Home
Garmin inReach Mini or Garmin inReach Explorer+ 2-Way Satellite Communicator?

Had lunch today with a hunting buddy that is leaving for Alaska tonight, he was telling me he was again using a Garmin inReach mini. Ed is a real technical guy that researches anything he uses and he swears by the inReach Mini.

My question for anyone that has used one how do they compare to the Garmin inReach Explorer+ 2-Way Satellite Communicator?

I use a Garmin 64st GPS have used this style GPS for years and like them, does the inReach Explorer+ 2-Way Satellite Communicator do everything the Mini will do for communicating with others? Does this unit do what my 64st GPS does?

It would be great to have just one unit instead of 2..

Thanks to anyone that has info
It won't do everything your 64 can because you can't use a chip. The 66i does though and it is also an inReach.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
It won't do everything your 64 can because you can't use a chip. The 66i does though and it is also an inReach.

Good to know!! I use the xmaps chip!
Hey OW-
Outdoor GearLab website did a comparison and the results are posted at this site:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-personal-locator-beacon

Has good things to say about both of the Explorer and the MIni...preferred the Mini by a little bit.
Joe
Originally Posted by MO2AZ
Hey OW-
Outdoor GearLab website did a comparison and the results are posted at this site:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-personal-locator-beacon

Has good things to say about both of the Explorer and the MIni...preferred the Mini by a little bit.
Joe

I read that comparison and in some ways I agree it's better to keep the devices separate but on the other hand I am happy with my Geovid's that combine range finder and binoculars.
Are you taking a phone? Just use OnX on your phone and Bluetooth your inreach to your phone when needed. No service required.
I do care my iphone but winter hunts I find the touch screen hard to use that one reason I still carry my Garmin 64.
TAG
Anyone have experience with how sensitive the receiver is in the InReach Mini? That is, will it work under a canopy or do you have to be out in the open?
I had a "regular" inReach for about a year (after three years of using a SPOT)- great device, but I use my phone for my GPS (Gaiagps) so it was a little redundant on the GPS end of things; then the Mini came out at half the weight. Found a guy who wanted to trade (regular for a Mini) and have owned the Mini for a little over a year and am very satisfied with it.

The Mini has no problem working under a canopy (at least a typical western forest canopy- rain forest canopy?). Sometimes (adventure races) I put it in tracking mode so folks can follow my progress (or lack thereof!) and it works fine in thick canopy or even in very deep draws.

It's probably the most useful 3 oz of stuff I carry smile
My mini works under a tarp in Georgia Appalachian woods. I’ve had both and miss the long battery life of the Explorer
Don
Thanks, y'all. I got a mini, just testing it out.
© 24hourcampfire