Home
Posted By: Rolltide Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
I've decided to pick up a smaller framed 357 with a 3" or 4" barrel. I've had 686's and a few other larger framed S&W's, Ruger's and a Colt or two.

I don't want something as big and heavy as those and have been thinking of a 3" barreled S&W 60, a Ruger SP101 or another option, a Kimber K6S DASA. I can't see me carrying it, but at the same time, all of these are lighter than a 686, GP100 or one of the newer Colt's.

Any ideas from those that have had one or more of these?
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
I have the S&W 3" 60, and multiple Ruger SP101's. Love them. Great compromise but plenty of power. I tend to prefer the SP101's.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
I have a 2" Colt Magnum Carry, they don't make it any more but the do make a new King Cobra which is a small frame 6 shot 357, available with 2", 3" & 4" barrels. I love my Magnum Carry. My brother has a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel and it's also a great gun.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
I have a 2" Colt Magnum Carry, they don't make it any more but the do make a new King Cobra which is a small frame 6 shot 357, available with 2", 3" & 4" barrels. I love my Magnum Carry. My brother has a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel and it's also a great gun.

It got to the point that I didn't even think of Colt when looking for a new revolver so I never heard of this but had to check out the 4" adjustable sight version. It is made on the D frame so it should be about like the old Diamondback. At a weight of 36 ounces it's 7 ounces more than a similarly configured SP101.

The Ruger SP101 is a nice smaller revolver. I got to put 50 rounds through my 4" adjustable sight version before sending it back to Ruger but recoil at least from .38 Spl and especially 1000 fps level .357 loads was a lot more comfortable than I was anticipating.

I'm guessing that the King Cobra is a bit bigger overall and the grip in particular looks more full "man's hand" sized than the Ruger. This is good news, even it's more of a Model 19 size than an SP101 size it would still make a great intermediate sized revolver.

Naturally in this market folks are wanting upwards of $850 for one and mostly way upwards into the $1000+ range.
Posted By: duckster Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
I have a S&W Model 60 with 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights. For me, it is the perfect size/weight for a kit gun. I use it at the farm/ranch all the time. I do use it for CCW as well.
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
Ruger LCRx 3 inch
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
The 4.2" SP101 is a nice little revolver. Smaller footprint and not extremely heavy but solid/heavy enough to shoot 357's and enough barrel to have a little less fire-ball..... Good solid little revolver. Hogue grips are a cheap improvement.

If I wanted lighter the 3" LCRx would be the first place I'd look...... I'd really like to pick up a pair of those in .357 and 22 lr.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
I have a like new model 19 that I think is perfect.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
I had a 4.2” SP101, but always wanted a 3” S&W 60- so I bought the Smith and had both at the same time for a short while.

I wanted one or the other primarily as a lightweight trail gun to mostly shoot .38 level loads but with the capability of packing a punch if I so desired. The Ruger was a beefy thing and seemed considerably heavier than the Smith, plus the trigger on the Ruger wasn’t nearly as nice- and that’s after I’d worked them both over, dry fired them thousands of times, and even changed springs.

So I sold the Ruger. I figured if I wanted a heavier gun for mostly .357 loads I would have gone to a S&W 66/686 in the first place and had 6 shot capability too.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
I might add, the S&W didn’t “feel“ that great out of the box, but after I changed the grips and a spring or two, opened up the rear sight window a little with a file, added a white outline with some paint, and put some hot pink on the front sight, it was/is perfect.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
I am still smitten with my three inch Model 60, .357.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
Originally Posted by duckster
I have a S&W Model 60 with 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights. For me, it is the perfect size/weight for a kit gun. I use it at the farm/ranch all the time. I do use it for CCW as well.

Hard to beat right there! I’ve had a couple of them over the years and will definitely own another some day!
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/28/20
My wife has a 2 3/4" S&W 640, it is a .357 but mostly gets fed .38's. I've carried it a few times, I wouldn't be too disappointed if I was carrying something similar all of the time.
Originally Posted by Rolltide
I've decided to pick up a smaller framed 357 with a 3" or 4" barrel. I've had 686's and a few other larger framed S&W's, Ruger's and a Colt or two.

