Home
Posted By: Calvin Tipi sizes - 10/13/19
Looking for a tipi for family use. 5 of us. Kids are young, but need room as they grow. Seek outside 12 or Kifaru 12 about the right size? Would be used for the occasional backpack trip too for moose hunting. No crazy miles though.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Tipi sizes - 10/14/19
A 12 would probably serve you well if you want to put everyone in one shelter.

We have a Seek 12-man, here are some pics of it pitched to give an idea of size.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: handwerk Re: Tipi sizes - 10/14/19
I agree on the 12 man, I just got back from a Wyoming hunt with my 3 adult kids and I in my SO 6 man, with a stove it worked but kinda tight and we didn't have a ton of gear in there with us...and we still get along.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Tipi sizes - 10/14/19
5 in a 6 man kifaru is tight for sure. With a stove would be too tight IMHO. ITs great for 1-2 and spacious.

I'd probably think that a 12 man and no smaller for your needs
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Tipi sizes - 10/15/19
An 8 person would work for smaller kids but a 12 gives them room to grow to keep them all under one roof.

Kevin
Posted By: AHM Re: Tipi sizes - 10/26/19
I think an 8-man is fine. if you are packing it around, it's lighter. We spike camp often 4-5 days with 5 full grown men and gear in an 8 man (with stove). a small tarp and tyvek sheets for floor (and we have the inner liner too). If you're camping out of the car and bringing tables, cots, and heavier stoves, why a tipi? Another thing to think about is footprint needed. a 12 man tipi footprint is pretty big. An 8-man with another 8x10 tarp for an outside lean-to shoudl work great..... but I think maybe I'm more on the minimal light weight hunting side vs. what you might be using it for. 8 man is pretty big, but I get the 12 man adds that extra comfort. We use an 8 man Kifaru (probaby 12+ years old). Maybe differences between brands, but I swear our 8 man looks as big as the pictures of the 12 man above..... so check dimensions etc...
$.02
Posted By: VernAK Re: Tipi sizes - 10/26/19
The 12 man for sure Calvin!

I've been running my Kifaru 12 and a Titanium 4 Dog for 13 years.......under 20 lbs for the two......
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Tipi sizes - 10/27/19
Calvin you have a PM
© 24hourcampfire