Home
Posted By: SargeMO My old Browning Buckmark - 01/09/21
I recently picked up a 1989 Browning Buckmark ‘Standard’ from a friend. The first one I shot was one of these early guns and it sold me on them.

[Linked Image]

I've looked at a half dozen new rubber-grip, finger-groove fiber optic Buckmarks with money in my pocket and no urge to buy one; so when this one became available, I jumped on it. Its trigger is a crisp, clean 2 3/4 pounds. Perfect, with a tiny bit of over-travel. The only thing I've added to this pistol is a strip of rubber Talon grip material to the front and rear grip straps. This is going to be my ‘Offhand Tune-up Pistol' so it will be shot a lot one-handed. Browning also made a trigger with an overtravel stop, intended for the Buckmark Silhouette and one or two other dedicated target variants. I'll either find one or add a stop screw to this one. I just needed to determine if the pistol is accurate enough to warrant it.

When the weather broke, I finally got a chance to really zero it. I took along a folding table and an old backpack I keep loaded with first aid & range gear. That bag was used for a rest. I had a part box of Federal Automatch and I used that for rough zeroing at 25 yards.

Once that was accomplished I switched to Federal '550 Pack' 36 grain copper plated hollow point. I got acquainted with his load in the mid 80s. Back then it was sold in a red 50 round boxes. From my Ruger MKI 6 7/8” Target Model, it was about as accurate as Winchester T22- and killed squirrels much better.

I shoot better on 3D targets than paper, so I turned the Buckmark on my Do-All Spinner target from 25 yards. The first five rounds of Federal HP hit near center of the 2 7/8" top plate. I moved the rest back to 50 yards and fired 15 total at the 4 1/2" bottom plate. It wiggled with every shot and even recorded a respectable cluster, once I perfected my sight picture.

[Linked Image]

I am real pleased with the way this old pistol shoots.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 01/09/21
I wish we could get a LIKE button here.

Anyhow, I like your new Gat... I remember when Browning first offered that model, I was Jonesing for one real bad...Never did get one. Enjoy, that's a great pistol.
My oldest kid has my old slabside bunkmarp now. I don't know how many kids have tried to wear it out over the years....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I always wanted another since giving it to the kid, so when I took the plunge a few years ago, I went all 'New Age' on one. A Black Label UDX carbon fiber with laser. I added a FF III and some Tandemkross goodies..... nothing feels as good in my hand as a UDX framed buckmark

sarge, the TK buckmark trigger has an overtravel..

Posted By: GunGeek Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 01/09/21
Huntsman...You need a 12 step program for .22 handguns. But you know what they say...Rehab is for quitters!!
Posted By: SargeMO Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 01/09/21
Good another Buck Mark junkie. Misery loves company wink
Posted By: trplem Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 01/09/21
Mine is a slightly later one with the schmancy rubber thumbrest grips. It was the first pistol I ever bought for myself back in '92. Gander Mountain sold it brand new for $220 and change-big money for a 22 year old back then. Three days and 2k worth of rando bulk pack convinced me it was money very well spent. Yours sounds like it's every bit as good as the one in the front of my #1 safe.
Posted By: LouisB Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 01/09/21
I owned 3 different Rugers and none shot well for me.

The Buckmark for whatever reason did!
Never did figure out the difference in fit, but apparently it is there!
I have always liked the Buckmark. I was looking at a long barreled on and looked too long. I'll find one some day. I have an old threaded barrel Medalist. I haven't needed to test ammo as the same Federal Automatch works so well I bought two cases of it. I also have a threaded top for the Ruger MK IV. Will get one of those first. I know you will have fun with that pistola SargeMO. Be Well, RZ.
I have a Tacsol threaded barrel for the buckmark. But I generally just use the smith....

Posted By: EdM Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 01/10/21
Decent deals are still out there.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/handguns/buckmark-camper-22lr-5-5-ufx.html

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/handguns/browning-buckmark-micro-bull-ufx-22lr.html
Posted By: SargeMO Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 01/10/21
That's a great deal on that Micro, Ed.
Posted By: buffybr Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 01/10/21
I've had two Buckmark pistols in the past 30+ years. Both were very accurate and fun to shoot. My ex-wife stole my first one, and the one that I have now has their 5.5" bull barrel. When .22 LR cartridges were 500 for $10 I used to shoot my Buckmark a lot. Now I can reload cast bullets in my centerfire pistols for the same price or less than the cost of .22's...IF you can find a store with .22's.
Originally Posted by buffybr
I've had two Buckmark pistols in the past 30+ years. Both were very accurate and fun to shoot. My ex-wife stole my first one, and the one that I have now has their 5.5" bull barrel. When .22 LR cartridges were 500 for $10 I used to shoot my Buckmark a lot. Now I can reload cast bullets in my centerfire pistols for the same price or less than the cost of .22's...IF you can find a store with .22's.

Crazy isn't it?
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 01/10/21
I had a Buckmark Micro and it was very accurate. I think I sold it on here, still regret it.
[quote=GunGeek]I wish we could get a LIKE button here.

Amen. Now I’m moved to dust off my MkIII and see if it will shoot close to that well - or maybe it’s if I can....
I've always said, if the Russians show up....I'll take my buckmark and never feel insecure.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 01/18/21
Great guns
Originally Posted by high_country_
I've always said, if the Russians show up....I'll take my buckmark and never feel insecure.

Wolverines!!!!!!!.....
Posted By: alukban Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 09/10/21
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachments/bc14507a-5e45-4f79-aa8a-2021adbe3c08-jpeg.943809/

Posted By: 43Shooter Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 09/11/21
I bought one of the old slab sided models back around 1990 that came with a great trigger. Ten years or so ago I bought a 4" slab side barrel for it. I'd always liked the Buckmark and like it even more with the shorter barrel.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 09/11/21
After shooting it some, I'm gonna find some fat, checkered grips for this old Standard. The OEMs are fine for shooting two handed but I want to do some 50 yard one-hand Bullseye plinking with it and something thicker would sure fit me better.
Posted By: JGray Re: My old Browning Buckmark - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
...I added a FF III and some Tandemkross goodies..... nothing feels as good in my hand as a UDX framed buckmark

Thanks to this post, I now have Tandemkross goodies and new grips coming for this one... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire