Home
I've ordered myself a S&W 629 5" and a Diamond D Chest Holster. After a situation with a moose I had while x-country skiing in winter, and another experience a friend had with a moose while doing some winter scouting, I've decided it was time to get at least something to have with me when I don't have a long gun (which is usually just when I'm hunting.)
Found some good loadings by Underwood. 255 grain Keith styles at 1350fps and some 305 grain flat nosed hard cast at 1325 fps. Obviously the latter load is the winner when it comes to performance, but I also know that the 629 in this barrel length doesn't compare in size to something such as a Super Redhawk. Are such loads suited to S&Ws? Would the additional recoil of the heavier load be reasonable in this size gun, or might it be argued the more manageable 255 is worth the less power for the same of quicker follow up shots? Whatever I get, I'll have to practice with it.
I have to confess a general lack of experience and knowledge with big bore handguns. But I'm not a noob when it comes to firearms and, being able to competently beat the crap out of myself with various magnum rifles and 45/70 bear loads, have never found myself to be recoil adverse, which is a different fish but I think I'll be fine.
My Smiths get tweeners.

280 or thereabouts.
250 @ 1100-1200
I really like the 270 gold dot flat nose or whatever Speers calling it this year. I've shot a lot of cast performance 305g and lazercast 310g wfn bullets from my mtn gun, 5" 629 classic, and even 329pd but lately I've been just going with the 270g speer at about 1200fps.

I have the Lee 310g mold but I'd like to find someone that could mill the back off where the gas check goes so it would cast a shorter non gas check bullet. I'm guessing that would weigh between 270 or 280g and be a good all around cast bullet.

Bb
hollowpointmold.com
My experience with that range of bullet weights in 44 magnum and 45 Colt tells me animals the size of big deer or smaller won't be able to tell the difference. But if I hiked or Hunted where bear and moose live I would definitely go with the heavier solids.

Better to have it and not need it, than the other way around.
Originally Posted by SargeMO
My experience with that range of bullet weights in 44 magnum and 45 Colt tells me animals the size of big deer or smaller won't be able to tell the difference. But if I hiked or Hunted where bear and moose live I would definitely go with the heavier solids.

Better to have it and not need it, than the other way around.

This is my thinking exactly. The wound channels though deer-sized animals are going to be nearly identical, but if serious penetration and big-bone-breaking is required, the heavier weight is more better.
Harmonious,

I don't say this to be a dick, but go with the heaviest load you can handle.

I'd try a few loads, starting with the heaviest that you're thinking of first, and if thats good or if you can tell you'll get used to it, then youre OK for that load.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I really like the 270 gold dot flat nose or whatever Speers calling it this year. I've shot a lot of cast performance 305g and lazercast 310g wfn bullets from my mtn gun, 5" 629 classic, and even 329pd but lately I've been just going with the 270g speer at about 1200fps.

I have the Lee 310g mold but I'd like to find someone that could mill the back off where the gas check goes so it would cast a shorter non gas check bullet. I'm guessing that would weigh between 270 or 280g and be a good all around cast bullet.

Bb

I've shot a lot of those Lee 310's cast pretty hard and sans gas check. They did well for me at moderate speed (compared to how fast they can be pushed). I cast about 800 in trade to a guy who wasn't interested in the gas check either, and after sizing to fit his gun, he found they shot really well for him, too. If you only want to push them to about 1000fps, they don't seem to suffer from no gas check. I agree though that milling off the gas check shank would make a sweet intermediate-weight plain-base bullet.
255's all the way in a relatively light gun like the Smith and Wesson. I see no need for anything heavier even in a Redhawk.
Yeah, control to be able to accurately get off another couple of shots is important I'd think.
Originally Posted by Harmonious_Fulmination
Are such loads suited to S&Ws? Would the additional recoil of the heavier load be reasonable in this size gun, or might it be argued the more manageable 255 is worth the less power for the same of quicker follow up shots? Whatever I get, I'll have to practice with it.

Not sure if this still applies today, but some vintages of the 629 had tight cylinder throats. Brian Pearce had a good article covering it, but it is several years old now and I don't know what the current situation is with the latest 629 throats.

