Home
Posted By: SLM S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
Be gentle, I don’t know jack about handguns. Going to purchase one of the above. Leaning towards the 18. Is there a reason I should pick one over the other?

Thanks.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
What do you want to use it for?
Posted By: SLM Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
Will cary hiking/scouting etc for targets of opportunity and general plinking. Have always had the urge for one for some reason.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by SLM
Be gentle, I don’t know jack about handguns. Going to purchase one of the above. Leaning towards the 18. Is there a reason I should pick one over the other?

Thanks.

The 18 is a classic K-Frame, all steel, .22 rimfire, mostly meant as a training tool for a full sized service revolver. The 43C is a small, lightweight, pocket gun intended for self-defense. Which purpose will you be putting it to?
Originally Posted by SLM
Will cary hiking/scouting etc for targets of opportunity and general plinking. Have always had the urge for one for some reason.

Either would be good, but the 18 would be better for shooting while the 43C would be better for concealed, all day, carry for self-defense.
Either I’m confused, or we are talking about something different. The 43 I’m talking about has a 3.5” barrel and appears to be the same as the 18 with an alloy frame? Am I missing something?
Posted By: RufusG Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
43 is a J-Frame, 18 is the larger K-frame. I'd pick whichever one you preferred the size/heft of.
Posted By: Mesa Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
I'd pick the 18. I've had both and found that the 43, while cute, is just too light for steady shooting offhand in the woods or anywhere else. A really strong side wind will blow not just the bullets, but the gun itself sideways (I lived in Wisconsin when I had one.). The 18 will stay put and is just a shorter-barreled 17 ("K-22 Masterpiece Target"), a gun renowned for accuracy.

The 43 has more collector's value--they're much scarcer because many people found them hard to shoot well. For a more shootable J-frame Smith, a 51 (identical to your 43 but with a steel frame and .22 WRM chambers) or 34 (4" bbl. steel frame standard .22 RF) are better IMO. But an 18 is a great general use shooter, for sure.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
Unless you have small hands, buy the 18 and go have fun. My 18 is over 40 years old, has had thousands of rounds down the spout and is as tight as the day that I purchased it. The only downside is that the bluing has worn off some of the high spots and sharp edges from being carried in a leather holster for many years.
Posted By: gunzo Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
The original 43 was a J-frame(S&W'S small one) with an aluminum frame & a 3.5" barrel. Weight under 20 ounces. Adj. sights.

Models 34 & 63 are J-frames as well with all steel, carbon or stainless respectively. available in 2 or 4" lengths originally with adjustable sights. The newer 63's were/are? offered in 3 & 5", under 30 ounces.

The model 18 is a K frame, or the next size up from the J, adj. sights 4" barrel & a weight of approx. 40 ounces.

All 3 models are 6 shot with the exception of the current or very late model 63's which I believe are 8 shot.

Obviously the 43 is easiest to carry, hardest to shoot well. The 4" 34 & 63 is easier to hit with due to the added weight & can be helped out considerably with the addition of a bigger grip.

The 18 thinks it's a target gun, easy to shoot & accurate.

Step up one more time with the 617. It's a K frame, Stainless, with an underlug barrel, & a 10 shot cylinder. The front weight makes it very easy to shoot, not much for carry IMO.
Posted By: killerv Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
I picked up a nice old 43 last week

The thing with them is that their finish just didn't wear well and its hard to find one really nice...and they are priced accordingly.

I thought the only difference between the 18 and 17 was the tapered barrel. I know where a nice 18-3 4'' is sitting right now....for 850.

Don't forget about the model 34, the nice blued steel version of the 43.

I have a 34, 43 and 17, and that 18 I mentioned is calling my name, just wrong time of year and I can probably find one cheaper with some looking.

Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
I'd go for the 18 if it were me SLM.
Thanks all, confirms my interest in the 18.

Was not aware of the 34 so will look at that option as well.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
Rossi 518?
Posted By: johnw Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
The model 18 should be a better shooter. But I find that I shoot pretty well with my original model 43.

The model 43 weighs ~15.5 oz loaded.

