Home
I'll start by saying I'm not advocating for doing anything unsafe, or using guns as a fidget toy. But in thinking of this post idea my brain started warming me of ways to misconstrue it, so I'm sure someone else will read it and have a concern.

Outside of range usage and actual shooting, dry fire practice and other unloaded handling is the 3rd or so best way to acquaint yourself with a firearm. Right? Maybe I'm forgetting something obvious and it's 4th best, but it has to be in the top 5. Pick up a gun, perform a safety check, work the action, manipulate controls, dry-fire if acceptable. Rinse. Repeat.

Now, I'll argue that this is fun, because a gun owner likes their guns, or because the activity is itself satisfying. And some guns - through superior ergonomics, or smooth-as-glass actions, or hammers, decockers, and safeties that make satisfying clicks - are more fun than others.

So I'm curious what you'd rate as the most satisfying, or comforting, or fun (however you want to word it) gun to handle - outside of shooting. The handgun forum probably offers the most variety, so that's why the post is here. But don't be scared to mention a levergun.

Large bore revolvers.

Large bore lever actions.

Precision rifle bolt actions.

M4.

Sig Sauer semi-autos.
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Large bore revolvers.

Large bore lever actions.

Precision rifle bolt actions.

M4.

Sig Sauer semi-autos.

Yep. Revolvers, leverguns, and Sig P-series with decockers were high on my list, too. M4/AR didn't make it only because i haven't used one enough. Bolt-actions got a pass for leverguns, but i'm now remembering a Vetterli rifle and feeling giddy when i realized pulling the bolt back a little further actuated the elevator. Thanks for replying, SheriffJoe.

Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/20/20
Handguns - double action revolvers.

Rifles - lever actions.

And, since we're not limited to handguns, don't forget pump action shotguns!
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/20/20
I recall being intrigued by the action of the Model 37 Ithaca pump, the way feeding and ejection interacted in opposite directions with the same port under the receiver. Very cool, kind of like watching slight of hand.

I sometimes wish I had kept mine.

Paul
UNLOADED Ruger New Model single action revolvers (while watching westerns is a bonus)
Posted By: RGK Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/20/20
A nice 1st gen SAA. This one is from 1901.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Bolt

Lever

Revolver

Pump

Almost forgot to mention the satisfying action of the Ithaca M-87 D.S. Police Special over the current off-the-rack offerings.
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Immaculate.
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

This is number 1 for me on the list. And really, any similar revolver that does the click-click-click-click.........BOOM!

Second is a good CRF Win or Ruger Bolt. All that I have used have been slick as schitt, even using cartridges like the WSM's.

Third is a good slicked up lever gun. I like the feel of a broken-in Marlin the best, but the Winchester 94's are far more smooth right out of the box.

I've shot many pump guns, but never found them satisfying. Effective, yes. Fast, yes. Not satisfying. Exactly the same for semi-autos.
Tie: tuned Smith and Wesson K and N frames/ Colt Pythons

RS
Python.

Everything I think some revolver is smooth, I pick up the Python.
Smooooooooooth!

Single action Rugers (smoothed, not Ruger rough)

1911. It's just.....I don't know, like holding my wife's hand.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/20/20
Just about anything but a Block (glock)
Posted By: RJM Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/20/20
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

...always the man with the right answer...
Posted By: EdM Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/20/20
At the moment I am at my place in north Idaho where there are some firearms. Next to me is a Colt Officers Model Target. It has a beautiful action.
My Glocks 19s are what I have on me at all times so rate the most dryfire practice. I do ready-up drills w/ my AR as part of my workout routine. My Tikka T3 Lite is my main hunting rifle and gets off hand sighting drills about once/week. The good trigger and smooth action of the Tikka is probably the most sensual but the confidence gained from constant practice w/ the G19 is the most satisfying.

mike r
Posted By: RGK Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/21/20
These are kinda nice to play with.
Bob

Posted By: TheKid Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/21/20
I was going to list the 1886/71 action. Smooth but tight and positive, a sharp “snick!” At each end of the lever throw.

A Krag lends a similar feel but in a bolt rifle.
Slicked up 1911 or a Mannlicher stocked Ruger from the '90's in .257 Bob not mine but a hunting buddies who (stole) err.. bought it for $249.37 due to clerk failure to operate register correctly. It's out for the world to see now Neal!
Swiss Lugers are cool.
Bob

Posted By: cwh2 Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/21/20
Now you're just bragging...