I don't want something as big and heavy as those and have been thinking of a 3" barreled S&W 60, a Ruger SP101 or another option, a Kimber K6S DASA. I can't see me carrying it, but at the same time, all of these are lighter than a 686, GP100 or one of the newer Colt's.

Smallest/lightest that one should go in a .357 Magnum is the Ruger SP101. Even that is brutal with Magnum loads. Anything smaller and lighter is about useless since no one will wish to touch a Magnum round off in one. Forget about a J-Frame made of aluminum or scandium, or the LCR with its plastic parts. You won't touch off a Magnum in one of those more than once.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
Magnum loads in an SP101? No problem, all day long. In the 3" model 60? No problem, but not all day long.

Love that 3" 60 AS. But mine was stolen by that woman who claims to be my wife. When I need a small 357, I get by with the little Ruger.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
Smith model 60 with a 3” barrel. 38 + P loads in 357 cases or low to mid range 357 Mag loads work really well. Great trigger, sight picture, etc. A few years ago I found a 5” model 60 on G/broker which is even easier to shoot
Posted By: TMan Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
I have a 4" SP101, and a 3" M60, both with adjustable sights. I also have a couple Black Hawks, 4 5/8" and 6" and a GP100 6". The M60 and SP are more portable, and both shoot well enough to be a threat to foxes or groundhogs out to 20-30yds, and better shots than I, much farther.. The 6" guns are more effective at 50yds, but are in the way at times. None of them are for sale.

For the shooter wanting "more portable", the 5 shooters are so close, it's a flip of the coin.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
3" S&W. Can't remember if it is Model 60. I get CRS a lot at my age. Sights not adjustable, but I put a Crimson Trace on it.My wife carries the Lady Smith in 38. When I am in the saddle I carry a 4" Ruger Security Six.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
I put maybe 1000 rounds through a 3" M65 Ladysmith I bought "for my wife". .38+P 158s were fine, 180gr .357s pretty stiff. I often carry a 3" M63 around, and the extra inch makes a big difference in usability compared to the snubbie 1 7/8" models. I think an M60, using good +P .38s or handloaded .357 equivalents would be about ideal for a carry revolver. Still, there's a lot to be said for the various compact 9s available now too, one being price. Good revolvers are pricey.

I highly recommend the Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster for 3" J-frames. Gives you several options: IWB, OWB, strong-side or crossdraw, even Tanker-style with the optional straps. The 3" guns are a bit much for pocket carry.
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
3" model 66 or an LCRx both great guns
Posted By: TWR Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
My wife has a 2 3/4" S&W 640, it is a .357 but mostly gets fed .38's. I've carried it a few times, I wouldn't be too disappointed if I was carrying something similar all of the time.

I’ve got a 640 with a 2 1/8” barrel and it shoots much better than one would think. Great guns.
Posted By: z1r Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20

My favorite for carrying, is a 4" Ruger Security Six. Accurate, light, and accurate!
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
My all time favorite smaller frame .357 is a S&W 19 2/12"barrel, W/round butt.

Virgil B.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
The new Colt King Cobra Target seems like it would fit. Colt “D” frame size, 4” barrel, adjustable sights, and a very smooth action.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
I am thinking of getting a 66-2 with a 4" barrel which has been lightly used. I think it is a bit overpriced at 600.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The new Colt King Cobra Target seems like it would fit. Colt “D” frame size, 4” barrel, adjustable sights, and a very smooth action.

Handled a King Cobra for the first time this morning, a 3" fixed sight version.

Con: The sights. The rear notch is too narrow for the front sight so there's little or no daylight around the blade and with the rear notch being silver colored you can't distinguish it clearly anyway. But that's just for the groove rear sight version, hopefully the black adjustable rear sight will be more compatible with a blade a bit further out on a 4" barrel.

