Home
Posted By: EdM A Pair of 45 Colts Today - 01/07/21
I took two recently acquired SA 45 Colts out today and was pleased with both. The one on top is a Standard Manufacturing (SM) and the lower a short run (500) Turnbull Ruger Bisley. Both about as well put together as any SA's, including customs and FA. The SM is the first non-adjustable sighted revolver I have ever owned in 40+ years of handgun ownership. I put a load together with the MBW RCBS 270 SAA over 18 grs of IMR-4227 with CCI 300's in Starline brass. I was pleased to find that the SM was dead on at 25 yards with this load. Of course, the Ruger was easy to dial and I was pleased that the rear sight that sat left as purchased corrected to center once dialed so well put together. I did have to fix the throats on the Ruger and cut an 11 degree forcing cone as well (this I do with about everything I own). I am done with load work on these two.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Very nice set.
Those are Super Sweet looking!
Posted By: SBTCO Re: A Pair of 45 Colts Today - 01/07/21
Very nice pistols, especially the Bisley, my favorite single action.

Ever thought about putting a Bowen Rough Country rear sight on the Bisley? https://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=33

I have one on my Ruger factory Bisley 45 colt along with a Belt Mountain cylinder base pin, works very well and a definite upgrade in both function aesthetics.
The SM SAA revolvers are said to be a good bit better made than any Colt ever was, inside and out.
Nice Smokestacks, Ed!
Very nice, really like the SM.

Hell yeah !
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: A Pair of 45 Colts Today - 01/07/21
Two very classy looking 45's Ed!

Dick
Posted By: jwp475 Re: A Pair of 45 Colts Today - 01/07/21

Beautiful
Ed, those are very fine handguns! smile

I guess I'm getting out of the loop... I'd never heard much about Standard Manufacturing before you mentioned them above. If I did, it didn't catch my ear.

I went and looked, and they sure appear to make some quality firearms.

Being a 1911 fan, I of course had to check out the ones they make. Maybe I shouldn't have... grin

Found this..

With some nice stag or ivory grips, that would make your eyes pop! shocked
welcome to the new additions to your remuda, Ed.
Very nice.
Posted By: EdM Re: A Pair of 45 Colts Today - 01/07/21
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Very nice pistols, especially the Bisley, my favorite single action.

Ever thought about putting a Bowen Rough Country rear sight on the Bisley? https://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=33

I have one on my Ruger factory Bisley 45 colt along with a Belt Mountain cylinder base pin, works very well and a definite upgrade in both function aesthetics.

I have a number of Bowen sights but I think I am going to leave this one as is. Same with the BM base pin.
Beautiful pistols, Ed.
I can second the Rough Country Sight suggestion, I have q set on my Bowen- tuned Blackhawk, and love 'em.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: A Pair of 45 Colts Today - 01/07/21
That is one beautiful pair of 45 Colts.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: A Pair of 45 Colts Today - 01/07/21
Originally Posted by EdM
I took two recently acquired SA 45 Colts out today and was pleased with both. The one on top is a Standard Manufacturing (SM) and the lower a short run (500) Turnbull Ruger Bisley. Both about as well put together as any SA's, including customs and FA. The SM is the first non-adjustable sighted revolver I have ever owned in 40+ years of handgun ownership. I put a load together with the MBW RCBS 270 SAA over 18 grs of IMR-4227 with CCI 300's in Starline brass. I was pleased to find that the SM was dead on at 25 yards with this load. Of course, the Ruger was easy to dial and I was pleased that the rear sight that sat left as purchased corrected to center once dialed so well put together. I did have to fix the throats on the Ruger and cut an 11 degree forcing cone as well (this I do with about everything I own). I am done with load work on these two.

SERIOUSLY nice Gat's dude...I enthusiastically approve this message!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: A Pair of 45 Colts Today - 01/07/21
Very nice pair. I love my Turnbull. I bought a 44 Mag version to go with it.
© 24hourcampfire