Home
Posted By: starsky Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Been pretty busy lately, but here's a couple pics of my buck from this year. About 4 miles in, got snowed on the first night/day, and Tanner bailed before the heavy lifting started.

Great adventure and it was great to have my old man in there this year. Probably my favorite hunt this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Luckily my target bullets steered by a scope with too thin of a reticle for hunting on a rifle that's too heavy to climb mountains with managed to put him down pretty quickly...grin.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Fake news.
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Starsky, congrats on the nice buck. Give us particulars about the inadequate rifle/scope set up and some particulars about the hunt!
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Tanner's your old man?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
That hat is patriotic but not regulation. I'm sending this to CP&W.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Originally Posted by Tanner
Fake news.

Has to be Photoshopped.....

I don't see any sling studs and the bolt is on the wrong side of that cobbled up target rifle.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Sounds like it was a great time. And a heck of a buck! Congrats.

J
Posted By: starsky Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Thanks guys. Rifle is my 7mag with a 10x super chicken mil quad and 180 Scenars. 380 yard shot prone off my pack. Saw some pretty good bucks over the course of a couple days back there and this one ended up coming home.

One gear note: puffy pants are a necessity for me now that I've tried them. Game changer for comfort for me.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Sweet buck! Looks like a great time.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Yep another good year for you...same for your dad, congrats on a beautiful animal.....geez I helped pack out both my son's mule deer this year........where was your dad!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Originally Posted by smokepole
That hat is patriotic but not regulation. I'm sending this to CP&W.
It's perfectly legal in Idaho where orange is recommended but not required.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
I'm sure that Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CP&W) will want to check with Idaho before they pass sentence on this case of the Colorado muley.
Posted By: SnowyMountaineer Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Right on buddy. Puffy pants are a happy pound when sitting in the cold for sure. What's your tripod rest adapter?
Posted By: bwinters Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Originally Posted by starsky

One gear note: puffy pants are a necessity for me now that I've tried them. Game changer for comfort for me.

I'm curious about this - which pants you use?

Very nice buck by the way!
Posted By: GregW Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Pics no work for me for some reason....

Really want to tell you nice buck...
Posted By: starsky Re: Colorado Muley - 12/11/17
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Right on buddy. Puffy pants are a happy pound when sitting in the cold for sure. What's your tripod rest adapter?

Pig Saddle. Works great, though it's fairly stout/heavy.

Originally Posted by bwinters

I'm curious about this - which pants you use?

Very nice buck by the way!

Arc'Teryx LEAF puffy. Can't recall the exact model name at the moment. They're about 5" too short for me, but my gaiters cover up the difference.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colorado Muley - 12/12/17
They're about 5" too short for me,

What ain't?.......
Posted By: SKane Re: Colorado Muley - 12/12/17
Originally Posted by huntsman22
They're about 5" too short for me,

What ain't?.......

LOL. Well played, Don.

starsky, congrats on the deer.
Posted By: GregW Re: Colorado Muley - 12/12/17
Pics there today! Nice buck dude.....
Posted By: pointer Re: Colorado Muley - 12/12/17
Very nicely done!
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Colorado Muley - 12/14/17
Congrats on the buck and great pics. Man I am so looking forward to backpack hunting Mulies now that I live in colorado, just gotta find someone willing to do that kind of hunting with me.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Colorado Muley - 12/14/17
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Congrats on the buck and great pics. Man I am so looking forward to backpack hunting Mulies now that I live in colorado, just gotta find someone willing to do that kind of hunting with me.

The best part about Mule deer is that you can carry them and your camp by yourself... perfect animal to hunt solo, though starsky and I have had a few darn good buck hunts together.

Tanner
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Colorado Muley - 12/14/17
That’s the plan Tanner!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Colorado Muley - 12/15/17
Originally Posted by Tanner
Fake news.

I don't follow you two all that often, but thats ROTFLMAO...
NICE buck too.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Colorado Muley - 12/15/17
STUD BUCK there Starsky, good job man. Glad your dad was able to be there for that one.
Posted By: efw Re: Colorado Muley - 12/16/17
Nice buck and great pics sorry to hear about the heavy rig maybe when you have the experience to know better...

Seriously nice buck I enjoy seeing your adventures keep it up!
Posted By: Scotty Re: Colorado Muley - 12/16/17
Nice mule deer buck.
Posted By: TXFire Re: Colorado Muley - 12/24/17
Great deer congrats
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: Colorado Muley - 12/31/17
Nice buck and looks like your rifle combo did the job.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Colorado Muley - 12/31/17
Nice buck and congrats Starsky. You guys are doing it right. Trophys are good, meats great, but the memories are priceless.

Really great to see how you guys appreciate those moments well ahead of you old age.

PS, you say behind your back, one handed with a mirror (or something like off a pack), but I noticed that clamp!!!! HA!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Colorado Muley - 12/31/17
I got to tag along to watch the boys do their stuff this time. Once a shooter gets spotted, they tend to go into action pretty fast. I figured he would never take the time to hook that saddle up and I was right. He was flopping like Christian Laettner and shooting off the pack like they always do.

It was good to hunt with them and for their ages, they have many high country trophies piling up. Proud of them, good team.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Colorado Muley - 01/07/18
Originally Posted by 30338
I got to tag along to watch the boys do their stuff this time. Once a shooter gets spotted, they tend to go into action pretty fast. I figured he would never take the time to hook that saddle up and I was right. He was flopping like Christian Laettner and shooting off the pack like they always do.

It was good to hunt with them and for their ages, they have many high country trophies piling up. Proud of them, good team.

Hell of a good team to include as my middle son calls me, their “pops.”

Thing about these fellas is they are as good natured as they are good at what they do. If I were you, it’d be hard to get my chest through most doorways, most days. For anyone who has spent time in the fields or mountains, experience is obvious when a real hunter goes into “kill mode” which is how I interpret your statement.

Happy New Year to you all!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Colorado Muley - 01/08/18
Happy New Year Bob. Here is to more punched tags and memories for all of us in 2018.
Posted By: SKane Re: Colorado Muley - 01/08/18
Originally Posted by 30338
Once a shooter gets spotted, they tend to go into action pretty fast. I figured he would never take the time to hook that saddle up and I was right. He was flopping like Christian Laettner and shooting off the pack like they always do.

laugh laugh
© 24hourcampfire