Home
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
His words, not mine. wink

Posted By: SargeMO Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
That boy is a slow study, It's been obsolete since the 23 was introduced.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
I think the assertion that the G19 is obsolete hinges on the availability of those Shield Arms 15 round magazines. And from what I understand those S15 magazines are a little hard to come by.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
Obsolete is one of those words that means something different to everyone. He's using it as a synonym for "less efficiently packaged" and that's at the very least quite a stretch.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
So if Shield Arms made a 20 round mag for the G19 it'd be back in good graces?
Posted By: smallfry Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
It’s one of the most produced and used handguns in the world, so no. Another narcissistic YouTuber that has an opinion on the smallest end of the facts.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
One has to wonder how much these youtube videos affect sales.

The 23 comment was in jest. If a fella has a carry gun of any variety that he can shoot well and run on autopilot, why fix something that works? I don't even like Glocks, yet my most carried & shot pistol is an old Gen 2 G22 with carefully zeroed night sights, just the way I like them- bright in front and dim in back. Yeah there's newer, neater 40s out there, with better grips, triggers and a round or two more capacity.

I don't care. I'm used to this one.
Posted By: Cattledog Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
G19 isn’t going anywhere, but would like to see Shield offer a mag upgrade as they’ve done for 43x/48.

FWIW, S15 mags are only 1 week backorder, easy to get.
Saw it yesterday. Left my comments on his ridiculous proposition under the video.

He's getting a lot of grief for it in the comments.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
Smaller, thinner, lighter....can't really argue with those facts.

Easier to shoot????……..I'm not so sure I'm buying that.

Either way, it's always a good show when someone gores a sacred cow.....grin.
Posted By: dla Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
Great! Now let the price fall back to $300 and I'll buy another.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
If G19s are obsolete , pack those pieces of schitt up and send them to me, I'll pay shipping...
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
I don't think a Glock 19 is obsolete. But the price of a Glock 19 is obsolete.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Interesting.
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/01/21
Psa dagr 9...wait it used to be $299.00 then Covid/biden and ammo companies slowed production so we're all screwed. Not a rocket surgeon but if we had ammo for ww2 Korea Vietnam the gulf wars war on terror and now very little? Somebody's lying to us.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/01/21
Tons of brand new Glock 19Gen5s in my area for sale
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/01/21
Originally Posted by Jericho
Tons of brand new Glock 19Gen5s in my area for sale

Online, too. Prolly cheaper.
I have both a G-19 with Glock 15-rd. magazines and a G-43X with 15-rd. Shield magazines. They both function 100% and both hold 16 rounds. The 43x is noticeably easier to carry than the 19, although the 19 is by no means a problem to wear.

The 19, for me at least, is MUCH easier to shoot accurately in rapid fire drills. I would much rather have the 19 in my hand if trouble rolled around than the 43X. But I like them both.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/01/21
Originally Posted by Cattledog
G19 isn’t going anywhere, but would like to see Shield offer a mag upgrade as they’ve done for 43x/48.

Good to know because I've been on the notify list for months and nuttin. Ordered some on backorder and we'll see what happens.

So far neither of the 43x's the wife and I have are near as controllable as the plethora of 19s and a good bit behind my 26 which is easily as accurate as any of the 19's or 17's. That hump hits my palm in a great spot.

Hell I'd like Shield to make a 19x capacity mag on the size of a 12 round 26 mag.

I suspect that a Shield-type upgrade for the G-19 might not be a simple proposition at all, because the G-19 magazine is already a true double-stack magazine. The Shield upgrade for the G-43x is simply a steel magazine with enough internal room to hold a double stack of cartridges, as opposed to the factory 43x magazine, which holds a stack that is only slightly staggered and is not much more than a single stack magazine.

If Shield, or anyone else, made a steel magazine for the G-19, G-17, etc., the internal volume would be such that you would be making a 2 1/2 or maybe even a triple stack magazine. I would expect that perfect function would be difficult to achieve.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/02/21
So the meme seems to be...buy a compact gun for concealed carry, hang a bunch of tactical junk all over it so it's too big to carry...complain that it's obsolete because of size.
Posted By: Cattledog Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by JLimbo

Good to know because I've been on the notify list for months and nuttin. Ordered some on backorder and we'll see what happens.

