Home
Posted By: ryoushi HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/24/18
Anyone here have one of the HPG Runners kit bag and actually run with it with a handgun? I'm looking for a better way to carry while trail running. Got up close and personal with a yogi last weekend and having my Glock in the pack was less than convenient. Any input would be appreciated.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/24/18
Yes. They work. I try to keep the contents minimal, in order to minimize the slap on every step. But it works very well, and is a nice way to carry a phone, knife, and G23.

I use it on the bike as well, and I add a spare tube, tire tool, CO2 inflator, and bike multitool for that.

My only complaint is that the adjustments in the straps tend to loosen up. Not as big of a deal when running as it is fairly easy to deal with, but I don't care to mess with it overly on the bike. Same goes for the "Heavy Recon" kit bag that I use while backpacking. I wish there were a way to lock the adjustment easily when I get it where I want it, and then unlock for clothing adjustments.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/24/18
Originally Posted by cwh2
Yes. They work. I try to keep the contents minimal, in order to minimize the slap on every step. But it works very well, and is a nice way to carry a phone, knife, and G23.

I use it on the bike as well, and I add a spare tube, tire tool, CO2 inflator, and bike multitool for that.

My only complaint is that the adjustments in the straps tend to loosen up. Not as big of a deal when running as it is fairly easy to deal with, but I don't care to mess with it overly on the bike. Same goes for the "Heavy Recon" kit bag that I use while backpacking. I wish there were a way to lock the adjustment easily when I get it where I want it, and then unlock for clothing adjustments.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate your response! Do you use the running stabilizer strap that comes with it? And in warm weather, does it cause you to overheat or get uncomfortable due to sweat?
Posted By: cwh2 Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/25/18
Lol... had no idea what that was. I should maybe hit their website?

Yeah... it will cause you to sweat, or rather stop the sweat from evaporating under it. Not nearly the problem on the bike. Also, I haven't been able to use it in temps over about 55 degrees yet, because I have only had it a couple months. Some sort of wicking shirt helps.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/25/18
I've used one for three or four years now. Like cwh2, I keep contents to a minimum while running; G26 and truck keys.

The system works well and no, I do not use the running strap. As stated above, use a moisture-wicking shirt, you're going to sweat with or without the bag. If you're not sweating, well.....

The bag is well worth the money. I use it anytime I'm in the field, whether running, hiking, hunting or riding an ATV. I prefer it to a holster.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/25/18
Lol... had no idea what that was. I should maybe hit their website?

Yeah... it will cause you to sweat, or rather stop the sweat from evaporating under it. Not nearly the problem on the bike. Also, I haven't been able to use it in temps over about 55 degrees yet, because I have only had it a couple months. Some sort of wicking shirt helps.

It looks like the stabilizer strap, which is just a loop of shock cord, comes with the bag. To be honest, it doesn't look all that comfortable.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/25/18
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I've used one for three or four years now. Like cwh2, I keep contents to a minimum while running; G26 and truck keys.

The system works well and no, I do not use the running strap. As stated above, use a moisture-wicking shirt, you're going to sweat with or without the bag. If you're not sweating, well.....

The bag is well worth the money. I use it anytime I'm in the field, whether running, hiking, hunting or riding an ATV. I prefer it to a holster.

Good info, thanks!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/25/18
Originally Posted by ryoushi

It looks like the stabilizer strap, which is just a loop of shock cord, comes with the bag. To be honest, it doesn't look all that comfortable.

It does come with the bag. It is still sitting in the back seat of the truck... I'll play with it at some point.

They are a great piece of gear.
Posted By: Holston Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/26/18
I have a ton of biking and hiking miles on my kit bag (original), but have not done much running with it so I won't comment on that.

I bought the stabilizer cord but could not get comfortable with it.

I do some moderately rough mountain biking, and have never been bothered by or noticed much 'bounce' at all.

Wearing one takes very little getting used to, and I haven't found anything that comes close to the convenience of them. I may order another to use while wading the rivers.
Posted By: texag10 Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/26/18

Adding triglides to the wedding above the buckles stopped this issue on my bino harness. Another option is autolock buckles that kifaru sells.
Posted By: LazyV Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/26/18
I would echo the comments above. I have used mine for years and once you get used to the setup it is fine. I keep the contents minimal, wallet, phone, car key and a handgun and it's perfect. I actually prefer running with it vs without for some reason.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/27/18
Appreciate the comments fellas.

So, another question. Is anyone mating the RKB with the Tarahumara pack?
Posted By: TWR Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/29/18
I bought the recon harness with my runners bag, carries a camelback bladder and has room for a jacket.

I used mine training from Jan- April for a marathon and loved it. It carries everything I needed plus a S&W 642 without slowing me down much. Money well spent.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/30/18
Tried ordering a Recon version of the RKB today and of course, out of stock in all colors but black. crazy tired Will keep trying to chase one down.
Posted By: TWR Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/30/18
To be clear this is the recon harness I bought to go with my recon runners kit bag instead of the Tarahumara pack you asked about.
https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/60
I like the recon version better than the regular runners bag because I can and did, add a Blue Force Gear 10 speed pouch to it.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 05/30/18
Thanks for the clarification. I'm wanting the recon kit bag for the same reason, add a pouch up front for binos or mag pouch or both. Am looking for versatility.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 06/03/18
Use mine for both hunting & walking. Excellent product. I have two.
Posted By: TWR Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 06/04/18
Ya, I have the original kit bag for hunting. Took the place of my Kifaru E&E pack for calling coyotes.

Handy as a pocket on a shirt. In fact I guess they are just a big pocket on a shirt. smile
I use mine every time I'm hiking and most of the time I'm hunting.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 06/05/18
IF you’re running, you want the stabilizer strap- if you’re hiking it’s not needed

agreed- keep the weight/volume reasonable, especially running

I had the Recon harness, I didn’t find it very comfortable (and sold it) a small pack works better imo
Posted By: ryoushi Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 06/06/18
I've decided to get the Recon version, just waiting for the color I want to get back in stock. Thanks for all the positive input!
Posted By: Jcubed Re: HPG Runners kit bag ??'s - 06/20/18
All of them are a great piece of kit.
© 24hourcampfire