Home
Posted By: Jeffrey Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/03/21
Hi everyone. I’m thinking about getting a sidearm for hunting in bear country. I’m thinking I want to go with a 10mm Glock and am trying to decide between the 20 and 29. I haven’t shot either pistol and I am interested to hear the opinions of those of you that have. Which would you choose as a sidearm for bears or other potentially dangerous critters? The 29 has a 10 round capacity which is plenty I think. I don’t plan on this being used as a primary hunting gun and the shorter barrel shouldn’t be much of an issue as I’m thinking any shots that really matter would be at close range. My only concern is the short grip/magazine well on the 29. How is the recoil in the 29 compared to the 20 and how does that shorter grip do when you need quick weapon deployment and successional shots? I’m interested to hear what y’all have to say. Thanks for any input!

-Jeff
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/04/21
Look up how much velocity you'd lose in the 29. That may matter to you. The big advantage of the 29 is the easier concealability but that's not a big factor in wilderness.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/04/21
Glock 20 all the way!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/04/21
Originally Posted by Esox357
Glock 20 all the way!

Yep.

I've had both and only have the G20 now. The 29 shot well but took a lot more focus.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/04/21
If you plan to carry the handgun exposed, which seems likely so you have fast access to it in an emergency, then the 29's only real advantage is a little bit of weight savings. I chose a G20 and mostly carry it in a Diamond D Guides Choice chest rig. I've killed deer, hog, a rattlesnake in a foul mood and been in a stare down with a black bear at 20 yards. It's a good woods gun.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/04/21
I load my 10 mm 180 xtp’s fairly warm, and the recoil with my Glock 20 has a significant enough effect on the speed at which I can put out aimed shots that I don’t think I’d want to go any smaller for the purpose you’re considering.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/04/21
Thanks everyone. All good input. I was leaning to the 20 and I think y’all have helped seal the deal.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/04/21
I got a 20sf, and like it. I can’t say anything about the 29.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/04/21
G40!!!! G40!!!!

After getting that, the G20 is a spare out on my Colorado property. The G40 and G29 get carried. The G29 recoils a lot more than the G20 or G40 with hot loads and loses a lot of velocity, but it is much more compact. I can't believe that would matter for the OP's purposes. G40.

FWIW:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I haven't shot a 29 but my 20 is quickly becoming one of my favorite pistols. I wouldn't mind getting a 29 at some point.
Posted By: goalie Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/07/21

I shoot a 20 a LOT better than a 29.
Posted By: mannyspd1 Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/08/21
For me, I shot my 20 much better than the 29, including fast repeat shots using sear reset. I also put a 6 inch KKM barrel on it, and a 22# recoil spring. The longer barrel gives 100-150 fps more than the stock 4.6 barrel on the 20, depending on the load.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/08/21
Go with the 20. I have a 29 and went that way for the size and weight savings, that was important to me. After having it a while, I don't think much was gained. If you do get a 29, put a pinkie extension on the mag(s), it will really help you maintain a solid grip.
Posted By: MarkinGA Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/08/21
For your purpose I strongly prefer the G20 over the G29. Having carried a G40 for the last three years hunting I suggest you consider it as well. You aren’t concealing it and its more important to have controlled well placed shots (possibly under duress). I believe this is much easier to achieve with G20 and easiest with G40!

Mark in GA
Posted By: bulkie_roll Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/08/21
#1 = G40

#2 = G20
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
G40!!!! G40!!!!

After getting that, the G20 is a spare out on my Colorado property. The G40 and G29 get carried. The G29 recoils a lot more than the G20 or G40 with hot loads and loses a lot of velocity, but it is much more compact. I can't believe that would matter for the OP's purposes. G40.

FWIW:

I love this comparison!
I have a dan wesson Bruin, and a g40 with a KKM barrel!!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/08/21
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
..fast repeat shots using sear reset. )

Please explain what you mean by this.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/09/21
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
..fast repeat shots using sear reset. )

Please explain what you mean by this.

I think he means to not let the trigger come all the way forward.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/09/21
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

I love this comparison!
I have a dan wesson Bruin, and a g40 with a KKM barrel!!

I love them both, but the DW Bruin almost belongs in the Louvre. What a work of machining and art.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/09/21
OP needs a G40 because you might get attacked by a Chinese rifle platoon just after you fend off the bear:

Posted By: 65BR Re: Glock 20 vs. Glock 29 - 04/12/21
Talked to a guy who just bought a G40, his buddy shot it, 25 yds, open sights, nice group, has adjustable sights.

After handling it, I am no longer thinking it's too big or heavy........it's proportioned well for a round in the 10 realm of ballistics.........still smaller than 6" Revolver. I am guessing the blast is less than say a 41 in a 6" - given lower powder charge, no cylinder gap.

I would feel fine with a G20, but would compare before buying, the G40 just might be the better mousetrap given the potential in a 10mm.

The Adjustable sights alone are a big deal for me.........might not matter at close quarters, but can't hurt and you could hunt deer and hogs/pigs with it.
© 24hourcampfire