JL
I believe ordering is key, their fulfillment prioritizes orders over a notify list. Good luck !
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

I suspect that a Shield-type upgrade for the G-19 might not be a simple proposition at all, because the G-19 magazine is already a true double-stack magazine. The Shield upgrade for the G-43x is simply a steel magazine with enough internal room to hold a double stack of cartridges, as opposed to the factory 43x magazine, which holds a stack that is only slightly staggered and is not much more than a single stack magazine.

If Shield, or anyone else, made a steel magazine for the G-19, G-17, etc., the internal volume would be such that you would be making a 2 1/2 or maybe even a triple stack magazine. I would expect that perfect function would be difficult to achieve.

During the high cap ban I bought a steel 15 round mag for the G19.

Piece
of
Chit!

Pretty consistent jams.
Smashed it flat and sent it to the dump.

10 rounds, available on the trigger, beat 15 stored in the butt
of a jammed up gun.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by SargeMO
One has to wonder how much these youtube videos affect sales.

I don't know how they affect sales, but marketing companies sure do see the benefit of having YouTubers shill their clients' products to their audience. MAC just makes his shilling super obvious. And yes, the word "obsolete" basically means nothing at this point. Have a look at this graph by Leviathan media group:

[Linked Image from s2.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz]
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Saw it yesterday. Left my comments on his ridiculous proposition under the video.

And that’s the whole point...get attention with his assertions...it’s how he makes money. It’s no different than the days of gun writers stimulating newsstand sales to the perpetual beat beat of “.45 vs 9mm!!!!!” “THE 16 GAUGE IS OBSOLETE!!!!!!!” “REVOLVER vs AUTOMATIC!!!!!” “THE 16 GAUGE- PERFECT ALL-AROUND SHOTGUN!!!!!!” “.38 vs 9mm!!!” “THE .38 SPECIAL IS OBSOLETE!!!!” “THE .38 SOECIAL IS STILL THE IDEAL REVOLVER CARTRIDGE!!!”

Can you hear the churning?

I have a few Glocks, from “no Gen” to Gen 5. No Glock is obsolete and the truth still holds that the guy working on wearing out his Glock or any other pistol of any generation is more likely to prevail when it counts than is the guy who obsesses over magazine capacity and other minutiae.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/02/21
I know that at least one pair of YouTube reviewers was outted for selling favorable reviews. They charged companies $1500-$2500 per review.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by cra1948

And that’s the whole point...get attention with his assertions...it’s how he makes money. It’s no different than the days of gun writers stimulating newsstand sales to the perpetual beat beat of “.45 vs 9mm!!!!!” “THE 16 GAUGE IS OBSOLETE!!!!!!!” “REVOLVER vs AUTOMATIC!!!!!” “THE 16 GAUGE- PERFECT ALL-AROUND SHOTGUN!!!!!!” “.38 vs 9mm!!!” “THE .38 SPECIAL IS OBSOLETE!!!!” “THE .38 SOECIAL IS STILL THE IDEAL REVOLVER CARTRIDGE!!!”

Can you hear the churning?

I have a few Glocks, from “no Gen” to Gen 5. No Glock is obsolete and the truth still holds that the guy working on wearing out his Glock or any other pistol of any generation is more likely to prevail when it counts than is the guy who obsesses over magazine capacity and other minutiae.

Well said.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/03/21
I would not replace my G26 with either G19 or G48. I can see how civilian would pick G48 for daily carry with factory magazine over G19. There is no question the G48 it is easier to carry all day gun. Glock brought out the G48 in anticipation of 10 cartridge magazine requirement. I think of G48 as obese persons with small hands CWW gun.
Posted By: MGunns Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/03/21
Obsolete? No sir!
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/03/21
The G48 replaced the G19 for me. I love the gun and I am not a fat guy with small hands.
Posted By: Rob96 Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/03/21
Obviously it has become obsolete for Mac, but for the people who have been there and done that it obviously hasn't.
As soon as all black versions of the 43X hit the market, I bought one. I was enthusiastic, and planned on also ordering some of those 15 round magazines for it. It seemed ideal. Took it to the range, and it cut the heck out of the top of the web of my hand with slide bite. Took it to the rage a few more times, and had the same thing happen, regardless of how I adjusted my grip. I sold it. That never happened with any previous model of Glock that I've shot, not even with my 42 or standard 43. Inexplicable, but it happened. Don't know why.

