Home
Posted By: jorgeI LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
So I contact my local drug dealer, err gun shop and ask them to find/order me a 41. My friend says sure but before I start looking, you need to come in and see this;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So did I screw up?
Posted By: jimy Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
Only if you are left handed .
Posted By: GunGeek Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
I would take that over a 41 in a New York minute.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
I've always heard the 41 was THE 22 pistol to have, but frankly, I'm a Colt guy and this one looked like you could hang tags on it and it cost me a little more, but it's a beautiful piece.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
If you're serious about bullseye competition the 41 offers more flexibility due to the ability to mount optics, and availability to get a wide array of accessories. Accuracy wise there's just no difference; both are just wicked accurate. The Colt is WAY cooler than the S&W and with open sights, it's every bit as accurate; maybe even more.
Posted By: wahoo Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
there's a reason the colts are colectors items and the 41s are used in matches. that being said both will shoot better than most shooters and you can't go wrong.

will it be used, or is it a safe queen?
Posted By: UPhiker Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
Our S&W rep told me several months ago that 41's were backordered for 2 years. The shop I worked at was a large S&W dealer and I couldn't even get one. I had to call around and get one from a huge independent--Williams Gunsight. So, unless your local dealer was a huge dealer, I doubt if your order would be showing up anytime soon. You did good.
My competition days are long over and yes the Colt's "cool factor" far outweighs the S&Ws..
Posted By: gzig5 Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
I've got a Series 2 like that is in 99.5% condition in a custom Colt case with a spare mag. I'm afraid to take to the range and shoot it for fear of how well it will probably shoot and being terrified to put a blemish in it. If I know how accurate it is, I'm going to want to play with it.
You definitely did not screw up. That is a very cool pistol, nothing against the S&W 41, it's a great pistol, but the Colt is in a class all by it's self.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
Originally Posted by jorgeI
My competition days are long over and yes the Colt's "cool factor" far outweighs the S&Ws..

At our age, we don't need a valid reason to buy something we like. "Because" works just fine. That's how I got my 41.
Originally Posted by gzig5
I've got a Series 2 like that is in 99.5% condition in a custom Colt case with a spare mag. I'm afraid to take to the range and shoot it for fear of how well it will probably shoot and being terrified to put a blemish in it. If I know how accurate it is, I'm going to want to play with it.

WTF shoot it and take care of it, what little wear you put on it won't cost you what taking your ole lady out for dinner and drinks a couple of times at some do wah , in place will. Just make sure you have a quality beverage after shooting it to celebrate the event.
Posted By: utah708 Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
Now you still have the opportunity to get the 41.
That's a sweet pony. I agree you didn't screw up. I do love my 41 performance center model though. It is the most accurate handgun in the safe. Literally split playing cards on edge at 10 yards. It is however, extremely picky with ammo in terms of feeding, needs round nose, standard or high velocity, CCI preferred.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
Originally Posted by wahoo
there's a reason the colts are colectors items and the 41s are used in matches. that being said both will shoot better than most shooters and you can't go wrong.

will it be used, or is it a safe queen?

Yeah, this is true. The reason being, S&W manages to stay in the consumer handgun business making 41's and Colt has been unable to get their corporate head out of their corporate azz for more than a month or so at a time in the memory of most still living.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
Great score, Jorge. Now get out and find that 41 Smith. Oh, by the way, let us know if you find a good source of ammunition for those .22's.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
I like that one!
I've always heard the 41 was THE 22 pistol to have, but frankly, I'm a Colt guy and this one looked like you could hang tags on it and it cost me a little more, but it's a beautiful piece.
It is definitely a beautiful gun. Congrats. I had one just like it but with factory plastic grips and not in as good condition. That one is excellent. I would still search for a 41. I've never owned one but would like to.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Great score, Jorge. Now get out and find that 41 Smith. Oh, by the way, let us know if you find a good source of ammunition for those .22's.

Somebody just PM'd me about one and I responded. We'll see
Posted By: GF1 Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/07/21
Nice pistol. I’ve had Colt Match Targets, High Standard Trophies, Model 41s. Liked them all.

There is a little something Classic about the Colts, but mine went down the road and the Model 41s stayed. I do love to shoot the 41s especially. Now if I can just find a holster for one with the 5” sporter barrel...
Originally Posted by gzig5

Quit being a puss.....
Posted By: GunGeek Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/08/21
Not shooting a gun I own seems blasphemous to me.
Some guys think they are like Lone Wati's piece of hard rock candy. "It's not for using, it's just for looking at"....

So I contact my local drug dealer, err gun shop and ask them to find/order me a 41. My friend says sure but before I start looking, you need to come in and see this;

So did I screw up?

It is beautiful. But that barrel is so, uhh, loooong.....grin

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: HawkI Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/08/21
Posted By: GunGeek Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/08/21
Originally Posted by HawkI
Well done...very nice collection of target grade semi-auto .22's. You have the best target grade pistols the US ever produced. Color me jealous my friend.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
I like the 41. I have 3 barrels for mine. Problem is I can’t decide which one I like the most. Hasbeen
Posted By: SargeMO Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/09/21
Great thread.
Posted By: RGK Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/09/21
Shot the M41 a lot with the Army team. Had several, both issued and personally owned, before switching to a Hammerli 208. After retiring and turning in my 208, I started shooting the 41 again. Lots of fun with the old gun.
Bob

Picked up a newer 41; one of the Performance Center guns. After one of my AMU armorer buddies tuned the extractor and trigger (I like a nice roll-off break), it shoots as well as any 41.

Posted By: mp44 Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/10/21
That colt looks very nice!!

My 41

One of the two guns I regret trading off in my youth. The other is a dan wesson 357 mag.
I saw one about like Huntsman's online for $1500.
Posted By: Kp321 Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/11/21
Having owned both Woodsmans and 41’s, I will chime in with my opinion, for what it’s worth. A lot of the decision will come down to fit and what you will use it for. The Colt grip is a little smaller than the 41 so might fit smaller hands better. The grip angles are also different, for Bullseye shooting, the 41 is preferred because the grip angle is closer to the 1911 platform. I plink with my Colt and shoot competition with the 41.
Personally, I would jump on the Colt, they don’t show up every day, especially in that condition. There will always be another 41 around. I would not buy a new 41 anyway, the QC at S&W is not what it once was. Look for a good used one instead. Mine are from the 60’s and 70’s and shoot great!
Posted By: longarm Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/12/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Love my 41. This one was tuned by an old timer, now long passed, at S&W. Runs flawlessly
Posted By: pacecars Re: LOOKING FOR AN S&W MOD 41 - 01/14/21
Kings Firearms has a couple different Mosel 41s in stock
© 24hourcampfire