Home
Posted By: Bisley Thoughts on Oboz Windriver III - 11/30/18
Looking at Idaho elk next october rifle season. A couple friends are suggesting these boots. This will be my first backcountry hunt, my normal funt is treestand hunting in Arkansas. I know I need a different boot than my current insulated boots. Also looking at Solamon Quest and Asolo
Be careful with Oboz. They are a solid shoe/boot but have a rounded bottom to their sole. On flat ground this is no big deal, on sloped terrain your ankle rolls - Alot. It was a deal killer for me.
I've been wearing them for a few months for my work as a forester. They are not as stiff as most of the boots that are popular here like Lowa Tibets, but they have a great footbed and are very supportive for me. They run narrow. I work in all kinds of terrain and haven't had any issues with rounded soles.
Crispi or Kenetrek. Your headed a long way from home. You want to hunt nonstop day in and day out get a boot that will too. Forget the Salomon Quest 4D forsure.
I think a lot of hunters over boot themselves. The oboz will be fine, assuming you put plenty of miles on them over the summer to strengthen your feet/ankles. My feet are much happier on high mileage days now that I have switched to a light hiker. Used to wear very stiff Lowa and Scarpa boots, and always had trouble with my feet. I actually roll ankles much less frequently with a low profile, flexible sole.
© 24hourcampfire