Home
Posted By: jorgeI COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/12/20
Picked it up yesterday. Made in 1921. Smooth as butter, action's like a little bank vault and the picture does not do it justice. Test fired one magazine full and fed and fired flawlessly. Very pleased..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: muleshoe Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/12/20
Will you be able to run regular high speed ammo through it?

Just wondering, I've heard that some will not handle it.

Nice looking pistola by the way.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/12/20
What a sweetheart that one is. I inherited a 1923, perfect bore and tight as you could wish, but what a hard life it's had. It went on the hip of a land surveyor for 45 years, seen more of Nevada than Kit Carson. I have a retired cop friend, and he shot it for me ( I am a dismal pistolero) with sorted Winchester T-22 and after a few shots to 'learn the trigger' put a magazine full into roughly a group the size of a silver dollar at 25 yards, handed it back to me and said,"You ever wanna sell it, let me know."
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/12/20
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Will you be able to run regular high speed ammo through it?.

only if it has the hi-speed mainspring installed The checkered MS housing is for SV only. The lined/serrated is for high vel.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/12/20
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Will you be able to run regular high speed ammo through it?.

only if it has the hi-speed mainspring installed The checkered MS housing is for SV only. The lined/serrated is for high vel.

I was told by an expert to use standard velocity. hunts, what about the serrations?
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/12/20
Beautiful pistol Jorge, great find.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/12/20
OMG you're going to have fun with that one!!! Nice find.
Posted By: Savuti Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/12/20
The pattern was changed in early 1933. Easy way to remember which is which - Horizontal lines = High Velocity OK.

Colt made a kit to retrofit earlier guns for Hi Vel ammo consisting of a heavier Main spring and heat treated M.S. Housing.
Lovely pistol, Jorge.

Those .22 boxes take me back to the late 60's/early 70's, Super-X were the good stuff, Canuck were cheap garbage (at least that is what we thought at the time); all came from the local OTASCO or APCO station. Jack rabbits, bullfrogs and crows were in abundance. Life was better than we knew.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/12/20
Originally Posted by Savuti
The pattern was changed in early 1933. Easy way to remember which is which - Horizontal lines = High Velocity OK.

Colt made a kit to retrofit earlier guns for Hi Vel ammo consisting of a heavier Main spring and heat treated M.S. Housing.

Mine has the one on the left. Thankfully, I have plenty of std velocity ammo. Thank you.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/13/20
That is a great find, good luck with it.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/13/20
What a great score, Jorge!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/13/20
I really dig the bead-sighted first series pistols, but the longer trigger on the early ones just fit me better. So much so, that I swapped triggers on few to make them suit me....
Posted By: Pugs Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/13/20
To pair with Jorge's as we feed off of each others rimfire addiction. A 1964 Targetsman I picked up last week.

Posted By: PennDog Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/14/20
Congratulations you’ll love that one - the one I have is amazingly accurate......much more accurate than I can hold or see anymore. A wonderful period piece!

PennDog
Posted By: jorgeI Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/14/20
Can anyone shed some light regarding magazine variances (if any) in the Colt? I'm looking to purchase a second mag and I want to make sure.
Posted By: SS336 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/14/20
Seems all Colt magazines for the woodsman series are kind of rare and expensive. There is a tutorial at rimfirecentral on how to modify one from a Beretta Neos magazine. I made one for my 1975 huntsman that works great.
$30 for the magazine and 30 minutes work. Not as pretty as the original but functional. On the second series pistols you have to cut a slot for the mag release.
Something to think about and it might work for you.
Posted By: SS336 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/14/20
Here is a couple of pictures.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: gnoahhh Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/14/20
Originally Posted by Pugs
To pair with Jorge's as we feed off of each others rimfire addiction. A 1964 Targetsman I picked up last week.

Pugs and I shoot together fairly frequently and it would seem that we both have similar tastes (and share a .22 addiction). He, and now Jorge, has caused me to spend too much time scouring the gun sites for an early 6" Woodsman to go with my 1st series 4". Darn it, I gotta buy another .22 pistol. Drat!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/14/20
The second, and third series woodsman mags, along with the modded Neos mags will NOT work in a first series. Any first series mag will work in the prewoodsman regardless of bottom stamp on the mag. Triple K also makes a replacement, but more than likely will need tweaked to work as they are kind of junky.....
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Pugs

Pugs and I shoot together fairly frequently and it would seem that we both have similar tastes (and share a .22 addiction). He, and now Jorge, has caused me to spend too much time scouring the gun sites for an early 6" Woodsman to go with my 1st series 4". Darn it, I gotta buy another .22 pistol. Drat!

And so I did. 6" Series 1 Woodsman, 1930 vintage, not altered for HS ammo use (don't care). You guys will be the death of me.
The second, and third series woodsman mags, along with the modded Neos mags will NOT work in a first series. Any first series mag will work in the prewoodsman regardless of bottom stamp on the mag. Triple K also makes a replacement, but more than likely will need tweaked to work as they are kind of junky.....

On a whim I bought a Triple K as a spare for my 4" Series 1 (immediate post-war). I guess I got lucky as it works flawlessly.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/15/20
The Woodsman is THE handgun to have for the outdoorsy type. Many appear in Alaska. I will relate some tails of the owners of the John Browning masterpiece. One rancher on Kodiak Island carried a 4" Woodsman that was so worn that the front sight was missing and he practiced everyday. Coming around the barn he came face to face with a charging Kodiak bear. One shot and the bear's skin was on the barn wall. In an old Colt add it showed a man next to a large bull moose and his gun was a Woodsman. Saw another picture of a man with a large Dall sheep that he killed with a Woodsman. Read the story of a man that walked to Alaska in the 1930's and his only gun was a Woodsman. He said the only time he felt under gunned was when he killed grizzlies. WOW. I knew a trapper that wandered the mountains of Colorado since the 30's and his gun he carried everyday on the trail was a Woodsman. Man it was in sorry shape. I have carried a pre war for decades and it sleeps under the seat of truck every day. When I was guiding elk hunters I carried only a Woodsman. I used it to finish off quite a few, deer, elk and antelope. I killed 2 elk with mine, though I had another guide standing next to me with a high power rifle. Both dead before the echo vanished. Just about as easy to point shoot as pointing your finger. When I traded into mine I took it into the desert of Arizona to test it out. While approaching the target area a raven took off and flew away. A quick snap shot broke his wing while the truck I was a passenger in was still moving. Quite a first shot from my new companion. I have also shot a buck mule deer, badgers, fish, rabbits, ducks and a goose. Just a beautiful milled steel and walnut handgun from days when craftsmanship was king.
My well worn pre war Woodsman rides in a vintage lined Heiser flap holster that was found at a gun show in 1983 in Leadville, Colo. Forgot 3 other famous hunters that swore by the woodsman. Earnest Hemmingway said he afraid of no man while carrying his Woodsman and shooting solid bullets. General Patton has been photographed wearing a Woodsman. Lastly none other than the world famous African white hunter, Harry Selby had one with him on most of his safaris. When his cook kept complaining about a crocodile raiding the cook sharp, the cook set a snare for the offender. One evening the cook shouted he had the croc in a leg snail. Harry grabbed the Woodsman and rounded the corner and saw one of the largest crocs he ever saw. At this point he retreated for a more serious gun to finish the croc.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/15/20
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Pugs Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/15/20
I also have a 1964 Match Target that was my Grandfather's retirement gift in 1964 to go with the "new" Targetsman. Still has the box, screwdriver, sight pamphlet and manual and basketweave holster but that hasn't kept us from carrying and shooting it a lot over the years.

The joy of these is they made them for so long and in so many varieties that they are interesting to collect and shoot and unless exceptionally rare, pretty affordable. Also nice that they are for the most part C&R eligible so getting them mailed to the house is handy!

My brother, circa 1980, with Grandad's Woodsman on his hip in Suwannee FL before heading out into California Swamp on the three-wheeler.

Posted By: jorgeI Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/15/20
Very cool guys. Hope this thread keeps going. Yeah, it's addictive. I'll probably buy another!
Posted By: GunGeek Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/15/20
I’m pretty thick on .22 handguns. My classic Colt is a 1938 Officers Model Match. But if I buy another .22 handgun, it will be a woodsman.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/15/20
If I read it properly, Adam carried a Woodsman in The Garden of Eden. He had a snake problem.
To continue "famous people who carried and used Woodsman's". I have a WW 2 era Heiser shoulder holster for a Woodsman and it has written in ink upon the holster a Major Turner and his serial number. Read an account of a soldier that carried one on D- Day and "used it with effect on 2 occasions". I would love to find that account in print again but alas it eludes me. A trapper in Alaska wrote a narrative about "needs" of the trapper. His number 1 thing in his list was a Colt Woodsman in a flap holster. His rifle was not specific just something in the 30-06 power level. Said that was not important as it was used only one or 2 times a year, while the Woodsman was used daily. The old Alaskan sourdough Russel Annabel swore by a 22 pistol in Alaska use and I believe his was a Woodsman. I will try to remember more. And lets not forget about our forums own Huntsman 22.
I traded my prewoodsman to a guy in Alaska for a smith 34.....

Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/16/20
Trying to keep this interesting thread going. Talking about famous people using the Woodsman pistols, read the story of the Alaskan sourdoughs that joined the army in WW 2 and were the forward observers for the Aleutian campaign.They were known as Castners Cutthroats. The were armed with about any make of 30-06 and to a man carried Colt Woodsman's. Something of interst about 22 LR ammo and military use. Since it violated the Hauge Convention rules the standard round nose lead ammo was not allowed so the government contracted with Remington to make full metal jacket ammo for military use. It was packaged in a standard 50 round box that was foil wrapped for protection from the elements.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Picked it up yesterday. Made in 1921. Smooth as butter, action's like a little bank vault and the picture does not do it justice. Test fired one magazine full and fed and fired flawlessly. Very pleased..

Dayam, Jorge. Nice looking rock chucker. Congrats.
Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/27/20
Hi I bought one yesterday A much later Woodsmen, its a Match Target from 1960, in very good shape, cant wait to shoot it! cant post pics but could text a pic to some one to post!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/27/20
saddlerings MT.

Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/27/20
Thanks Don for posting my pic.
Posted By: Pugs Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/27/20
Have it on good authority. OK, a text message. grin from gnoahhh that he acquired a nice Woodsman today as well. He and I and Roof will get together Sunday for a little rimfire shooting and pictures.
Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/28/20
Garys Good Guy, Love to be at the range with you fellows! but plan to go to the range here also on sunday!
Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/28/20
Just got back from the range, got some shooting in before the rain hit! shot Great realy Liking this Pistol! wife shot her Browning buckmark, and is doing very well with it! didnt care for the old Colt much , that Im glad of Lol This one has found a Home!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/30/20
See you tonorrow, Pugs. Let the best man win for he shall buy the beer!

Saddlering- you deserve that Colt. Every man should have a Woodsman tucked away somewhere.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/30/20
While we're on the subject, anybody know of a leather guy who makes a classic style holster like the old Heiser?
Posted By: LJBass Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/30/20
I've got a pretty sweet pre'woodsman tucked away. However. I'm half lit, and hate Imgur. Maybe I will post a picture tomorrow if I remember. I haven't used it for much, but it is a cat killin som bitch.
Posted By: roof Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/30/20
Originally Posted by LJBass
I've got a pretty sweet pre'woodsman tucked away. However. I'm half lit, and hate Imgur. Maybe I will post a picture tomorrow if I remember. I haven't used it for much, but it is a cat killin som bitch.

Pugs and gnoahh,
We’ve got plenty of feral cats right across the street, as a matter fact that’s right down range. We’ll see what your Colts will do. 😀
Posted By: EdM Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/30/20
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
While we're on the subject, anybody know of a leather guy who makes a classic style holster like the old Heiser?

I would give Mike Barranti a call.

https://barrantileather.com/
Posted By: Pugs Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/30/20
Originally Posted by roof
Originally Posted by LJBass

Pugs and gnoahh,
We’ve got plenty of feral cats right across the street, as a matter fact that’s right down range. We’ll see what your Colts will do. 😀

No cats were harmed after shooting at Joe's but we did drink the appropriate Woodsman beer.

Posted By: roof Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 08/30/20
Yeah, I’ve been on a revolver kick lately. With friends like you I’m never gonna be able to retire :-)
Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/01/20
So who was the Champ????
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/06/20
Couple more days boys, till my background check clears. And then I'll add a later itteration of the Woodsman to your thread.....
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/06/20
Any hints?
4" second series Match Target kinda sorta looks like saddlerings.
One of the shops I go to, got some Woodsmans in on consighnment, along with a couple High Std's and Browning Challengers. The one I'm getting, and a pair of 3rd 4" MT's, and a pair of 3rd 4" Sports, also a nice 1st series Target {hint gnoahh}. All in great condition...... Not too bad of prices, either....
Huntsman, any insight about the plastic extended grips Colt installed on wartime government contracts and the balance of leftover ones used up on immediate postwar Series1's? Were they Colt's idea, and perchance appeared before the war, or were they ordained by wartime Uncle Sam?

