Home
Posted By: Mac84 Red dot for a pistol - 12/01/20
Anyone run one? I’m thinking about a vortex venom to ride atop my Glock 45.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/01/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Do it and don’t look back . “Threat” or target focused shooting suits me so much better
Posted By: TWR Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/01/20
I have the Vortex Venom on my G17 MOS, it came on the pistol when I bought it. I figured I’d run it till it quit, send it in for warranty, sell the new one and buy an RMR.

Dang thing won’t die.

It has some glare that an RMR doesn’t have but the dot is bright and view is clearer except with the sun behind me. But for the price, it’s a fair dot.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/02/20
They work for sure & will likely make you a better shooter....................

But I hate seeing them on a gun.

MM
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/02/20
I would say no to the Venom and choose a model with “instant on”. I own several venoms/vipers/rmr/holosun.
Posted By: TWR Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/02/20
Oops, I have the Viper
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/02/20
Same thing...
Posted By: Ella Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/02/20

I like them on a deer hunting revolver.

Had the Bushnell 25 that did well for a couple of years. Am now on year 3 or 4 of a Vortex Venom. Much easier for my eyes than iron sights. Agree with those who find them an abomination. They badly unbalance a handgun.
Posted By: JGray Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/02/20
My 60 year old eyes like them more every day. I currently have red dots on 4 handguns (2 hunting revolvers, a 9mm and a 22 LR). I just ordered another red dot sight today for a Sig P365XL.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/02/20
I'm and RMR fan myself. My youngest daughter turned in this group at a family shoot a while back:

[Linked Image]

It was her first time shooting a Glock (She's a Sig fan), and the first time shooting a red dot equipped pistol.
YESSSSSSSSS

I bought a new Kimber with a Vortex already mounted on it last year. MUCH faster and very accurate. The future of handgun sights is now...
I have a RMR on my Glock 40, 10mm. I dont love it.
Posted By: skeen Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/02/20
3 Trijicon RMRs myself. But, to be fair, I've never ran anything else. Found what worked, I liked it, and never looked back.
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/03/20
I have a Venom on my G40. Love it! Very accurate!
I have a G17 with an RMR. Its as much of an enhancement to the pistol as a red dot on a rifle.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/03/20
Another RMR guy here and while it is a tough sight, it has taken a bit to get use to finding that red dot quickly. I’m sure that it is just muscle memory, but I think that I would have been a little happier with the larger window on the Tijicon SRO. I do see where Tijicon just brought out a RMRcc miniature red dot for the cc crowd on the smaller handguns. They sure improved my .45’s hit ability, but for concealed carry, I still prefer a good set of fiber optic sights.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/03/20
I use more Burris Fastfires currently, but also have several Holosums and a couple of C Mores.

Mike Holmes
Posted By: Huntingnut Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/03/20
Trijicon RMR is undoubtedly the most rugged. Leupold DeltaPoint Pro is a solid optic as well.
Posted By: JGray Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/04/20
I have RMR's on two hunting revolvers, a Fastfire on a Buckmark, a Holosun on a P320 and am waiting on another Holosun for the P365XL.
I prefer the Trijicon RMR and the Shield RMS-C, as they are always on and auto-adjust to the light conditions.

I've got a couple of other Micro red dots, that either you have to turn on/off or they do not auto-adjust (sometimes due to lighting the red dot can be washed out), so I much prefer the RMR/Shield. They're worth the extra coin.

Jerry
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/04/20
Originally Posted by Mac84
Anyone run one? I’m thinking about a vortex venom to ride atop my Glock 45.

If your life depends on this gun then don’t be stingy with the scope/reddot you put on it. Leupold or Trijicon.
Posted By: TNDave59 Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/07/20
I just put a Burris Fastfire 3 on my S&W 629 that I use for deer hunting. Haven’t had chance to field test yet but I think it will accommodate my poor 61 year old eyes as I can hardly see open sights anymore. I have not put red dots in any of my carry guns yet. Also thinking of putting one on AR.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/08/20
My ccw is a Shadow Systems MR918 with an RMR and its superb to my uses and wants.

