Home
Posted By: The_Yetti Best socks - 02/07/20
Like everything on the fire, I know there will be a wide range of opinions on this topic, but what is everyone using fro backpack hunting socks? Do you use a sock/liner combo, or just a sock? Trying to dial in everything while it's still cold so I can give it a run in conditions similar to what I may experience in the fall. Thanks for the help in advance!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Best socks - 02/07/20
I don't always use liners, but when I do, I use Injinji Toe Socks. I like the wool version. And then Darn Tough wool socks.
Posted By: KC Re: Best socks - 02/07/20

I use SmartWool socks and I don't use liners.
Posted By: GregW Re: Best socks - 02/07/20
I don't use liners. I use Kenetrek socks exclusively.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Best socks - 02/07/20
Smartwool with sock liners... just TRY the liners before you decide they don't work (they DO)!!!
Posted By: buffybr Re: Best socks - 02/07/20
In over 50 years of big game hunting mostly in Colorado and Montana, and also numerous hunts in Canada, Africa, New Zealand, Alaska, and Azerbaijan, which included a dozen or more backpack hunts for Bighorn and Dall sheep and Mountain goats, and also 10 years as a ski instructor and pro patrolman at Loveland Basin and Steamboat ski areas in Colorado... the only socks that I have ever worn are the basic white cotton that you can buy for $1 or less a pair at Walmart.

Ok, let the flaming begin...
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Ive been really happy with Dahlgren alpaca wool socks, for most of my hunting!
Posted By: 805 Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Darn tough socks have been very good for me.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Darn Tough!
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Thanks for all the suggestions, ordered a few different darn tough socks to try, along with some Injinji Toe Sock liners and some Fox River X static liners to give it a try!
Posted By: efw Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
The Darn Tough hunting socks are FANTASTIC!
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Darn Tough
Smartwool
Costco

In that order
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Ditto...
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Smartwool merino wool socks, warm in winter and cool in summer itchless really love them. I wear them without liners and have never gotten blisters.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Yes, you must try a pair of these. They will "walk dry" if you need to, as they are not pure wool but rather a combination of wicking synthetics in certain areas with alpaca wool in the others to pull moisture up and out.

They make a standard wool sock feel like a wet bath towel.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Darn Tough
Posted By: ejo Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Farm to feet and darn tough.
Posted By: longarm Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Darn Tough all the way
Posted By: lightning Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Yes, you must try a pair of these. They will "walk dry" if you need to, as they are not pure wool but rather a combination of wicking synthetics in certain areas with alpaca wool in the others to pull moisture up and out.

Do they sell these at any retail brick and mortar stores, or online only? I will have to pick up a few pair and give them a try.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Smartwool guy myself, with Smartwool liners. I've tried many different sock and sock liner combos and keep coming back to the Smartwool PhD series with Smartwool liners. In addition to hunting, I put on 3-400 miles a year in the Smokys just hiking. Leukatape, Smartwool liners, Smartwool PhD socks keeps me blister free. We routinely do 15+ mile days, my pack weighs 20.1 lbs with water. It works for me.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
I have a 50/50 mix of Darn Tough and Smartwool. I don't really have a preference between the two, both great socks. I would like to try those Alpaca socks.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Smartwool and Lorpen worked good for me. Gander Mtn. ( when they were around) used to carry Smartwool.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
The only socks besides Darn Tough I wear are Wright Socks.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
I'm a Darn Tough convert. I never could wrap my head around how much better a $20 pair of socks could be but I have about a dozen pairs now.
Posted By: saskfox Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
I like the smart wool ones the best.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Best socks - 02/08/20
Synthetic or smart wool with knee high heavy panty hose as liners. After hiking for 50 years in every possible sock combo, still the best.

The only way to keep insulation, both sock and boot, truly dry is with a vapor/water proof barrier on each side, which means beneath the sock. I don’t like doing that.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Best socks - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by lightning
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Do they sell these at any retail brick and mortar stores, or online only? I will have to pick up a few pair and give them a try.

I get them online!
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Best socks - 02/09/20
I wear Smartwools every day. I wear the ultra lights as dress socks with slacks and loafers to work.
Posted By: Stilllearning Re: Best socks - 02/09/20
I’ve used and like both smartwool and darn tough. I find the darn tough to be more durable.
I tried the injinji liner socks , but thought my feet got colder with them.
Posted By: Judman Re: Best socks - 02/09/20
I've done the cotton socks, as that's what we had growing up. Other than good boots, socks are the second best investment a guy can do, imo. Kenetrek here....
Posted By: kingston Re: Best socks - 02/09/20
Point 6 and Rohner
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Best socks - 02/09/20
No liners, socks are darn tough or kuiu Marino.
Posted By: Old_Man Re: Best socks - 02/09/20
I have both the heavy weight marino wool socks, and alpaca socks. Overall, considering the alpaca socks are thinner, they seem as warm as the thicker marino wool, but in terms of comfortable wear, the alpaca win hands down.

