Home
Posted By: lvmiker Kogalla Ra light - 01/05/19
I watched a couple of 200 mile Ultra running videos and one of the contestants had this set up. It is a multiple LED and battery system with a lot of interesting features/options. Has anyone tried this system? It offers capabilities not offered by others and seemed very applicable to hunting.

mike r
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/05/19
I have Gloworm and Lupine lights which are comparable in weight, have double the lumens, but are more expensive. I use them for night mountain bike riding.
Posted By: TomS Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/07/19
Yep, best adv light system available. Great flood pattern. Many uses.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/07/19
What's it weigh? The battery life of five hours (if correct) would be a non-starter for me on backpacking trips.
Posted By: Brad Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/07/19
Originally Posted by smokepole
What's it weigh? The battery life of five hours (if correct) would be a non-starter for me on backpacking trips.

According to one review, battery life is 3 hrs on high. At first blush it looks useful, but not for backpacking.

The Kogalla website is a hype-laden disaster with no specs I could find. I did find info elsewhere that the battery pack alone is 5.2 oz's.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/07/19
Looks like a good concept. Give it a few years and somebody will do it a lot better/lighter.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/10/19
Many companies are already doing it better and lighter.

Originally Posted by Calvin
Looks like a good concept. Give it a few years and somebody will do it a lot better/lighter.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/11/19
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Many companies are already doing it better and lighter.

Originally Posted by Calvin

And who would that be?

mike r
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/11/19
The best and most expensive is the Lupine Piko 5. Gloworm out of New Zealand, Ay Up , and the many Magicshines and clones. Kogalla is not a new or novel light. Lower cost and perhaps better value are Zebra H600 and the Fenix HL60R. I used to compete in 24 hour mtn bike races so that is why I used the top end ones. I ran the Lupine Piko on my helmet and a Gloworm XS on my bar during my last race.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/11/19
Thanks BeanMan, my needs are more pedestrian [pun intended] but backcountry light systems are constantly evolving and I think they are cool.

mike r
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/11/19
Yes, I am a light snob.

Originally Posted by lvmiker
Thanks BeanMan, my needs are more pedestrian [pun intended] but backcountry light systems are constantly evolving and I think they are cool.

mike r
Posted By: TomS Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/28/19
If you are comparing the RA to headlamps, the concepts are different - more of a flood-type light, with multiple brightness possibilities. I have found I turn my headlamp off when using both. battery life has not been an issue for me on 3-4 night adventures. Not really considered an ultralight set-up.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Kogalla Ra light - 01/28/19
The 120 degree light pattern is a non starter for me for a lot of different reasons. If you are with other people they are going to be night blind because of you, if you are heading out to a hunting spot everything in the woods will know you are coming. There are many better lights available, that is my main gripe.
© 24hourcampfire