That aside, I actually preferred the feel of the 19, and have no trouble carrying it concealed daily, so my attraction to the 43X was more novelty-driven than anything else.
Glock 19 is about as obsolete as the .30-06.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
So the meme seems to be...buy a compact gun for concealed carry, hang a bunch of tactical junk all over it so it's too big to carry...complain that it's obsolete because of size.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that myself.

All the extra trash kind of defeats the purpose of going smaller for the carry piece. I have a light on the bedside/house pistol, not on my daily carry.

My everyday carry, lately, is the G19, with tritium sights, and a Hogue grip sleeve. It's a nice clean package that conceals easily, carries easily, shoots easily, has good ammo capacity with standard-length issue magazines.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that myself.

All the extra trash kind of defeats the purpose of going smaller for the carry piece. I have a light on the bedside/house pistol, not on my daily carry.

My everyday carry, lately, is the G19, with tritium sights, and a Hogue grip sleeve. It's a nice clean package that conceals easily, carries easily, shoots easily, has good ammo capacity with standard-length issue magazines.

Right. The 19 is right in that Goldilocks zone.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/03/21
Mac "jumped the shark" on that video.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/04/21
Don't tell Glockdufus.. LOL
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/04/21
Originally Posted by MOGC
I know that at least one pair of YouTube reviewers was outted for selling favorable reviews. They charged companies $1500-$2500 per review.

Yep.
Posted By: goalie Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/04/21
Obsolete has a meaning, and G19 doesn't fit it.

Since I've switched to the M&P 2.0, however, the 4" compact has made the G19 irrelevant to me.

😜
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/04/21
One thing that *should* drive down the price of polymer frame handguns is the technology that's appeared since their introduction 40 or so years ago. The high speed, high precision CNC machining centers of today can produce injection molds that are ready to go right out of the machine. Manufacturers are catching on to the fact that there's money to be made by producing and selling high quality polymer framed auto pistols for $300.

I'd bet that the price of manufacturing one is under $100.

As I've mentioned on here, I recently bought a Ruger Security 9 new for $300. It's obvious that it was designed to directly compete with the Glock 19.,..which sells for considerably more. Other manufacturers have came out with quality, low price polymer frame 9mms that closely mimic the size, shape, and weight of the Glock 19.

Taurus introduced a model that was selling in the $200 range before the gun shortage pushed its price up a bit.

I know a lot of people look down their nose at Taurus products. But they've sold a trainload of them and it's hard to find a bad review of them.

Basically, they're a fairly simple thing to produce. Once a manufacturer gets tooled up to produce them they can crank them out like shelling peas.

They're a huge moneymaker,..and the manufacturers who are still selling them in the $500-$600 range are making a killing on them.

But that price range isn't going to last.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/06/21
Originally Posted by Slavek
I would not replace my G26 with either G19 or G48. I can see how civilian would pick G48 for daily carry with factory magazine over G19. There is no question the G48 it is easier to carry all day gun. Glock brought out the G48 in anticipation of 10 cartridge magazine requirement. I think of G48 as obese persons with small hands CWW gun.

^^^^^^^^^^^POTATO
Why people give any credibility to the opinions of that guy are beyond me. The local school crossing guard's opinion has about the same level of value as this internet attention seeking mouth piece.

I did not watch the video, nor will I as he is not worth my time.
Glocks are of an antique design. They have been left behind by improved technology and manufacturing in both arms and ammo.

The real question is why civilians ever bothered with them. Our needs were met with the first DAO J-frame. A better tool for the job is yet to come.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/07/21

They're a huge moneymaker,..and the manufacturers who are still selling them in the $500-$600 range are making a killing on them.

But that price range isn't going to last.
How many years have you been saying that now? Why should Glock lower their price when they can sell all they make at the current price? You're always busting on Glock but never on the other makers like S&W, CZ, etc., who sell at the same general price range.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/07/21
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Glocks are of an antique design. They have been left behind by improved technology and manufacturing in both arms and ammo.

The real question is why civilians ever bothered with them. Our needs were met with the first DAO J-frame. A better tool for the job is yet to come.

You forgot to add "sarcasm" to your post.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/10/21

JL
I believe ordering is key, their fulfillment prioritizes orders over a notify list. Good luck !

