Home
Posted By: lawnman Tent warmth - 04/05/19
Quick question. Upgrading tents due to my 3 person tent replaced under warranty. Marmot brand. This tent used for car camping only. "Glamping" No packing it in. So question is in colder weather is a 4 man tent going to be colder than a 3 man tent all things considered? Thanks.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Tent warmth - 04/05/19
A four person tent will not be colder than a three person tent. All tents unless heated will be the outside temp. Body heat is not enough to make a difference.......
Posted By: lawnman Re: Tent warmth - 04/06/19
Thx . Kinda think same
Posted By: handwerk Re: Tent warmth - 04/06/19
I've been pretty happy with my seek outside tipi/stove when it comes to cold weather camping.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Tent warmth - 04/07/19
There might be a difference, but there are a lot of variables.

I used to have a Trango-2. It was a legit 4-season tent. It stayed pretty darn warm inside at sub freezing temps, just from body heat of two people.

With a typical 3-season tent, maybe not much difference.
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Tent warmth - 04/07/19
Not unless you all fart a lot!

Seriously, an old army tick was to burn a candle in the tent an hour or so before getting into your bags.
Posted By: SnowyMountaineer Re: Tent warmth - 04/08/19
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
There might be a difference, but there are a lot of variables.

I used to have a Trango-2. It was a legit 4-season tent. It stayed pretty darn warm inside at sub freezing temps, just from body heat of two people.

With a typical 3-season tent, maybe not much difference.

+1
Posted By: 340boy Re: Tent warmth - 04/08/19
In my experience using one-man 4-season tents I could count on a temp differential of between 10 and 20 degrees warmer inside the tent, at least during subzero conditions. When I use a two man mountaineering tent, but am still solo, I don't think I get quite the warmth, maybe 10 degrees difference, max?
YMMV and all that.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Tent warmth - 04/10/19
Originally Posted by fubarguy
Not unless you all fart a lot!

Seriously, an old army tick was to burn a candle in the tent an hour or so before getting into your bags.

Right. I use a candle lantern to warm the tent and drive any dampness out. Doesn't take much. Use a citronella candle in bug season. The little collapsible candle lanterns can hang from a loop or string and safer than an open candle.
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Tent warmth - 04/11/19
There’s a huge difference in temp with the tents I use. The stevensens warmlite is fixed double wall with aluminized inner wall and it gets very warm. Breezy three season tents stay about ambient.
Posted By: deflave Re: Tent warmth - 04/11/19
Originally Posted by lawnman
Quick question. Upgrading tents due to my 3 person tent replaced under warranty. Marmot brand. This tent used for car camping only. "Glamping" No packing it in. So question is in colder weather is a 4 man tent going to be colder than a 3 man tent all things considered? Thanks.

No.
Posted By: spatin Re: Tent warmth - 04/11/19
What's a good 4 man 4 season tent to use for hunting in the mountains? I know there are as many opinions as brands and prices, but I'm just looking for something that will be reasonable comfort without having to spend more than around $500. Any ideas or favorites? Something I can find on Amazon.com?
Posted By: Cascade Re: Tent warmth - 04/11/19
This tent from Cabelas kept me warm & dry during a spring hunt in the Brooks Range in Alaska. Shed water, light snow and wind just fine. Very comfortable.
[Linked Image]

Not sure if it's still available, or what the model is. The tent was outfitter-supplied and was clearly better in bad weather than my own three-season lightweight backpacking tent.

Guy
Posted By: deflave Re: Tent warmth - 04/12/19
Originally Posted by spatin
What's a good 4 man 4 season tent to use for hunting in the mountains? I know there are as many opinions as brands and prices, but I'm just looking for something that will be reasonable comfort without having to spend more than around $500. Any ideas or favorites? Something I can find on Amazon.com?

To backpack? I wouldn't be looking at four season tents unless you're counting tipi styles. But $500 ain't going to get you there.

If you want shelter and free standing and a floor, Big Agnes Copper Creeks are outstanding. If I was going to hunt with four guys and get I'd get two 3-man's and get after it.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Tent warmth - 04/12/19
A good 4 man 4 season is gonna run you a heck of a lot more than 500 bucks, unfortunately. I agree with Travis(and) that unless you are going late season into high elevations a 3-season would probably work just fine. Less money and less weight to pack in, also.
+1 on the Copper Creeks. My hiking buddies love theirs.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Tent warmth - 04/14/19
The 4-season tents do tend to get weighty. The Trango-2 weighed about 9.5 lbs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Tent warmth - 04/14/19
I've yet to sleep in a tent that was "too good" or "too warm".

Round THE fhuqk up...not down.

Hint.....................
© 24hourcampfire