Pro: Everything else. Build quality seemed very good, cylinder latched and unlatched smoothly and easily. The thing that stood out immediately was that DA trigger. It's supposed to be around 9 pounds and was definitely lighter than the normal 11-12 pounds of most revolvers and it had a very smooth stroke with a surprise break, no stacking at all. I have to say it was one of the best DA triggers I've tried on a new production revolver.

Overall size was great as well. It was smaller than a new Model 10 I'd looked at a minute earlier and was pretty much just right for a "smaller" .357. Price is the big stumbling block, a revolver going for close to $1000 is hard to swallow when I'm still trying to get my head around .357 Ruger Blackhawks selling in the mid $600 range.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
Just beware colts king cobra (at least the original one) is pretty short cylindered. If I seat 158gr lswc’s at the crimp groove, they won’t chamber on the Colt. The same loads fit in a 3” M60 Pro with ease. The 3” M60 is a real nice trail gun, but it does buck a bit with .357’s.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/29/20
My only handgun for the past 4 years here in Alaska, has been an sp101 4.2" with a reflex sight. 180 grain swift A-frames over 15 grains lil gun for exactly 1200 fps for moose and bear protection. 158 grain speer tmj over 8 grains of unique for small game. I don't use the phrase "kit gun", but it's my main trail gun. 29 oz with reflex sight. Anything lighter, I wouldn't have put away the hundreds of lbs of beaver, grouse, ptarmigan or snowshoe hare. The lighter ones don't settle down. I wouldn't want a shorter barrel either. The 4.2" pistol fits in my pocket, plenty compact.
Posted By: CaptArab Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
My only handgun for the past 4 years here in Alaska, has been an sp101 4.2" with a reflex sight. 180 grain swift A-frames over 15 grains lil gun for exactly 1200 fps for moose and bear protection. 158 grain speer tmj over 8 grains of unique for small game. I don't use the phrase "kit gun", but it's my main trail gun. 29 oz with reflex sight. Anything lighter, I wouldn't have put away the hundreds of lbs of beaver, grouse, ptarmigan or snowshoe hare. The lighter ones don't settle down. I wouldn't want a shorter barrel either. The 4.2" pistol fits in my pocket, plenty compact.

You must have one hell of a pocket.
I'd like a pic, never seen a sight on a Ruger wheel gun.
Posted By: CaptArab Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by garddogg56

I wonder just how miserable those magnums are in the lcrx .
. .
Posted By: TWR Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I am thinking of getting a 66-2 with a 4" barrel which has been lightly used. I think it is a bit overpriced at 600.

If it's in halfway decent shape it's a little under priced. I bought a few of them years ago for $300-350 but today's market is closer to $750-800

Buy it!
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by CaptArab

. .

I've got the 3" LCRx. It bucks with the full house 357 loads, but not painful for me. The grip absorbs a lot of the shock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

You must have one hell of a pocket.
I'd like a pic, never seen a sight on a Ruger wheel gun.

Pics before and after:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...gnum-reccomend-a-black-bear-defense-load

Dropping the burris in favor of a trijicon. Both will fit the same alchin mount.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20
What didn't you like about the Burris?
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

. .

I've got the 3" LCRx. It bucks with the full house 357 loads, but not painful for me. The grip absorbs a lot of the shock.

When I used to shoot a lot of .357 Magnum (back in the 1980s when I was a huge advocate for it as a defensive caliber for concealed carry) out of my FBI-configured Model 65 (three inch bull barrel, round butt frame), I noticed that 158 grain loads were a lot less punishing in recoil vs 125 grain. It never made logical sense to me (you'd think it would be the other way around), but I couldn't deny the obvious.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

. .

When I used to shoot a lot of .357 Magnum (back in the 1980s when I was a huge advocate for it as a defensive caliber for concealed carry) out of my FBI-configured Model 65 (three inch bull barrel, round butt frame), I noticed that 158 grain loads were a lot less punishing in recoil vs 125 grain. It never made logical sense to me (you'd think it would be the other way around), but I couldn't deny the obvious.