Thanks CD. Got my notice today that they've shipped. Time to switch out mag catches.
Posted By: Cattledog Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 03/13/21

JL

Thanks CD. Got my notice today that they've shipped. Time to switch out mag catches.

Hey that’s good news, glad I could help !
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/03/23
My G19 became obsolete when I got a S&W M&P Compact 2.

MM
I always go back to Glock.
Posted By: TWR Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/03/23
To each his own, I sold both of my M&P 2.0 Compacts, complete with Apex triggers, when I got my first G19.5, still have it, another one and an MOS version.

Nothing really wrong with the M&P's but I hate aftermarket parts on a carry pistol and couldn't live with the stock triggers.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/03/23
If the G-19 is Obsolete - What is the 1911?

~ Pre-Historic?
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/03/23
Nothing is obsolete, unless parts support or industry compatibility cease to exist. The vast majority of shooters will themselves become obsolete before any of our current carry guns.
Posted By: JOG Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/03/23
Originally Posted by P_Weed
If the G-19 is Obsolete - What is the 1911?

~ Pre-Historic?

I don't think so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
My G19 became obsolete when I got a S&W M&P Compact 2.

MM

Exactly. My 19 will stay but it won’t be carried. The 2.0 compact is perfect.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/06/23
Simply inane clickbait
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/07/23
This is what I meant when I said that the Glock 19s price was obsolete.

Glock 19, $620

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/106729/glock+g19+g5+9mm+15+1+4.0+mos+fs

Ruger Security 9. (with 2 magazines) $347 (I bought one for $299 at Rural King about a year ago) Same weight as a Glock 19. Virtually the same dimensions as a Glock 19. Same magazine capacity as a Glock 19. Trigger is very compatible to a Glock 19. Very good sights. Mine has been flawless through 400 rounds or so,..various hand loaded HPs as well as 115 grain factory FMJs.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...r+3810+security+9+9mm+15+1+black+polymer

I don't believe someone is any less armed with a Ruger Security 9 than they would be with a Glock 19 and you can buy one for 56% of the price of a Glock 19 and get a spare magazine in the bargain.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/07/23
All glocks are wrong for me because they do not point where I look, the S&W M&P format easily beats glock in this regard.
Originally Posted by Wrapids
All glocks are wrong for me because they do not point where I point and look.
Shoot a thousand rounds with one and it will.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/08/23
All glocks are wrong for me because they do not point where I point and look.
Shoot a thousand rounds with one and it will.
M&P shoots where I look from the start.
Posted By: TWR Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/08/23
I shoot Glocks, M&P’s, 1911’s and revolvers, they all point where you aim. It’s not the gun…
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/08/23
Originally Posted by TWR
I shoot Glocks, M&P’s, 1911’s and revolvers, they all point where you aim. It’s not the gun…
If you say so, but like many others, Glock grips feel square clumsy and don't point where I look.
Originally Posted by TWR
If you say so, but like many others, Glock grips feel square clumsy and don't point where I look.
I was in that club, myself, till I decided to buy a Glock and wring the heck out of it for a few weeks at the range. Next thing I knew, it pointed as naturally as my 1911 or Browning High Power. Been that way for me ever since.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/09/23
Originally Posted by TWR
I was in that club, myself, till I decided to buy a Glock and wring the heck out of it for a few weeks at the range. Next thing I knew, it pointed as naturally as my 1911 or Browning High Power. Been that way for me ever since.

LOL
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by TWR

LOL
You don't agree?
Posted By: MichiGun Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 01/09/23
I have owned 6 Glocks of various models from 9MM to .45 ACP, hoping to find one that worked for me. Sold or traded 5 away, and gave the G-27 to friend of mine who loves Glocks.

Plastic...give me the Sig 320.
Posted By: dtenentin Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/06/23
Just because a gun is ""old"" or has been around for a while, doesn't necessarily mean it's outdated or less efficient.
I've owned a few Glocks myself, but I'm more of a Sig guy myself. I just love the feel of those 320s. But to each their own, right?
If you're in the market for something new, have you checked out the BERGARA BXR .22LR SEMI-AUTO? It's a great gun for hunting and I think it's even possible to use it for self-protection.
If you want to see it for yourself, you can check it out at walkeroutdoors dot net. It's one of my favorite guns.
Take care!
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Glock 19 is obsolete - 02/06/23

+!
© 24hourcampfire