Home
Posted By: 163bc Backpack for hunting - 09/10/19
Looking for recommendations for a tough durable pack that can function as a hunting pack, travel bag, and bug out bag. I’ve chewed up several of the better known standard grade hunting packs so I’m thinking a military grade pack that can do it all might be better. Been looking hard at Mystery Ranch and Kifaru. Thoughts n opinions welcomed. Thanks
Posted By: handwerk Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/10/19
Have you tried Stone Glacier yet? I sure like mine
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/10/19
Originally Posted by handwerk
Have you tried Stone Glacier yet? I sure like mine

X2
Posted By: 163bc Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/10/19
looked at Stone Glacier. i'm sure they are well built but i didn't see anything on their site i really liked. What model pack are you guys running??
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/10/19
Sky 5900
Posted By: Brad Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/10/19
Personally, I don't find the Stone Glacier packs comfortable, but I don't like fits-all frames. The SG packs feel like a stiff "trapper nelson"or "Alice" frame to my back. MR packs are "ok", but again, have gone to a fits all frame system. I definitely like MR over the SG packs. Of those you mention, I'd go Kifaru, hand's down. I far and away prefer the ability to fine-tune stays to get the fit I want.

However, I'd go with a Seek Outside pack over any of them. I dislike a few of the changes they've made, but they're damn comfortable and well thought out, as well as being light.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/10/19
Whenever someone lists tough and durable as top criteria for a backpack, I immediately think MR. Of all the packs I’ve owned and used, they are well made and over built.

That said, for a variety of reasons, I no longer own any MR packs. Like Brad, I’m in the Seek Outside fan club. I’ve been using a SO Evolution since they were introduced and have no desire for anything else. I’m not crazy about some of the recent ‘improvements’ either, but if for some reason I needed a new pack tomorrow, I’d be pulling up their website.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/11/19
I am also using the sky 5900, so far I've packed out both elk and mule deer and it's done very well.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/11/19
I went through this a couple of years ago and had the same options. Went with a Seek Outside and couldn’t be happier. I got the 4800 Uniweep. I can’t recommend it enough.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/11/19
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Whenever someone lists tough and durable as top criteria for a backpack, I immediately think MR. Of all the packs I’ve owned and used, they are well made and over built.

That said, for a variety of reasons, I no longer own any MR packs. Like Brad, I’m in the Seek Outside fan club. I’ve been using a SO Evolution since they were introduced and have no desire for anything else. I’m not crazy about some of the recent ‘improvements’ either, but if for some reason I needed a new pack tomorrow, I’d be pulling up their website.

I'm with this guy. If my Paradox Evolution croaked tomorrow, I'd simply order whatever they currently offer that most closely resembles my Evo.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/11/19
What's the consensus of the Exo packs?
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/11/19
Originally Posted by Brad
Personally, I don't find the Stone Glacier packs comfortable, but I don't like fits-all frames. The SG packs feel like a stiff "trapper nelson"or "Alice" frame to my back. MR packs are "ok", but again, have gone to a fits all frame system. I definitely like MR over the SG packs. Of those you mention, I'd go Kifaru, hand's down. I far and away prefer the ability to fine-tune stays to get the fit I want.

However, I'd go with a Seek Outside pack over any of them. I dislike a few of the changes they've made, but they're damn comfortable and well thought out, as well as being light.

Which Stone Glacier frames have you packed with?
Posted By: Brad Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/11/19
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Which Stone Glacier frames have you packed with?

I’ve loaded up with weight and tramped around in a shop with the bulk of the available frames... I’ve driven past their shop (which is just around the corner from Mystery Ranch) nearly every day for the past three years... For me, no thank you.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/11/19
Brad,

I know your back/preferences are a bit different than most, have you tried the XCurve with the new stays?

We did a very in-depth user evaluation of available packs a couple years ago, everyone that had a viable offering was represented (something like 36-38 packs), and by far the highest rated pack was a Stone Glacier. Over a year long, 44 guys with each one being educated on pack wear and setup, then using each pack during work, mountain training etc.

Second highest rated was a Kifaru.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/11/19
It's true, packs are like boots, they've got to fit your body or the best pack in the world will be uncomfortable. I stick with my Kifaru because the hip belt and big lumbar pad just work right for me with a heavy load. I have a Seek Outside, I like it and it's a great pack but the lumbar pad is different so whenever I carry a heavy load my hip muscles crater.
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/11/19
I’ve packed the Stone Glacier X Curve frame a long ways. There is not a pack I’ve used (osprey, Arc’teryx, North Face, eberlestock, Mystery Ranch) that compares. The Stone Glacier is by far the most comfortable pack I’ve used. One caveat. When I first got it and put it on with weight in it in my living room I just about sent it back. Glad I didn’t.
Posted By: stealthgoat Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/11/19
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
... Second highest rated was a Kifaru.

Which Kifaru frame / pack was favorite? I am a Kifaru fan, but haven't tried the newest stuff

thanks,
Tim
Posted By: Holston Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/12/19
How much weight are you planning on carrying? How much volume is needed?