This was my first year deer hunting with the alpacas, and being a statioary stand hunter I think it was a fair test. I'll be trying them again next season, when the winter will hopefully be colder than the 30 degrees wo had this year.... I won't be storing the marino wool socks just yet.
Posted By: battue Re: Best socks - 02/09/20
Cabela's or LL Beans. Whatever they have on the rack that is fuzzy. Have tried the Smartwoll, but NBD. Move around a lot so little problem in keeping feet warm. Friend raves on the alpacas for comfort.

Moving around, feet stay dryer and warmer in uninsulated boots vs insulated.
Posted By: SKane Re: Best socks - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by kingston
Point 6

This is a good one that I rarely see bandied about here.
I have a mix of Smart Wool, Farm to Feet and Darn Tough and can't claim any are heads/tails above the other.

I wear a liner a fair bit too and have become smitten with the injinji liners.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Best socks - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by buffybr
In over 50 years of big game hunting mostly in Colorado and Montana, and also numerous hunts in Canada, Africa, New Zealand, Alaska, and Azerbaijan, which included a dozen or more backpack hunts for Bighorn and Dall sheep and Mountain goats, and also 10 years as a ski instructor and pro patrolman at Loveland Basin and Steamboat ski areas in Colorado... the only socks that I have ever worn are the basic white cotton that you can buy for $1 or less a pair at Walmart.

You have suffered long enough
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Best socks - 02/10/20
I use a liner and Carhartt boot socks for sheep and goat hunts where I need to fine tune the fit of my boots. Other than that, no liner for me.

I avoid cotton, but otherwise think the whole thing is rather overblown. Darn Tough, Smartwool, or the Costco merino are all close enough to the same.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Best socks - 02/10/20

A wise man once said, the tougher you are, the crappier your gear can be.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Best socks - 02/10/20
Originally Posted by JMR40
Darn Tough
Smartwool
Costco

In that order

That's my preference...
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Best socks - 02/14/20
Smartwool socks and liners. Various thickness for variable conditions.

I will never hike or hunt without liners, JMO
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Best socks - 02/14/20
My feet are pretty...delicate. I've settled on Fox River liners and either Smartwool or REI wool socks. REI won't get my business now but I still use the ones that I have on-hand.
Posted By: tcp Re: Best socks - 02/14/20
There are not many things on this forum that I can claim to have expertise in, but this is one... I have sissy feet attached to a strong will and can guarantee I have had more blisters and lost more toenails than most.

http://www.thermohair.com/Crew-Socks--GREY_p_56.html

I have tried nearly all of the socks listed above and these are superior in all regards.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Best socks - 02/14/20
Originally Posted by tcp
There are not many things on this forum that I can claim to have expertise in, but this is one... I have sissy feet attached to a strong will and can guarantee I have had more blisters and lost more toenails than most.

http://www.thermohair.com/Crew-Socks--GREY_p_56.html

I have tried nearly all of the socks listed above and these are superior in all regards.

I have tried them and yes they are good. My only real complaint is they stretch and are bulky. I tried their ski socks and like them better.
Posted By: RinB Re: Best socks - 02/15/20

Smartwool are pretty fragile...don’t last very long.
I am a convert to injinji toe socks liners...eliminated blisters.
Posted By: fremont Re: Best socks - 02/15/20
I'm using Kenetrek socks and liners and they work well.
Posted By: wilsonn Re: Best socks - 02/15/20
I'll be the odd man out here and say that I really don't care for Darn Tough. They last forever, but don't breath well and dry slow. I like Smartwool PhD (when I can find them on sale) and Defeet wooleators. Usually bring a thicker pair of smartwools or Costco merinos as sleeping socks on overnight trips.
Posted By: tmick Re: Best socks - 02/16/20
I like Smartwool they seem to work for a t least 2-3 seasons then I replace. To me warm feet are really important and high altitude and cold temps.
Posted By: GaryU Re: Best socks - 02/16/20
Try Fitts or Darn Tough in their tactile boot lines. I like them both a lot. Gary U
Posted By: CSBfan Re: Best socks - 02/16/20
Costco all the way. I use them for everything. They change the design every year or so but for the last ten years they've served me well. Darn Tough socks are good but not worth the extra cash, at least for me. I say that as someone who can get DT socks on sale with a pro deal.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Best socks - 03/12/20
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Darn Tough!

Same here, at times with liners and at times without.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Best socks - 03/12/20
I think I have about 20 pairs of Darn Tough socks and no others. I've accumulated these over the last 10-ish years. Short ones for running. Tall, thick ones for winter. Thin ones, medium hight ones, the list goes on.

Over the ten year period I've sent back three different pairs. Basically socks that developed holes prematurely (in my opinion). In all three case, a new pair were sent out in return, no questions asked. I've chucked out a couple of pairs that were so thread bare you could see through them- no way would I send a pair like that back smile. Multiple years of service is more than can I ask out of a pair of socks.

Never wear a liner, just the appropriate weight/height sock.