Due to how Shadow Systems cuts their RMR slots they use standard sights and still cowitness. The Trijicon RMR is of course great in this role.

I want to try out the Holosun 507 with it’s closed lens emitter as it supposedly cuts down on the need to clean the glass to keep the dot from flaring on a dirty lens. Lots of LE buddies swear by them as well

Attached picture B95754AB-B6C1-4D80-B0C8-9FC8B032949F.jpeg
Posted By: JGray Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/09/20
A Holosun 507K micro red dot just arrived today for my P365XL. Been waiting on this one for months...
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/09/20
I just added the Trijicon SRO to my Glock 19 Gen 5 and a Holosun HE507C-GR-X2 to my Glock 19 Gen 4. They're both great sights but, based on my initial observations, I think this Holosun 507C with the green circle-dot will end up as my favorite. Can't wait to get them out to the range!!
Just finished mounting the 507K on the P365XL. Dont know why Sig has to tighten those screws that hold the rear sight/mount plate on so damn tight. One came out fine and the other was so tight the hex head stripped. I was sweating bullets drilling the head of the screw off trying not to bugger the under side of the slide. Came out fine but damn...
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/09/20
Originally Posted by JGray
Just finished mounting the 507K on the P365XL. Dont know why Sig has to tighten those screws that hold the rear sight/mount plate on so damn tight. One came out fine and the other was so tight the hex head stripped. I was sweating bullets drilling the head of the screw off trying not to bugger the under side of the slide. Came out fine but damn...

Had to do the same on an X Compact.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/09/20
Originally Posted by JGray
A Holosun 507K micro red dot just arrived today for my P365XL. Been waiting on this one for months...

Do us a favor and let us know how that works out. I have a P365XL that I've been thinking of: a) selling/trading or b) buying either a 507K or a Romeo Zero and just keeping it. From what I read, the Romeo Zero seems to work "fine"; but, that the Holosun 507K is more robust.
Will do - initial impression is that the dot is very quick to acquire compared to my other red dots (RMR, Fastfire and HS507C). That surprised me with the small windshield, but the 32moa circle/dot reticle pretty much fills the window so it's almost impossible to not pick up the reticle. The front sight is just visible under the circle/dot and the built in rear sight notch gives a bit of a cowitness.
Posted By: TNDave59 Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/12/20
I have a sig 227 that I’d like to put a reflexive red dot on eventually but not sure what modifications would be needed.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/13/20
Thanks for all the replies. Haven’t bought it yet but I’m pretty much decided on the holosun 507c x2
Posted By: Windfall Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/15/20
Originally Posted by TNDave59
I have a sig 227 that I’d like to put a reflexive red dot on eventually but not sure what modifications would be needed.

Dave, the guys that get real serious about mounting up a reflex red dot sight have their slide milled to fit the footprint of what they want to mount. That was more extreme than I wanted to get with my Para .45acp because I didn't know if I wanted to keep that RMR on that handgun or not. I contacted Evolution Gun Works out of Quakertown, PA. (egwguns.com) and they supplied an adapter plate that pressed into the rear sight dovetail. It mounts a little higher than the milled slide option and you can't use the rear sight to co-witness with the red dot, but it works great for someone who doesn't want to have their slide milled out and still mount up a red dot or go back to using the iron sights in the future. They should have a plate that will fit your 227 Glock dovetail. My adapter plate cost $58.49 with the shipping.
Posted By: Reba Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/15/20
Is there a Red Dot narrow enough to fit on a 1911 without hanging over the sides of the slide??

I know the slide will have to be milled for mounting.
The RMR is on a lot of 1911s.

I run an RMR on a G17.

Big cat was on my trail.

Posted By: TNDave59 Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/19/20
Originally Posted by Windfall

Dave, the guys that get real serious about mounting up a reflex red dot sight have their slide milled to fit the footprint of what they want to mount. That was more extreme than I wanted to get with my Para .45acp because I didn't know if I wanted to keep that RMR on that handgun or not. I contacted Evolution Gun Works out of Quakertown, PA. (egwguns.com) and they supplied an adapter plate that pressed into the rear sight dovetail. It mounts a little higher than the milled slide option and you can't use the rear sight to co-witness with the red dot, but it works great for someone who doesn't want to have their slide milled out and still mount up a red dot or go back to using the iron sights in the future. They should have a plate that will fit your 227 Glock dovetail. My adapter plate cost $58.49 with the shipping.

Perfect, thanks! Just the information I was looking for and will definitely look into EGW as I didn’t want to have the milling done.
Posted By: Reba Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/20/20
Who mills Glock slides for low profile red dots??
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Red dot for a pistol - 12/29/20
Agency Arms maybe?

Ordered up my holosun a few days ago. Should be arriving soon. Reports to follow
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/02/21
Originally Posted by Windfall

I have been wanting to try one of this dovetail apadpter plates on my XDM.
Has this been reliable? Hold zero?
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/02/21
This looks interesting:

Posted By: Windfall Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/02/21
Mine doesn’t wobble if that is any indication. EGW has a lot of these mounting plates and I don’t shoot my Para all that often, but if it has changed zero, I sure can’t tell it. EGW did not have a mount specifically for the Para, but years back I had my handgun reworked that included a Novak rear sight and dovetail and EGW did have a Novak mount. My gunsmith did the base install with a sight pusher and it is really tight. Mine is just a range toy and the Commander size Para- P12 is a whole lot more accurate in my hands than it ever was with the iron sights. I get a few of the firearm periodicals every month and the red dot sights are sure showing up in the magazines way more than they use to. My edc handguns still have open sights and the CZ has the fiber optic sight set that I like.

While I can shoot more accurately with the red dot, because it sticks up higher than the fiber optics, I think that it could snag on clothing more easily for an edc sight.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/11/21
Got my Holosun mounted up and zeroed today. I’ve spent a career gunning irons so this will take a bit to get used to.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by Reba
Who mills Glock slides for low profile red dots??

ATEI in Downriver Detroit has a very good reputation around here. They started off doing prototype machined intake manifolds for the car companies IIRC and then branched out. I think it's a major source of their business now.
https://ateiguns.com/
Posted By: Blacktails Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/11/21
I recently bought a Swampfox Sentinel to install on my Canik Elite SC. Haven't shot with a red dot before, but they have my interest.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/11/21
the sentinels are kinda tiny, but once you get used to them, they are kinda handy....
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
This looks interesting:

I have two of these on order and can't wait to get them mounted up and rolling. That reticle is a game-changer IMO.....
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by Mac84
I’ve spent a career gunning irons so this will take a bit to get used to.

I just made my second trip to the range with a Holosun 507K X2 on my Sig P365 XL, and I feel the same way! I find the whole thing rather distracting, especially the circle dot reticle on this sight which covers up a lot of a small target at distance. But then, when I go to the dot only, I have a harder time picking it up, and then I find myself chasing it around on the target instead of shooting the darn thing. I don't know how much ammo I am willing to allocate to this experiment.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/16/21
I just got a Canik TP9FSx and want to try an optic on top. It comes with plates for the popular styles. To keep the cost down I want to use Cabela's points up. Unfortunately their selection SUCKS these days. On the lower end the choice is between the Vortex Venom or Viper. Main difference is 3 vs. 6 moa dot. Both can be had for $250 and they have a good warranty. Stepping up double the cost, they do have the RMR. The Holosun 507C is not available, nor is the Leupold or Burris. Until I know I like them I'm not ready to spend $500 on the optic so I guess it will be one of the Vortex. I'll just be banging steel and shooting informal targets for now. Rest of the time is will be a house gun with a light on it. I'm leaning to the 6MOA due to research saying it is easier to pickup and so forth. I won't be head shooting squirrels with this rig so which one would you go with?
Posted By: RufusG Re: Red dot for a pistol - 01/16/21
Resale on RMRs is pretty good. I don't know about the Vortex dots in comparison. It may be that the RMR is less of a risk financially, I would look into that first.
© 24hourcampfire