on them. They’ve never leaked, and I’ve never had a single blister... they are so worth the verbal accosting from my wife at the time of purchase. $40/year is pretty inexpensive for quality boots.

PS.... I still wear those boots 30-50 Days a year..... that wife is loooong gone.... them’s good boots.

Lot's of wisdom in this post. Agree 100%. Boots (and I will add glass) are the two things I'll never skimp on. Oh, and I'll add hunting partner to that list!
Posted By: RickBin Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/12/17
For that money and that usage, I sure like my Asolo Fugitive GTX. You should Google them. Apparently it is one of those items "operators" purchase from out of their own pockets.

Anyway, I love mine and will be purchasing another pair whenever these decide to give up the ghost, which won't be soon.
Posted By: battue Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/12/17
I'm liking these and Merlot approved: Solomon Quest 4D2 GTX

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/16/17
My Meindl's must be defective....the only time I've had a pair of them leak was when I went balls deep in the Musselshell river...grin. however in fairness I sno-seal pretty often.

Watch eBay for high dollar boots... you can get lucky pretty often and get a NIB pair of boots for considerably less than retail..

Ben
Posted By: goldroger Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/16/17
one what or the other you have to vivit Cabela's
Posted By: Zarrinvz24 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 11/16/17
My recommendation would be the Corcoran Jump boot. All leather, made in America, resole/rebuildable. I've had a set for the better part of 20 years and they are still going strong. If you expect to be in wet conditions you could always waterproof them using your oven or a heatgun and some Vaseline.

Or Bean Boots. Also made in America, but not as supportive as the jump boots. If you buy the insulated ones they will keep you dry and warm.
Posted By: Shag Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by RickBin
For that money and that usage, I sure like my Asolo Fugitive GTX. You should Google them. Apparently it is one of those items "operators" purchase from out of their own pockets.

Anyway, I love mine and will be purchasing another pair whenever these decide to give up the ghost, which won't be soon.

Rick how have they held up against moisture? On like my 6th pair of Solomon Q42 GTX and the fit is off the planet with awesome support but holy crap they suck at keeping my feet dry. Sole's pretty soft too but...... A good hiking buddy has had great luck with dry feet and Assolo's.

How them Fugutives?
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/29/17
HanWag Alaskan GTX.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/29/17
For $250?
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/29/17
My Cabela's Meindl Ultralights don't leak and will be ordering another pair when they go on sale....
Posted By: smokepole Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/29/17
Lowa Renegades fit the bill and the budget.
Posted By: prm Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/29/17
I've been extremely happy with Salomon Quest 4d GTX. I think I have six hunting seasons on these. Rain, snow, cold, warm and every imaginable terrain, many, many miles. Still keep my feet dry both in terms of moving moisture from sweat and when crossing creeks, bogs, whatever. Bought two more pairs when I ran across them on sale. Edit: just looked they are $130-$160 on Amazon. Other than extreme cold, they are my do-it-all boot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/29/17
I think I paid less than $250 for my Han wags, but I don't recall.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/29/17
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

$250 might get you a pair of Hanwag Cheyenne,you'll have to add a $100 to get the Alaskan GTX......

But they are worth it, my Trappers are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn!
Posted By: claybreaker Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by elkslayer53

I had a pair of the Meindl ultralights also... mine leaked also, and I really liked them except that LEAKING part. (they got stolen on my way to elk hunting this fall). Anyway, I returned them to Cabelas, thinking I had a flawed pair and got another pair. I don't remember if I took a chance on them leaking or if I treated them first. Anyway I treated the 2nd pair with "Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP" that solved the leaking issue.

I'm back in the market for boots again and I may end up with the ultralights again and if I do I will promptly treat them as well.
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

$250 might get you a pair of Hanwag Cheyenne,you'll have to add a $100 to get the Alaskan GTX......

But they are worth it, my Trappers are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn!

3A2HXpEZQkoS5pUs6agN696YhBU2VcCgFRaMRW4UpRWznEG5Nsfy0lyhoCXlgQAvD_BwE
Posted By: SKane Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/30/17
Cabelas has the Salomon Quest 4d 2 GTX for 137.99 right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SALO...Ompmo5exqRoC5EEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: Tanner Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/30/17
Can't imagine another $50-100 keeping me out of a pair of boots that fit my feet the proper way.

Tanner
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by SKane

Great deal! I love mine, wore them in deep snow in Idaho for 18 consecutive days last January. Feet stayed warm and dry.

mike r
Posted By: RickBin Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by Shag
Originally Posted by RickBin

Rick how have they held up against moisture? On like my 6th pair of Solomon Q42 GTX and the fit is off the planet with awesome support but holy crap they suck at keeping my feet dry. Sole's pretty soft too but...... A good hiking buddy has had great luck with dry feet and Assolo's.

How them Fugutives?

Mine have been stellar. They are hikers, so obviously standing water has to be shallow enough not to come in over the cuffs, but I can say without reservation my feet have stayed bone dry. Been hitting them hard the past few days chasing local quail, and sterling review stands.

Superb.
Posted By: setch Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/31/17
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Lot's of wisdom in this post. Agree 100%. Boots (and I will add glass) are the two things I'll never skimp on. Oh, and I'll add hunting partner to that list!

+1
If you decide to limit the spend on the boots and assuming you don't need insulation, check out REI for garmonts or lowas or asolos and get a set of gaiters...order a bunch and see what fits.
Posted By: ribka Re: Best Boot for $250 - 12/31/17
sierra trading post look for the additional 25 per cent off

if you keep your eye on it can pick up great deals on alico mountain hunter model or asolo, lowa hunter, zamberlan or scarpa

if dont fit easy and free to return
Posted By: STS45 Re: Best Boot for $250 - 01/02/18

GREAT DEAL. One of my all time favorite boots. Incredibly comfortable. I've worn them all over in many conditions, from desert to very cold, in fact just got back from Iceland. Was perfectly comfortable on top of the worlds largest glacier in these boots with wool socks.
Posted By: battue Re: Best Boot for $250 - 01/02/18

Best all around boot I have ever had. At that price will order another pair. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: prm Re: Best Boot for $250 - 01/02/18

Wow, maybe I need a 4th pair?? I really don't know how a boot could possibly work better for me.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Best Boot for $250 - 01/02/18

I appreciate the heads up as well. Grabbed me another pair.
Posted By: skeen Re: Best Boot for $250 - 01/03/18
Originally Posted by woods_walker

I appreciate the heads up as well. Grabbed me another pair.

Yes, thank you, Skane. I bought another pair too. Use code 8FREE for free shipping. With tax, free shipping and military discount, I got 'em for $140.44 shipped.
Posted By: Shag Re: Best Boot for $250 - 01/06/18
Brand new Salomon Q4DGTX will keep your feet dry for like 2 weeks. Horrible boots at keeping your feet dry. But my feet have an Organism every day I lace them up and support that is as good as it gets. I've got a graveyard of them. Wear them pretty much everyday of my life.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Best Boot for $250 - 01/07/18

Thanks. Picked up a pair as I kind of have a boot habit like my wife has a shoe habit...

On another note, I would recommend really stretching spending another ~$60 over the OP's budget for a pair of Crispi Wild Rock GTX boots. Recently tried these myself and can't say enough good about them so far. Made in Italy, I think. That's my $.02
© 24hourcampfire