Home
Posted By: smallfry Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/14/20
Anyone own one of the Colt Cobra Stainless? How do you like it or just stick with an old detective special?
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/14/20
I've stuck with the old Detective special. Hard to beat those guns. Not to say the new one isn't good, but I have no experience with them.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/14/20
The dick specials were and are superior to the S&W J frame. The actions were better and they hold another round.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by BobBrown
The dick specials were and are superior to the S&W J frame. The actions were better and they hold another round.

I don’t think so, although it’s nice holding an extra round, I do like Smiths DA trigger better. The colts are just about a step to far from a pocket gun for me. The ultimate small frame 6 shooter is a S&W 30-1 or 631 grin
Originally Posted by smallfry
Anyone own one of the Colt Cobra Stainless? How do you like it or just stick with an old detective special?

Old Detective Special.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/15/20

I don’t think so, although it’s nice holding an extra round, I do like Smiths DA trigger better. The colts are just about a step to far from a pocket gun for me. The ultimate small frame 6 shooter is a S&W 30-1 or 631 grin

Stop reading on the Internet.

J Frames never had the quality of some of the N and K/L frames. J frame triggers are just OK
Posted By: smallfry Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/15/20

Stop reading on the Internet.

J Frames never had the quality of some of the N and K/L frames. J frame triggers are just OK

Bob it’s just my observation with my own guns. 3rd & 4th issue with two J frames around the same years. Physically both colts have lighter trigger pulls, but I wouldn’t have guessed it had I not measured it myself.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/15/20

Agree for sure and certain
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/15/20
Stick with the Detective Special unless the price is exorbitant or you can't find one. Go with the newer gun if either is the case.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wife's Magnum Carry in .357...actually a Detective Special in the longer caliber.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/15/20
Ethan,
I have one of those Magnum Carry's too, it's a great little revolver, I keep mine loaded with medium velocity Remington 125 grain 357 Magnum Golden Sabers.
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Ethan,
I have one of those Magnum Carry's too, it's a great little revolver, I keep mine loaded with medium velocity Remington 125 grain 357 Magnum Golden Sabers.
My wife and Mom both had Detective Specials. I traded the wife's on the Magnum Carry, though I should have kept both. My daughter got my Mom's. Both were newer Detective Specials with those big grips.

The Magnum Carry gets some old Winchester White Box 110 grain JHP's that I stocked up on back in the day. Jan Libourel recommended them as plenty powerful yet not so much as to kill your neighbor next door if shooting some creeper in self defense.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/16/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wife's Magnum Carry in .357...actually a Detective Special in the longer caliber.
Externally yes, but internally that has the SF-VI action.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/16/20

It depends on what you want from the revolver. If you just want the best quality revolver, then the newly manufactured Colt's are the one's to buy. They're better made, smoother actions, and much stronger than the original Colts. Now that said, the Detective Special is no slouch of a revolver at all; I love them.
Posted By: DeafSmith Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/17/20
I wonder why the Colt "magnum carry" has not been reintroduced. I mean they have the new 'Cobra' and 'King Cobra'. So why not the stainless Magnum Carry?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by DeafSmith
I wonder why the Colt "magnum carry" has not been reintroduced. I mean they have the new 'Cobra' and 'King Cobra'. So why not the stainless Magnum Carry?
I've wondered the same thing. Probably Colt's ongoing propensity for shooting themselves in the foot.
Posted By: ddixie884 Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 09/23/20
The King Cobra is essentially the same gun as the Magnum Carry. The 3" may be the perfect carry revolver. JMHO-YMMV.........
Posted By: Tackleman Re: Colt Cobra Stainless - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by ddixie884
The King Cobra is essentially the same gun as the Magnum Carry. The 3" may be the perfect carry revolver. JMHO-YMMV.........

I agree, i have one of the new King Cobra and I find that is the perfect cary gun in the field.
© 24hourcampfire