My perception also. I went completely to 158gr for everything except target work.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

If it's in halfway decent shape it's a little under priced. I bought a few of them years ago for $300-350 but today's market is closer to $750-800

Buy it!

Family Deal, it looks fantastic. When it was bought it was 325 and buried in a gunshop case. The owner of the LGS in question has a single digit IQ.
Originally Posted by pabucktail
What didn't you like about the Burris?

Hi pa,
It won't hold zero and is heading back to burris for repair. Guess I'll have to spend the big money on trijicon. When it's returned from burris, I'll probably just keep it as a spare.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20
Well, that's lame. I've been mulling the purchase of a couple of them for a .45 colt and a .357. You're prior reports of frequent use in another thread were encouraging. I looked at Trijicons as well but the price is certainly off-putting for wanting two of them. For what it's worth, their model with the smaller square window is more durable than the one with the bigger round window.
Pa, this is the second burris to loose zero on me. First was a burris timberline 2-7. Both of these are made in the Philippines.

Was issued a brand new trijicon agog and brand new m4 carbine for my third and final one-year tour in Iraq many years ago.

I dropped to the ground hard a half dozen times, hard enough to chip my elbows. The optic never lost zero the entire deployment. Before that, I had an eotech holographic on my issued m249 machine gun. Everyone else had aimpoints on m16 a2's. Never had issue with any of them. Zero was confirmed every time we had a convoy leave for missions. Only issue was a dead battery on an aimpoint occasionally.

Anyhow, what I'm getting at is my limited experience with illuminated sights from the above mentioned brands has been positive. Goodbye Burris.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20

Something like one of these 66's might work for you.

I picked all of these up in the $550-650 range. Don't know if that's possible now. Probably more in the $750-800 range now.

Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by FreeMe

. .

My perception also. I went completely to 158gr for everything except target work.

I've noticed the same, even in the 9mm. Heavier bullet feeling a little softer in recoil.

Seems I've heard the same regarding the 40SW. Heavier 180s have less perceived recoil.

I wonder if the higher velocity load causes a higher velocity recoil, and it is perceived as harder in the hand.
That could be it, Montana.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/31/20
I had never really thought about that, but after a conversation about the best way to make major power factor I remembered several experiences that reinforce the same thing. 185 grain 45ACP loads and 125 grain .357 loads were the first thoughts. Both noticeably snappier than their heavy counterparts.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by cwh2
I had never really thought about that, but after a conversation about the best way to make major power factor I remembered several experiences that reinforce the same thing. 185 grain 45ACP loads and 125 grain .357 loads were the first thoughts. Both noticeably snappier than their heavy counterparts.

I refuse to shoot a 185 in a 45. 230.. and up. Unless it's a hardcast 200-220. But, If I go hard cast, I usually prefer the heavies, 250-255.
Posted By: CaptArab Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 07/31/20
Thanks for the info on the LCRX, fellas.
I may have to pick one up to pair with my Henry model X for the whole new school millennial cowbow vibe 😂
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/01/20
I've noticed the same, even in the 9mm. Heavier bullet feeling a little softer in recoil.

Seems I've heard the same regarding the 40SW. Heavier 180s have less perceived recoil.

I wonder if the higher velocity load causes a higher velocity recoil, and it is perceived as harder in the hand.

It could just be a perception thing, because the physics don't work out. But in most auto pistol rounds, lighter bullet loads tend to have a great deal more muzzle blast and noise from the increased powder charge. You REALLY notice it in .40...ever shoot a 135gr load? WHOA!

It could just be a perception thing, because the physics don't work out. But in most auto pistol rounds, lighter bullet loads tend to have a great deal more muzzle blast and noise from the increased powder charge. You REALLY notice it in .40...ever shoot a 135gr load? WHOA!