My early postwar 4" has those grips (righteous because I got it from its original owner who assured me it was exactly as it was when he bought it new, as reward to himself for making it home from the Pacific in one piece). They feel really good on the 6" but will leave them on the 4" where they belong.
I've had a couple sets of the military contract extended grips. The only insight I have about that is, personally can't stand them. Don't like having to reach between them to change mags, and the pistol don't fit as nice in yer back Wrangler pocket. If I want a longer grip, I might as well get a few more features with it, and get a second or third series pistol and have the mag catch easy to get to.
Not only that but the extended ears look like a breakage waiting to happen. Still and all I like them. Not much opportunity to carry one here in suburban Maryland anyway. I like standard S1 grips too. Hell, I like them all.
TRI-FEC-TA, baby......

background check went thru a day before they said it would..... They still have 2, 3rd series Sports and 3, 3rd series 4" MT's. 1, first series Target, but it's a little high at $999 unless they have the box and goodies. I didn't ask. Still was 2 High Standards there and I didn't look at them outside the glass.
👍👍👍👍👍👍
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/07/20
All three functioned flawlessly and shoot to the sights. I have to get some stuff to get ready for the coldfront/snow that's coming, but I'll wring some more mags thru them tomorrow.
hadta re-arrange the pistol box to accommodate the new plinkers...

Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/07/20
Wow Don, Great Score! Those are very good shape also! Hope to see them in person some day!
Posted By: Savuti Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/07/20
Great display! Is the spacing between pegs the same for all?
Posted By: SS336 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/07/20
Very nice trio, huntsman. Your display makes me want another also.
Originally Posted by Savuti
Is the spacing between pegs the same for all?

The spacing for the shaker pegs are the same for the Woodsmans, 1911's, buckmark and the 1911-22 at 3 5/8ths centers. the revolvers and oddball pistols are different. You may have to tweak them up or down a tad before the glue sets, to assure level.....
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/09/20
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/11/20
Shop called to tell me that my tax stamp was in for the takedown 22 suppressor. Picked up a reblued 2nd series Sport with used Huntsman grip panels for cheap, while there.....

Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/11/20
Very Nice pistola, you have a nice collection going! I bought a set of walnut grips off ebay for mine with out the thumb rest, as I shoot lefty, got them today , Very nice, and look good on the gun!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/16/20
Posted By: SS336 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/16/20
That is a very nice Match Target you have there. What year, second generation?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/16/20
yep, second series. 1952
Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/16/20
was shooting mine yesterday,man I like that gun!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/19/20
draw any blood with yours yet?

Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/19/20
I posted in the Pre. Varmit thread I have the same grey looking cat around here, to many people around when I see the bugger! I did carry it with me scouting for deer the other day, small game is open now didnt see anything to shoot tho! I started to shoot a old beer bottle grin, but carried it out of the woods!
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/21/20
Interesting thread.
Huntsman22, so you have some cat-related problems in your country, too. I always thought it was symptomatic for Germany only to have problems with feral cats.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/25/20
one more bloodied...

Posted By: postoak Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/25/20
I inherited a 1949 model and toward the end of the magazine I got some failures to feed. I'm assuming this is probably due to a weak spring. Can you buy replacements?
https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/WOODSMAN,%20HUNTSMAN,%20&%20TARGETSMAN/cID1/mID1/dID73
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/25/20
one more bloodied...

Rattus norvegicus? Brought down by daylight? After I killed the first rat early in the afternoon they changed the shift and from then on only worked night shift.
deddus packraticus.....
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/25/20
If we are posting pics of game shot with Woodsman's I will try to dig out the pictures of the 2 elk and 1 mule deer I killed with mine. My greatest feats were the 3 flying birds I got with "Critter Getter" as my grandmother called it.
Posted By: SS336 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 09/27/20
Targetsman....hunting, not as much as Huntsman, but still.😎

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 10/01/20
bloodied the 3rd Sport on another trapped packrat. Wave bye-bye to the Woodsman fans on the 'fire, ya stinkin' little rodent.....

Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 10/06/20
Shot my Colt woodsmen match Target today, tried some Federal blue box, they sucked, the remy thunder bolts shot better, I was surprised! I used to like Federal ammo but about every 3rd round it would fire, but not cycle the action. Hunts what works best in your later Woodsmen s.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 10/06/20
I run CCI SV in most of them, minimags in the ones SV won't run. But Fed bulk has never faltered.....
Posted By: saddlering Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 10/06/20
Maybe just got a bad box of the federal stuff, I always liked it before. I sure like this Pistol!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: COLT (pre) WOODSMAN - 10/07/20
Went back to town to pick up my latest suppressor today. I was going to buy the 3rd 6" Match Target if it was still there. All the MT's have sold since I was in last. All that was left was the 1st Target, a 2nd Sport and a couple 3rd Sports. Oh well, I really didn't want to spend anymore before elk season, in case something goes wrong. I'da gambled if was there, tho...
© 24hourcampfire