Home
Posted By: Calvin Best Base Layer - 02/16/19
Anything new out there? Looking for quicker drying than merino, and not as stinky as full on synthetic. My mid is a lulu lemons synthetic, and kuiu chugach for outer. Puffy for mornings and evenings.

Looking to redo some of my layering.

edited to add, 5-7 days of hunting in it.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Best Base Layer - 02/17/19
Take a look at First Lite Aerowool merino wool/synthetic blend base layers. First Lite products are pricey but top quality.
Posted By: Stilllearning Re: Best Base Layer - 02/17/19
For you guys using Aerowool are you using the 150 or 200 ?
Posted By: Brad Re: Best Base Layer - 02/17/19
I've stuck with Polartec (Capilene) of various weights. I genuinely dislike wool as a baselayer. Guess I'm the odd man out, but I don't find it stinks any more than anything else.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Best Base Layer - 02/17/19

Bring a fresh change or spare like Terramar Dri-Release!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Best Base Layer - 02/18/19
I bought a bunch of synthetic/merino blend stuff at Costco a while back. Love it. It's like 20 or 30% merino.

Warm, dries fast, cheap, has held up, doesn't stink.....
Posted By: bwinters Re: Best Base Layer - 02/18/19
FL Aerowool is the real deal. I've been running it for the past 2-3 years - didn't know they had 2 weights. I'd guess I have the 200 weight.

I've worn them for 4 straight days elk hunting the past couple years - no stench and work as advertised.

I also like Sitka, all weights, for the bottom. Patagonia midweight works well.
Posted By: djb Re: Best Base Layer - 02/18/19
I still use merino.

Do you wear undies and a T-shirt? I usually don't take changes of layers but do try to change the things that contact skin directly (undies, t-shirt, socks). Maybe rotate some high tech stuff under your wool.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Best Base Layer - 02/18/19
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
For you guys using Aerowool are you using the 150 or 200 ?

I'm not hunting in hot weather so everything I use in First Lite is midweight. Even midweight is light. I didn't mention in my first post that Blackovis is a good quality merino first layer at a lower cost...especially if you catch them on sale. I like their boxers and tees with First Lite or Sitka as mid layers as needed.
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: Best Base Layer - 02/18/19
FirstLite AeroWool all the way.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Best Base Layer - 02/18/19
I still use merino too. Thin t-shirt minimum and long johns/long sleeve shirt if its cold.

I'm shopping for new winter base layers, as my current stuff is sort of worn out.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Best Base Layer - 02/19/19
Originally Posted by bwinters
FL Aerowool is the real deal. I've been running it for the past 2-3 years - didn't know they had 2 weights. I'd guess I have the 200 weight.

I've worn them for 4 straight days elk hunting the past couple years - no stench and work as advertised.

I also like Sitka, all weights, for the bottom. Patagonia midweight works well.

Nice. I'm starting over as my merino is fairly tattered. Have to go with the aerowool.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Best Base Layer - 02/19/19
Living next to the Smoky's I dayhike alot all trough the year. I wear FL Aerowool or Patagonia light or midweight tops. The Patagonia will stink after a day or so.

BTW: someone mentioned underwear. I get serious chaffing on the inside of my legs. Can't walk chaffing........... Been using Sitka undies and seems like problem solved. I need something that extends below the crotch and tighter fitting than boxers. Boxer briefs are the ticket. Wore the Sitka 4 days straight this past year without issue. We even had chili one night early in the hunt <G>
Posted By: basdjs Re: Best Base Layer - 02/19/19
Originally Posted by bwinters
?.....We even had chili one night early in the hunt <G>

The true barometer by which a man's skivvies should be measured! grin
© 24hourcampfire