I had a 629-6 with 4" barrel, and it did have tight throats so I loaded jacketed bullets. They are supposed to handle the tight throats better than cast bullets. Supposedly they get squeezed in the throat, but then have some "springiness" that allows them to obdurate in the bore of the barrel. Some people claim that cast bullets, once they pass through a tight throat are essentially re-sized (too much) and are not always able to obdurate sufficiently which can affect accuracy and cause leading.

Easy for you to check the throats, once you get the revolver though.

Looking at my old notes, for the 4" 629, I loaded the 240gr XTP quite hot with H110 but much preferred the same bullet at 1100 - 1200 FPS with Universal. Very pleasant to shoot.

I settled on the 300gr XTP at ~1100+ FPS. Moderate recoil and was very accurate. However, I think it was a bit much for the N-frame as it started to loosen up. I don't recall how many rounds I shot, but if I were to do it all over again I would probably keep it at 1000 FPS for the 300gr to help minimize wear and tear.

After killing a lot of deer and some big hogs with the Speer 270 grain GDSP, I am sold on it
Originally Posted by mathman
Yeah, control to be able to accurately get off another couple of shots is important I'd think.
Yea so this is a thing. Short story, I missed on a black bear when it mattered the most. I was charged and shot when it was at my feet. I had what I thought was all the horsepower I needed from a Ruger SB but it turned out that that wasn’t the most important thing. Not that day.
I'm thinking like SargeMO. Only in this case practice a lot with milder loads. Then before going out shoot three of the 305 Underwoods' to see where they hit. Then go out in the woods and get that sweet air. Be Well, Rustyzipper.

Originally Posted by smallfry
250 @ 1100-1200

This^^^
If you can't hit power doesn't help. Moose are very large and dense animals that are difficult to Pentetrate and the 305 grain will definitely penetrate the deepest. Recoil will be manageable in the 11 to 1200 FPS range
300 grain XTP @ 1400 fps ( seated to the bottom cannelure ) from my Super Redhawk does it for me … However , you need to be vigilant of the S&W cylinder over all length and the twist rate . I know the SRH’s have a 1:20 .

I'd go with the 305's you mention = sledgehammer .

I run 300 gr hard casts @ 1,200 fps in my 6" M629.

Use 21.0 gr 4227, because the blast and muzzle jump w H-110 was objectionable.
Great gun, enjoy it, but just as an FYI, "bear spray" works great on moose and would certainly be my first thought if time permits. I carry a can on my pack but also have them on my bicycle and snowmobile when trail riding.
New Smiths supposed to handle the heavies.

Tried some warm 255s in a 329 PD.
Whipped bad but felt OK, w the wood grips.
300s kicked hard ( max load ) in 4" 629-1
And I didn't like em.
My gun didn't either, broke trigger pivot.

Smith fixed it fast. 240s or lighter after that.
But I werent in no bear country neither.

5" classic has endurance package. Should be up to the heavies. Even so, proly too much for me to tolerate, even w practice.

Gettin wimpy in my old age
Thanks for the adive everyone. I like the idea of getting a box of both and trying them out. That being said I am leaning towards the 255s for the sake of follow up shots and controlability. Plus, as far as the bullet style, weight and velocity go it is nearly identical to Elmer Keith's personal loading, and if it was good enough for him I feel like that means at least a little something.

Try Lehigh 265gr WFN solid copper.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/all/429-wide-flat-nose-265gr-bullet

See load data.
I have yet to encounter the critter who couldn't be taken down with 240 grains of .44 mag; never saw a need for heavier bullets. The 240 is no slouch, but a WFN in the 240 to 250 grain range would take care of anything you're likely to encounter in North America.
A 300 grain hard cast WFN, loaded at 1200fps, will penetrate all the way, lengthwise, through an average adult elk.
I went with a 270 WFN because it shot really well out of both my S&W Mountain Gun and my Marlin 1894 and feeds better than the 250 Keith in the Marlin. I've only killed one hog with the S&W and one whitetail with the Marlin, but both were complete pass-thru on quartering shots. If it wasn't for the Marlin I would probably still be shooting the 250 Keith and be plenty happy with it.
© 24hourcampfire