If you don't buy both you'll short yourself somewhere...

I've owned 2 model 17s and eventually let both go, although they were sparklingly accurate. I carried them a lot and just didn't like the 6" barrel. Always intended to own a model 18. Just one of those things that didn't work out.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
18 is on my bucket list and it's a short list.

I have a Model 51, which is a 3 1/2" 22 Mag
Originally Posted by BtailHunter

I've had both a 17 and an 18 in the past. Wish I hadn't sold my 17, and for a while I was thinking that I also sold my 18 some years past, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure I did. It might be in my safe somewhere. I'm going to have to look for it.
Posted By: Mesa Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 11/30/20
Original Model 51s are excellent, and great shooters. Lost mine in the '80s "downturn" (more like a n earthquake where I lived!) and replaced it with a 651 in the late '90s.. Wish I had them both.
Posted By: MOGC Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/01/20
I discovered I really didn't have a use for my Model 18. When I first got it I carried it a lot. I eventually figured out that I liked packing my M63 better. As a trail gun the M63 carried easier and I still hit the things I wanted to hit at about the same rate as I did with the M18. Bad snakes still died, squirrels and rabbits got drilled for the skillet and the little M63 carried more compactly. When I went handgun hunting the M17 6" was a much better choice in my hands than the 4" M18. And so the M18 sat, seldom shot and rarely carried. I sold it for a good bit over what I played for it and made some money. I sort of miss it because I like nice old S&W revolvers, but I doubt it would see anything more than a little range use because nothing has changed in the role I used it for.
Posted By: EdM Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I've had both a 17 and an 18 in the past. Wish I hadn't sold my 17, and for a while I was thinking that I also sold my 18 some years past, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure I did. It might be in my safe somewhere. I'm going to have to look for it.

I know the loss of what one owns...
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by EdM

I know the loss of what one owns...

It sometimes gets hard to keep track of what one has sold off and what one just hasn't seen in a few years because it's way in the back of the safe.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/01/20
Go for the M 18. I had his bigger brother, the M17 I unfortunately sold some years ago. It was not the lack of money but the lack of a reasonable gun law in Germany. If I would ever buy a 22 revolver again it would be the M18. And as an addition: The M 15 or his stainless cousin the M67
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Go for the M 18. I had his bigger brother, the M17 I unfortunately sold some years ago. It was not the lack of money but the lack of a reasonable gun law in Germany. If I would ever buy a 22 revolver again it would be the M18. And as an addition: The M 15 or his stainless cousin the M67

That's a nice combo to have.
Posted By: gunzo Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/01/20

The barrel rib on the 15 was wider(heavier) than the rib on the 18 to add weight due the loss of it on the 15 with it's bigger bore, making both guns weigh & balance nearly identical. I think that's neat as hell, & shows how much thought S&W put into building something.

So yes, what a pair to have.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/01/20
I had a 4" model 18 and later a model 17 6 " which I still have. The model 18 shot ok but nothing like the 17. Also have a 43 that I never use.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/01/20
Throwing in another 1,000 votes for the Model 18 (Democrat voting rules wink ).

Have owned 18's, 17's, 63's - the original 4" version - and 34's. All are accurate, the first two are generally more shootable.

The 18 will weigh roughly 33-34 ounces loaded which isn't obtrusive with a good belt holster and there are a ton of K-frame grips available to fit all hand sizes and individual tastes. Love me some J-frames but unless there is a criteria for a smaller grip they always felt a bit tiny in the hand, especially with the standard or service style grip.

Based on your stated purpose and that you're new to handguns I think the weight and grip size of the 18 will really help your shooting which will help your confidence which will help your shooting even more.

They are expensive at this time but it's still worthwhile to look and wait for a good one - pay once cry once.

I'll mention the Ruger SP101 4" .22, that's a nice little 8 shot that's a bit bigger and heavier than the J-frame Smiths but unfortunately Ruger's QC these days just isn't that hot. If you can examine one in person and it has a straight barrel and the front sight is on straight it'd be a good shooter.

