Home
Posted By: RipSnort S&W ejector rod backing out. - 03/09/21
I've got a well-used S&W 15 that has a problem with the ejector rod backing out to the point that it jams cylinder rotation. This happens with normal firing of the revolver. I now tighten it up after every 25 shots. Is there a way to keep the ejector rod screwed in place? Everything else about this revolver is perfection.

Thanks, RS
Perhaps some blue Locktight?
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Perhaps some blue Locktight?

This. Just remember it's reverse threaded and you'll be fine. Clean and degrease everything in there while you're at it.

Okie John
Whatever gripping tool you use, apply the lightest possible pressure and pad the jaws with leather heavy enough that its teeth don't bite into the serrations on the end of the rod. I believe the -2 series should be left hand thread, but check for yourself to be sure. I'll second the blue loctite.
Posted By: JOG Re: S&W ejector rod backing out. - 03/09/21
[Linked Image from cdn-fsly.yottaa.net]

Extractor Rod Tool (Large) - $22.99
Alternate charge holes, but stuff in 3 empty cases while tightening ejector rod.
Posted By: SS336 Re: S&W ejector rod backing out. - 03/09/21
A old wooden clothes pin and a pair of Visegrips works in a pinch. Empty cases in the cylinder, works like a charm. I have used this a few times.
I'd avoid real thread locker if at all possible. Try something "natural" (and easy to undo) like bee's wax.

If you MUST use real thread locker, just the tiniest little pin point.
Thanks for the excellent tips. I'm on it.

RS
Blue Locktight is a softer thread locker, not the hard stuff like Red Locktight. Don't use that. If you have issues trying to remove the ejector use a hairdryer and it will soften the Blue Locktight. You don't need much of it either.
Posted By: K1500 Re: S&W ejector rod backing out. - 03/09/21
I would use purple permatex:

OEM specified. Low strength threadlocker designed for fasteners under 1/4″ (6mm) that require occasional adjustment. Removable with hand tools for easy disassembly. Noncorrosive. Conforms to ASTM D 5363 AN0311 (Mil-S-46163A, Type II, Grade M).
© 24hourcampfire