Home
Posted By: hh4whiskey Merino base layers - 11/13/18
I’m due some new base layers, and think I want merino....one light set and one heavy set for sedentary hunts. What’s out there for best $/warmth/durability/etc? Is anything better than merino?

Haven’t kept up with tech gear too much recently.

Thanks
Posted By: basdjs Re: Merino base layers - 11/13/18
IMHO First Lite makes the best merino baselayers. Black Ovis and Cabelas merino baselayers are good as well. Merino is your best next-to-skin layer in terms of comfort, moisture wicking, and scent control.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Merino base layers - 11/13/18
I really like Minus33.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Merino base layers - 11/13/18
SmartWool for me.
Posted By: MO2AZ Re: Merino base layers - 11/13/18
Smartwool for me as well.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Merino base layers - 11/13/18

Icebreaker.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Merino base layers - 11/13/18
merino is nice, but has definite drawbacks- it's not overly durable, especially lightweight like you would want for base layer; it also holds moisture (slower to dry) more than synthetics. Having said that, there are some brands that have been producing merino/syn blends- the benefits of merino, but more durable and quicker drying

I'd be looking for merino fabrics that have some synthetic blended in
Posted By: Heeler Re: Merino base layers - 11/13/18
Midway has some house brand merino on sale right now. I picked some up and and are pretty good for the price point. I like the Midway bottoms because you can get them in 'tall' sizes. I've also got some First Lite and have to agree its probably the best. I think Cabela's dropped their line of merino base layers when Bass Pro bought them.
Posted By: efw Re: Merino base layers - 11/13/18
FirstLite for sure. Just incredible. I’ve tried non-hunting specific brands but nothing works as well or is as durable.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Merino base layers - 11/13/18
Kuiu zip off bottoms, First Lite tops.
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Merino base layers - 11/14/18
Minus 33 for me.
Posted By: TREE_EM Re: Merino base layers - 11/17/18
I’ve been running Cabelas long sleeve and short sleeve T-shirts for a few years and they’re holding up well.

I’ve been running -33 boxer briefs and Kuiu zip off bottoms for a year and a half and have zero complaints.

I’ve been soaked to the bone from the outside in and the inside out more than a few times and find that they all dry quickly. T-shirt and boxer briefs have been worn from a high of 102° to a low of -21° with no complaints. My wife says they don’t stink as bad as synthetics when I get home.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Merino base layers - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by mtwarden
merino is nice, but has definite drawbacks- it's not overly durable, especially lightweight like you would want for base layer; it also holds moisture (slower to dry) more than synthetics. Having said that, there are some brands that have been producing merino/syn blends- the benefits of merino, but more durable and quicker drying

I'd be looking for merino fabrics that have some synthetic blended in

This......^^^
© 24hourcampfire