Home
Posted By: john39 Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
Is there anything special required in order to ship a handgun from an individual to the manufacture for warranty repair? Who is the best carrier, and how much does it cost if you have before? Something is wrong with my Walther P99's trigger/decocker mechanism, but nice to know Walther has lifetime no questions asked warranty with a 2 day turnaround. TIA- 10 Ringer
Posted By: savage2400 Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
I use USPS--just take the slide off and ship it and the lower in separate priority boxes--that way it isn't a fire arm but only gun parts
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
Originally Posted by john39
Is there anything special required in order to ship a handgun from an individual to the manufacture for warranty repair? Who is the best carrier, and how much does it cost if you have before? Something is wrong with my Walther P99's trigger/decocker mechanism, but nice to know Walther has lifetime no questions asked warranty with a 2 day turnaround. TIA- 10 Ringer

No special requirements at all to ship to manufacturer or a gunsmith. No FFL required unless a change of ownership is involved
Originally Posted by savage2400
I use USPS--just take the slide off and ship it and the lower in separate priority boxes--that way it isn't a fire arm but only gun parts
WRONG.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20

Contact Walther and see if they will issue a "call tag" ... That makes it easy.. Failing that, shipping via USPS to the manufacturer requires no proof of FFL.. To a gunsmith, while not really mandatory, I DO suggest you obtain a copy of the recipient's FFL. Keep a copy for your records and insert a second copy inside the box in the event some 'inspector' decides to check the legality..

In any event, ensure the box is totally plain OR use one of the USPS 'flat-rate' boxes to ship.. Insure it if you wish, but be warned that their 'insurance' is only used to pad their bottom line - it pays NOTHING if there's a loss...
Originally Posted by Redneck
Contact Walther and see if they will issue a "call tag" ... That makes it easy.. Failing that, shipping via USPS to the manufacturer requires no proof of FFL.. To a gunsmith, while not really mandatory, I DO suggest you obtain a copy of the recipient's FFL. Keep a copy for your records and insert a second copy inside the box in the event some 'inspector' decides to check the legality..

In any event, ensure the box is totally plain OR use one of the USPS 'flat-rate' boxes to ship.. Insure it if you wish, but be warned that their 'insurance' is only used to pad their bottom line - it pays NOTHING if there's a loss...
Non-licensees are not legally permitted to ship handguns via the USPS; non-licensees must use a contract carrier; i.e., UPS or Federal Express.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20

That's exactly how I avoid filling out a 4473 at the gun store. I have them ring up the slide and frame separately. No paper trail that way.
Originally Posted by RufusG
That's exactly how I avoid filling out a 4473 at the gun store. I have them ring up the slide and frame separately. No paper trail that way.
This should be a "Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy" quote.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn

Non-licensees are not legally permitted to ship handguns via the USPS; non-licensees must use a contract carrier; i.e., UPS or Federal Express.

Correct. I like how many "experts" have no idea what they are talking about.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
I sent a PPK back to Walther and this is how it went.
Walther issued a prepaid shipping label through FedEx.
Pistol was to be shipped in original case unloaded and with magazine in a plain wrapped box.
Pistol must be delivered to a FedEx hub since it must be shipped overnight.
Walther did an inspection, clean and repair as needed.
Walther returned the pistol to my door via FedEx within 5 days of receipt, they sent out notice via email that the pistol was shipped, tracking number and signature required for delivery.
Walther charged me 0. Complete instructions will be sent via email with the prepaid label.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
I sent my CZ to Cajun Gun Works and they told me to only use FedEx Air. FedEx Ground would have gotten it there the same day, but there are less light fingered types they figure in the air freight end of the business. $40.00 each way for shipping. “Machined parts” not a firearm if they need a designation.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20

Mfg will normally issue a pick up label to ship it......

return it same way with Signature required
As I said Walther paid everything, copy of email from Walther service center in Arkansas.

On Oct 16, 2018, at 3:01 PM, Connor Murphy <[email protected]> wrote:

Be on the lookout for two emails. The first will come from Walther with a
return form. Please review it and let me know if anything needs to be
changed on it. DO NOT ship the firearm if your address is wrong on it. Let
me know before shipping it. If everything is correct, please print it and
retain the case number for your records. Lastly include the sheet with the
gun.

You’ll receive a second email after that from FedEx that will contain a link
to their website that will have a prepaid shipping label.
Once you have that
just box the gun up however you see fit. We do recommend the plastic case it
came in, and then inside of a cardboard box. Then attach the label to the
outside and drop it off with FedEx, and we’ll get you taken care of.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,
Connor Murphy
Gun Tech
Walther Arms, Inc.

479-646-4210 ext. 7
[email protected]
7700 Chad Colley Blvd, Fort Smith, AR 72916
www.WaltherArms.com
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20

BS. No FFL dealer that isn’t retarded would knowingly sell you a serial number frame/action etc without having you complete the form and calling it in.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20

I hope y'all don't get busted. There's a serial number on the frame and that constitutes a firearm in the ATF's eyes for purposes of defining same. The 4473 needs filled out whether it's a complete gun or just the frame.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
I think RufusG was being sarcastic.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
You can ship a firearm directly to the manufacturer. Contact Walther first.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
You can ship a firearm directly to the manufacturer. Contact Walther first.

Exactly 8 business days from start to finish.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn

And you're right - I had a brain fart... Must not have had enough coffee yet... smile I can ship because I have an FFL and had filled out the USPS form that they keep on record.. The average joe has to use either UPS, Fed-Ex or similar..

My bad.
Posted By: antlers Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
lmao
Posted By: antlers Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/18/20
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
BS. No FFL dealer that isn’t retarded would knowingly sell you a serial number frame/action etc without having you complete the form and calling it in.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I think RufusG was being sarcastic.
He clearly was.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/19/20
Wow, a whole lot of stupid displayed on this thread.

OP for the win.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/19/20
You can ship it UPS or FedEx.... and pay a hundred bucks each way for the privilege....
Originally Posted by Stophel
You can ship it UPS or FedEx.... and pay a hundred bucks each way for the privilege....
This is just dumber than whale $h!t. No legal requirement to ship overnight, if that's what you're intimating, that's only a policy. I've also never paid "a hundred bucks each way" to ship anything overnight. As Big Stick would say, congratulations?
Posted By: Stophel Re: Shipping a Handgun? - 11/19/20
I'm well aware there's no legal requirement. That's just their BS policy.
© 24hourcampfire