Darn Tough makes great socks.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Best socks - 03/12/20
So what makes you guys decide whether to wear a liner or not?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Best socks - 03/12/20
For me it's all about friction and blisters, that's what liners help with. With the boots I use now, I don't need 'em, with other boots sometimes I do.

I think in hot weather some guys like synthetic liners to move sweat out away from their feet.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Best socks - 03/12/20
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I think I have about 20 pairs of Darn Tough socks and no others. I've accumulated these over the last 10-ish years. Short ones for running. Tall, thick ones for winter. Thin ones, medium hight ones, the list goes on.

Over the ten year period I've sent back three different pairs. Basically socks that developed holes prematurely (in my opinion). In all three case, a new pair were sent out in return, no questions asked. I've chucked out a couple of pairs that were so thread bare you could see through them- no way would I send a pair like that back smile. Multiple years of service is more than can I ask out of a pair of socks.

My experience with Darn Tough mirrors yours to a T. Great company
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Best socks - 03/13/20
Looks like some great socks.

Made right here in the USA.
Posted By: chamois Re: Best socks - 03/13/20
There are many good socks like the ones tht have been mentioned. Most important consideration, for me, is fit. Alwasy tight-ish and never loose as any small wrinkle or crease will destroy your foot.

Opposite to what I think about boot size, always a bit loose to avoid any compression in your feet when they swell due to the heating during excercise,

Posted By: M1Garand Re: Best socks - 03/13/20
There are a lot of good sock brands, you probably can't go wrong with a quality pair. Liners though....I've hunted, hiked and backpacked with and without them. I can take or leave them in warm weather, but in cold weather, they're invaluable because if your feet sweat at all, they will get cold. The liners wick away the moisture and prevent that and my feet stay warmer.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Best socks - 03/14/20
Originally Posted by smokepole
I don't always use liners, but when I do, I use Injinji Toe Socks. I like the wool version. And then Darn Tough wool socks.

Tried these out today, took a while for the liners to come in, but did a good hike in them today. Was very skeptical at first, but so far I'm sold. Darn tough socks are awesome as well!
Posted By: Puddle Re: Best socks - 03/14/20
Originally Posted by mtwarden

I wear my DT's 6 days a week in my conditioning regimen. A 100 miles a month, every month. The last pair I sent in for replacement was more than 1,400 miles ago...

Wish I could say that about the soles of my boots.....
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Best socks - 03/14/20
Not a scientific or comprehensive test, but 4 years ago I tested most of the top brands of socks and liners. For me, it was hands down, Darn Tough Socks with no liners.

4 years later, I have yet to send a pair back due to wear and tear.

I am involved in a project in Andes Mountains where my boots and socks have to perform.

I use the COOLMAX® BOOT SOCK FULL CUSHION. I have had zero issues with these socks.
Posted By: Theeck Re: Best socks - 03/19/20
Darn Tough for me. In cold weather, I like their over-the-calf models.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Best socks - 03/21/20
Two that I haven’t seen mentioned are Boyt Harness Company’s heavy weight socks and some of the Browning line.

I passed through Morgan, Utah, in early fall, bought a pair at the factory store to try. Used them several times hunting elk and chukars. On trip back through, bought four more pairs. I’ve since used them a lot in cold conditions and haven’t tried any that were better. These are 81% Merino wool, 17% nylon, 2% Spandex.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Best socks - 03/21/20
Look at ThorLos military boot socks - that's all I've used for 30+years of military and hunting use
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Best socks - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Look at ThorLos military boot socks - that's all I've used for 30+years of military and hunting use

So you have nothing to compare to!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Best socks - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by Offshoreman

Are those synthetics or wool? I had some synthetic Thorlos years ago. Very well-made and comfortable but they made my feet feel clammy when I sweated, unlike a good wool sock.

I'm not a fan of synthetic socks.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Best socks - 03/21/20
I got a few pair of Darn Tough's to try out. Good thread.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Best socks - 03/21/20

I realize this is an older post, but this is how I roll too and have never had an issue, nor a reason to change.

Maybe my feet don't sweat as much as other peoples...or maybe I don't notice as much discomfort as others...but I have never worn anything other than Wally World special socks, even on extended backcountry hunts. I do have some thicker socks I'll wear on late season snowy hunts, but they're nothing special either. Just thicker.

I honestly don't even remember the last time I had a blister on my feet from hiking.
Posted By: 1100RemingtonMan Re: Best socks - 03/27/20
I like Smartwool Sox and Darn Tough Sox and only wear a liner when it’s cold like below 0 F
Posted By: Pilgs Re: Best socks - 03/28/20
I've used Darn Tough, Smartwool, Kenetrek(merino wool), First Lite, and Fits. I really like the First Lite compression because they go up to the knee and stay tight. I also like Fits. Those are my top choices out of everything I've used.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Best socks - 03/28/20
I ordered some First Lite socks since I was ordering some other stuff from them as well and I really like them as well.
Posted By: gutthooked Re: Best socks - 04/03/20
I like darn tough socks, short ones for everyday and knee for hunting.
© 24hourcampfire