Hauling meat?

I like my Kifaru Mtn Warrior and Duplex frame. Does everything I can imagine I'll need out of a pack.

Hill People Gear makes some really nice stuff as well. I have a couple of their smaller bags, but haven't tried their bigger offerings.

I have no experience with SG or MR, but they're probably on par with the above for durability.

Where are you located in VA?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/12/19
I can only speak to what I use, and the Kifaru is a solid pack.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/12/19
Originally Posted by 163bc
Looking for recommendations for a tough durable pack that can function as a hunting pack, travel bag, and bug out bag. I’ve chewed up several of the better known standard grade hunting packs so I’m thinking a military grade pack that can do it all might be better. Been looking hard at Mystery Ranch and Kifaru. Thoughts n opinions welcomed. Thanks

I'm going to be negative. You sound like you have high standards / expectations. I don't think you're going to find a pack that meets your expectations for all three uses. I believe you'd be ahead to specialize by finding the pack that works the best for you for each purpose. Even for a single purpose, a hunting pack for instance, finding one that both works GREAT as a day pack while hunting and works GREAT for hauling meat, rather than being a compromise for one or both uses, is pretty challenging. If someone offers a suggestion, it may work well for them but not for other people for those uses. What does "travel bag" mean to you vs what does it mean to me? Bug out .. from what, to where, in what conditions? So I'd figure out what, specifically, each of those uses means to you. What you assume / intend to mean and what I think you mean might be completely, laughably different. Then just find the best for your use. I think you'll be happier specializing that making so many compromises that what you wind up with isn't very functional for anything.

Tom
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/12/19
Originally Posted by stealthgoat

Which Kifaru frame / pack was favorite? I am a Kifaru fan, but haven't tried the newest stuff

thanks,
Tim

IIRC it is a Tactical frame, and the DT2 was the bag. The AMR was also in contention. Really good packs.

The SG R3 3300 was chosen for a 3-5 day, and the DT2 as the 5+ day. However, the R3 5900 is filling the 5+ day role now.
Posted By: jmsdad Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/12/19
Buy a pack/bag for each purpose.

What I eventually settled on over the years buying/testing and using most of the top packs (MR, SG, Kifaru, Exo). I haven't had the need to try Seek Outside yet.

From top...2nd gen Kifaru hunter frame, brown pack is Kifaru 14'r, middle is Stone Glacier Krux frame and last is Stone Glacier Krux frame with a few mods

[Linked Image]

My go to pack for the last 2yrs....modified SG Krux frame with bent/curved aluminum stays to fit my back profile, Kifaru shoulder straps and hip belt.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 163bc Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/12/19

Originally Posted by Holston
How much weight are you planning on carrying? How much volume is needed?

Hauling meat?

I like my Kifaru Mtn Warrior and Duplex frame. Does everything I can imagine I'll need out of a pack.

Hill People Gear makes some really nice stuff as well. I have a couple of their smaller bags, but haven't tried their bigger offerings.

I have no experience with SG or MR, but they're probably on par with the above for durability.

Where are you located in VA?

Mostly needed as a hunting pack with the ability to be used as a carry on and EDC. Meat packing ability is a plus. Mule deer, elk, a lot of deer hunting. I don’t like anything w external frames. Leaning towards Kifaru X-ray or Myster Ranch 3 day assault so far. Can’t seem to find anything that beats them for my needs. I’m in northern Va.
Posted By: Holston Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/12/19
Gotcha.

Can’t help much on internal frames.

Making sure you weren’t local to me, I’d let you try a couple out.
Posted By: KC Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/12/19

163bc:

IMHO anything that might try to accomplish all of your goals will be a compromise at best. It will do many things sort of OK but it won't do anything great.

If you're going to use something that's a compromise I suggest that you might want to combine a travel pack and a bugout bag. Those uses seem compatible.

But for a hunting pack, you ought to get a hunting pack and use it as a hunting pack. My current go to hunting pack is KUIU Ultra 5500 full kit. But there are other good hunting packs on the market and several have been suggested in previous responses to your post.

KC
Posted By: stealthgoat Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/13/19
Originally Posted by stealthgoat

thanks,
Tim

IIRC it is a Tactical frame, and the DT2 was the bag. The AMR was also in contention. Really good packs.

The SG R3 3300 was chosen for a 3-5 day, and the DT2 as the 5+ day. However, the R3 5900 is filling the 5+ day role now.

thank you sir. Hard to believe, but wasn't that long ago a Tac Tailor Malice with a bazillion pockets was as good as it got : - )
Posted By: stealthgoat Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/13/19
... Leaning towards Kifaru X-ray or Myster Ranch 3 day assault so far. Can’t seem to find anything that beats them for my needs. I’m in northern Va. ..

I wish you were closer, as I have an X-ray you could try. I have had several X-rays over the years, and really like it as day or even overnight pack, but I personally don't think it's a great choice for heavy meat hauling. Another pack that I seem to take out more on day hikes now is an old issued London Bridge Geronimo - it's heavy but it fits me well, and I like the pocket lay-out. But again, I don't think it's optimal for heavy meat.