But please, don't stop.
How about a REALLY nice pre-war (1935) Smith? Very satisfying.
Bob

In handguns a Colt SAA or Ruger Old Model, in rifles an original well used Winchester Model 71 and a Shiloh Sharps. There is nothing like dropping that big lever on the Shiloh
Posted By: GF1 Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/21/20
A tuned-up Smith

Model 12 Winchester, Remington Model 31 (“ball bearing” pump)

Pre-war Model 70 Winchester

Beretta SO/ASE 90/ASE Gold/ASEL shotgun
Belgium made A5.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/21/20
Wow. What we are seeing here is the functional elegance of ordinary firearms created by skilled craftsmen in the US and Europe. No "modern materials" or computer driven production processes. Keep in mind that these were production guns, no fancy walnut or engraving. No special orders required, easily obtainable at a reasonable cost. Neither the workers nor their managers gave a thought to their products becoming valuable collectors items.

Time passed and gone forever. There must be a lesson in here somewhere.

Paul
Any Freedom Arms revolver.
Handguns: My K&L frame 357s and my Browning HP
Rifles: my Mannlicher MC 7x57, Savage 99, M1 Garand, and M1 carbine
Shotguns: my M12 12ga and M37 16ga pumps
Posted By: EdM Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/21/20
These two customs are fun to fondle. Both dead tight (line bored) and slick as can be. A Ruger 44 Special and a Smith 45 Colt.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Fotis Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/21/20
1971 S&W 29

Posted By: trplem Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/21/20
What, no love for the M134 Minigun? They even create a bit of a breeze in dry fire.
Originally Posted by RGK
Swiss Lugers are cool.
Bob

That's awesome.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/21/20
Yup it is!!!
Posted By: Remsen Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/21/20
The Swiss make some remarkable weapons. I have a SigArms SHR 970 that is the smoothest bolt action I've ever handled, and right behind that is a WW2 era Swiss K31 that is a marvel of smoothness. Third behind that is an old Enfield, which deserves its reputation for being a quick action.
My '86 Winchester, 1903 and 05 Steyr M/S, Marlin 39A, Model 12 Winchester noisy but smooth my stainless Springfield Armory on its third trigger. I practiced for and shot two years IDPA. The 1911 feels so natural now. Butter smooth. Wish I had one of my department's old 686s with thousands of rounds through them. Smoother than a baby's butt. All double actions should come from the factory that silky slick. Some guns never make it to that kind of slick no matter what you do to them. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Hands down the Rossi M92 lever action -- second place Single Action Army original colt type lockwork.
Colt Single Action Army
N Framed Smiths from the 50’s & 60’s
A nice tight pre 70’s Series Colt 1911
Posted By: RGK Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/22/20
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
A nice tight pre 70’s Series Colt 1911

Colt Government Model, 1931.
Bob

Posted By: Lennie Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/22/20
Model 92 Winchester
Colt Single actions
Ruger number ones
Winchester 1885
Freedom Arms
Custom built Rugers Blackhawks
In no particular order, simply TOO many genius designs that speak quality, loading then closing the barrels on my English built 303 British double rifle is next to heaven, so are:

Colt SAA's
Original '86 and '71 Winchesters
A-5 Belgian Brownings
Colt LW Commander 38 Super
DW and Baer 1911's
Few things can be done with as much personal style as an energetic ejection from a nice break action double...

Just my opinion....
My Bannerman Spencer pump shotgun. It can't be described as 'smooth', but there is really NOTHING else quite like it.
Posted By: RGK Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/25/20
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Few things can be done with as much personal style as an energetic ejection from a nice break action double...

Just my opinion....

English box lock ejector, 12 bore. Nice one for the dove fields
Bob

Posted By: RGK Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/25/20
Rigby Mauser in .375. Mucho nice.
Bob

Posted By: viking Re: Most satisfying gun actions - 07/25/20
A well used 870 Wingmaster, a Savage 99, and nice double action revolver.
Originally Posted by RGK
Rigby Mauser in .375. Mucho nice.
Bob

Superb brightwork!
For me, the most "satisfying" action is the Browning Auto 5's long stroke blow back; so damn cool. For handguns, the Luger's toggle is just slick.
© 24hourcampfire