But overall, that Model 18 is really a Cadillac of .22 revolvers, you would never regret buying one.

And now that I've promoted the K-frame over the J-frame I'll go back and say that this one really floats my boat for some reason. Model 35-1, J-frame with a 6" barrel. Basically it is to a Model 34 as the 17 is to a Model 18. Folks are very proud of these things nowadays.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Posted By: SLM Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/01/20
Thanks again all for the informative post.

18 it is.
Posted By: gunzo Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/02/20
Ah, common! not gonna look at 617's & stuff?

Just kidding. A model 18 should bring 10's of thousands of rounds of enjoyment. Enjoy!!
Posted By: SLM Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/02/20
Don’t confuse me more, I’m like a kid, don’t give me to many choices.

Besides, ‘Gruff suggested the 18, maybe I can grow a beard like his if I get the 18.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/02/20
Originally Posted by SLM
Don’t confuse me more, I’m like a kid, don’t give me to many choices.

Besides, ‘Gruff suggested the 18, maybe I can grow a beard like his if I get the 18.

A beard will improve damn near every aspect of your life. smile

K-frame .22's are rimfire nirvana.
Posted By: HawkI Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/02/20
18s/17s usually lock up tighter and Kframe triggers are miles better than Js.
Posted By: SLM Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/02/20
Wish you guys would have talked me into something cheaper.

That’s alright, the beard will be worth it.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/02/20
Buy the Model 18.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/03/20
Originally Posted by gunzo

The barrel rib on the 15 was wider(heavier) than the rib on the 18 to add weight due the loss of it on the 15 with it's bigger bore, making both guns weigh & balance nearly identical. I think that's neat as hell, & shows how much thought S&W put into building something.

So yes, what a pair to have.

Thank you for this information. I always wondered how they managed to achieve the same balance as the M17/M14 and M18/M15 were advertised to complement each other.

Indeed there must be a difference considering that the outside measurements are the same but there is more "meat" on the M18/M17 due to the smaller "hole/s" in the barrel and cylinder. Years ago I read an arcticle by Mike Venturino who stated that he didn't like the Colt SAA 357 because of a totally different balance than it's bigger bore cousins.
Posted By: dogdoc Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/03/20
Have both. The 3.5 inch model 43 from the early 70s would be better hiking gun due to size and weight. Much harder to shoot however since it is so light
Posted By: SLM Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/04/20
Ok, now that you guys have me spending a lot of money. Is there years/ -‘s better than others?

Pre 18’s better?
Posted By: navlav8r Re: S&W 18 vs 43. - 12/05/20
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Throwing in another 1,000 votes for the Model 18 (Democrat voting rules wink ).

Have owned 18's, 17's, 63's - the original 4" version - and 34's. All are accurate, the first two are generally more shootable.

The 18 will weigh roughly 33-34 ounces loaded which isn't obtrusive with a good belt holster and there are a ton of K-frame grips available to fit all hand sizes and individual tastes. Love me some J-frames but unless there is a criteria for a smaller grip they always felt a bit tiny in the hand, especially with the standard or service style grip.

Based on your stated purpose and that you're new to handguns I think the weight and grip size of the 18 will really help your shooting which will help your confidence which will help your shooting even more.

They are expensive at this time but it's still worthwhile to look and wait for a good one - pay once cry once.

I'll mention the Ruger SP101 4" .22, that's a nice little 8 shot that's a bit bigger and heavier than the J-frame Smiths but unfortunately Ruger's QC these days just isn't that hot. If you can examine one in person and it has a straight barrel and the front sight is on straight it'd be a good shooter.

But overall, that Model 18 is really a Cadillac of .22 revolvers, you would never regret buying one.

And now that I've promoted the K-frame over the J-frame I'll go back and say that this one really floats my boat for some reason. Model 35-1, J-frame with a 6" barrel. Basically it is to a Model 34 as the 17 is to a Model 18. Folks are very proud of these things nowadays.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Yes they are 😁. I bought one last year, probably paid a little more than I should have but it’s really slick and accurate.
© 24hourcampfire