Tim
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/17/19

I agree with this. My Seek Outside packs are so comfortable, so light and so strong that they just check all of the boxes for me. I've also used Kifaru in various configurations over the years and still have a couple, which I love. They are just flat-out durable. I've tried all brands mentioned in this thread. The Seek Outside/Paradox and Kifaru are two brands of which I always have at least one.

Pack fit; however, is a very individual matter. One man's most comfortable may be another's worst ever. The good thing about these threads is that usually, quality packs are being recommended. Individual comfort might only be discovered through a very expensive endeavor. If one is lucky he has a friend or two who have a couple of different brands one can try.

Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/17/19
I answered in my prior post with the mindset of a hunting backpack after reading through the entire thread. I then went back and read the OP wherein the criteria were:
Looking for recommendations for a tough durable pack that can function as a hunting pack, travel bag, and bug out bag.

I am confident in recommending Kifaru to fit those criteria.
Posted By: pgsalton Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/17/19
I've used Kifaru, Granite Gear, Seek Outside and Stone glacier packs. The Seek outside is far and a away the best when carrying heavier loads. That said I use the Stone Glacier for day hunts because it cinches up the tightest for a compact load. However, the Stone Glacier is just plain awful for heavy loads. It is so narrow that it sways and is unstable with loads over 100 pounds. Not really good for hunts where you carry your camping gear and expect/hope to carry meat. Patrick
Posted By: addicted Re: Backpack for hunting - 09/29/19
I have two MR packs, but only had the internal frame and I was planning on packing out elk, so I swallowed my pride and bought a Kifaru Reckoning with 26” Lite frame and loved it.

Packed in/out 70 pounds and it was effortless on my back.
What do you guys find the life expectancy is on packs? Obviously it depends on the wear and tear, I've had some cheaper packs dry rot after a few years being stored in my closet,
Posted By: headwatermike Re: Backpack for hunting - 10/06/19
I own and have used for years: an Alice pack, a couple of Mystery Ranch, a couple of Stone Glacier, and many more older packs (even an old McHale). My favorite of those is the Stone Glacier. The weight, strength, and comfort is the best combo of those. I've never carried a pack that made a 100+ pound load comfortable and I think I'm just too old to carry very heavy loads any more--my hips just groan anymore from such weight. But of those, the SG packs handle it as well as any for me.
Posted By: fallscreek Re: Backpack for hunting - 10/31/19
I'd agree with the suggestions to separate hunting and the other uses. I appreciate the recommendations and ideas here but surprised I don't see Badlands packs suggested for hunting use. They are the most durable pack I've had, and comfortable for me under any load size. They are also made out of material that doesn't make as much noise when going through heavy cover, which is most of my hunting when in bad weather. Checks all the boxes of hydration compatible, internal frame, etc.
I have the 2200 and will be looking this year for a smaller pack for day hunts.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Backpack for hunting - 11/02/19
I’m happy with my SG with Xcurve frame. I’ve only hauled 6-7 Blacktail down mountains with it so far but no complaints.
Posted By: starsky Re: Backpack for hunting - 11/02/19
Badlands can’t hang.
You might want to take a look at the MR Pop Up 28. I bought and used one for the first time this year on a Wyoming pronghorn hunt. I think it punches all your tickets. As others have stated, it's tough and very well built. Comfort in a pack is very subjective and each pack/individual is different. For me, the PU28 fits and rides very comfortably. YMMV, but I trained with it all summer with loads to 70 lbs and I'm sure it could handle another 20 or so. Since you probably are referring to mostly eastern whitetail hunting, the pack is fairly slim so as not to protrude from your sides while negotiating in thick woods. I put a whole deboned and frozen antelope in mine and it fit quite easily in the airline overhead for the trip home. As a bonus, it also has a meat shelf and expandable frame that I'm told will handle an entire deboned Muley or an elk quarter. I'm very pleased with it.
Good luck with your decision.

Post Script: So, I just noticed the OP is from back in Sept. and I assume you've already made your choice. Curious as to which way you went...
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Backpack for hunting - 11/13/19
I have a kifaru and a stone glacier I have not used an exo or a week outside enough to really comment on them. I have tried them but never put weight in them and done an extended trip.

As for the kifaru and stone glacier I really lean towards the stone glacier. For me, the stone glacier fits just as well as the kifaru and carries weight just as well, I just don’t see the downside to stone glacier packs since they are comfortable and carry well for me.

Kifaru makes good stuff but I find my pack to be heavy and complex, with like 8 straps, pockets strapped on etc my kifaru weighs about 5 lbs more than my stone glacier pack and like I said its pretty complex.

I’m not saying I don’t like the kifaru, I am saying that I find the stone glacier to suit my needs while being more streamlined and lighter in weight.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Backpack for hunting - 11/13/19
The MR Pintler has been very good to me. I like it!

Posted By: Greyghost Re: Backpack for hunting - 11/30/19
If you don't want to spend a lot 5.11 tactical isn't bad.

Link

Phil
© 24hourcampfire