No, it's actually the recoil. Physics would seem to be the opposite, but it's real. I much preferred the recoil impulse of 158 grain Magnums vs 125 grain.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/02/20
Your argument is with physics, not me. Here’s a recoil calculator, use common published factory load values and see for yourself. http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/02/20
Recoil velocity is higher with lighter bullets
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Recoil velocity is higher with lighter bullets

That might explain the difference in felt recoil.
Your argument is with physics, not me. Here’s a recoil calculator, use common published factory load values and see for yourself. http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

Stating a preference, based on repeated experience, isn't reducible to an "argument with physics." There can be factors, grounded in physics, that you're not accounting for.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/02/20

When I was shooting IPSC, I decided to put a compensated barrel on my Delta Elite and try some of those 135s loaded to Major power factor. They were a real hoot, and the comp worked like a champ with those things, but they were as loud as the .38 Supers loaded the same way (IOW, obnoxious as Hell), and when shooting thru a tube or other impedimentia for whatever the match required, the muzzle blast actually moved the tube around enough to slow me down, rather than help me speed up. It was sure fun, though. I had a 2X scope (yeah, a regular pistol scope) on it, and it didn't move the crosshairs much, but those 135s were more nuisance than fun, overall.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/02/20
grips make a big difference in both how the revolver feels and how it conceals. The Model 60 and the DAO Model 65 both have three inch barrels. The 65 is a lot more pleasant to shoot with magnum loads, but in a pinch, either is a good choice for social issues.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/03/20
Literally every poster on here that has a 3" mod 60 loves it.

Myself included.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Literally every poster on here that has a 3" mod 60 loves it.

Myself included.

I've got one in .38 Special +P with a three inch barrel, but it's scandium/titanium, with a fiber optic front sight. It was meant to be a backpacker's or fisherman's gun. So light, it feels in the hand like a potato chip.
Oh, wait, I've also got an old school one, polished and blued steel (pinned) barrel and cylinder, polished black aluminum frame, with a three inch barrel and fixed sights. Not sure if I ever shot that one. I don't think so. It's a .38 Special, but not rated for +P. Looks like a new gun.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/03/20
Oh, wait, I've also got an old school one, polished and blued steel (pinned) barrel and cylinder, polished black aluminum frame, with a three inch barrel and fixed sights. Not sure if I ever shot that one. I don't think so. It's a .38 Special, but not rated for +P. Looks like a new gun.

I always thought the following was a neat little revolver but I never owned one. I did own a short titanium model and it was not an enjoyable shooting experience.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-model-mp360-0
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I always thought the following was a neat little revolver but I never owned one. I did own a short titanium model and it was not an enjoyable shooting experience.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-model-mp360-0

That is a nifty configuration. I used to have one almost exactly like it, but mine looked like a miniaturized L-Frame (full length underlug) with standard adjustable sights, round butt frame. Same dull black finish as the one in your link. I regretted selling that almost as soon as I did it. Probably back in the 1990s.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/04/20

I've always figured your gun safe(s) would provide a pretty cool and wide assortment of handguns.

I've always figured your gun safe(s) would provide a pretty cool and wide assortment of handguns.

If only I had never had the boating accident where they were all lost.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/05/20

If only I had never had the boating accident where they were all lost.

Cryin shame.

smile
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/09/20
The Kimber K6S deserves a look. Available in 2", 3", and 4" versions.
6 shot capacity in a frame just slightly bigger than a J-frame S&W.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/09/20
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Too bad the cylinder looks ugly with those flats and they fail to make an adjustable sight version. Otherwise, they could be on to something.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/09/20
I've had a couple SP-101s and I have a S&W M60 3" now. With full power loads, they are a f-ing handful, the S&W worst of all, but for me, any gun with a rubber grip and significant recoil is kind of a problem. Can't argue with accuracy. My first SP-101 was a .38 special, the most recent a .357. I used to shoot gopher mounds on the hill across the creek at 175 yards. They were 6-8 inches across, about 3-4 inches high from my angle. Hittin' 'em, or slightly above or below, was regular enough to make me think that whackin' some a-hole in the chest would not be a problem with some +P+ .38s I cooked up. The S&W will hold 2" for 5 shots at 50 yards with a rest with Federal's 125 grain full power JHP ammo. Sucks to shoot, but it'd suck worse to be shot with.

