Home
Posted By: jorgeI SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/10/21
Buying a new safe and my "friend: the owner says, :hey, the gun you ordered came in (I had forgotten about it). He had two, this one and a short barreled version....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/10/21
Looks like a heap of fun to me. I even like the plywood grips.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/10/21
Was that what one might call a "left handed compliment"?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/10/21
How in the hell...

...Did you forget that?

Birthday, anniversary, doctors appointment,
I've forgot them all.

But not that!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/10/21
Well, do you remember promising that to me next trip to Pa?
I said, "I'll buy breakfast and pay half the transfer"?

Nice purchase.
I'll be in PA on March 4th. I have a business trip to DC so we're driving up that Thursday through Sunday to check our cabin...
Posted By: UPhiker Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/10/21
Add an Ultradot to it and you'll be set!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/10/21
I'da got the 5.5"......
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'da got the 5.5"......

Had them both in my hand and it was a tough choice, but my Target Woodsman is 5.5" so I figured 'd go 7". It was a TOUGH choice..
I'm having a tough time finding a holster though!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/10/21
See?......grin
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/10/21
Great looking pistol Jorge, congratulations.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/11/21
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'll be in PA on March 4th. I have a business trip to DC so we're driving up that Thursday through Sunday to check our cabin...

Knew had kin up here.
Where?
Posted By: deflave Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/11/21
Buying a new safe and my "friend: the owner says, :hey, the gun you ordered came in (I had forgotten about it). He had two, this one and a short barreled version....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Whoooah, mama.

Congrats.
Posted By: EdM Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/11/21
Nice. I was living in Midland Texas circa 1996 and would often drop by the LGS, "Between The Walls", and browse. I bought and swapped a number of pieces over a couple of years of living there. One day I dropped by to visit and saw an early 7/12" M41 laying on the counter "behind the counter"... I queried and he handed it to me, nice and about mint. Price? "I just took it in for $300, let me make 10% and it's yours". It became mine. Some years later Midway had a clearance going on 5 1/2" barrels for, IIRC, $175? I ordered one and with little work fit it to my frame. Another outstanding shooter. I need to drag it out as it has been a while.
Very nice. I've never owned a model 41.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/11/21
Was that what one might call a "left handed compliment"?

Nope, I like the 41s, but a nice gun like that should get a real wooden set of stocks. Smith should know better. I've had laminate rifle stocks before, but they just don't flip my switches for long. Gimme real wood.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/11/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Knew had kin up here.
Where?

They are originally from Alexandria and Huntingdon. My FIL now lives in Florida. My wife has a cabin up there on 100 acres in Rothrock state forest.
Just got back from shooting it. I think I like my Colt Target Woodsman 6" better, but this is a lovely gun as well although it does not like fancy target ammo like Norma.. Shot Magtech and HK (all standard velocity) really well. Sights were a joy to adjust. I'm glad I bought the 7"
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/11/21
Jorge1: I also like the laminated wood grips - I have NOT seen one of these in person.
Good for you - enjoy.
I have shot MANY Model 41's but never owned one of my own - maybe theres time?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: UPhiker Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/11/21
Try CCI Standard Velocity.
That's what S&W customer service told to try.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/12/21
Ok. Was curious, we are in Bedford.
Hope the weather is decent for you, our outlook now is snowy.
Not anything to empty the stores of bread and toilet paper, but 1-2 inches every day.

Holler if you might end up over this way.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/12/21
Something similar happened to me about six years ago at my local gun shop. One of the owners put a Smith 41 5” barreled model in my hand and I took the bait. I put some smaller grips on mine for a better fit in my hands. I believe they’re tested for function with CCI standard velocity rounds but match rounds can bring out its capabilities. Try it with a handgun scope or a red dot if you want to see what it’ll really do......especially if you have a teeny problem using irons with “mature” eyeballs. 😊
Posted By: local_dirt Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/12/21
Very nice, jorge.

And no Hillary Hole.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/12/21
That's what S&W customer service told to try.

Shoot well across all my guns.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/12/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ok. Was curious, we are in Bedford.
Hope the weather is decent for you, our outlook now is snowy.
Not anything to empty the stores of bread and toilet paper, but 1-2 inches every day.

Holler if you might end up over this way.

Absolutely.
Posted By: Gibby Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/12/21
Just got back from shooting it. I think I like my Colt Target Woodsman 6" better, but this is a lovely gun as well although it does not like fancy target ammo like Norma.. Shot Magtech and HK (all standard velocity) really well. Sights were a joy to adjust. I'm glad I bought the 7"

You do know that you can have both size barrels. They are interchangeable on the 41.

Someone told me that their late model 41 in the instruction manual said that you can shoot HV ammo in it. Is that true? My older 41 said specifically not to use HV ammo. I would not do it, but I'm curious.

Note: I'm with Rat's. Stick wood is better than plywood, but what the hell, it's a 41.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by Gibby

You do know that you can have both size barrels. They are interchangeable on the 41.

Someone told me that their late model 41 in the instruction manual said that you can shoot HV ammo in it. Is that true? My older 41 said specifically not to use HV ammo. I would not do it, but I'm curious.

Note: I'm with Rat's. Stick wood is better than plywood, but what the hell, it's a 41.

Yes I do, but I'm fine with the 7". As to the ammo, I'll have to read the manual and get back to you. I do know that in my OLD (pre) Woodsman, it's standard velocity only, but the newer Target Woodsman can do both and I expect it will be the same for the 41
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/16/21

SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP......

...the words I can start a sentence with and immediately invoke under-her-breath "[EXPLETIVE DELETED]" from my wife.....
Posted By: Windfall Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
[quote=jorgeI]
SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP......

...the words I can start a sentence with and immediately invoke under-her-breath "[EXPLETIVE DELETED]" from my wife.....

smile Mine calls it "The dumb 'ol gun store". Our Cabela's/Bass Pro store is right near the grocery store and I threaten to go in there with her in the car, but she never answers in the affirmative. Better that she doesn't know more than she does. She knows that I'd need a scope for a rifle, but she doesn't know a Simmons from a Swarovski.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/24/21
Update for you guys. The gun operates flawlessly with CCI and Magtech standard vel ammo, but the Norma TAC 22 created a few failure to extract and or feed and the HK almost as bad. Go figure.
Posted By: 222Sako Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/24/21
Update for you guys. The gun operates flawlessly with CCI and Magtech standard vel ammo, but the Norma TAC 22 created a few failure to extract and or feed and the HK almost as bad. Go figure.

Interesting; my new M&P 1522 pistol doesn't like Norma TAC 22 either. I know, two completely different animals, but both S&W. My 1522 carbine has run through hundreds of rounds of TAC 22 without a hiccup.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/24/21
I had an old retired friend when I was about 22 years old and knew everything. He invited me to come to his home and I brought my daughter of 3 years age with me. He loved the little one, Cookie. We talked and he proceeded to show me an old blunderbuss and lots of guns. All originals and no unfired ones. Both black powder and up to almost modern era cartridge guns, but the one I wanted so much was an old long barreled 41. I should have gotten into the will. The nephew that got the guns wouldn't even sell one. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/24/21
I really enjoy shooting my 41. I managed to pick up a sport barrel. Really can’t decide which of the 3 I like best.
Hasbeen
Posted By: killerv Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/25/21
Whats a good price on these? My lgs has one in stock but its been sitting awhile.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SO I'M AT THE GUN SHOP - 02/25/21
© 24hourcampfire