Home

what would the value be on this gun......very good condition ....thanks......bob

6 inch barrel
Not an expert here, but there are a lot of variables even given those bounds. When it was made, barrel length, etc. High level, my sense is probably $650 to $1,100 depending on specifics.
$650+/-50.
1. Several pics and "-" number would help.

2. Are the grips numbered to the gun?

3. Do you have the original box?
Originally Posted by BobMt

what would the value be on this gun......very good condition ....thanks......bob

6 inch barrel
"NRA Very Good" condition or just one in great shape? NRA Very Good isn't very nice for that new of a gun. I'm guessing though that you mean a gun that's pretty danged near new-in-box, but not quite. The wooden grips suggest pre-Hillary hole which helps a lot. This is probably the high point of S&W's full-size, non-formal target guns. My guess is in near-NIB condition, $900.

thanks for the help every one.....ee you have it right...ld I am the original owner but did not keep the box...they are the original grips......bob
Always keep the box
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

6 inch barrel
"NRA Very Good" condition or just one in great shape? NRA Very Good isn't very nice for that new of a gun. I'm guessing though that you mean a gun that's pretty danged near new-in-box, but not quite. The wooden grips suggest pre-Hillary hole which helps a lot. This is probably the high point of S&W's full-size, non-formal target guns. My guess is in near-NIB condition, $900.

No, new S&W 617 with 10 cartridge cylinder has MSRP of $853. NIB 617-2 could go for $900 or little more.
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Always keep the box

I have bought plenty of used guns the boxes dont add value to me.....some people it does....bob
Always keep the box

I have bought plenty of used guns the boxes dont add value to me.....some people it does....bob

If you ever plan to sell it most certainly does, rising in value the same as the firearm, at least.
Originally Posted by EdM
Always keep the box

If you ever plan to sell it most certainly does, rising in value the same as the firearm, at least.

that is why I said ...to me ....but some people it does......myself...I would never let whether.it had the box or not be the determining factor in buying a gun.. ..

I get the fact that some people want it........bob
I know someone who spent $2K for a Registered Magnum box.
In my mind a S&W 617 6 inch barrel is priceless.
Depends on the buyer, this one is getting collectable. Having the box etc. Does add value. To me and many others. Check the price on the auction sites. Boxes and accessories will bring more money.
My 617-4 is a 4” and I would not sell it for $800. With out the lock they are getting hard to find. Mine is very accurate, not as svelte as a model 17, but a very good shooter.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Depends on the buyer, this one is getting collectable. Having the box etc. Does add value. To me and many others. Check the price on the auction sites. Boxes and accessories will bring more money.

The box absolutely adds value.

There's a 6" 617 pre-lock sitting on an auction site right now with no box, no bids for $925.

The 2 statements above are not intentionally related. But, possibly they are.
$6-700 is my guess
There's a 617-1 6", with all accessories (including box),100% new, on Fugate's website. Price is $1300.00.
Bob

I gave up looking at Fugates website,.... Always way high pricing’

Originally Posted by RGK
There's a 617-1 6", with all accessories (including box),100% new, on Fugate's website. Price is $1300.00.
Bob
Originally Posted by hikerbum

Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Roger that. They do have some nice stuff, though.
Bob
BobMT: If you are in Montana and decide on a price and your price appeals to me I will drive over and hand you cash for your Model 617-?!
Two days before this just past Christmas I bought a filthy dirty gritty powder caked Smith & Wesson Model 617-6 (10 shot model with the hillary lock) with a 4 inch barrel.
I paid $440.00 for it from a gunshop.
I spent 3 hours one day and an hour and a half the next day scrubbing and scraping the powder residue and tarnish off of that all around filthy little pistol
I would MUCH rather have a 6" barrel 6 shot model like you are seeking info on.
Now that I have the 617-6 all cleaned up and carefully and lightly polished with FLITZ it looks REALLY good. And the tarnish and discoloration from its long term storage in a leather holster is now no longer detectable.
I plan on selling my pistol for as close to $600.00 as I can get. Amazingly the cylinder lock-up and detonation timing are both very pleasing on my previously abused/ignored/never cleaned pistol.
IF.... you would answer the question Mr. Local dirt asked about the dash number (617-?) and post a picture or two I will give you my assessment of what your pistol is worth.
GLWYS and let me know if a face to face sale would suit you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by RGK

Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Roger that. They do have some nice stuff, though.
Bob

They do look nice, but I noticed a few have been touched up or refinished and they sell them as NIB

VG.....thanks....I am in montana......but I sold the gun to a friend of mine ...650.......bob
BobMt: Thanks for the comeback and that WAS a "friendly" price.
I'll keep lookin.
Long live Smith & Wesson (though I soon hope that the hillary type "j" lock on their revolvers soon dies!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I'll keep lookin.
Long live Smith & Wesson (though I soon hope that the hillary type "j" lock on their revolvers soon dies!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

No kidding. I have only 2 - a 642 and a 686+. Both good guns, but I will not contribute further to S&W' s determined ass-sucking. The rest are all pre-locks.

Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[quote=hikerbum]

Me too. I try to focus on actual GB sales.
Probably too cheap . But if it was a real friend, who cares. The older pre locks with original stocks were fetching $800-$850 pretty easy before the inflated 2020 market .
I'll keep lookin.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

vg...ld and others......a little update...I knew as soon as the money hit my hand I made a mistake and immediately told him I would buy it back if he was to sell it....couple days later he said you want it back I felt a little bad...but said only if you are sure about it....he said bring the 650.....got the gun and holster back..

for those who asked it is... no dash.......bob
BobMt: I am glad your friend decided to sell that pistol back to you.
That was nice of him.
Enjoy and keep me in mind should you decide on cash instead of the pistol.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'll keep lookin.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

vg...ld and others......a little update...I knew as soon as the money hit my hand I made a mistake and immediately told him I would buy it back if he was to sell it....couple days later he said you want it back I felt a little bad...but said only if you are sure about it....he said bring the 650.....got the gun and holster back..

for those who asked it is... no dash.......bob

Bob, to keep it short, you're looking at $850 at least.
© 24hourcampfire