Home
Posted By: hardway Stupid idea - 03/04/21
I already know how many will answer this but with the newer bullets and powders does it make sense to own any5hing besides a 9mm for self defense anymore? I am on a kick to consolidate ammo ....I don’t handgun hunt or do any competitions.....I just shoot enough to stay proficient.

Used to be REALLY into 10mm.....I have 5 different pistols and a couple thousand rounds just collecting dust.... thinking about dumping everything except 9mm and 22 rimfire (pistols) and reinvesting in a Dillon 750.
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21
If you're gonna do it (sell).... now's the time.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21
Originally Posted by hardway
I already know how many will answer this but with the newer bullets and powders does it make sense to own any5hing besides a 9mm for self defense anymore? I am on a kick to consolidate ammo ....I don’t handgun hunt or do any competitions.....I just shoot enough to stay proficient.

Used to be REALLY into 10mm.....I have 5 different pistols and a couple thousand rounds just collecting dust.... thinking about dumping everything except 9mm and 22 rimfire (pistols) and reinvesting in a Dillon 750.

Agree 100%. Nine Luger FMJ costs between 8€ and 15€ per pack of 50 depending what brand and what is on special promo price. One can not beat that for newly manufactured centerfire handgun ammo.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21
I already know how many will answer this but with the newer bullets and powders does it make sense to own any5hing besides a 9mm for self defense anymore?
No.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21
I have no desire to simplify things that much.
If you feel the need to, live it up!
Posted By: RufusG Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21
There are definitely advantages to standardization on fewer cartridges if it works for you. I've pretty much gone that way, but if I was younger I might still be more interested in experimenting with various different things than consolidating
Posted By: TWR Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21
Well there’s consolidating and then there’s having options.

I remember after Sandy Hook, 22lr, 9mm, 45 and 223 ammo and bullets were gone with everything else. 40 cal ammo was usually sitting on the shelf and 204 bullets were available. I shot my 204 as much as I wanted until things got back to normal.

Now I’ve consolidated to 4 pistol calibers just to have options.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21
For the use you described, probably not.
Posted By: viking Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21
I don’t buy into the newer bullet/powder concept. That stuff is hard to find and expensive.

For me it’s what’s the most effective with the most plentiful/cheapest bullet. Is it the 40 with a flat point? 45 ball? 44 with hard cast?
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21
With the exception of one .380 as a backup, I have carried the 9mm exclusively for self defense for over six years.

As I get older, I have realized that stuff that is sitting around collecting dust is just clutter. But, you don't have to go all-or-nothing in getting rid of stuff. If you have 5 10mm guns and thousands of rounds of ammo, you could hold back the one you like(d) the most and a few hundred rounds of ammo and sell the rest.
Posted By: pullit Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21
It is a lot easier to load for one or two calibers than 5 or 6.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21

I would rather have options and not be limited
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Stupid idea - 03/04/21

If, as you say, you only shoot enough to stay proficient and you've already got 1,000's of rounds of ammo, to me it only makes sense to stick with what you've already got on hand. Why spend $$ (especially at today's prices and scarcity) on a new reloading setup, components and guns if you don't shoot very much? Doesn't seem worth it to me in this case.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Stupid idea - 03/07/21
A man ought to do what he feels is right. I have pared down, to simplify ammo/component procurement, long before the most recent Stupid landed. I don't have anything against the nine anymore than I do the Toyota Prius. I could get most places I need to go in one, but you won't find one in my driveway.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Stupid idea - 03/07/21
well, akenthe recent ammo shortage. every store I have been in has ahd ample 10mm and 40 SW ammo, no 9mm ammo
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Stupid idea - 03/07/21
Do what you want. Since my shoulder replacements, 99% of my shooting has been 22LR/223/9mm. I'd keep 1-2 in the others that you have a feeling for and dump the rest. I disagree somewhat on keeping oddball calibers around for tough times when you can't find the regulars. As an example, if you take the money that you would've spent on a .40 and used it to stock up, you'd have a spare 1-2 cases of 9mm sitting around. Just make it your emergency supply.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Stupid idea - 03/07/21
I've pared down, too. smile

9mm
45 acp
45 colt
41 mag
10mm
762x39
762x54R
30-06
45/70
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Stupid idea - 03/07/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I've pared down, too. smile

9mm
45 acp
45 colt
41 mag
10mm
762x39
762x54R
30-06
45/70

Me too! :
9mm
.40 S&W
10mm
6.5-300
.340 Wby
.375 Wby

Have a bunch of other calibers, including those dedicated for my boys' uses. But those are the only ones I shoot/use. I would drop the .40 S&W, but I have a bunch of fine pistols chambered for it and a ton of ammo acquired before the 10mm bug bit me.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Stupid idea - 03/08/21
Originally Posted by pullit
It is a lot easier to load for one or two calibers than 5 or 6.

Is it?
© 24hourcampfire