With that for when I want it, I'm actually going the other way, shopping for a heavier framed .357. No rush.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/09/20
We've had both the 2 and 3 inch SP101s and prefer the shorter one. They buck & beller some but it is nothing a grown man can't handle.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/10/20

Too bad the cylinder looks ugly with those flats and they fail to make an adjustable sight version. Otherwise, they could be on to something.

There are several adjustable sight versions. https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/revolver?layer&cat=480

And you're comparing the beauty of the Kimber K6S to what, the LCR? Damn.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 08/10/20

There are several adjustable sight versions. https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/revolver?layer&cat=480

And you're comparing the beauty of the Kimber K6S to what, the LCR? Damn.

Hey good for them, adjustable sights and all. I didn't know they'd started that. Still, that's one ugly gun with the goofy cylinder and latch. Sights look good though. As far as the LCR goes in comparison, they could be siblings of ugliness.
Posted By: MichiGun Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 09/20/20
I have an SP101 and love it. Now here comes something I may regret typing!

Just for grins I bought a Taurus 605 just to see if I would hate it, but quite the opposite. That little revolver has been super reliable and I can make head shots at 10 yards on demand. The factory grips weren't so good, so I changed them out for Hogue grips.

Doing yard work, running to the store, its a great little gun that drops into a pocket with ease.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 09/21/20
I had a Taurus 605 that I traded to my brother, I had no issues with it and I don't think that he has any issues with it either. It seems to be a good little revolver.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 10/01/20
I bought a SP101 3” .357 many years ago. It’s a good thing it’s stainless, because with all the carry time it’s had a blue gun would be naked by now!

I run .38’s for fun and carry 180 gr Black Talons from my very last box while woods roaming and no rifle along. The 180’s recoil is much more tolerable than anything lighter. Often I’ll carry a snake shot round during summer scouting trip for those icky encounters...... A small set of Hogue finger groove grips really help with solid handling and recoil control.

A bow hunting pard carries a S&W 5” 60 and does well with it.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 10/01/20
I bought a SP101 3” .357 many years ago. It’s a good thing it’s stainless, because with all the carry time it’s had a blue gun would be naked by now!

I run .38’s for fun and carry 180 gr Black Talons from my very last box while woods roaming and no rifle along. The 180’s recoil is much more tolerable than anything lighter. Often I’ll carry a snake shot round during summer scouting trip for those icky encounters...... A small set of Hogue finger groove grips really help with solid handling and recoil control.

A bow hunting pard carries a S&W 5” 60 and does well with it.
Posted By: Youper Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 10/04/20
A buddy latched on to a 2-1/2" model 19. I was shocked at how easy it was to shoot with full house 357 loads.
Posted By: mtnkid85 Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 10/14/20
The Kimber K6s is a darling of a shooter. You'd really be doing your self a disservice if you didn't at least go fondle one. It is a well put together little piece.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 10/14/20
Just bought one of these off of gunbroker, Ruger's model 15707. They were announced by Lipsey's in the spring but are only just starting to hit dealers' shelves now. Wouldn't mind it in a stainless version at all but the blue and old style wood grip inserts as well as the overall design trip a lot of triggers for me.

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/15707.html

[Linked Image from ruger.com]

To be honest I had to talk myself into gambling on it. Have had two bad experiences in a row with the 4" barrel version, Ruger seems to be having a difficult time mounting barrels on their SP101 that are in line with the frame. We'll see how this one goes. If it's straight as an arrow then I'll shout hallelujah, if not but it's not too horrible I may live with it or not, at the very least I could certainly get my money out of it.
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Smaller Frame 357? - 11/11/20
This is the one you really want.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/u114/mrmarklin/(edited)_E3F5C820_C019_4977_AD18_4BF156800551.jpeg
© 24hourcampfire