Home
I've been using various synthetic boxer briefs over the past couple of years. Been using Cool Maxx and a Haines product both made of poly. I really like the fit and feel but after 1 day the funk factor takes over. After 2 days I can't stand it, let alone anyone I'm sharing a tent with.

What are you guys wearing for multiple.day excursions?
Commando unless I’ve got merino baselayer on
Exofficio give and go boxer briefs

ExOfficio Men's Give-N-Go Boxer Brief, Curfew, Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AIEHR2C/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_1KxMAbGP1FKZS
I saw those. Sizing seem normal?
Originally Posted by bwinters
I've been using various synthetic boxer briefs over the past couple of years. Been using Cool Maxx and a Haines product both made of poly. I really like the fit and feel but after 1 day the funk factor takes over. After 2 days I can't stand it, let alone anyone I'm sharing a tent with.

What are you guys wearing for multiple.day excursions?

Icebreaker merino wool. It's spendy, but worth every penny. Shop around and you can find it on sale to help with the sting.
I've been using synthetic boxer briefs with a long/9" inseam for multi-day excursion without issue, but I'll usually pack myself an extra 1-2 pairs. I have a few baselayers (not underwear) from Icebreaker and Smartwool and really like both, I just haven't ponied up the dough for underwear since what I have seems to be working ok.
First Lite Merino boxers are my favorite with Smartwool Microweight boxers a close second.
Originally Posted by bwinters
I saw those. Sizing seem normal?

Yes
Compression shorts. Like the sports guys wear. I'm fat and it cuts down on chaffing.
+1 on Exofficio. I have 2 pair of icebreaker merino's. They are ok. The first time I wore them was on a 6-hour uphill alder fest, and they sort of rubbed me wrong. For some reason it took me a while to try them again.

Ideally I'll wash the ex-officios in a creek at about the point that I can no longer stand the stink of the rest of myself and take a bath.
Originally Posted by prm

ExOfficio Men's Give-N-Go Boxer Brief, Curfew, Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AIEHR2C/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_1KxMAbGP1FKZS

These are also my favorites.Yesterday did 2 hours up hill w.1400' of gain and sweated a lot. The return was mostly downhill and took1.5 hrs and underwear, all synthetic, was dry by the time I got back to the truck.

I usually take 2 pair for every 7 days. A good rinse and they are fresh again and dry very quickly if temps are mostly > freezing.

mike r
remember kotton kills.
My favorite is under armor boxer briefs.
Under Armour Boxer Jocks. I prefer them to the ex- officio. 8 day trip last year alternating between two pairs and no funk issues. I have a pair of SAXX that I really like also, planning on buying more. I’ve also used running shorts with a built in liner with good luck.
I use under armor boxer briefs as well. Maybe I'm just extra funky but it's one day and switch for me.
REI synthetics, in black. My sense of smell is not that acute, and with the black color, they stay clean for weeks.
How do you determine front from back, switch times and what is the inside for the week?

mike r
Originally Posted by prm

While I love the ExO boxer briefs (*the fabric is excellent and general design really works), the waist is WAY high - above the belly button. Your choice, I prefer below the button. I have to fold the waistband down a couple times to make it work for me.
Originally Posted by rnovi
Originally Posted by prm

While I love the ExO boxer briefs (*the fabric is excellent and general design really works), the waist is WAY high - above the belly button. Your choice, I prefer below the button. I have to fold the waistband down a couple times to make it work for me.

I’ve never had that issue. Probability depends on individual fit.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
How do you determine front from back, switch times and what is the inside for the week?

mike r

The front has the opening, the back has the little rectangular tag. Put 'em on once, and change at the end of the hunt.
bwinters

I know you like aerowool products from FL. Have you thought about trying their Benmore aerowool boxer briefs?
You are a savage.

mike r
Yes. I hesitated when I read reviews of the crotch going out in a week or two of hard hunting. I have narrow hips and my thighs rub together at my crotch. I chafe and wear out underwear in that area as it is. I may try a pair but they don't give them away......
Exofficio every day of the year, regardless of the activity.
Which model Clint? Any notice of a high waste band? Can't stand that myself.
ExO fit me horribly. Spindled legs or something.

Terramar are a good option for me. Like the mesh ones. Can find them at sierratradingpost.

Should probably drop the coin on some of those merino ones, just haven't had need yet.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I use under armor boxer briefs as well. Maybe I'm just extra funky but it's one day and switch for me.

This^^^
I use Patagonia's Capliene Boxers. I've worn it on 3 day back packing trips. I've worn it for over a week at a time when hunting the low desert. Never had any issues. Never sticky, or chaffing. And I've never worn any out. At almost $30 a pair, they'd better last. The unlined versions are the coolest in hot weather. E
Originally Posted by prm

+1. I take 2 pairs, wear one/wash one and you can go 2-3 days (probably longer) without stinking in a single pair easily.
I ended up finding some Sitka silk weight boxers on sale and bought 2 pairs. We'll see how they work in the next couple months.
I like the UA boxerjocks and wear then daily, but for long,extended intervals where I'm being physically active I wear C9/Champion synthetic boxer briefs with a longer inseam. I find them to be a little more comfortable and they seem to resist riding up on me like the UA's will.
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Which model Clint? Any notice of a high waste band? Can't stand that myself.

I can't stand underwear, or any clothing for that matter, that is tight fitting and that I can feel tugging on me. I wear the Give N Go Boxers which are loose fitting. They do not ride high, actually the opposite.
Originally Posted by prm

absolutely
I personally have poly-anything. Yuck.

I always shop for gear late winter. 2 years ago I picked up 2 pair of Cabelas brand merino underwear and 2 merino tshirts on closeout for $90 total! I felt like I stole them, and have never been so happy to spend almost $100 on some skivies in my life.

IMHO wool can't be beat, but it's expensive unless you have patience to find a deal. I probably have enough wool layers stockpiled now to last the rest of my life. I keep them sealed in a Rubbermaid tub.
I know cotton is not supposed to be good but I usually wear normal cotton boxer briefs. I find them the most comfortable. If they get wet and start draining my heat, I figure I can just ditch them and go commando. If you don't bring enough pairs, turn them inside out each night.
Hot weather = Exofficio

Cool/cold weather/ or long stinky trip = Minus 33 wool boxers. I like the Minus33 better than smartwool, icebreaker, and first lite.
Duluth Trading has their merino wool boxer briefs on sale right now. Good stuff.
https://www.duluthtrading.com/store...y&pageid=11608&processor=content
Stink is not my issue. Has anyone found a pair that wont ride up and chaff. Chaffing is a huge issue for me! I've found ways to overcome it but it aint pretty!
Originally Posted by magnum44270
Stink is not my issue. Has anyone found a pair that wont ride up and chaff. Chaffing is a huge issue for me! I've found ways to overcome it but it aint pretty!

Under Armour Boxerjock has had the fewest chaffing issues for me. Body Glide can be your best friend to fight off chaffing. On my last trip I chaffed pretty bad the first day. After that, I applied Body Glide every morning and aquiphor every night, kept me in good shape.
I guess I'm old school. Any time I'm in for maximum activity it's commando with a handful of corn starch strategically applied.
Originally Posted by magnum44270

I find that the boxers with a longer inseam (8-9") are much better than the shorter (6") in that regard. I have both, and wear short-inseam UA Boxer-Jocks day-in/day-out but when I'm doing a lot of physical activity I always opt for one of the pairs I have with the longer inseam.
Merino....no stank.
Originally Posted by rnovi
Originally Posted by prm

Hmm, your buttion is in an odd spot...Ex Officio every day of the week.
© 24hourcampfire